PDA

View Full Version : Astra Blasphemy

Devo
20th July 2011, 05:38 PM
This is for anyone who has ever copped the "Astras are girls cars" or the sarcastic "its an opel not an astra" when we all know were talking about the make not the model yet they still dont understand.
I wanna know all your BEST combacks and the STUPID things you get told about your car? I'm constantly copping it from the boys at work and trade school. Its never bothered me, although i wouldnt mind sticking it up 'em everyonce in a while. Post here? Let us all know what you get and more importently how you GIVE IT BACK!

Devo

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 05:42 PM
Always get told mine is a girls car cause of the colour and the fact its a hatch back... Put a mate in his place when he tried to race me in his dodge nitro... Left him for dead... Let the car speak for its self... :D

Devo
20th July 2011, 05:44 PM
Always get told mine is a girls car cause of the colour and the fact its a hatch back... Put a mate in his place when he tried to race me in his dodge nitro... Left him for dead... Let the car speak for its self... :D

are you a turbo?

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 05:54 PM
Nope... But he had 2 extra ppl in the car and I wasn't scared of corners... Lol

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 06:12 PM
You could always come back with "Yeah, it's TOTALLY a girl's type of car...you should see how much pussy it attracts!!!"...yeah, I know, I'm a crude bitch...and I drive an Astra :devil:

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:12 PM
Nope... But he had 2 extra ppl in the car and I wasn't scared of corners... Lol

haha yeah corners help! never taken anyone on but too scared to anyways :P

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:13 PM
You could always come back with "Yeah, it's TOTALLY a girl's type of car...you should see how much pussy it attracts!!!"...yeah, I know, I'm a crude bitch...and I drive an Astra :devil:

HAHA thats a good one. ill keep it in the bank for next time ;)

poita
20th July 2011, 06:18 PM
Always cop its a girls car, or a hairdressers car.

A mate had to follow me home and I had to slow down for him, apparently his falcon isn't is as great as he thinks lol

Also helps when your car handles like a go kart hahahaha

Other than good handling it's slow, just have to hope there's lots of twisties when they follow me :lol:

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 06:21 PM
Yup twisties are the equaliser... Although I have pulled 220kph out of it... My uncle tared his driveway on his farm, 4km of almost dead straight road without a speedlimit... Fun..

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:25 PM
Always cop its a girls car, or a hairdressers car.

A mate had to follow me home and I had to slow down for him, apparently his falcon isn't is as great as he thinks lol

Also helps when your car handles like a go kart hahahaha

Other than good handling it's slow, just have to hope there's lots of twisties when they follow me :lol:

LOVE IT! great story! Personally i dont diiferentiate between girl and guy cars. i think thats silly. i enjoy seeing any car that is modded as long as the mods arnt rediculously stupid. and you draw inspiration from other cars you see also. whatever car people like should be up to them. how boring the world would be if we all drove the same thing!

and yeah love it when someone is sitting on my arse on the way home from work and we get into the backstreets and im just smashing turns.... before i know it i cant see them anymore. How can you use that ability against them without driving with them to prove it though?

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:25 PM
Yup twisties are the equaliser... Although I have pulled 220kph out of it... My uncle tared his driveway on his farm, 4km of almost dead straight road without a speedlimit... Fun..

sounds beyond fun to me..... :P

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 06:29 PM
Well what do your mates drive? Personally I think if the only thing they can say bad about you is about your car then you're doing ok....

I cop abuse when throwing people out of pubs and its always cause I'm fat... Meh, I'm the one still in the pub and haven't just been thrown around like a ragdoll by a "fat" guy... Lol

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 06:32 PM
HAHA thats a good one. ill keep it in the bank for next time ;)

My pleasure to be of assistance :smile5:

Personally i dont diiferentiate between girl and guy cars. i think thats silly.

