PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes...

R3N
13th November 2004, 05:13 PM
I had a wee accident last night, I reversed in a hurry and without looking (car was rolling back as I had my foot on the clutch) and I rolled into a car parked on the street it had a bull bar so no damage to that car but my rear bumper's paint was cracked.

Now here's the thing. I'm not sure why only the paint was cracked, could it be that the bumper flexed and cracked the paint? But isn't the paint supposed to flexible as well? ie. if something similar had happened with the paint being flexible, would it not have cracked?

A few months back my car was loaned to someone who used the tow back and backed in to the trailer so I had to get the bumper fixed and resprayed. Could it be that the bodyshop did a lousy job with the respray? If so I'm going to call them up! I'm not sure if they didn't do a good job or is that how they were supposed to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous
13th November 2004, 05:39 PM
Pretty Much thats what Happens, My Rear Bar got hit and the Paint Cracked(Factory Paint) The paint will have a Flex Additive, But it wont take much to crack the Paint. Its only there so small Bumps will not affect the Paint.
But it does't cos that Much to get the Bar Resprayed.

NUTTTR
13th November 2004, 05:48 PM
All paint cracks... Depends on how much the bumper bent...
Body shop would use standard paint, if there's any marks on the bumper they'll use spray filler first, sand, then paint, and this stuff cracks like nothing else :) You'll probably find thick-ish chunks of paint and you can pull it off in big bits? That'd be why if so, otherwise, if they painted over stock paint, they just use normal paint and it cracks too :(

Mitch
13th November 2004, 07:03 PM
That's another Astra, i might sell mine before it's involved in an accident. :lol:

Bernard Siong
13th November 2004, 07:16 PM
lol mad avatar mitch

Mitch
13th November 2004, 07:39 PM
hehe sshhh lol :lol: :P