PDA

View Full Version : Question about dodgy work...

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 12:17 PM
I need some advice guys...
A few months ago my timing belt and waterpump where changed by a workshop where a mate works and his girlfriend's dad owns the place... when I got it back it had a slight miss at idle... Didn't think much of it at first... 3 weeks ago the car got much worse and started to miss on 2 cyl rendering it virtually undrivable....
I tried doing sparks, coil pack and checking the injectors with no results... Took it to another mechanic who now tells me the air flow meter is stuffed and the timing is out by one tooth!!
My problem is, do I get a report from the new mechanic and go ask for reimbirsement from my friends boss and put our friendship at risk or do I leave myself out of pocket for someone else's mistake?

Nurb608
20th July 2011, 12:30 PM
I'd go and speak to the original workshop and explain the issues first and see what they offer. That way your not risking anything at this stage.

Silver Surfer
20th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Take it back mate Friend or not you paid to get the job done right first time. Any above board work shop should atleast look at it

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 12:32 PM
I'd go and speak to the original workshop and explain the issues first and see what they offer. That way your not risking anything at this stage.

I.was thinking about this, I'm not going to storm in and demand anything but I will be letting them know what's going on...

delemonte
20th July 2011, 12:35 PM
Have you already paid the other workshop to fix up the timing and replace the AFM?

If it were me, I'd be taking it back to the original place and asking them to just take a look at the timing for starters and then take it from there.

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 12:41 PM
Have you already paid the other workshop to fix up the timing and replace the AFM?

If it were me, I'd be taking it back to the original place and asking them to just take a look at the timing for starters and then take it from there.

The new place has had it for 3 days trying to work out what was wrong...
I've opened an account with them and will be paying it off...

guy 27
20th July 2011, 01:01 PM
All workshops should be giving 1 year warranty on labour.

Shouldn't of gone to the other workshop as you will not be able to recover any of those costs.

Feelinlucky75
20th July 2011, 01:15 PM
All workshops should be giving 1 year warranty on labour.

Shouldn't of gone to the other workshop as you will not be able to recover any of those costs.

Yup... Realising that I should have just taken it back to them but we had no idea the timing was out till yesterday so we where just going through the elimination process...
I'll just let them know what happened, if they offer anything, bonus, if not, then no biggie...
I'm just happy to have it back after nearly a month....

AfterBurner
20th July 2011, 02:22 PM
The timing belts are a PITA but not really that hard... If they checked it properly, you can quite easily tell if it's a tooth out, the marks don't line up perfectly - as they should...

Greenmeanie
21st July 2011, 06:40 PM
Look dont get me wrong BUT If I was your mate i would expect you to bring it back if you had a problem. now you are coming back after a month and telling me you have been to someone and they said the timing is out 1 tooth and the air flow meter os rs.
What do you think my answer would be?????? mark it down to experience, hope your mate doesn't find out and you can stay friends.
And if you get your car returned and it is not purring like a kitten drive it straight back and at least show it to the workshop manager and get it written down that you are not happy and something has to be done to rectify the problem

AfterBurner
21st July 2011, 09:03 PM
Look dont get me wrong BUT If I was your mate i would expect you to bring it back if you had a problem. now you are coming back after a month and telling me you have been to someone and they said the timing is out 1 tooth and the air flow meter os rs.
What do you think my answer would be?????? mark it down to experience, hope your mate doesn't find out and you can stay friends.
And if you get your car returned and it is not purring like a kitten drive it straight back and at least show it to the workshop manager and get it written down that you are not happy and something has to be done to rectify the problem

Maybe he felt embarrassed, more-so the mechanic would feel that way... I do agree, but surely u know what im gettin at? Some people don't like confrontation...

After all, he did state this also...

I.was thinking about this, I'm not going to storm in and demand anything but I will be letting them know what's going on...

Feelinlucky75
21st July 2011, 09:16 PM
The only reason I changed mechanics is because I'm not working much at the moment and the first mechanic doesn't allow people to have accounts.. the new one does...

Also I spoke to the first mechanic the week after I got it back from the timing belt, I told him about the miss and he said if it gets any worse to let him know...
When the latest batch of problems started I didn't think it had anything to do with the timing belt...
So I tried to work it out, did what I could and after 3 weeks I gave up and took it to someone who would work around my current financial position...

Can a senior mod please close this thread now... It's getting off topic and is no longer relevent as I now have my car back and will be working things out with the first mechanic tomorrow...

poita
21st July 2011, 09:23 PM
Closed as per request by OP

:lock: