PDA

View Full Version : 38 NSW Speed Cameras to be turned off & dismantled

Drache Mithal
28th July 2011, 08:57 AM
http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-traffic/speed-cameras-minister-orders-38-to-be-switched-off-20110727-1hzcz.html

I like that this has been done but feel they should go further IMHO, like removing the one on cnr of Newbridge Rd & Henry Lawson @ Milperra, major cash cow that one is, especially with the 3 second green lights & 70 to 60 speed changes right before the lights.

dutchy
28th July 2011, 09:10 AM
could it be that these 38 cameras are the ones that bring in the least amount of money........... I won't be surprised if they announce 38 new camera sites in the very near future.

2002_XC
28th July 2011, 09:29 AM
The report says, if you actually read it, that it found the cameras were not installed to be revenue raisers. They were installed given consideration to the road conditions and the crash stats. Where the cameras have been identified that there is no impact on crash stats, they are being removed. The sites that do have an impact are remaining. Even the ones who catch 1 or 2 drivers a month. Clearly these types of sites do not generate revenue given the costs to operate the sites.

dutchy
28th July 2011, 09:48 AM
The report says, if you actually read it, that it found the cameras were not installed to be revenue raisers. They were installed given consideration to the road conditions and the crash stats. Where the cameras have been identified that there is no impact on crash stats, they are being removed. The sites that do have an impact are remaining. Even the ones who catch 1 or 2 drivers a month. Clearly these types of sites do not generate revenue given the costs to operate the sites.

I read the article but not the, probably 500 pages, actual report. I hear what you say but actually some of the cameras are set up at sites where there are no crashes at all. I do agree that a lot contribute to road safety but others don't and there's just no way they are there for safety. In qld for instance, there are a few, north of Brisbane, that are not there for safety reasons though they might say that. Anyway, that's just my opinion. The best is still not to speed at all (like me) :smile5:

hazrd
28th July 2011, 10:13 AM
:popcorn:

major cash cow

cash cow = too many leadfoots. Maybe if people focused more on their speed, the above statement wouldnt mean a thing ;)

Nurb608
28th July 2011, 10:16 AM
You'd need to leave a few cash cows in to pay for the maintenance contracts of all the cameras otherwise we'd pay for those contracts out of our tax ;)

dutchy
28th July 2011, 10:44 AM
You'd need to leave a few cash cows in to pay for the maintenance contracts of all the cameras otherwise we'd pay for those contracts out of our tax ;)

:lol:

if they could only make cameras that catch people driving tired, driving way under the speed limit or hogging the right lane.... that would make sense.

Wraith
28th July 2011, 12:49 PM

That's all well and good as long as where ever they are, they are highly visible or else they will not serve any use as a speed deterrent...

Daisy
28th July 2011, 01:07 PM

2002_XC
28th July 2011, 01:35 PM
Redflex make their money on installing and maintaining the cameras . Fines go to the stateand are used for other purposes. Maquarie owns a shitload of small businesses, redflex is one

Bloodnok
28th July 2011, 02:06 PM
Otherwise, why would Macquarie Bank be so keen to own them?

Anything you lease to a government body you can make big profits from by inflating prices. Same as banks rushing to own railway rolling stock in Britain - the train operating companies have to rent it, the government is subsidising them to do so, so what you've got essentially is taxpayers money straight into bank coffers. The actual object used (in this case speed cameras, in that case trains) is irrelevant - they are just looking for new ways to take government money.

Drache Mithal
29th July 2011, 09:00 AM
cash cow = too many leadfoots. Maybe if people focused more on their speed, the above statement wouldnt mean a thing ;)

i agree there's too many leadfoots out there that more than deserve the fines. I'm more thinking about the people (like myself) who've accidentally done 2-3 kms over the limit to get through a yellow light, because to brake sharply would cause an accident and get pinged breaking the speed limit for their troubles. IMHO the milperra camera (and probably others) should be red light cameras only and there should be more coppers out there in more random locations with speed camera's picking off the leadfoots. Having a big sign up advertising a speed camera will make people slow down in one location, but to get pulled over by a copper and have the sh*t scared out of you by said copper telling you off would make people slow down everywhere. Just my http://www.eventis.ws/Smileys/Eventis/2cents.gif :)

vectra.lee
29th July 2011, 12:27 PM
Some of the cameras in those sites I think are worth getting shut down.
I especially find speed cameras in the middle of motorways really silly.
In any case, 38 less threats on the road is better than nothing.

