PDA

View Full Version : The Tyre Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

coyotte
6th March 2005, 08:31 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys.... I have merged a heap of threads together into one about tyres. There is a lot of info in here. If there is anything not covered in here:

Click here to start a search about tyres (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/search.php)

Or post a question in here :)

Cheers Admin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Astra T with standard 17" , How often are you rotating your tyres ?
I've just done 6,000kms. and my next service is a fair way off.
The fronts appear to be wearing alot quicker than rear.
My previous SRi 2.2 auto had great wear, infact I got 70,000kms out of the original set before replacing all four. (highway k's thou.)

@sh
6th March 2005, 09:20 PM
I Think it tells you in the cars handbook when to rotate..

Being front wheel drive, manual and turbo you would go through tyres allot quicker than an auto and naturally aspirated a lot of power (+ turning etc)going to those front wheels :wink:

Wonder if there are plans for an all wheel drive one :mrgreen:

mr_astra_retired
6th March 2005, 09:31 PM
If the front is more worn than the back , rotate them , my fronts wear much quicker than the rear its the whole front wheel drive + lots of power = less rubber on the front tyres :o

Mr T
6th March 2005, 09:44 PM
We rotate every 5,000KM, just cause I want to but 10,000KM is fine.

Like steve said if they are wearing faster at the front then change them now.

Also, might be best to check the tyre pressure, there has been several reports (including our car) that have slow leaks and due to the size of the tyre these go unnoticed. Low pressure can excellerate wear. I run 40psi now on all tyres, it seems to handle a bit better.

coyotte
7th March 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replys, I've decided to rotate them NOW (at 6,000ks),
and also try 40psi all round for a couple of weeks, instead of 37 front / 35 rear.

sri03
15th February 2006, 03:58 PM
Just had an alignment done by Holden and the service tech recommended 38 psi for front and rears. Anybody else think this is unusual ?

(Astra SRi, Pirelli P6000's 205/50/R16)

btm
15th February 2006, 04:39 PM
38 front and rear.... i run my fronts on a lot less...

blackSRi
15th February 2006, 05:57 PM
I have 16" Vredrestines (205/50 87V) running at 35 (front) and 31.5 (well 32) (rear) - pressures confirmed by my tyre-fitter as correct.
Run them at 38 - you'll soon see if it's not correct when you'll see the centre wearing faster than the edges (ie over-inflated).

sammykkwok
15th February 2006, 06:54 PM
I have the 18 inch factory wheel from Holden, and running at 39psi on all wheels. I can't tell if this is high or not , but this is what opel recommend anyway.

I think if you follow whats in the manual, you are on the save side.

Sammy

ope126
15th February 2006, 07:33 PM
As per tyre placard;

(Front) kPa 230 / psi 33.5 (Rear) kPa 210 / psi 30.5 (Applies to cold tyres) Up to 3 passangers.

12/2003 Holden Astra CDX 205/50 R16 87V Pirelli P6000 (OEM)

Glenn

Mr T
15th February 2006, 07:33 PM
Might be a tad high for XXX/50, but I run 40PSI on 215/40's.

If it is high it wouldn't be by much, if you dont like the ride try 35, but I wouldn't go much less than that.

sri03
15th February 2006, 10:20 PM
Thx for the replies. Will monitor the wear on 38 for a while..

stevedee3
15th February 2006, 10:38 PM
I run mine at 40 psi all round.

sri03
15th February 2006, 10:40 PM
What size are they Stevedee ?

blackSRi
21st February 2006, 07:14 PM
Just read this:

"Do you realize that if your car's tires are only 5 pounds (PSI) low, that your gas mileage drops by around 10%? For an average car, that's about $90 per year!
In addition, did you know that the same slightly low tire will wear out sooner? "

Degen-Astra
21st February 2006, 08:35 PM
36 all around for me...running 205/50/16. 38 was just that little to jarring of a ride.

stevedee3
21st February 2006, 11:43 PM
What size are they Stevedee ?215/50R17 (plus I'll type some more stuff to make my message at least 10 characters)

zoidberg
22nd February 2006, 01:09 PM
The recommended Tyre pressure is different for all models, 5 door hatch, 3 door hatch 4 sedan and then depends on what factory wheels you have.

TCCA told me to run 38psi in the front and 36 to 37 in the rear becuase the car is front wheel drive plus the astra's are far from a 50/50 weight distribution.

woody
22nd February 2006, 03:50 PM
36 fron 34 rear - 2 psi above what the tyre pressure thingy in the fuel cap tells me..

NXA-16H
24th February 2007, 11:12 PM
Ok Ladies and Gentlemen

I have no idea whether or not this question has been posted before, or even if there's been a poll on it...

But out of nothing but curiosity, it would be interesting to know exactly what make and model of Tyre you prefer to ride on over any other make. be it Michelin, Pirelli, Falken, Goodyear, Yokohama, Fulda...whatever.

And yes, I'll be the first to put my 5-cents worth.

As for me, I've recently purchased a set of four Michelin Energy 195/65 R15's for the Zafira; I just had to replace these chinese clones called "Gemstone", which had the same pattern as a Pirelli P-6000. Utter rubbish.

