PDA

View Full Version : Slow engineers

benzino
27th July 2011, 04:36 PM
Just a quick "what should I do?"

I'm having a bracket fabricated for the electro-hyd power steering pump.

First off they said it would take a week as they were very busy, it turned into a week and a half, and they welded the bracket the wrong way, they fixed it in 20mins so i paid and took it home.

when I got home i had a real good look at it and some of the angles weren't 90deg and it also had a lot of flex in it (i told them to make it out of 6mm steel, they made it out of 3mm "for weight")

so they said they would have it done by this afternoon, I just rang up and they said it wouldn't be done by next tuesday "because they are so busy"

am I getting jerked around, I sure feel like it
but I have no idea what I can do, my hands are tied.

I haven't driven my car for nearly 2 months, and I miss it! stupid squealing belt...:emo:

guy 27
27th July 2011, 04:38 PM
find someone else you know with a welder ;)

benzino
28th July 2011, 02:10 PM
as i said, i've already paid...

if it's not done by next tuesday i'll be going somewhere else
it's just so annoying, i just want to be enjoying my car after all the work i've put into it!

Vectracious
28th July 2011, 03:44 PM
do you have a written quote or anything where they have written down the specs you were after?

benzino
28th July 2011, 06:00 PM
i took them a cardboard mockup with all the measurements

nothing written by them though

benzino
5th August 2011, 08:39 AM
quick update
went yesterday to see if they'll pull their finger out, they told me another 2 weeks to fix their mistakes or pay 120 "because that's what everybody else is paying"... i couldn't fukn believe it. i said them "fine i'll give you another $25 on top of the $95 i've already given you.." and they were like no i can't do that.

so this morning i rang the boss/owner and he was a bigger dick than the worker! he actually said if you want us to fix the problems, you have to wait for a few weeks (this is one of the bigger engineering companies on the border, not naming any names)

i suggested a refund because the work didn't follow specifications and i have a $95 paper weight... so the boss asked and the guy that i told the specs did the biggest dick move ever, just deny everything...

my gut feeling is i don't have a legal foot to stand on seeing as though it's my words against theirs... might send an email to fair trading

v8r
4th September 2011, 07:25 AM
For 95 bucks, I'd forget about getting it done there anymore and find somewhere else...

benzino
4th September 2011, 10:39 AM
yeah... ended up taking it somewhere else who fixed it in a day for $20

the money didn't bother me, it was the time. i didn't drive my car for 2.5 months

it feels good to be back on the road again

Dahlia
4th September 2011, 11:00 AM
**** some people are just a joke aren't they...

benzino
4th September 2011, 02:31 PM
pretty much...

rwy16r
11th September 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi benzino,

If you have paid by Credit Card, you have up to 120 Days to dispute this transaction as reason " Goods and Services not as ordered" .

Speak to your bank.

benzino
11th September 2011, 10:59 PM
cash unfortunately...
ah well... it's in the past now

Shay
12th September 2011, 01:02 PM
if its a bracket for am elec-hyd pump, why does it need to be 6mm (thats friggen thick)?
as there is no torque on the bracket, only the weigh of the pump and reservoir (say 4kg?).

in fact if im visuallising what you want right in my head, i would have only used 3mm ally...

take a pic of you design. and what it needs to support, i have heaps of 3mm steel around and could get on knocked up by a mate pretty easy.

i think 6mm is overkill, roll cage mount plates arent even that thick and they have to take a shitload more force than a pump bracket.

benzino
13th September 2011, 07:29 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?30320-Bastard-child-ecotec-lanos-belt-woes!&p=704332&viewfull=1#post704332 (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?30320-Bastard-child-ecotec-lanos-belt-woes%21&p=704332&viewfull=1#post704332)

the problem was the 3mm was too flexi with that high mount and would bang into the strut tower (i fixed it by adding a lower mount point...)
but if they went with 6mm, yes it would've been heavy, but it wouldn't have flexed like a mofo

Shay
13th September 2011, 08:03 PM
ah, fairo mate.

quick, slightly off topic, question; where did you get the elec PSP?

benzino
13th September 2011, 08:45 PM
ebay of course!
$80... not too shabby seeing as though the wreckers wanted $350!!

Shay
13th September 2011, 09:00 PM
What cars it off? and what size banjo's does it take.

benzino
13th September 2011, 09:11 PM
astra TS

no banjo... just flanges and flare nuts with metric threads