PDA

View Full Version : Perth? who does your spannering?

4lex
13th August 2011, 01:05 PM
Gday all. Recently moved to Perth from Sydney, and need to find a decent mechanic who knows his was round a y26se engined vectra b. I'm getting a bunch of error codes from the ECU (9 at last count) and just don't seem to have the enthusiasm to start taking it apart - the mrs is cross that I haven't fixed it.

Can anyone recommend an honest and skilled bloke I could take it to?

Cheers,
Alex

-edit- I'm in Vic park, and I don't think the car's going to go much further :(

boorny88
13th August 2011, 01:07 PM
Most the guys over here cn help u depending on how serious it is bt i think a few of the boys recomend ramp auto as one of the lads that use to b on the site works there

UNEEQ
13th August 2011, 10:01 PM
How bout you do a pedal test and post us up the error codes. There's a thread somewhere with all the info, but it's hard to find (even in the search). Someone will let you know what they all mean, and we can go from there.

If you could make it down to Thornlie, I'd suggest Eddie at Thornlie Automotives. That's where I go. Have had a number of people screw me over with my modified vehicles a number of times. Unless I'm watching over people's shoulders, Eddie has the only person I've been able to trust with one of my cars in quite a long time.

Having said that, a couple of us are happy to travel a little to help people out, maybe one we have looked at the codes there'll be things we can help you with? :)

You've been on here since September 2006? and rarely posted? Welcome, kinda! Welcome to Perth, and start posting more! We're having a photo shoot on Wednesday evening. If you get things fixed by then, great, if not, you're welcome to come along shotgun, you're on way way through to location!

ChrisMaz
13th August 2011, 10:14 PM
Clearly you've done a pedal test. :p

So just post up the codes you got, and some of the guys will be able to tell you what's going on.

+1 to Ramp auto. Out in Malaga though. Ex Member runs it, and knows his Opels.

UNEEQ
13th August 2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah sorry, That's what I meant... I just tend not to word things terribly well some times :)

Bobarache
13th August 2011, 11:19 PM
I will PM you a good mate of mines details. He is a mobile mechanic with over 20 years experience on a huge range of cars. He is really honest guy and reasonable price.
Only trouble is he is always busy but worth a try.

4lex
14th August 2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks all. Yep, I've been pedalling, had so many error codes I had to video it on the phone to get them all down :(

p0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
p0340 CamshaftPosition sensor circuit high input
p0335 CrankshaftPosition sensor "A" circuit malfunction
p0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
p0300 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
p0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
p0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
p0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

I find it hard to believe all of this has gone bad together, so I'm hopeful of finding something more simple (occurred to me today if there's a voltage regulator issue it could be confusing the ecu...maybe...). Got so much on at the moment though that I can't seem to raise the enthusiasm to start pulling it apart. I've sent ramp an email and will call the others monday, thanks to all for the recommendations.

@uneeq, yeah I have been about for a while, in fact it was me that posted the thread with the error codes :) Not really up for the photoshoot thing, thanks for the offer. Just can't get excited about this car, it's more a grocery getter for the mrs. I'm happier in my lifted 80 on 35s or on my yamaha sports bike :) Mind you the motor in the vectra seems willing enough when it works, if I can get it back operational for smallish money I might see if I can sort out the woeful handling a bit and see if I like it any better :)

4lex
15th August 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. The guys I spoke to all wanted to just start swapping parts - nothing against them for that, just if that's the way it is I may as well do it myself. Two of them fancied plugs and/or coil packs as the likely cause, so reluctantly I got into it today (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?31024-test-y26se-coil-packs). If anyone's got any ideas about testing coil packs I'm all ears :)

Cheers,
Alex

ChrisMaz
15th August 2011, 05:30 PM
Contact autovaux.co.uk for parts. DO NOT bother with holden, or even your local and trust mechanic to buy parts. You will always get them cheaper from autovaux.

I was going to say after you posted, perhaps it was a coil pack. However, get some new plugs, drop them in, if it doesn't change anything. You know its the coilpack, and you have fresh plugs. Which is a good thing.

4lex
15th August 2011, 06:36 PM
Mate you're not kidding. Even the plugs - $30 each from three different high street parts shops, or $28 for all six from autovaux. Plugs and coil packs total $305 inc priority DHL 2 days delivery from autovaux, or $1170 from Holden and 'we could have them in by the end of the week.' Jokers.

lonewolf1983
16th August 2011, 11:28 PM
my friend Josh @ Galvsport does all my work.
based in ossie park, works on private jobs after hours from his dayjob running a 6 hoist shop...

if you need contact details let me know