PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controller / Guage question from a n00b :D

jamesfrancis
23rd August 2011, 06:30 PM
With the imminent arrival of my EDS IPF unit I am in the market for a manual boost controller / boost gauge set up so I can get some more of this BOOST I hear so much about ;)

Are there any brands in particular I should go for?

And as far as installation goes are they pretty straight forward to put in?

I wouldn't mind one of those sweet looking pillar set ups, are they all DIY or can you buy them ready made?

Cheers guys :D

boorny88
23rd August 2011, 06:34 PM
Mate just get a boost gauage your boost goes up with the tunes so no need for it and todd has had issues with it before brands for the gauge auto meter and defi are some of the top ones and fittment i can help with that

jamesfrancis
23rd August 2011, 06:57 PM
Mate just get a boost gauage your boost goes up with the tunes so no need for it and todd has had issues with it before brands for the gauge auto meter and defi are some of the top ones and fittment i can help with that

Cheers mate thanks for the info! I will check those brands out right now :D That would b great if you could help me out man, muchos gracias senor ;)

Nurb608
23rd August 2011, 06:58 PM
As matty said, just go mucking around with the boost, you can only adjust it as far as the map allows you to anyway which you can do via the actuator.

jamesfrancis
23rd August 2011, 08:07 PM
Okay so now I am super confused ha ha! I thought I could just pick one and buy it and that was that but it doesn't seem so straight forward...

I like these, Auto Meter Nexus Series (http://egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Nexus), can I just buy the boost gauge or do I need anything else to get it to work?

Thanks again guys :D

Nurb608
23rd August 2011, 08:30 PM
Okay so now I am super confused ha ha! I thought I could just pick one and buy it and that was that but it doesn't seem so straight forward...

I like these, Auto Meter Nexus Series (http://egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Nexus), can I just buy the boost gauge or do I need anything else to get it to work?

Thanks again guys :D

You need the control module as well ;) That's the set of gauges I run in my car, bloody awesome, fully programmable and can record. If you decide to go down that route, there is a good eBay store that ive got parts for that system from.

jamesfrancis
23rd August 2011, 08:54 PM
You need the control module as well ;) That's the set of gauges I run in my car, bloody awesome, fully programmable and can record. If you decide to go down that route, there is a good eBay store that ive got parts for that system from.

How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking) for your set up Nurb? They look awesome, do you have any pic's of yours in your car?

Sidenote - your build number, 608, is also the number of my hotel room where me and my mates stayed 3 years ago, and it was nicknames Sick08 ha ha :D

UNEEQ
23rd August 2011, 09:12 PM
The boost controller makes it quicker to play and get the level right, you don't have to play with the actuator, but once the actuator is set, it's set, no more playing. Not really that hard.

The map probably isn't going to run the boost at the upper limit allowed so if you do want to get the most out of it, some trial and error will be required :)

As far as the gauge, I have one that shows me boost AND vacuum rather than just boost. I'd go for one with 30PSI if you are serious about stage 3, otherwise, 20PSI should do!

The ones you have linked are electric, so you will need parts to connect it. The one I have is mechanical, so still needs connection, but it's one hose straight into the FPR hose rather than the hose going from there to the kit, then electronic to the gauge and needing +ve and -ve connections.

I've done my own mounts. Yes you can get pre-made pillars, but this is personal preference. I prefer the metal cups and the mounts rather than the fibreglass moulded ones :)

More than happy to help you with fitting these things too mate! :p

Nurb608
23rd August 2011, 09:18 PM
How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking) for your set up Nurb? They look awesome, do you have any pic's of yours in your car?

Sidenote - your build number, 608, is also the number of my hotel room where me and my mates stayed 3 years ago, and it was nicknames Sick08 ha ha :D

I actually got mine second hand so cant compare. There should be some pics in my cars build thread. They are very accurate and very easy to install. I run boost, oil pressure, water temp and Air/Fuel.

boorny88
23rd August 2011, 09:37 PM
Electronic peice of piss did my cheap ass one haha take a bit of time bt just get the power from te cig lighter and done i got proper boost vaccum hose too

benzino
24th August 2011, 12:19 AM
just a thought... maybe a boost controller would be good in case you want to turn the boost down, it's not all about turning it up! hahaha

i.e. low boost for cruising/letting mates drive etc

two packages that are meant to be excellent are the HDI boost gauge and controller combo and the almighty Turbosmart eboost2 (with your choice of gauge)

just a thought

Nurb608
24th August 2011, 07:20 AM
just a thought... maybe a boost controller would be good in case you want to turn the boost down, it's not all about turning it up! hahaha

i.e. low boost for cruising/letting mates drive etc

two packages that are meant to be excellent are the HDI boost gauge and controller combo and the almighty Turbosmart eboost2 (with your choice of gauge)

just a thought

If i was to choose out of those 2, i'd go the eboost 2 and as you said, have a standard boost and low boost option, pretty much what Gav had setup on his car.

UNEEQ
24th August 2011, 09:10 AM

have a standard boost and low boost option

*LIKE* Strong argument for the controller option :)

CNBLU
24th August 2011, 11:53 AM
I have the eboost2, like Rory said I have low/high boost function which I use. It has so many other features which I don't use. It also dbls as a boost gauge!

Shay
24th August 2011, 03:42 PM
todd how can you stand so firmly behind boost controllers when yours has never run good with one on?

the AH ecu is very finnicky, granted i cant confirm or deny whether the EDS IPF will stop this, but is it worth the risk of having a car that will go into limp all the time?
all for adding the controllers on the lower tech G's tho... they work well from what ive seen and read.

max boost (on overboost) of the VXR turbo is about 22psi
20psi gauge should be enough, if your often sitting above 20, that turbo will be fried soon.

Nurb608
24th August 2011, 05:00 PM
*LIKE* Strong argument for the controller option :)

That's what the sports button is for on the H lol

jamesfrancis
24th August 2011, 07:47 PM
That's what the sports button is for on the H lol

Ha ha good sheet ;)

UNEEQ
24th August 2011, 09:15 PM
todd how can you stand so firmly behind boost controllers when yours has never run good with one on?

The only reason mine doesn't run fine is because I've been obsessed with pushing it beyond the maximum parameters of the map. If I left it sitting down on 9-10PSI, there would be no problem what-so-ever, which is still a good gain on stock 6PSI. At this setting, I never got limp mode... ever.

The IPF will change the map, and thus the boost and the maximum parameters again, which will give a higher boost threshold still. So let's say stage 1 gives 10PSI with a max of 14 (as opposed to 6 and 10), then so long as one doesn't try to set their boost beyond 13-14, they will be fine.

Adjusting the actuator is no different (well,... let's save that debate for another day) than using the boost controller, except that I can jump out of the cabin, pop the hood, and turn the boost down or up as desired for day to day driving to work and back, or on the weekend and I can remember how many turns & clicks for my preferred settings. If I were to do that with the actuator, I would need tools, and I wouldn't be able to acurately measure where I need it set to.

Regardless of arguement, I maintain that it is because of my own insatiability for increased boost that I have had the troubles that I have.

Oh, and not all the maps put normal mode at 6psi and the sports mode at 21 Rory :p

dutchy
24th August 2011, 09:32 PM
I would recommend an ebc too. Am using the e-boost street myself and have no problems whatsoever. As long as it's set lower than the parameters of the map. The advantage that I've noticed is that it's better in controlling the actuator holding boost than the original system through the ecu. You set it to for instance 18 psi and it'll stay on 18 psi till redline (obviously with an upgraded actuator). They are a bit more expensive but I think it's worth it ...........and they look good too.

Nurb608
25th August 2011, 07:51 AM
Oh, and not all the maps put normal mode at 6psi and the sports mode at 21 Rory :p

You can't set an EBC lower than the break off pressure of the actuator which is about 10psi on the vxr turbo ;) My top end boost is only 18.

UNEEQ
25th August 2011, 09:10 AM
You can't set an EBC lower than the break off pressure of the actuator which is about 10psi on the vxr turbo ;) My top end boost is only 18.

I know that! lol, and stock is 6PSI on SRi Turbo, but in higher maps I'm assuming the boost is modified by the boost solinoid restricting the amount of air flowing to the actuator. Mine isn't an EBC, it's a bleed valve, so isn't going to have the features or accuracy that dutchy is speaking of. My point about having a standard map boost and a higher setting around the upper limitation of the perameters is made though :)

James: Get the Turbosmart eBoost. The guys here like them and recommend them. Dan @ MYC thinks they are a great little unit (he's told me personally before)... and everyone trusts Turbosmart as a brand. Even my bleed valve is a Turbosmart :D

gman
25th August 2011, 03:44 PM
I run 28psi, does that count??? ;)

The eBoost, Apexi AVC-R (had one fitted) and HKS EVC (was going to fit it before I went to a standalone ECU) are the best three on the market IMHO..All have different features and different abilities.

benzino
26th August 2011, 12:25 PM
the eboost is Aussie made and is exported all over the world

therefore is the best

dutchy
26th August 2011, 01:11 PM
the eboost is Aussie made and is exported all over the world

therefore is the best

+1

kabel
26th August 2011, 02:11 PM
My Advice.
Forget the boost controller.
Once you have your EDS IPF map loaded up you will be happy.
Find a setup that is safe and relaible and stick with it.
Todd is happy to tinker and keep trying until he finds the magical ingredient,it is almost like a science experiment !
He has kids a wife and a mortgage and needs to escape on occasion,I understand his obsession :-)