The Michelins for me were a good compromise, with a good combination of riding comfort, quietness, (which the Gemstones NEVER had), and hopefully good durability/road-life.

If I had the patience (and indeed the money), I may have purchased a set of Continentals, if for nothing else but the percieved quality, and the knowledge that it's actually manufactured in Germany.

Tyre-Snob? Moi?

But seriously. What's your rubber?

Do tell.

NXA-16H

Bill_G
25th February 2007, 01:30 AM
I've had exactly 40 years of driving on all manner of tyres, and during that period it was quite clear to me that some tyres were considerably better than others, with Goodyear rubber consistently being the best wearing and handling tyre for my purposes.

For high-speed use in wet weather, Goodyear Ducaros are without a doubt in a league of their own, although their slightly softer compound does tend to impact somewhat on their long-term wear. I've found that in my case, the best overall results were obtained using Goodyear Eagle GA tyres, with better than average wet-weather performance, and exceptional grip on dry roads.

As I'm running conventional 215/60R15 tyres on my Vectra's factory alloys, there's no real point in my opting for a more expensive, higher performance tyre, but were I to fit a set of 18" or 19" wheels, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 low-profile tyres, which are arguably one of the best tyres currently available. IMO, of course. ;)

Vectracious
25th February 2007, 08:42 AM
Have always like Yokohama's. Before I sold the Veccy, I had it fitted all round with A539's - compared to the Dunlop (Dunslip) Monza's that were on it as OEM, the difference was staggering. They were a lot softer and therefore would not last the 50K the Dunlops did, but I would trade that for a safer, better tyre.

I also recently had my wife's Astra fitted with Yokohama A-Drive's on the front. Another fantastic tyre. Have only had them on for about 4 days so can't really judge them yet in terms of handling or braking, but the car feels better to drive than what it did on the (again) OEM Dunlops.

The Potenza's are about to go in the Rex and due to them being $380 a pop to replace - will be opting for Yokohama A-Drive R1's at a more reasonable $250 each.
And no, I don't work for Yokohama.

entice
25th February 2007, 08:48 AM
I'm usually a Michellin Man. (my body physique possible also approximates his aswell)

My first car, a mtsubishi Cordia turbo had factory alloys with some Bridgestone budget crap.. Yes, crap.

These were replaced with a set of rims and Michellin MXV2's. No longer available (Isnt technology great?), these lasted approx 70KkM on that car with me driving it... really pleased, and they gripped well too. They were replaced with Crap Dunlop W1's. Meant to be a performance tyre, but were nowhere near as good as the michellins, I think they only lasted me 15Kkm's.
1997 WRX. 17's with Michellin MXF Sport. Sold the car at 50Kkm, and the tyres were still going strong.. not the best (not a french manufacture) in grip (car assisted that), but that car received quite a bit of punishment....

Next, Mazda MX5 with 17" Dunlop Lemans 701. All I can say is... crap. Crap longevity, crap grip, horrible wet weather performance.. the car would slide in downshifting down a hill...that's how crap they are. Couldnt wait for the 27,000 Km's that they lasted to pass up. Replaced with a set of Bridgestone Grid 3. Much quieter (but certainly not quiet). good grip, good wet weather, good wear.

co-incidently, my Fiat 124 Coupe. I have a set of 13" Yoko A509, and 14" Sava Intensa... the sava need Saving... hold on for dear life in the wet.

Next.. 2003 GDB Subaru STI. factory Bridgestone RE050. Good tyre.. very good tyre actually. Good wear, good grip, but very stiff sidewall. Never changed the tyres on that one, but considered Bridgestone SO3's but was concerened re longevity

Wife's Convertible Astra. Factory Dunlop crap on that. And they are CRAP. tyre is cracking. Never seen that before on any of my cars. Wheel alignment bloke also advised me, that he's seen it on that tyre aswell. Not good. noit happy, and poor wear, grip? Meh... why did they change the tyre supplier from Michellin to Dunlop? I would have been happy to pay a few extra bucks and get the michellins that last longer, made better, and grip better.30,000Km's on the clock (wife's K's) and I'm looking for replacements.

My Wagon? 18"s with Bridgestone G3's. ( I have a deal with a bridgestone supplier). Considered firestone wide-oval (cheaper but had no personal experience), and SO3's (not much more money, but less lifespan..and overkill on the wagon). really happy with them. Could be quieter, but OK. wear is excellent for a tyre of this class, and lateral grip is good. wet weather is good too.

So, what are my guidelines for me?
Never, ever buy dunlop again. Been disappointed twice, where once was enough
Prefer Michellin and conti, but due to frequent vehicle turnover can't justify the vast premium.
Will stick with Bridgestone/firestone (Pardon the pun) due to value for money (good deal) and good product in the more premium range.

Goodyear F1/GSD. Have heard very good, and very bad things about these.. I think there was a change in them from early on to now....Now being the better ones.