Unless, of course, it's that disgusting pink colour, with a pink number-plate, Playboy Bunny stickers all over it and some stupid-arse decal that states "Bitch on Wheels" or "I Believe in Fairies" or some other nauseating crap...and then you see this big, burly guy driving it...you've gotta wonder what was going through his head if he decorated the car like that :rofl1:

You gotta admit, when you see those kinds of cars, no matter what make or model, the first thing that goes through your head is "Girlie car!!!"

sooty
20th July 2011, 06:32 PM
Therein lies your problem. You have nothing to prove to anyone, if you friends think your car is a girl's car, that's their problem. You know what it is capable of. And if one day you happen to take them for a drive through the twisties you can show them, but trying to show them around suburban streets just puts too many people in danger.
You're happy with your car, who cares what they think :thumbs:

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 06:34 PM
I cop abuse when throwing people out of pubs and its always cause I'm fat... Meh, I'm the one still in the pub and haven't just been thrown around like a ragdoll by a "fat" guy... Lol

The response to that is "Well, I may be fat, but you're ugly/stupid/whatever insult comes to mind...tomorrow I can go on a diet and lose weight, but you'll wake up and ALWAYS be ugly/stupid/whatever insult comes to mind..."

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Well what do your mates drive? Personally I think if the only thing they can say bad about you is about your car then you're doing ok....

they have plenty to say about me. but as i said non of it worrys me. i just like getting a little cheeky and giving em a good one every now and then that shuts em up. they can say as much as they like but every now and then a quick one liner from me tends to do more then even the score :) nobody really have anything good. 1 has a XR8 ute and the other an SS. a fewe have V6's but thats all really.

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 06:37 PM
Just laugh at them when they complain about their fuel bill lol

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:38 PM
My pleasure to be of assistance :smile5:Unless, of course, it's that disgusting pink colour, with a pink number-plate, Playboy Bunny stickers all over it and some stupid-arse decal that states "Bitch on Wheels" or "I Believe in Fairies" or some other nauseating crap...and then you see this big, burly guy driving it...you've gotta wonder what was going through his head if he decorated the car like that :rofl1:

You gotta admit, when you see those kinds of cars, no matter what make or model, the first thing that goes through your head is "Girlie car!!!"

Yeah if its his girlfriends... thats ok... but otherwise that is odd. i feel so silly when i see some chick get into a V8 beside me though... its like mmmmm awkward :S theres nothing wrong with chicks driving cars liek that.... just not side by side to me haha

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 06:39 PM

+1 :lol:

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:40 PM

thats a very true point!

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:42 PM
Therein lies your problem. You have nothing to prove to anyone, if you friends think your car is a girl's car, that's their problem. You know what it is capable of. And if one day you happen to take them for a drive through the twisties you can show them, but trying to show them around suburban streets just puts too many people in danger.

i dont care what they think i just dont like it when they feel so high and mighty about what they say so enjoy bringing them back down to earth :P

AND just to clear up incase it sounded this way, i wouldnt show anyone around suburban streets. iv never tried to race someone and dont plan on it. im just a little quicker then afew INSIDE the speedlimit if that makes sense...

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah if its his girlfriends... thats ok... but otherwise that is odd. i feel so silly when i see some chick get into a V8 beside me though... its like mmmmm awkward :S theres nothing wrong with chicks driving cars liek that.... just not side by side to me haha

Hmmm....I know what I'm like driving the Vectra B (it's a V6), apparently I'm not afraid of the pedals, and will throw it around somewhat...but get me into the Astra G (just the 1.8), and I'm a bloody hoon...I throw it around corners constantly, and at times put the bigger cars to shame...

...God only knows what I'd be like driving a V8...or worse yet, an SRI-T... :yikes:

Devo
20th July 2011, 06:46 PM
Hmmm....I know what I'm like driving the Vectra B (it's a V6), apparently I'm not afraid of the pedals, and will throw it around somewhat...but get me into the Astra G (just the 1.8), and I'm a bloody hoon...I throw it around corners constantly, and at times put the bigger cars to shame...

...God only knows what I'd be like driving a V8...or worse yet, an SRI-T... :yikes:

thats what im hearing. it seems to be really known for its "Go-Kart like abilities"

Bloodnok
20th July 2011, 07:01 PM
Hmmm....I know what I'm like driving the Vectra B (it's a V6), apparently I'm not afraid of the pedals, and will throw it around somewhat...but get me into the Astra G (just the 1.8), and I'm a bloody hoon...

Yeah - the Vec isn't really a twisties kind of car. I've no doubt something can be done about that, but I pitched it into a roundabout this morning like I had the Astra the previous day, and got understeer. No hint of anything remotely like that in the Astra the previous day, at much the same speed...

Wraecca
20th July 2011, 07:15 PM
Dammit, now I've been looking for an SRI-T on carsales.com.au...and I've found one I want, not too far away, and not too expensive...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10556060&keywords=&trecs=19&__sid=12FF42CE6448&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=1216%201282%204294965856%204294965857%201622%2 04294766528%204294921535&silo=1011 (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10556060&keywords=&trecs=19&__sid=12FF42CE6448&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7C0%7C%7CpCar_RankSort _Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Mod el_String%7C0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=1216%201282%204294965856%204294965857%201622%2 04294766528%204294921535&silo=1011)

...if only I had $7200 lying around...either that or they'd accept a straight swap for the Astra...highly unlikely though :nonod:

Devo
20th July 2011, 07:51 PM
Dammit, now I've been looking for an SRI-T on carsales.com.au...and I've found one I want, not too far away, and not too expensive...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10556060&keywords=&trecs=19&__sid=12FF42CE6448&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32 |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=1216%201282%204294965856%204294965857%201622%2 04294766528%204294921535&silo=1011 (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=10556060&keywords=&trecs=19&__sid=12FF42CE6448&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal%7C0%7C%7CpCar_RankSort _Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Mod el_String%7C0&__Qpb=1&__Nne=15&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__N=1216%201282%204294965856%204294965857%201622%2 04294766528%204294921535&silo=1011)

...if only I had $7200 lying around...either that or they'd accept a straight swap for the Astra...highly unlikely though :nonod:

looks good to! Im gonna make a list down the bottom under the orginal comment of some good comebacks so far also.

droodles
20th July 2011, 08:26 PM
"aren't astras for girls?"

to be honest, if i could replace it, then i would.

Stance
21st July 2011, 02:13 AM
Lately alot of the girls i meet at the clubs / pubs tease me with " i have a astra too! " "its a girls car"
honest it happens heaps, they all have standard tho

ive just been going with mines a manual, you cant drive manual lol

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 08:27 AM
Lately alot of the girls i meet at the clubs / pubs tease me with " i have a astra too! " "its a girls car"
honest it happens heaps, they all have standard tho

ive just been going with mines a manual, you cant drive manual lol

What is it with girls that they can't drive manuals hey?... Me and my best mate are trying to teach our gf's... My clutch is getting a bit of a thrashing... It's like the just can't coordinate 3 pedals, a stick and the wheel at the same time... Downshifts are the worst for them at the moment...

Bloodnok
21st July 2011, 09:54 AM
It's like the just can't coordinate 3 pedals, a stick and the wheel at the same time... Downshifts are the worst for them at the moment...

The other one people learning a manual after driving an auto always seem to get wrong is "remembering to push the clutch down when stopping"...

(Oh, and also "Don't hold it on the footbrake with the car in gear and the clutch down when waiting at the traffic lights - put the handbrake on, go into neutral and let the clutch up. That causes less clutch wear.")

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 09:58 AM
Yup... Although I haven't let her anywhere near a traffic light yet... Thinking I might just get her the forester she wants in auto... Lol.. then I can play with my car a bit more...

03srit
21st July 2011, 10:06 AM
So glad my girlfriend can drive manuals.. I get sleepy on long drives and she really came handy when we drove to Sydney last year..

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 10:09 AM
Coffee, redbull and regular pee breaks for me... I'm used to being up for 24-36hrs at a time... Security work tends to do that...

03srit
21st July 2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah I think its more the boredom that gets me.. on the way there on new England highway, I had fun and barely needed to rest but on the way back going along the coast man I couldn't stay awake.. I think she drove mostly all the way till coffs harbour and I drove from there..

So yeah a girl with a manual license sure is handy..

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 10:20 AM
Yup sure would be... Especially when we go out with mates... I kinda get sick of being deso... Lol..
Deg gonna get her an auto in the not too distant future...

Wraith
21st July 2011, 12:43 PM

+ 1 Agree !

I know you've already answered Ains' point here, but really at the end of the day your dealing with idiots or people just being idiots...

On that note, here's a saying I always use: Never argue with an idiot, they'll only pull you down to their level and beat you with experience...

metry
21st July 2011, 12:53 PM
love the astra for its go kart handling. put a few mates to shame when we went out picton way once. heaps of people mention its a girls car. i tell them it isnt because its got 19s and is usually quicker than most other p plater cars.

depending on how they tell me its a girls car i usually go yes your mum loved it last night or something along those lines

gman
21st July 2011, 03:42 PM
Let the car do the talking and simply agree with them. I get it often, especially when at the track.

