PDA

View Full Version : upgrading 5/110 wheels

nicecar
11th November 2004, 08:47 PM
Hi my car has 5/110 wheel fitment (same as Vectra, Astra with ABS and calibra).

I am trying to upgrade my wheels to 18" but finding it very difficult as I have been to all the wheel places and there stock in this fitment is very limited.

I am after silver (not chrome) and have see the limited few that ROH/Speedy wheels offer. CSA have no 5/110 fitment.Hopefully someone else on this board will have been there before and can post pictures of their 18" alloy wheels (if in 5/110 fitment) or suggest somewhere to try.

Live in Perth and now thinking of getting from Eastern states (as may have more imports in that fitment) or last of all Europe with high costs :( .

If I can't get 18" will settle for 17"

Thanks

KevinFok
11th November 2004, 09:58 PM
get some nice BBS RX :mrgreen:

they look great on the astras saw them on an astra conver the other day and it looked sexy as

but they do cost quite a bit :bang:

RK
11th November 2004, 10:54 PM
Get 19x7" Zender mags! :D they will look HOT on a silver grey car!

freaktown
11th November 2004, 11:00 PM
most work wheels fit!

go to Australias Best

or their website www.tyres.com

and search under "Work Wheels"

be mindfull though, that i was qouted $4,200 for a set with just basic rubber!

but the look so hot especially the VS SS

NUTTTR
11th November 2004, 11:02 PM
Be mindful you need "narrow" 18's to fit, you can't find the widest wheels and make them fit,
check www.astra-sport.co.uk and check the forums and then to information in the forums, in there there is a post about the wheel size to fit an astra g.... :)
Aaron

Anonymous
11th November 2004, 11:23 PM
whats your price range

i have a few suggestions

NUTTTR
11th November 2004, 11:28 PM
I should put some nice 3 piece 18's onto mine and give my mags to my fiancee ;) heheheh

Tom76
11th November 2004, 11:58 PM
There are 18" wheels for the new Astra, and they are 5/110. I have posted some pics in this thread (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=3542&start=50).

nicecar
12th November 2004, 01:01 AM
whats your price range

i have a few suggestions

ROH do some nice 3 piece wheels but that is too much ($3,000 for a set without tyres!!!) so my price range will be more $1000 to $2000 (excluding tyres)

Saw these on a Astra in UK and would love this design:-

Degen-Astra
12th November 2004, 01:52 AM
Mille Miglia and BBS will have plenty to fit 18x8. Check with your insurer and state road authority about the width though.

Most states will allow a 2 inch diameter and 1 inch width increase from the placard on your car, seeing as you have a 2.2 Convertible (judging by your pic) you can really only go to a 18x7 which there arent many of! But check with your Road Authority and Insurance Co before you go through with it.

leon1982
12th November 2004, 06:08 AM
I dont think you will get defected with 18x7.5
I had a Civic Coupe with 19x8 (thats 5-inch bigger than factory wheels and dont know how many inches wider but certainly more than an inch) and never got defected because of the rims. I'd been pulled over several times in Chapel St for some random checks..
So, I wouldnt worry about the legality of 18x7.5...I reckon 18x7 will look like using bicycle wheels :)

NUTTTR
12th November 2004, 06:57 AM
I had a Civic Coupe with 19x8 (thats 5-inch bigger than factory wheels and dont know how many inches wider but certainly more than an inch) and never got defected because of the rims. I'd been pulled over several times in Chapel St for some random checks..
So, I wouldnt worry about the legality of 18x7.5...I reckon 18x7 will look like using bicycle wheels :)

And if you have an accident, insurance see's the mags, measures them and goes "Sorry, those mags are beyond legal limit allowed, you car wasn't road worthy at the time and now we won't pay you out on insurance or the other car you ran into".... It happens!

astrix
12th November 2004, 09:14 AM
I've got a set of BBS RX 17 x 7.5 on a star silver convertable.
I recon they really suit the car.
The offset is 47.
The wheels came with a GM part number on the box.
Must be are an option in Germany.
The colour of the wheel is star silver.
Found this out when I had to match some paint for a touch up a while ago.
From memory They were about $550 ea. which makes them a bit over your price range so I imagine the 18" ones would be quite a bit over your range, but you never know, the 17" ones were over my price range but I ended up with them anyway.
I've found that you soon forget about the dollars but kick yourself every day if you get something that you don't like as much just because it was cheaper.