DEE-80Y
25th February 2007, 10:27 AM
i currently have faulkens on my beep beep sri atm, thee arent to bad. i do prefer michelin energys as these had lasted me 50k kms and had excellent grip, wear and tear, and minimal road noise.

i previously had nankang cr@p when i went with 17' wheels, these were horrible.

i previously work in the tyre industry and found the top quality tyres were mich, pirelli, continental, yoko, and some bidgestone and goodyears. all these have there good and bad points.

for me i would go with mich every time if they werent so damn expensive, but then again, can you really put a price that is the only thing that keeps your life car in contact with the road?

good post...

rjastra
25th February 2007, 11:04 AM
Michelin Precedas FTW!

Wattie
25th February 2007, 11:21 AM
Michelin Pilot Powers

190/50/17 on the back
120/70/17 on the front

black lines everywhere, withoug doing burnouts.
about $290 for a rear one, and get about 4000kms.

schweeet!!

BTW, i put them on my bike....

MatsHolden
25th February 2007, 03:46 PM
Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.

Bill_G
25th February 2007, 07:40 PM
Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. :o

Haven't used Falken tyres, so can't comment, but their prices seem to be very competitive and the different tread patterns all look quite functional as well. However, while I'm currently getting better than 60,000km from my Goodyear Eagle GAs (set of 4 @ 37psi, rotated front-to-rear every 10,000km), I really can't see any benefit to be gained by changing to a different brand. Besides, for various reasons which I won't go into here, I'll never again buy Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirellis, or Firestone tyres, and that doesn't really leave a hell of a lot, does it? :)

MatsHolden
25th February 2007, 07:50 PM
It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. :o

Had a very similar experience with the Pirelli's hence why not a fan. Really didn't expect a FWD compact car like the Barina to get tail happy at 80km/h... just glad I was able to gather it up before the concrete wall. :o

Blue_Dvl
25th February 2007, 08:35 PM
on previous cars have run bridgestone potenza which i found not bad. Current Astra had dunlop sports (factory) which were rubbish...... i have just upsized to 16" wheels and some Yokohama C-Drive rubber ($200 a corner) which are fantastic. Have transformed the handling of my astra remarkably..... just soo much grip. I was informed by the tyre center that an equivelant michelin to the c-drive would cost me $300 or there abouts per corner.

I also found on my old EL falcon that the Good Years were quite hard to get balanced correctly...... replaced them with the B-stone Potenza's and problem solved.

Apex
26th February 2007, 12:49 PM
When the factory Dunlop’s on my Astra wear out (or maybe sooner as they are absolute crap) ill be replacing them with a set of Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3, I had these tires on my last car and found them to be brilliant, good price, good wet and dry grip, and good looking…only gripe I had with them was road noise, if I could justify the price I would go for the factory fitted tires I had to replace witch were Bridgestone SO2, unfortunately they were over a grand each even at mates rates.

Tfer
26th February 2007, 02:01 PM
I am currently running a mix..... :o

Yokohama AVS' upfront, and Nankang NSII's behind..... all are 235/45/17 for the Veccy on its standard rims (CDXi ones).

I like about both of these:

Their relative quietness
Their good wet weather abilities
Great dry weather handling. :cool:I was told the Nankangs come out of the same factory as the Yokies, and are way cheaper, and find them eminently suitable for my hard style of driving :) I run them at 40psi front and rear, and try to remember to rotate every 10,000km. ;)

My 2 cents.....

Tfer
26th February 2007, 02:02 PM
It's rather interesting that you're the only respondent who has so far mentioned Pirellis, and I was equally as surprised to learn that they're no better than they were 20 years ago. As with yours, the Pirellis on mine were perfectly fine, right up to the point where they suddenly, and without any prior warning, lost all lateral adhesion and put the car into a barely-controllable broadside slide. So much for their state-of-the-art tyre technology! And that was on a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, too. God alone knows what might have happened had they been on my FWD Vectra. :o

Haven't used Falken tyres, so can't comment, but their prices seem to be very competitive and the different tread patterns all look quite functional as well. However, while I'm currently getting better than 60,000km from my Goodyear Eagle GAs (set of 4 @ 37psi, rotated front-to-rear every 10,000km), I really can't see any benefit to be gained by changing to a different brand. Besides, for various reasons which I won't go into here, I'll never again buy Dunlops, Bridgestones, Pirellis, or Firestone tyres, and that doesn't really leave a hell of a lot, does it? :)

Try Nankangs..... just my suggestion, or Yokies ;)

cyclonic
15th March 2007, 03:20 AM
Falken FK452. Good grip, wear quite well and good value. So much better than my Pirelli's I had which had absolutely no grip. They wouldn't let you know when the adhesion limit was being reached, they'd just let go.

I'll probably go to these tyres after my current Goodyear Eagle F1's. The Goodyears are a great wet weather tyre, but the dry level drip isn't that flash. The Falken's are a better compromise and a good price.

As for Nankang - absolute rubbish! The only thing worse - Linglong. The bad smell of those lingers longer!

Tfer
15th March 2007, 09:56 AM
I'll probably go to these tyres after my current Goodyear Eagle F1's. The Goodyears are a great wet weather tyre, but the dry level drip isn't that flash. The Falken's are a better compromise and a good price.

As for Nankang - absolute rubbish! The only thing worse - Linglong. The bad smell of those lingers longer!

Disagree with you on the Nankangs..... well I have only used the NS2's and found them excellent.... outperforming some more highly priced more reputable brands..... :)

JohnBu
15th March 2007, 10:02 AM
check this post out..

