PDA

View Full Version : Making your astra a convertible

chicko
12th November 2004, 01:52 PM
Has anyone thought or has done it? without buying an astra convertible how hard is it to get your roof chopped off?
Expensive??

Anonymous
12th November 2004, 02:27 PM
better off buying a coverts mate, would cost at least $5000 to chop it, then another 5 to install some type of mechanical roof, then thereis materials, gotta make room for it to fit, would need a motorised compartment for it to lift out of, then there are saftey issues, the whole body would need to be reinforced, also the front window would need to be done aswell, prolly wouldnt be able to get it road legal unless you speant upwards of $20000 naybe even $30000 :P and there you go, you have now speant nearly $60,000 and couldve bought an astra converts and made it a 10 second car :P :mrgreen: :screwy: dont mind me i just think too much...

Degen-Astra
12th November 2004, 02:43 PM
It would be a modification of passion.

OPC
12th November 2004, 03:38 PM
better off buying a coverts mate, would cost at least $5000 to chop it, then another 5 to install some type of mechanical roof, then thereis materials, gotta make room for it to fit, would need a motorised compartment for it to lift out of, then there are saftey issues, the whole body would need to be reinforced, also the front window would need to be done aswell, prolly wouldnt be able to get it road legal unless you speant upwards of $20000 naybe even $30000 :P and there you go, you have now speant nearly $60,000 and couldve bought an astra converts and made it a 10 second car :P :mrgreen: :screwy: dont mind me i just think too much...

umm alex did someone else get on your compudaaa and post this ???

:lol: its actually worth reading and quite true.... but u 4got the airbags in the pillar of the door they will cost a s@#t load....

Shazza
12th November 2004, 03:45 PM
The astra convertible is actually based on the Astra Coupe, the platform would be all wrong, and more than likely components would need to be custom made, as they wouldnt fit properly etc. Forget it!

Anonymous
14th November 2004, 03:24 PM
you people are a bunch of squares. :shock: :lol:

i wouldn't mind having an uber compact 5 door astra convertible!

You could possibly retain the roof that you chopped off, get a fiberglass mould made, and have a removeable hard top!

Realistically though, you'd need to have the whole chassis strengthened, and then there is the worry of trying to get an engineer to approve it.

It could also be an ideal time to get that gen3 v8 rwd conversion, porsche brakes, and 20inch HRE's engineered. :lol: