PDA

View Full Version : Astra Soft Top

ChrisMaz
10th June 2011, 08:56 AM
Spy Pics!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/09/opel-vauxhall-preparing-soft-top-astra-cabrio/

guy 27
10th June 2011, 09:00 AM
doesn't look sleek enough. maybe with all the camo gear removed it might look better.

sooty
10th June 2011, 09:12 AM
Looks like the twin top, too long and awkward rather than just a sedan with a soft roof

btm
10th June 2011, 09:39 AM
wow that camo does wonders for making it looks shit!

gmonkey
10th June 2011, 10:13 AM
that door just doesnt fit in a soft top... it has full pillars?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Wraith
10th June 2011, 12:02 PM
Very interesting...

The question is indeed - is this going to be a soft top or hard top vert in the AJ model series ???

The last one (AH) was a hardtop, I can't see them going backwards to a soft top vert again ala TS or Astra G...

The top disguise and soft top fitment may be a purposely orchestrated bum steer as this variant could still be 18 months away from launch...

Unless of course Opel are planning to release 2 vert variants, one 4 seater soft top and the other a 2 seater twin top ?? as per pic I posted up on another thread :)

Wraith
10th June 2011, 12:04 PM
that door just doesnt fit in a soft top... it has full pillars?

Yep, that's another give-away that this could be a bum steer...

Soft tops are B pillar-less :)

gmonkey
10th June 2011, 12:31 PM
unless its one of those curtain roof style ones that most euros been doing lately (audi, citreon, fiat)

Wraith
10th June 2011, 12:35 PM
unless its one of those curtain roof style ones that most euros been doing lately (audi, citreon, fiat)

Could be, or maybe even some other kind of full glass top that would require a B pillar ??

Who knows we'll just have to wait and see until it's revealed.

I'm so hoping they do a 2 seater roadster variant with the same drivetrain of the OPC/VXR variant...

gmonkey
10th June 2011, 12:39 PM
targa top :p havent seen one of them in a while

Red AH SRI T
10th June 2011, 02:00 PM
Looks like the twin top, too long and awkward rather than just a sedan with a soft roof

I always thought the TwinTop was one of the better looking hard top convertibles. It seemed pretty well in balance top up or top down, unlike monstrosities such as the Peugeot 307 and 308 CC's or the worst of all the Ford Focus CC with its stupidly long rear overhang

poita
10th June 2011, 02:03 PM
The point of the twin top is still lost on me, I just don't get it

Wraith
10th June 2011, 04:01 PM
I always thought the TwinTop was one of the better looking hard top convertibles. It seemed pretty well in balance top up or top down, unlike monstrosities such as the Peugeot 307 and 308 CC's or the worst of all the Ford Focus CC with its stupidly long rear overhang

Agree - absolutely love the AH twin top, one of the best looking verts or 'CC' ever built...oh and what about the little Mitsu vert to add to the ugly list :D

The point of the twin top is still lost on me, I just don't get it

The whole idea of any convertible Pete is that you have or you get 2 cars in 1 !

It only makes sense to people who like or appreciate convertibles, well me for one :)

The twin top or all of the newer hard top convertibles are even more true to that nature, ie. they are a true coupe/convertible, hence alot of them eg. Peugoets get the CC title in their model/variant number :)

I absolutely love the idea of a fantastic looking coupe, with a fantastic interior which doubles as a convertible that you could at any moment drop the top and enjoy open air motoring and/or show of its interior, the new Lotus CC's coming out in the next couple of years is what I mean :)

Red AH SRI T
10th June 2011, 08:25 PM
oh and what about the little Mitsu vert to add to the ugly list :D

The Colt? I just threw up in my mouth

poita
10th June 2011, 08:34 PM
dont get me wrong, i love convertibles no doubt

i just dont see the point of having a soft top and hard top vert.

guy 27
10th June 2011, 08:41 PM
as said earlier the twin top means it has both coupe styling with the roof up and convertible with the roof down. there is no soft top on the astra tt.

Wraith
15th June 2011, 04:28 PM
The Colt? I just threw up in my mouth

Yep that one LOL :D

dont get me wrong, i love convertibles no doubt

i just dont see the point of having a soft top and hard top vert.

Oh now I see your point and agree, VW has done just that with the new soft top Golf vert and still keeping the almost identicle Eos as a hard top, it should be one or the other, preferably hard top for the new AJ :)

as said earlier the twin top means it has both coupe styling with the roof up and convertible with the roof down. there is no soft top on the astra tt.

W'e'll have to wait and see what they do Guy, as said VW now has both (although different models they are too similar) maybe Opel wants to offer both to compete ??

SIMid
23rd June 2011, 07:54 AM
Looks like a hardtop, the soft top on the proto is fake. Looks hard, taught and defined by the shape of the roof. It's trying to throw people off looking at the pics.

Wraith
23rd June 2011, 08:10 AM
Looks like a hardtop, the soft top on the proto is fake. Looks hard, taught and defined by the shape of the roof. It's trying to throw people off looking at the pics.

I think your right Simon !!!

Common sense would suggest a hardtop to continue from the previous model which was also a hardtop...

Only a new model would be considered if 'going backwards' to a soft top.

I reckon it'll end up being quite the looker :)