PDA

View Full Version : New member with a diesel Astra from Northern NSW

Smithy
13th June 2011, 08:52 PM
Hello all. Have just got my 1st diesel (other than an old ute some years ago) and can't believe how this thing goes. Mine is a 2007, 6 speed manual. I've only pushed the 'go fast' button a couple of times, just can't believe it! Anyway, I will be interested in information about servicing it as I do most simple servicing myself. I'm already up on the C3 synthetic oil and hard to get to filter. As my Astra has 85,000 km on the clock, and after reading some info on your forum, it looks like it will need a major service at 90,000 km so will look at getting parts from the UK and will take it into a local workshop (not Holden) to get them to do this work. It looks like I'll need a water pump, a timing belt kit and maybe an inlet manifold, is this correct? Are all Australian 1.9 litre manual diesels 150bhp? . Thanks .
Smithy

faneca
13th June 2011, 09:05 PM
Welcome to oa mate, congrats on the purchase :)

Dahlia
13th June 2011, 09:08 PM
Welcome!

Shadow110
13th June 2011, 09:09 PM
Welcome OA!!!

guy 27
13th June 2011, 10:32 PM
Welcome to OA

sooty
13th June 2011, 11:14 PM
Yep, all are the 150hp model z19dth. But it's only 150 if you leave it that way, it's much more fun at over 210hp ;)

adam_92
13th June 2011, 11:22 PM
welcome to opelaus mate. theres a few oil burners here so there should be plenty of advice and help on mods and servicing

metry
14th June 2011, 02:14 AM
welcome to oa mate. got any pics of your car? and what are your plans for it?

btm
14th June 2011, 10:04 AM
howdy and welcome to the site!

cdti
14th June 2011, 10:38 AM
Welcome. Good to see more people 'smoking' the opposition...

I had my 90k service done at my local Ultra Tune, and the guys there were pretty good, and I think the prices weren't too bad. The water pump and timing belt are recommended by the UK to be done at about 90k, as there have been some failures of the belt, and these may have been due to the water pump bearings failing, and the pump siezing, taking the belt with it. You will only need things to do with the inlet manifold if you have problems with the swirl flaps. Hopefully for you, you may have the same luck I did where these and the alternator (another known problem) were done under warranty by the previous owner.

Smithy
14th June 2011, 03:58 PM
Hello all. Thanks for the welcome and info. As Astra's and diesels are all new to me, I will have to look up the swirl flaps??? I have printed off some good info about cleaning the EGR valve, again, this is all new to me. The car was a one driver company car (I know the driver) and serviced at the Holden dealer per the log book so I hope all is up to date. I intend to leave the car unmodified and pass it onto my 19 yr daughter later in the year (after I send the $ on it by the look of it). I would think a greenboxed, stiffened and well shod CDTi would be a rocket ship so I will just play and stay within the original specs. I might put a K & N filter in as my mate who rally's Subaru's recons this is the cheapest and best first step to make most cars go and get better fuel consumption but in saying that, both of these are outstanding anyway. Do you guys recommend Autovaux or Vauxhall World Parts to get the water pump and timing belt from? Thanks. Smithy

gravy258
14th June 2011, 08:30 PM
autovaux or Vauxhall world parts, either really, just see who's selling the genuine parts. 93191278 timing belt kit and 93179114 water pump.

cdti
15th June 2011, 12:31 PM
If you're looking to give it to your 19 year old daughter, I'd want to be sure that she knows how to handle a car that understeers fairly strongly when pushed before you put a greenbox/or other tuning box on it. My wife drives ours everyday and she's very gentle, but if a 19yo gets some friends in the car and gets a bit excited, she could find herself in trouble.

The airbox on these is used when people upgrade the high end turbos, so it breathes fairly well at the moment, and people don't even say the K&N makes much difference.

adam_92
15th June 2011, 12:39 PM
If you're looking to give it to your 19 year old daughter, I'd want to be sure that she knows how to handle a car that understeers fairly strongly when pushed before you put a greenbox/or other tuning box on it. My wife drives ours everyday and she's very gentle, but if a 19yo gets some friends in the car and gets a bit excited, she could find herself in trouble.

The airbox on these is used when people upgrade the high end turbos, so it breathes fairly well at the moment, and people don't even say the K&N makes much difference.

Huge +1 on the understeering part

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sooty
15th June 2011, 12:47 PM
Rarb for $300 fixes the understeer greatly