The look of surprise when I cruise past usually gets a retraction afterwards :)

Wraecca
21st July 2011, 04:38 PM
What is it with girls that they can't drive manuals hey?... Me and my best mate are trying to teach our gf's... My clutch is getting a bit of a thrashing... It's like the just can't coordinate 3 pedals, a stick and the wheel at the same time... Downshifts are the worst for them at the moment...

I drive a manual...I learned how to drive on a manual...my parents ensured that both my sisters and I could, since if you can drive a manual, you can drive an auto, but if you can only drive an auto, you're pretty much ****ed...

Besides, I love the times when some dickhead in an auto thinks that I'm driving a slow piece of crap (usually in the Astra, but a couple of times in the Veccy), and then I not only beat them at the lights, but I change the gears so quickly that I'm a fair distance ahead by the time we both hit the speed limit...they then usually speed to overtake...pussies...

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 04:42 PM
It's awesome to see girls driving well especially when its a decent car... I was just trying to point out that it is sometimes a little bit more difficult for girls to coordinate hands and feet together...

Bloodnok
21st July 2011, 04:51 PM
It's awesome to see girls driving well especially when its a decent car... I was just trying to point out that it is sometimes a little bit more difficult for girls to coordinate hands and feet together...

I don't think it's a male/female thing - it's a "learned in a manual/learned in an auto" thing.

The first thing you learn when you start in a manual is clutch control. By the time you've got out of your first stop-start traffic jam, you're a natural. You learn pretty much everything else afterwards, on top of that.

Trying to go back under everything you know, and "unlearn" automatic behaviour and substitute manual behaviour at that point is hard.

My problem is the opposite. I've always had a manual. I learned in one, and every car I've owned has been one. I once drove someone else's automatic. I got into trouble due to the lack of engine braking (I ended up going way too fast into somewhere I had expected to slow down into), and I also end up doing a random emergency stop at one point - where I went for the clutch and ended up on the left hand side of that heaouge brake pedal instead.

I never wanted to drive an Auto. As a result of doing so, I now never want to drive another auto.

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah I get where you are coming from with that... I let my girlfriend drive auto. Bit to start with to build her confidense a bit but get her in a manual and she falls apart...

I used to step on the brake as a clutch all.the time when I.crashed my.first car, had to drive mums Honda... Not fun...
When I first got the astra the button under the gearknob got me heaps, kept thinking it was auto because there is a button there to play with... Random.. lol

Devo
21st July 2011, 05:48 PM
"aren't astras for girls?"

to be honest, if i could replace it, then i would.

i had a guy come over from england to work with us last summer and he was telling me how in the uk astras are guys cars expecially the G cos its cheap and easy to mod over there...

Devo
21st July 2011, 05:52 PM
+ 1 Agree !

I know you've already answered Ains' point here, but really at the end of the day your dealing with idiots or people just being idiots...

On that note, here's a saying I always use: Never argue with an idiot, they'll only pull you down to their level and beat you with experience...

yeah thats a good point to. after a full day of it i always want to just give something back and stop trying to explain shit to them.... i guess it is dropping to their level a bit.

benzino
22nd July 2011, 07:10 PM
the astra would get a bee's dick worth of ragging
try driving a daewoo! at least it has the engine to suprise people now...

my fiance wants to buy a girls car, she wants a MY02 STI (but only in wrc blue and with the stock gold wheels hahahaha)

ChrisMaz
22nd July 2011, 07:12 PM
Biggest insult I get is thanks to you guys

"Nice astra" :lol:

Dahlia
23rd July 2011, 09:25 AM
Biggest insult I get is thanks to you guys

"Nice astra" :lol:
Haha well those people are clearly idiots haha.

I've never been told my cars a girls car, but I guess that's because its a sedan.

UNEEQ
23rd July 2011, 10:09 PM
At a guess, I'd say even this Astra is owned by a guy:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/azza-01/H8MO1.jpg

poita
23rd July 2011, 10:10 PM
take the middle line out of the 8 and its probably right

Devo
23rd July 2011, 10:33 PM
take the middle line out of the 8 and its probably right

Yeah I noticed that too. That's shocking...poor form to whoever owns it.

poita
23rd July 2011, 10:39 PM
actually looking at the picture again its a photoshop, look at the colour of the rocks, wall and door

if i could read croatian i could tell you -> http://opelclub.hr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19461

UNEEQ
23rd July 2011, 10:58 PM
yeah I noticed that... not a very good one either.. the wheels are even a touch of pink.

This however IS a pink astra (tempted to say photoshop again... just a much better job!)
http://www.mobile-phone-content.info/files/image/samsung%20corby%20tv%20wallpapers%20pink%20Opel%20 Astra%20Sport.jpg

http://www.pink-cars.info/images/Pink%20Opel%20Astra%202010%20front%20photo.jpg
http://www.pink-cars.info/images/New%202010%20Opel%20Astra%20with%20pink%20paint%20 color.jpg

Stance
23rd July 2011, 11:01 PM
At a guess, I'd say even this Astra is owned by a guy:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/azza-01/H8MO1.jpg

The misses was watching me read this and asked "is that a girls one?"

Stance
23rd July 2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.pink-cars.info/images/New%202010%20Opel%20Astra%20with%20pink%20paint%20 color.jpg

Why are the tail lights pink?

UNEEQ
23rd July 2011, 11:05 PM
The misses was watching me read this and asked "is that a girls one?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually... If someone gives you crap about it being a Girl's car... go find theirs in pink:
www.pink-cars.info (http://www.pink-cars.info)
(Google is also your friend!)

Print it out in A3 with their number plate photoshopped on and pin it up on the notice board at work :thumbs:

UNEEQ
23rd July 2011, 11:06 PM
Why are the tail lights pink?

lol, didn't notice that... it's a chop for sure then!

Feelinlucky75
24th July 2011, 02:53 AM
I actually saw a silvery pink one at the local holden dealer the other day... Lol. It's owned by a company round here... Will get a photo if I see it round this week...

poita
24th July 2011, 09:51 AM
mary Kay cosmetics have pink astras :-)

Feelinlucky75
24th July 2011, 11:33 AM

Mum nearly got one when the ah first came out... She was Nsw leader in sales... Went on an all expenses paid trip to the conference and factory in Melbourne and decided to quit when she found out the bottle tops are worth more than the stuff in them.. lol

Wraith
25th July 2011, 10:39 AM
yeah I noticed that... not a very good one either.. the wheels are even a touch of pink.

This however IS a pink astra (tempted to say photoshop again... just a much better job!)
http://www.mobile-phone-content.info/files/image/samsung%20corby%20tv%20wallpapers%20pink%20Opel%20 Astra%20Sport.jpg

http://www.pink-cars.info/images/Pink%20Opel%20Astra%202010%20front%20photo.jpg

That AJ looks hot, whatever the colour :p

Mum nearly got one when the ah first came out... She was Nsw leader in sales... Went on an all expenses paid trip to the conference and factory in Melbourne and decided to quit when she found out the bottle tops are worth more than the stuff in them.. lol

A family friend has worked for MK for decades and has always had various pink vehicles over the years, but the pink used is a much lighter and washed out faint pink compared to these pics of pink Astras :)

Feelinlucky75
25th July 2011, 10:47 AM
That AJ looks hot, whatever the colour :p

A family friend has worked for MK for decades and has always had various pink vehicles over the years, but the pink used is a much lighter and washed out faint pink compared to these pics of pink Astras :)

Yep.. almost a champagne pink..

Shaun
26th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Cope crap about the VXR being a girls car from people all the time. Brother in law has a WRX and i embarrised him on sunday night when i pulled away... Also a guy with a SS at work was embarried when i left him for dead off the mark.

hazrd
26th July 2011, 09:07 PM
couldnt help but dig this one up again.........

I drive a girls car?

.... might need to slow down so they can catch up and tell me:p

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?23445-RE-Astra-a-girls-car

Devo
27th July 2011, 09:59 AM
A little easier to say when it is turbo'd though :p haha

Dahlia
27th July 2011, 12:34 PM
A little easier to say when it is turbo'd though :p haha
Haha very true

hazrd
27th July 2011, 01:43 PM
does the title say "non turbo astra blasphemy" ? nope... the point still stands :p

Devo
27th July 2011, 07:07 PM
hey hey hey! i never said it didnt :P it just makes it easier :P