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11172&highlight=motor+mag+tyre+test

i've currently got Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1s on my fronts.. good all round tyre at a good price.. you can spend more, but unless you have a sports car, you wouldnt take advantage of a more expensive tyre.

bones
16th March 2007, 12:18 PM
I had a couple of Goodyear F1's on the front of my Calibra and they were very impressive. Prior to that i had been using Vredesteins, which I believe are really Continentals. I got a set when I couldn't get the Falkens I wanted and was very impressed with them [Falkens were good too]. The Potenzas on the Astra seem OK so far but I think I will probably go back to the F1's when they need replacing.
I don't rotate my wheels too often as the fronts invariably wear out way faster than the rears. I usually replace the fronts first, then rotate when the tread is about the same front and rear, then replace the fronts again when they need it. It's always easier buying two tyres at a time than a full set. When I had RWD cars I did rotate and usually replaced all four at once but a bum-dragger needs very different.

entice
16th March 2007, 12:21 PM
I cant wait to replace the stock Dunlop sp 3000A's on the wife's convertible...

absolute rubbish

I think i will try the firestone wideovals on it..

anyone else had poor experience with teh dunlops?

Vectracious
16th March 2007, 12:34 PM
Ianyone else had poor experience with teh dunlops?

You mean Dunslips.....

I've had several different types of dunlops on different cars - they've all been rubbish. Equivalent money for a Yokohama or a Goodyear has purchased a much better tyre IMHO.

ROCCO
30th September 2007, 11:40 AM
As the topic suggest...what tyre pressure should i run on my CD Astra H??

kaoshunter
30th September 2007, 11:51 AM

look on you fuel flap, its got recommended pressure in there

digifish
30th September 2007, 01:22 PM

38 front 36 rear works well for me.

digifish

RobCDX
30th September 2007, 05:14 PM
are you running aftermarket wheels? otherwise its what the placard on the fuel flap suggests.

Vectracious
30th September 2007, 06:51 PM
Please, can people use the search button

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12243&highlight=tyre+pressure

There's a lot of threads on this topic....

trgsiguy
3rd March 2008, 10:45 PM
Hey everyone, maybe someone can help!

I have a TS SRi-T and over the weekend I had a little drama where i had found one of my front tyres had a little thread exposed on the inside edge and had completely worn through.

I took it down to a local tyre shop, one i found open, the best tyres they were peddling were Hankooks, 215/40/17 87w, dunno model number.

Were $220 a corner so I got the fronts done to see how they handled. Wasn't expecting too bad a ride but I'm also coming off Eagle F1's and I have found them to be awesome. After fitting, the ride is ok, a little soft and not quite as sharp or responsive, but going around right hand turns, if i turn the wheel a little too sharply with any pace, the T/C kicks in and the wheel seems to jar/lock for a second as if i had lost all traction momentarily???!?!!!!

Anyone had this problem, know the cause?

Poor tyres?
Poor fitment?
Alignment/Balance?
Trying to punt through right handers too hard? - This probably not the cause as all turns/corners were fine with the F1's fitted.

Help!

Cheers,

Timbo

Vectracious
3rd March 2008, 11:18 PM
Tyres still new and a little slippery until they have been scrubbed in.... just take it easy for another I dunno 100km and then see if it does the same thing.

R3N
4th March 2008, 12:00 AM
might be over inflated as well, causing you to lose grip as you exit corners

aza28
23rd March 2008, 09:34 AM
Curious to know how many of those who have 18" wheels on their Astra G Turbo are using 40 profile tyres?

Do they rub with lowered springs?

CNBLU
23rd March 2008, 10:04 AM
ive got 40 profile and im lowered 40mm all round and mine dont rub... only with a full car load, but that doesnt happen to often. plus 40 profile looks alot better in my opinion.

aza28
23rd March 2008, 10:31 AM
is that 215 or 225 wide?

CNBLU
23rd March 2008, 10:41 AM

blueraven
23rd March 2008, 12:09 PM
with 18's you cant get a 'correct' size tyre in the 40 profile. 215/35/18 is the 'correct' size if you wanna maintain speedo and NEVER rub.

Having said that 215/40 is fine provided your wheels ar the same offset as stock. Might take the edge of your performance tho, i had 225/40/18 once and it really did take the shine of my acceleration :) My new tyres are 225/40/17 with no problems :)

maloo97
21st April 2009, 09:04 AM
Hey all.

Well after a long drive and a bit of research, I need tyres.
Story is my bmw 3 series is a 2002 model. Now it currently has 28,000 K's and has all 4 original Bridgestone Turanza's. They still have 50% tread although i think i need tyres regardless. I'm currently looking at getting Potenza RE050's.

can anyone recomend any other tyre ? ?
Looking for handling, quiet & comfortable.

Thanks in advance

Corsa_Rob
21st April 2009, 11:26 AM
I recently bought a set of Toyo Proxes 4s, highly reconmend them as they're not too expensive, off the top of my head they were $170 a corner.

Got them from tyrepower, the bloke recommended them as a cheaper alternative the to the Potenza.

Performance wise they're fantastic, major step up from my previous tyres. Lots of grip, the car feels that much more stable than before. I have way more confidence when driving hard.

nuggz
21st April 2009, 11:38 AM
And they do alright when emergency stopping in the wet too
im sure Ain's glad u got em :p

maloo97
21st April 2009, 12:07 PM
Leaning towards Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza can get those for $170 a corner.

Needing some for my Astra as well hmmmm

imay
21st April 2009, 12:36 PM
I've got Toyo Teo+ on my convertible at present and very happy with them. Quiet - Yes! Comfortable - Yes! Performance - Not too bad, but don't seem to offer the same road holding as the original Dunlops . . . that only lasted for 30,000 km! Have been told to expect much more from the Toyos.
Wife's G hatchback has Firestone Firehawks (over 30,000 km so far and no sign of excessive wear), and they too seem to be fine, but much noisier.

Manda88
21st April 2009, 12:51 PM
potenza is a good tyre i would recommend them..

other brands to look at:

Kumho (good cheap alternative always seem to be sticky and low road noise)
Sumitumo (not known by many but had #1 tyre for 2008)
maragoni (itailian tyres, similiar to pirelli patterns but a few hundred cheaper by the 4)
pirelli ($$$ but)
yokohamas (if you dont mind forking out a bit again)
roadstones (good replica brand and cheap, hard to find nowdays but)

tyres i'd say stay away from due to bad experience:

Dunlops (overpriced fast wearing and dont have that good of grip.)
Toyos (sorry guys :P, found they have quick wear and seem to have very skinny sidewalls)
Firestones (exploding tyres...no thanks!)

Tyres heard bad stuff about:

Falken
Goodyear (over priced for what they are)
GT Radial
Continental

mr corsa
21st April 2009, 12:58 PM
i run the marigoni's on the barina

Shay
21st April 2009, 01:10 PM
ive heard good things about Nankangs

CNBLU
21st April 2009, 01:44 PM

really?:yikes:

sooty
21st April 2009, 01:45 PM

lol....exactly:p

ChrisMaz
21st April 2009, 01:51 PM
I've driven on Kumho's, Pirelli's and Bridgestones. I've found Kumho to be a much longer lasting tyre.

Shay
21st April 2009, 02:05 PM
really?:yikes:

i think so, by EL Burito,
maybe it wasnt nankangs

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:06 PM
where the **** are you guys getting your marangoni's from?

nobody in qld can tell me who stocks them!

i had marangoni's on my astra and corsa back in SA, and they are by far the best tyres i have ever used.

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:07 PM
i think so, by EL Burito,
maybe it wasnt nankangs
unlikely. nangcrap is the biggest pile of poo.. no grip in the dry, deathwish in the wet

Shay
21st April 2009, 02:09 PM

i had marangoni's on my astra and corsa back in SA, and they are by far the best tyres i have ever used.

by searching the net ive found a place in Vic

sooty
21st April 2009, 02:12 PM

http://www.tyrecorp.com.au/marangoni/
Queensland
2/175 Jackson Road
Sunnybank Hills QLD 4109
P: 07 3344 4177
F: 07 3344 4788

CNBLU
21st April 2009, 02:13 PM
I got a quote for them a while back when i got my wheels and they wanted $295 a corner for 225/40/18. Just didnt have the dosh then.

Shay
21st April 2009, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen
I have asked at well over 20 tyre places, including Jax Quikfit here in Townsville, Brisbane, and Sydney, and none of them have heard of the Marangoni's. I am keen to get a set for my new rims, but it looks like I will have to settle on something else. I even had the local Bridgstone up here say that he didn't like Italian tyres, so he said I should look at some Pirelli's!!! What a douch.
That's just weird ... I got mine from Jax Quikfit here in Brisbane.

Dave

from a VW forum

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.tyrecorp.com.au/marangoni/
Queensland
2/175 Jackson Road
Sunnybank Hills QLD 4109
P: 07 3344 4177
F: 07 3344 4788
thanks. shot them through an email now.

the falkens on the cali are wearing away from not being used :mad:

a set of zeta linea's will go nicely :)

mr corsa
21st April 2009, 02:29 PM
maragoni's are good for doing skids

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:30 PM
maragoni's are good for doing skids
lots and lots of smoke.
pity they wear so quickly. but god damn they dont let go.

Corsa_Rob
21st April 2009, 02:44 PM

haha, was waiting for someone to bring that up. Yes they do stop quite well in the wet.

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:46 PM
thanks. shot them through an email now.

the falkens on the cali are wearing away from not being used :mad:

a set of zeta linea's will go nicely :)

they quoted $249 per corner. Zeta Linea 215/40 17's.

nowhere near as cheap as they are sold in SA :mad: about $100 per corner more expensive :(

Shay
21st April 2009, 02:47 PM
they quoted $249 per corner. Zeta Linea 215/40 17's.

nowhere near as cheap as they are sold in SA :mad: about $100 per corner more expensive :(

you wold have notice a lot of things are like that :p

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:49 PM
you wold have notice a lot of things are like that :p
yep i have noticed alot of things like that.

we get ripped off hardcore here.

Nurb608
21st April 2009, 02:57 PM
I've got pirelli dragons on the veccy and really happy with them. Stcok dunlops on the astra, crap!

