PDA

View Full Version : How to remove oil from car carpet?

Drache Mithal
26th July 2011, 08:22 PM
Quick Question to all, what's the best (and relatively cheapest) way to remove new engine oil from car carpet? My Emergency oil container managed to leak a bit in the back of my car. Thankfully my mat got the bulk of it, but some still managed to get into the carpet and in all likelyhood into the pile/foam as well. It's not completely saturated, but enough that it took a good half roll of kitchen paper towel to soak up the top layer of the carpet.

guy 27
26th July 2011, 08:31 PM
shampoo + high pressure hose will do the trick. just spot test first to make sure it doesn't damage the colouring.

Then leave in the sun for a few days to dry out.

Drache Mithal
26th July 2011, 08:33 PM
That'll work for the mat, but what about the carpet in the car that i can't extract?

guy 27
26th July 2011, 08:41 PM
That'll work for the mat, but what about the carpet in the car that i can't extract?

try a fabric cleaner (again, spot test it) and just follow instructions on the bottle. The autoglym one is very good.

Drache Mithal
26th July 2011, 08:45 PM
You mean Autoglym Interior shampoo?

guy 27
26th July 2011, 08:53 PM
yeah i think thats the one. :)
megs have a new one out but its not as good as their old one.

Drache Mithal
26th July 2011, 09:15 PM
Sweet! already got the Autoglym one lying around, Thanks :)

AfterBurner
27th July 2011, 08:01 AM
The hotter the water the better - Steam cleaning is the ONLY way to do it properly (with detegent of course :facepalm2:)....

Drache Mithal
27th July 2011, 09:36 AM
Haven't got access to a steam cleaner, do have access to a wetvac though. Might give that a crack if i can't get it out by hand.

gmonkey
27th July 2011, 11:14 AM
new carpet? :p

AfterBurner
27th July 2011, 11:46 AM
Haven't got access to a steam cleaner, do have access to a wetvac though. Might give that a crack if i can't get it out by hand.

Boiling water + detergent... Just wet the carpet first, apply enuff detergent to make it sudsy like (use a nylon brush to deep clean), then pour small amounts of boiling water as ur sucking it up, use a kettle or similar.

How big is the oily patch?? like half the boot or just a small section?

Drache Mithal
27th July 2011, 03:00 PM
Nah not new carpet, but was still in good nick until the spill! It spilled in the rear passenger side carpet, not a big spill but it managed to spread grrr... Gonna grab the wetvac tonight and skip the hand wash, hopefully i can get it out before it stinks out the car!

dutchy
27th July 2011, 04:15 PM
boiling water and dishwashing liquid. You want the oil to come loose and dishwashing liquid will do that. Soak it and then use the wetvac. Good luck.

Drache Mithal
1st August 2011, 12:38 PM
Update: Over the weekend I tried the dishwashing (blast brand), scrubber & boiling water method in the car with wetvac... and nothing! Refused to budge, instead it made a nice creamy paste on my carpet.

So for the heck of it i grabbed my block of Solvol soap, gave that a good scrub in with scrubber and very warm (not boiling) water..... and hey presto! All gone :) No remnants, no stains, nothing! Even gave the carpet a nice smell :)

Feelinlucky75
1st August 2011, 04:22 PM
Awesome... I love it when little things like that work. :D