PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Companies

dglewis80
11th July 2011, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

Just wanted to get a rough idea on what insurance companies people use for their cars?

Also what are the pros / cons of your insurance company.

Cheers!

JohnBu
11th July 2011, 04:52 PM
Shannons-

Great customer service, great repairs/claims.

Premiums not so good.

Nurb608
11th July 2011, 04:57 PM
Shannons here too. Agreed Value, insuring me for all my mods as well. They were alot cheaper than anyone else and most wouldn't insure my mods. For a stock car however, not sure.

nuggz
11th July 2011, 05:18 PM
Shannons with basic mods on my Vec $2k pa
pass thanks

Nurb608
11th July 2011, 05:24 PM
Shannons with basic mods on my Vec $2k pa
pass thanks

lol, I dont even pay that and mines insured with all mods and agreed at $40k.

Wraith
11th July 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm with AAMI...

But the only reason I am is because they gave me an unbeatable deal with everything under the one umbrella, ie. all my insurance needs, not just my vehicles...

Been with them now for quite a number of years and in my case, they havn't done the usual trick of heavy yearly increases like most mobs seem to do...

Just for info I too have enquired with Shannons on both stock and modified vehicles - told them to take a hike, especially for stock vehicles, their premium was higher (alot higher) than all the other major players, I had no issues insuring my vert with AAMI including all mods and even got a visual appraisal to get a higher agreed value...

Insurance companies will mostly be 'easier' to deal with if your of an older age and have a clean record...

Best thing for anyone to do is obviously shop around and if you have to, do it on a yearly bases for the best possible deal you can get :)

ChrisMaz
11th July 2011, 05:37 PM
I'm with SGIO, premiums are steep apparently (Never claimed anything) but I got a discount as the family has been with SGIO for years, also threw in free unlimited windscreen replacement which has come in handy after a few country OA cruise's :p

gmonkey
11th July 2011, 05:44 PM
RACwa for me changing soon probably.. so interested in results too.

Insured for $24k, around $700 a year premium and $500 excess. 60% no-claim with no claim protection, and free roadside assist

poita
11th July 2011, 05:45 PM
No-one, Just Cars wanted $2k+ and only valued to $7k

Not worth even filling the paperwork out

hazrd
11th July 2011, 06:20 PM
AAMI. both cars + contents insurance. best price ive received for a turbo car. plus my mods are insured

sooty
11th July 2011, 06:21 PM
Just car, paying $1700 for agreed $42,800 value and a 22 yr old driver with no claims. The premium adjusts well if you add to the excess and mods make little to no difference to the price, you simply add them online.

guy 27
11th July 2011, 06:40 PM
just car. only cause they are the only ones sub $1k pa. When i'm 25 i'm sure my options will be a lot better.

hazrd
11th July 2011, 09:04 PM
just car. only cause they are the only ones sub $1k pa. When i'm 25 i'm sure my options will be a lot better.

FYI
They won't :prrr:

Wraith
11th July 2011, 09:13 PM

FYI
They won't :prrr:

' If ' you have a clean insurance record/history you'll start to notice significant reductions in car insurance once your at or over 30...

Then there's another noticeable drop again once your over 40...

What I pay these days for several cars combined, is still less than I used to pay for a single vehicle when I was under 25 or even 30 years old ;) the bloody regos is now my concern as they're always going up in cost :mad:

guy 27
11th July 2011, 09:21 PM
i looked into it earlier in the year when my insurance was up for renewal. called shannons gave all details but said i was 25. cost was less than $20 more than i'm paying with justcar at the moment. but shannons have windscreen cover (just car don't even offer this) and also choice of repaired (can only be done with just car if your repairer is cheaper).

As far as i'm concerned thats better value for money.

dutchy
12th July 2011, 01:00 AM
AAMI. both cars + contents insurance. best price ive received for a turbo car. plus my mods are insured

+1 for aami.

gmonkey
12th July 2011, 01:27 AM
Just did some quotes for me...

RACV - site down :(
AAMI - $1300 (excess 500)
AusPost - $1200 (excess 550)

dglewis80
12th July 2011, 07:39 AM

Australia Post does car insurance?

Wraith
12th July 2011, 08:15 AM

Your under 25, so most premiums on most cars will be over 1k...

In 10 years time you'll be paying half that amount on a vehicle that's worth many times more too ;)

Australia Post does car insurance?

They do now LOL :D

dglewis80
12th July 2011, 08:29 AM
Looks like I'm sticking with CGU - best product for the $$$

btm
12th July 2011, 09:26 AM
Real PAYD - cause i can insure the old girl for a few thousand km per year and it only costs me about $300/year

Neeko
12th July 2011, 01:55 PM
Suncorp Insurance

$766 premium for my rex with Windscreen cover.
If written off in the first 2 years it gets replaced with a brand new one (if available)

btm
12th July 2011, 04:16 PM
Suncorp Insurance

$766 premium for my rex with Windscreen cover.
If written off in the first 2 years it gets replaced with a brand new one (if available)

that seems crazy cheap for a 22 year old male in a wrx! how do you get it so low?

Neeko
12th July 2011, 04:39 PM
that seems crazy cheap for a 22 year old male in a wrx! how do you get it so low?
It's not what you know, it's who you know ;)
All through work mate, I actually provide customers with Insurance here (Suncorp and Toyota) so I received a policy endorsement. Normally Suncorp doesn't offer turbo motorcar insurance to people under the age of 25.

Was very lucky!
I don't think I'd be driving the rex if it wasn't for work, also received finance at 8%.

metry
12th July 2011, 06:26 PM
the astra is with gio. im listed as a secondary driver. costs about 1400 pa and its insured for $15 000. and the lc is with shannons. only people that would insure it for over $1000. i pay 800ish a year and its insured for $4000. both have glas cover, choice of repairer.

btm
13th July 2011, 09:51 AM
It's not what you know, it's who you know ;)
lucky bugger! :)

gmonkey
13th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Your under 25, so most premiums on most cars will be over 1k...

I think premiums over east are crazy higher too (as it seems Vic drivers aint got a fukn clue compared to most WA drivers :p except the poms) also think cause i lived in a semi-upperclass suburb in Perth compared to now i live in a average to below average suburb i guess... But yeh in perth i payed 600-700 roughly

Wraith
13th July 2011, 12:36 PM
Real PAYD - cause i can insure the old girl for a few thousand km per year and it only costs me about $300/year

Good thing you mentioned PAYD insurance policies...

They are the way to go for alot of people !

I'm going to enquire with several mobs next time around for my vert and see if I can get away with pating even less than I do now on that car, as long as they cover all the mods as well :)

stinky
13th July 2011, 01:10 PM
Shannons, been with them for years and years. Competitive pricing especially when you bundle house and cars.
But Shannon's have agreed value, free windscreen replace, choice of repairer and give you rights to the wreck. Most importantly settling claims is easy and hassle free (from experience and hearing from others).

Drache Mithal
13th July 2011, 07:25 PM
Just Car for me, i get a 25% discount as the missus work's for Suncorp :D

jaffa-cree
17th July 2011, 11:00 AM
Was originally with JCI for the AH SRiT and it was something like $1500
switched over to bingle for like $900

Wraecca
17th July 2011, 02:49 PM
We're currently bundled with RACQ with both cars, the house and contents. Unfortunately, James isn't too happy with then atm because of the Vectra and the repair company RACQ told us to use to get it fixed after hitting the roo at Christmas...but price-wise, they're pretty good, and previous to this we've never had an issue with them. I've used them since I learned how to drive, and my parents used them when they lived up here...they never had any issues either...