Calibrated
21st April 2009, 02:59 PM
I've got pirelli dragons on the veccy and really happy with them. Stcok dunlops on the astra, crap!
still better than the dunlops on the cdti.

spins just trying to pull away normally.

suppose well over 420nm will do that.. hehe.

Nurb608
21st April 2009, 03:10 PM
lol, yeah 420 would kill those tyres.

immenotu
21st April 2009, 04:55 PM
My vote goes with Michelin Pilot Preceda PP2's. Im very happy with mine and will be getting another set when these ones wear out :D

Might be a bit pricey for what you're after tho.

Vectracious
21st April 2009, 05:00 PM
My vote goes with Michelin Pilot Preceda PP2's. Im very happy with mine and will be getting another set when these ones wear out :D

mother in law has these on her 02 3 series - on 16" rims - great tyre and when we got them last year they were under 200/corner (I think 185) from the local BJ T-mart.

Ice
21st April 2009, 10:39 PM
mmm those Zatalinea's look great for a directional tread.

My Pzero Nero's were over $400 a corner for the ovlov :eek: ... had never heard of the Maragoni till now... so thing to remember for next time.

poita
21st April 2009, 10:40 PM

are you stoned?

JR
21st April 2009, 10:48 PM
Leaning towards Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza can get those for $170 a corner.

wat!?!??! where!?!?! :yikes:

wat size?
cheapest i could get was $255 a corner for 215/40/17.

maloo97
22nd April 2009, 12:14 AM
225 / 50 / 16
&
205 / 50 / 16

Need them for 2 cars.

Bridgestone Taren Point. Inc balance and fitment

Shay
22nd April 2009, 01:52 AM
are you stoned?

lol no, not tonight...
i obviously heard wrong/wasnt listening at all...
something about 31's or 36's with letters in front...

i dont know much bout tyres and will be refering to this thread in a couple of months.

poita
22nd April 2009, 07:43 AM
they would be Kuhmo ;)
much better than nankangs

BEK-46P
22nd April 2009, 08:09 AM
I recently got a set of Sumitomos, $190 a corner (not bad for 235/19/35). As mentioned earlier, not very well known but they're made in Japan and are very decent and look great. Well at least they're llight years ahead of those retarded Achilles I had!

Looney
1st May 2009, 10:31 AM
:(

had my heart set on the Lenso's in a 17 inch for my car, however when i saw them in the flesh they kinda suck because all the promo shots are of an 18 inch wheel so the 17's just look kinda poxy.

so problem now is,

nobody in QLD will supply 18's for the barina, because its a huge fine because theyre not load rated correctly, and have an extra 29mm rolling diameter. (also 2 demerits and $200 per corner if you get caught).

cant find any nice 17's, because they all look like aftermarket dodgy type wheels. (why does nobody just do a nice OEM looking basic 5 spoke wheel anymore)

and the 16's i recall last time i had to buy some 195/45/16's they were over $300 a tyre, and current investigatino also finds me at least $240 each for bridgestones or anything half decent.

what has everyone got on their cars? what tyres have most of you got on the standard 16's? or is everyone running aftermarket 17's etc?

really keen to find a solution soon, because i want to put them on when my eibach's get fitted :D

nuggz
1st May 2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_by_car.asp?Keywords=4x100+%2B40&WheelSize=17&runww=%BB+Run+Wheel+Wizard

have a look mate

mr corsa
1st May 2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_by_car.asp?Keywords=4x100+%2B40&WheelSize=17&runww=%BB+Run+Wheel+Wizard

have a look mate

tempe tyres :lol:

Looney
1st May 2009, 10:56 AM
haha, yes am well aware of tempe tyres,

off balance unround chrome wheels spring to mind :D

problem i have however is that in QLD if you put 18's its 8 demerits & $800 if pulled over, i'd rather save my demerits for something more purposeful.

nuggz
1st May 2009, 10:58 AM
haha, yes am well aware of tempe tyres,

off balance unround chrome wheels spring to mind :D

problem i have however is that in QLD if you put 18's its 8 demerits & $800 if pulled over, i'd rather save my demerits for something more purposeful.

lol
i got my wheels from them without issues
and 17's on a barina are enough me thinks
but each to their own

Dowie
1st May 2009, 12:32 PM
Where bout in QLD are u?

Looney
1st May 2009, 01:41 PM
Where bout in QLD are u?

Goldie

thinking from my research i'll have to get a set of 17's because for the price of 4 16" tyres i can get a 17" package.

i just dont like the aftermarket look unless it is a real extreme huge wheel look.

immenotu
1st May 2009, 01:50 PM
Ive got 17" advanti medusas on mine and i love the look (they certainly dont have any factory look about them tho lol).

Im happy with the ride too, its pretty hard but not too uncomfortable.

Dowie
1st May 2009, 05:01 PM
Have u tried F1 wheel and tyre on Brisbane Rd, Labrador?

Keep'emRunning
1st May 2009, 06:54 PM
stgeorgetyres.com.au have some nice wheels as well ;)

Taffy
1st May 2009, 07:06 PM
I've got Falken's on mine (standard wheels). About $180 a tyre.