Nem
12th November 2004, 10:10 AM
ROH do some nice 3 piece wheels but that is too much ($3,000 for a set without tyres!!!) so my price range will be more $1000 to $2000 (excluding tyres)

Saw these on a Astra in UK and would love this design
I got 4 x 18" ROH modular wheels (the Modenas) for $3600 including locking nuts tyres and a wheels balance/alignment. Tyres are Hankook Ventus Sport K104 ( 225/35/18 ).
If you want wheels like that I'll sell you my 2001 SRi 16's :P

Ben

astrix
12th November 2004, 10:21 AM
BBS RX 17 x 7.5

Degen-Astra
12th November 2004, 10:43 AM

I want to go 18's on my SRi but seeing as there is that little bit of "errr" about getting 18x8's I decided to just looking into 17x7's instead. You would also have to tell your insurance company of the "modification" if you want them insured as well.
Imagine you spend $3000 on the wheels only to have them pinched! I suspect you would want to pay only your excess rather than fork out another 3 grand.

imay
12th November 2004, 11:44 AM
And if you have an accident, insurance see's the mags, measures them and goes "Sorry, those mags are beyond legal limit allowed, you car wasn't road worthy at the time and now we won't pay you out on insurance or the other car you ran into".... It happens!

Agree totally!
The "legality" issue has been covered several times in this forum. It doesn't necessarily come down to what the police/authorities will "let you get away with," but more importantly what your insurance company will ALLOW you to have on your car (should you be unfortunate enough to have need to make a claim). If you haven't told them about it, they are within their rights to contest your claim, and you could end up with nothing from them.
So, a word of advice . . . check with your insurance company FIRST, then if they are going to allow it, check with your state's road traffic authority as to the legality of the modification. And this goes for most modifications, even the most basic.
Save yourself heaps of headaches . . . trust me, I'm speaking from experience!

nicecar
12th November 2004, 03:50 PM
So, a word of advice . . . check with your insurance company FIRST

Called my insurance co -HBF and they said no problem as long as legal. Tyre garages have said up 2 sizes max, so standard 16" up to 18" OK.
Would like to keep width as 7.5 as heard of problems with 8 width and rubbing when car loaded with passengers.

Anyone have any 5/110 18 x7.5 (non chrome) wheels that were up to $2000 per set (exc tyres)? - if you could let me know brand/where from. thanks

Thanks astrix for the pic, looks v nice.

May go for 17" as think 18 x 7.5 (5/110 fitment) will be rare.

GOZOFF
12th November 2004, 04:18 PM
I have 18" wheels on my SRi so does Cybulba check it :wink:
http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/album_pic.php?pic_id=148
http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/album_pic.php?pic_id=219
there 215/35/18's

Nem
12th November 2004, 05:41 PM
I have 18" wheels on my SRi so does Cybulba check it :wink:
they're 215/35/18's

Then they'd be a bit risky for insurance because you cant get load rating greater than 84 in the 215's and on the SRi (at least inside my fuel flap) it specifies a minimum load rating of 86. But if your insurance are happy to cover you then stick with the 215 rather than the 225. I know everyone is running 215's in Europe but I still think you'd have to be sure and ask your insurance agent.

NUTTTR
12th November 2004, 06:34 PM
Techincally *note boring drivel* if the rating for minimum load is not right and somehow you had a blowout and hence an accident, well then you potentially are buggered... you have to tell insurance every minor ****ing detail or they will pull you up on it.... I believe the RTA (or whatever it is where you are) also states the width you can go up to a maximum of, i thought it was 1", maybe it's more? (than stock on the wheel plaque)... They may say "yup, we'll cover you" but then they'll go "um, legal is 0.5" narrower" or "um, the load rating isn't high enough, sorry".... As retarded as that sounds you have to remember there may be a potential to have to pay out 20-30K in an accident for your car alone, so as you could imagine they will try everything to get out of it (say if you had a pod filter, or a stereo, etc) they could say, "well, with this in it, we'd never have insured it in the first place"... It is your responsibility to make sure the load rating is high enough, etc, etc and if you don't, well they'll say it's your own fault and insurance is void, here's the last years premium back - now bugger off!
lol :) Problem is they DO do that So if something does happen they'll try and screw you over!~

Nem
12th November 2004, 08:33 PM
Whats the width of the standard 2001 16's? (dual 5 spokers)

NUTTTR
12th November 2004, 09:26 PM
6"? To be honest, no idea, i think it's 6, or 6.5...... 205 tyres (i think it comes with those?) suit the rims and "bulge" a little, so it's deffo 6 or 6.5, NRMA i remember them tell me it was 6 so the turbo @ 7" wide was ok, that's what they said, then again, i don't believe them ;)

Degen-Astra
12th November 2004, 09:37 PM
Definately 6 inch width. No change from 2001 to the 2003 SRi. Except for the spoke pattern of course.

nicecar
12th November 2004, 10:16 PM
wow GOZOFF,
what is the make/model of the wheels on the silver astra?