Vectracious
29th July 2011, 01:51 PM
Increased police prescence is the key - it's amazing at how well behaved everyone is when the cop car is in the next lane, then as soon as it turns off - everyones up to their antics again.....

dglewis80
29th July 2011, 02:03 PM
Just seen a example of the above.
Was following a cop car and had this dick teen up my arse, he floored it past me and then he jumped on the brakes as soon as he saw the cop car.

Nurb608
29th July 2011, 02:17 PM
Just seen a example of the above.
Was following a cop car and had this dick teen up my arse, he floored it past me and then he jumped on the brakes as soon as he saw the cop car.

You sure you want to say that on an open forum? :lol:

Bloodnok
29th July 2011, 02:30 PM
Increased police prescence is the key - it's amazing at how well behaved everyone is when the cop car is in the next lane, then as soon as it turns off - everyones up to their antics again.....

Yes, but also no.

What would be good is if they actually started ticketing people for such dangerous behaviour as tailgating, weaving from lane to lane, failing to move left after overtaking, overtaking on the wrong side, and dazzling other drivers. All of which are against road rules already, and have fine/points offences for them. And yet are a regular occurrence - I see several instances of these every single trip I take on the motorway here. More police presence enforcing this kind of thing would have a direct impact on the road toll by improving the standard of driving. Unfortunately, all that ever seems to be enforced on the motorway here is speeding checks. (In fact, I have seen plenty of police vehicles travelling in the wrong lane or dazzling other drivers themselves. Hardly setting a good example.)

Hand in hand with this, a further improvement in road safety could be obtained by ensuring overtaking moves are completed in a sensible timeframe. That means allowing a variance in speed between different vehicles flowing down the motorway. Part of the problem is everyone is travelling at too similar a speed, which results in dense little knots of traffic following very closely down the road. If there was more variance in speed, this would happen less - and the road would flow more freely.

As to how to achieve more variance in speed, no idea. Australia has a culture of "sitting on the limit", rather than thinking about what is reasonable and safe for the road and the conditions and driving accordingly. So simply raising the speed limit to mirror other countries would probably not help.

dutchy
29th July 2011, 04:21 PM
overtaking on the wrong side

I always thought this was allowed here !!!

Bloodnok
29th July 2011, 04:26 PM
I always thought this was allowed here !!!

Not on roads with 90km/h or higher speed limits. Above that, the other person should have pulled to the left when the left lane was free, and you should overtake on the right. With a road speed of 80km/h or below, the other person has no obligation to pull into the left lane (unless there is a sign saying "Keep left unless overtaking"), and then you can overtake on whatever side you like.

Though I still have a special dislike of people who deliberately drive up the left turn lane at a junction and then "suddenly" decide they need to merge back in.

Vectracious
29th July 2011, 04:59 PM
What would be good is if they actually started ticketing people for such dangerous behaviour as tailgating, etc

Of course that would be great - but how you'd need the entire force out there driving around giving tickets.

Bloodnok
29th July 2011, 05:04 PM
Of course that would be great - but how you'd need the entire force out there driving around giving tickets.

Heh, I like the sound of that :) People would figure out pretty fast to back off and maintain a safe following distance if there was that kind of ticketing blitz...

glider
29th July 2011, 08:47 PM
Not on roads with 90km/h or higher speed limits. Above that, the other person should have pulled to the left when the left lane was free, and you should overtake on the right. With a road speed of 80km/h or below, the other person has no obligation to pull into the left lane (unless there is a sign saying "Keep left unless overtaking"), and then you can overtake on whatever side you like.

Though I still have a special dislike of people who deliberately drive up the left turn lane at a junction and then "suddenly" decide they need to merge back in.