They assured me that they are pretty good tyres but I'm starting to change my mind about that.

Shay
1st May 2009, 07:11 PM
a few that have that stock but good look.

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=817

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1789

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=827

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=648

not stock lookin but would really suit IMO

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1743

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1746

poita
1st May 2009, 07:55 PM
will have 19's on the calibra when it comes back, 18's on the barina should be no problem

gman
22nd July 2009, 03:36 PM
OK, I',m currently running 215/40/17 for the road and 225/45/17's on the track...

Whats everyone else running either road or track and does anyone think or know if a 235/XX/17 would/could/can fit under the front of a TS SRi-T??

darkirv
22nd July 2009, 05:12 PM
i got 17inch alloys.. 7inch wide with 215/40 tyres

boosted_astra
22nd July 2009, 05:17 PM
im running standard astra sri turbo rims with rubber size 235/40/17

FLY-SRi
22nd July 2009, 05:50 PM
Im running OEM wheels 215/45/17 both street and track.

gman
22nd July 2009, 06:03 PM
im running standard astra sri turbo rims with rubber size 235/40/17

235/40/17's and they are OK?? Any serious rubbing??

boosted_astra
22nd July 2009, 06:13 PM

100% fine. id say go for it tho my sriT is not dumped its sitting nicely and legal

[OPCSRi]
22nd July 2009, 06:21 PM
Running 215's at the moment but like to go 225's next.

gman
22nd July 2009, 06:25 PM
Cool...Mines not super low either but i have coilovers so I can always raise it up anyways...Could be the way to go I think...What tyres are you running???

The 235/40's are also so close to the stock rolling size anyways at just under 1.0% difference from my maths....

boosted_astra
22nd July 2009, 06:40 PM
Cool...Mines not super low either but i have coilovers so I can always raise it up anyways...Could be the way to go I think...What tyres are you running???

The 235/40's are also so close to the stock rolling size anyways at just under 1.0% difference from my maths....

very correct tires not sure will have to look tommorrow when its light

R3N
22nd July 2009, 11:35 PM
glenn you tried running spacers on the stock rims? they sit inside the guards quite abit, pushing them out a little should let you run fatter tyres. i ran 215/40s on my srit rims when i had them

boosted_astra
24th July 2009, 04:38 PM

REGAL RD 3100 235/40/17 AND THEY WORK VERY WELL FOR ME they grip is very well i have no complaints

gman
24th July 2009, 04:47 PM
Thinking of going with the 235/40/17's this time around....Might stick with the Falken RT615's as they just so happen to com in the right size... :)

boosted_astra
24th July 2009, 05:05 PM
Thinking of going with the 235/40/17's this time around....Might stick with the Falken RT615's as they just so happen to com in the right size... :)
sounds good

dr600
7th September 2010, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question I have 19inch VXR wheels I was just wondering what size tyres they have as i have no clue and need to be replaced (eg. 215/45 or whatever)

Thanx heaps
Dave

gmonkey
7th September 2010, 08:45 PM
235/30/19 i think or maybe it was 235/35/19?

sooty
7th September 2010, 08:45 PM
235/30/19 i think

235/35/19

gmonkey
7th September 2010, 08:47 PM
there we go :p

the two 25s put me off it haha

hazrd
6th June 2011, 10:10 PM
Free bump.
Welcome to the OpelAus tyre thread. Ive archived a heap of posts into here

Post up anything you may want to know about tyres here. Otherwise ive created a link in the first post that should generate a search for you :)

Glenn2199
7th June 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the help and advice guy & hzrd. Sure helps researching into my original post:

g'day everyone and i hope this is the right area to post this question. i am finally up for new tyres on my 2002 Sri which is currently sporting the original Michelin Pilot HX 205/50 R16 tyres.
would it be wise to replace them with the same tyres or can anybody recommend a suitable (i.e. less pricey) substitute.
i would appreciate any advice, thanks.

hazrd
7th June 2011, 08:09 PM
for a less pricey substitute, i would recommend Kuhmo Ku31's. they are a pretty good tyre and alot of the guys here use them :)

gman
7th June 2011, 08:35 PM
If you want a track / road tyre and can spring for them, the Yokohama AD08's are excellent.

A TS/G/Mk4 SRi-T can run them in 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 with no issues. Wet and dry performance is perfect and track handling is way above a normal road tyre. Wear so far on mine has been very good.

A good track only tyre is the Toyo R888. I have run them and they wear well, very progressive and high overall grip if not as much as other r-comp tyres. This is offset by their cheaper price.

Outright grip, Hoosier R6 or Yokohama A050''s.

Alix
7th June 2011, 10:41 PM
How's the wear rates on Conti CS2s?

My previous two set sof Turanza ER300 (OEM for my CDTi) both lasted around 25K and I'm up for a new set again. Damn Canberra roundabouts :swg:

At around $185x4 I'm quite tempted to take a run up to Sydney to visit St George, if they can do a set of Conti CS2s for $550 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-X-New-205-55-16-91V-CONTINENTAL-SPORT-CONTACT-2-TYRES-/290572484222?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a7783e7e). That will cost me <$50 for fuel and tolls for that run, and I can't see them wanting >$100 for fitting.

