PDA

View Full Version : Decent PC?

JohnBu
17th June 2011, 12:45 PM
Hi, not for me, but for a teenager who wants to play some games

What you think of this $980 PC?

http://www.dell.com/au/p/studio-xps-7100/pd?oc=t210517au&model_id=studio-xps-7100

gmonkey
17th June 2011, 01:22 PM
personally i hate dell... id get a toshiba or acer or a hp. find dells unreliable to say the least

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Vectracious
17th June 2011, 01:37 PM
been dealing with Dell for quite a while now - never have had any issues with any of the PC's I've bought (laptop and desktop) - probably about 15 all up in the last couple of years.

Bloodnok
17th June 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi, not for me, but for a teenager who wants to play some games

What you think of this $980 PC?

http://www.dell.com/au/p/studio-xps-7100/pd?oc=t210517au&model_id=studio-xps-7100

Nothing special, but should be quite capable. Not going to set any performance records, but no major stand-out problems either, and not a bad price. Still might be able to build faster from parts for the same price, but not by a long way (versus the normal price you'd beat it hands down from parts).

Only issues for me would be a better OS - at least Pro (I generally don't think Ultimate is worth the upgrade cost), and make sure you get the OS install disks. Dell offer the ability to tweak the spec - so check the upgrade costs out when ordering for both of those things.

With the OS install disks, you can do a proper clean install and get rid of all the hateful bundled crap software. It's annoying to have to do it, and it'll take you/him a weekend to get the machine properly sorted doing it this way, but it's so worth it in both performance and usability terms. IIRC I got charged $2.50 or something for the "upgrade" of having the disks shipped with the machine...

gravy258
17th June 2011, 01:57 PM
+1 for Dell, at least you get good back up from them
theres a nice alienware lappy on here http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/dfo/df.aspx?refid=df&s=dfo
I bought my laptop from the outlet saved $800

JohnBu
17th June 2011, 02:32 PM
I've never had trouble with Dell, and their customer service seems ok when I had to make a warranty claim.

I'm happy to buy a Dell, but just wondered on the specs for a gaming machine..

For my own PC, I would have built from scratch, but it's not mine and I don't want to get involved when it doesn't POST or it gets a malware... recovery can be done by amateurs.

thanks Gravy, there is also this http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/products/quickship/au/en/vostro_desktop?c=au&l=en&s=dfo

But not sure about the graphics card, but everything else is great.. I'll prob pick this up.

Dahlia
17th June 2011, 05:24 PM
Best PC is the one you build your own. It's cheaper and easier to upgrade parts in the future. Just my two cents.

JohnBu
17th June 2011, 05:37 PM
Best PC is the one you build your own. It's cheaper and easier to upgrade parts in the future. Just my two cents.

True, but I don't want to be involved when shit goes down or Windows is corrupted.

metry
17th June 2011, 08:00 PM
i built my own pc. saved heaps of $ if you want a warranty the best thing to do would be go to a computer shop and get them to build it for you. theyl probably build you a better speced pc for the same money as dell would charge. i know ijk charges 45 to build your computer for you as well as give you a one year warranty. but theyre in sydney. just my 5c

poita
17th June 2011, 09:21 PM
you'd be better off buying from a 'bigger' company

always wonder how long that 'cheap' computer store around the corner will be there if you have issues

or need something replaced under warranty

your choice though

and a huge +1 to what vectracious said

Vectracious
17th June 2011, 10:21 PM
thread cleaned up

Dahlia
17th June 2011, 10:41 PM
If it helps, I know these guys are legit. I've bought a pc from these guys before (i actually bought parts and built myself but they do have ready built packages)
http://www.dcomponline.com.au/productlist.asp?catid=154

Drache Mithal
19th June 2011, 12:49 AM
IMHO building your own PC always trumps buying a pre-built one. However it always will end up on how much time & money you have to spare. I usually buy my PC parts from MSY.com.au or ITestate.com.au, they're really well priced and usually will get you everything you need really fast. If buying a pre-built, hit up ebay or graysonline.com.au, they are good for the branded PC's (my wife's HP PC was bought from Graysonline a couple years back for $350, came with vista business & 12 month's warranty).

metry
19th June 2011, 01:43 AM
you'd be better off buying from a 'bigger' company

always wonder how long that 'cheap' computer store around the corner will be there if you have issues

well i bought my parts off ijk. they were on average a little bit more expensive than msy but there service is excelent. they offer a one year return to base warranty on all purchases. i built my pc myself and they are quite big. one of my ram modules was dodgey. so i took back the kit and they took care of all the waranty issues for me. within two weeks i had a new kit and my problem was sorted.

Ice
20th June 2011, 08:07 AM
been dealing with Dell for quite a while now - never have had any issues with any of the PC's I've bought (laptop and desktop) - probably about 15 all up in the last couple of years.

same here, even overseas they were quite good, i suppose 1 bad experience can change all that hey Gmonkey, haha

just bought me a dell lappie the other day also. ide say it was better built than a tosh or acer and even HP. Asus are the best imo.

But id go to centrecom, cpl or MSY (all Melbourne based) and have them build one for you if your frightened of the building stage. they also have ready made packages to go, you just need to tell them your looking for a machine on which some gaming can be done.