I was under the impression you had to merge left for 80km/hr signed roads... anything below that I happily sit in the right lane in the slow old truck :lol:

Bloodnok
29th July 2011, 10:33 PM
I was under the impression you had to merge left for 80km/hr signed roads... anything below that I happily sit in the right lane in the slow old truck :lol:

IIRC the wording was "above 80km/h", but as there aren't any 80km/h limit multi-lane roads I travel on anyway I didn't really care when reading the rules whether 80 was in or out - so you could well be right on that one. I know 90 is definitely a "stay left" and 70 is definitely "no requirement to stay left unless signed".

And as far as sitting in the right lane goes - if you're happy for people to pass you on the left, then I don't see sitting in the right hand lane as an issue on the kind of roads we're talking about. Multi-lane roads with speed limits in this range are generally peppered with traffic lights, roundabouts, side turnings and filter lanes - and if you're looking for a right hand turn, sticking to the right hand lane seems like a good idea. :) I try to move left anyway unless I know I'll be turning right within a few sets of lights. But then again, I don't particularly like people sneaking up on my left hand side ;)

Hoss
3rd August 2011, 11:29 AM

In Canberra, if the the road is signposted as 80kph you can legally drive in the right hand lane. If the posted speed limit is above 80kph, then it is illegal to drive continuously in the right lane.

dglewis80
3rd August 2011, 11:58 AM
Vic Road Rules

130. Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if—
(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane unless—
(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(b) the driver is overtaking; or
(c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or
(d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
(e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
(f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
(g) the traffic in every lane is congested.

Penalty: 2 penalty units.

http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazette/Gazettes1999/GG1999P002.pdf

vectra.lee
9th August 2011, 09:36 AM
Apparently some residents that live near certain speed cams have protested against the shut down of their local speed cam.
So some will still be operational, but only send warning notices instead of fines.

Drache Mithal
9th August 2011, 01:02 PM
I've heard they protested, but the Govt/RTA are still ripping them out if they're switched off. To leave them operational and send notices only would be cost prohibitive, they'd rather fine people and keep it operational if they did that...

chris_r
16th August 2011, 09:44 PM
Reading this, I wouldn't be surprised if these cameras were removed to make way for newer, higher-tech ones, with the old ones being pensioned off to SA. Our government here is tax mad and if the mob of clowns that run this state have their way, it ain't gonna take long before everyone here has a camera at the end of their driveway.

Drache Mithal
17th August 2011, 01:54 PM
The SA Govt sounds like the NSW Labor mob before they got the sack....

chris_r
17th August 2011, 08:34 PM
Haha, yeah. We've still got our useless Labor govt here for a couple more years yet unfortunately.

glider
17th August 2011, 10:12 PM
IIRC the wording was "above 80km/h", but as there aren't any 80km/h limit multi-lane roads I travel on anyway I didn't really care when reading the rules whether 80 was in or out - so you could well be right on that one. I know 90 is definitely a "stay left" and 70 is definitely "no requirement to stay left unless signed".

And as far as sitting in the right lane goes - if you're happy for people to pass you on the left, then I don't see sitting in the right hand lane as an issue on the kind of roads we're talking about. Multi-lane roads with speed limits in this range are generally peppered with traffic lights, roundabouts, side turnings and filter lanes - and if you're looking for a right hand turn, sticking to the right hand lane seems like a good idea. :) I try to move left anyway unless I know I'll be turning right within a few sets of lights. But then again, I don't particularly like people sneaking up on my left hand side ;)

just checked it again and worked out where I got it from, only read half of it but yeah, you're right its 90km or more

Keeping left

On single-lane roads, drivers must stay as close as practical to the left side of the road.
When the speed limit is 90 km/h or more on multi-lane roads, you must not drive in the right-hand lane unless you are:

overtaking
turning right
making a U-turn
avoiding an obstacle
driving in congested traffic.

It is an offence to drive in the right lane if none of the above criteria are occurring.
This rule also applies to a road with a speed limit of 80 km/h or less, if there is a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign.
Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multi-lane roads.

vectra.lee
15th September 2011, 11:34 AM
Just as well, they get rid of some...and put up new ones instead.
I think this was predicted...but yeh.
Seeing a few more pop up around Sydney.
Can't remember specific location but there was a new one near Petersham going towards Newtown.
M4 entrance from Silverwater road they put an extra one.
And more...