Being a sports tyre I'm not expecting massively good wear rates, but can anyone give me an indication of how much worse I'd should be expecting than a touring tyre like the ER300 (especially since I'm not getting great life out of those)? 25K is about two years driving for me.

If anyone else wants to throw a recommendation my way in a 205/55R16 you're more than welcome.

adam_92
8th June 2011, 12:22 AM
whats the difference between kumho ku31's and kumho ku36's?? which one is better for everyday road use on the veccy stock 17's?

Bloodnok
8th June 2011, 07:42 AM
whats the difference between kumho ku31's and kumho ku36's?? which one is better for everyday road use on the veccy stock 17's?

The 36 is a much softer compound with a lot less grooves. It's really intended to be a dry weather road/track tyre.

JMZ
8th June 2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like Michellin, Goodyear, Bridgstone are leading the way in popularity closely followed by Yokohama.

I had Nakangs......shite......absolute shite in the wet. A tonne of understeer and won't pull up at all.

J
9th June 2011, 09:36 AM
If you want a track / road tyre and can spring for them, the Yokohama AD08's are excellent.

A TS/G/Mk4 SRi-T can run them in 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 with no issues. Wet and dry performance is perfect and track handling is way above a normal road tyre. Wear so far on mine has been very good.

A good track only tyre is the Toyo R888. I have run them and they wear well, very progressive and high overall grip if not as much as other r-comp tyres. This is offset by their cheaper price.

Outright grip, Hoosier R6 or Yokohama A050''s.

Thank you gman. That is very useful.

I really want to try the AD08's, but for the standard TS SRi-T size of 215/40R17, the load rating is only 83, meaning that it is below the requirement of 87, at least according to the car's brochure (my car and handbook are with my mechanic right now, so I can't check from there)...

Can someone please check their handbook or tyre placard on their TS SRi-T's to confirm the minimum load rating specific to these Astra models? Thank you!

The AD08's in 215/45R17 do have a load rating of 87, but the overall increase in wheel/tyre diameter is 64.84mm, or 3.56%, and I have been told by some tyre shops that the overall diameter of each wheel/tyre must not exceed 15mm from stock, at least in NSW. I didn't believe this at first, but then I found these...
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_exempt_modifications.pdf (middle and bottom of page 2):

Fitting alternative wheels and tyres by changing the outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination by no more than 15 mm over the largest or below the smallest combination specified by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf (bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3)

The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Replacement wheels requiring an engineering certificate
Wheels that exceed the diameter and width limits for minor wheel changes must be assessed by a signatory. If the signatory finds that the wheels are safe for your vehicle, you will be issued with an engineering certificate.
The vehicle owner must notify the RTA so that registration records can be updated. This is done by obtaining an “Adjustment of Records” and a “blue slip” from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS).
(contact the RTA Customer Service Centre on 13 22 13 for details of your nearest AUVIS).
The Adjustment of Records, blue slip and engineering certificate are then presented at a Motor Registry.
The owners copy of the engineering certificate is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle. This certificate must be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

So it looks like it is more trouble than it is worth for me.

Incidentally, whilst pricing up the Bridgestone Adrenalin's (aka RE001's), I've noticed that the new Bridgestone RE002 and S001 have been launched:
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/media/articles/re002.aspx
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/media/articles/s001.aspx

The RE002 is supposedly better than the Adrenalin's in almost every area. Have anyone tried these out yet? What are your thoughts on them? Please share! Thank you!

JohnBu
9th June 2011, 11:24 AM
FYI-

I tried 225/45R17s (CSC2) on the front of the astra.

My suspension (at that time) was lowered with a fair bit of camber.

It scrubbed... scraped both the plactic liner & chuck out of the tyre.

I wouldn't recommend it, both the cost of the tyre, switching back and forth, plus the inconvenience of it.

I'm now using 215/45R17s (re001) without any issues.

I haven't noticed any reduction in sidewall flex/handling going from 215/40 to 215/45, however as expected the ride is more compliant.

As another bonus, the 45 is cheaper than the 40.

The RE002 press release is only a month old, but according to Bridgestone, appears to be an improvement..

They (re001) are my current tyre of choice for a non-track tyre., I'll try the re002 when my tyres wear out.

JohnBu
9th June 2011, 11:30 AM
wow... S001 is out..

I wonder how much better it is over the RE001 and RE050...

they haven't really had the Sxxx since the much revered S03

Paddy
14th June 2011, 11:17 PM
Paddy here, just new today but this is just the thread I need as it's one of my first priorities besides the 120k service on my vecy C

I need 4 new paws and I don't really want to spend a few hundred each corner. It's the family car but we drive like it should be driven so I need somethin half decent. currently runningon the standard 215/50/17 Vestra alloys (rare tyres!!!). I have had the original NCT5's which were OK for wear and grip, Then I went to the Maxxis ZRS4? tyres. These were average all round. Bob Jane is trying to sell them to me again but I'm hesitent.

I found the Khumo KU31 or the KH16 or 17 were available and am currently swaying towards the KU31. A mate of mine had them on his skyline and said they were good all rounders unless you want to go drifting, not likely:) Kmart doiung them for $179 each.

So what do I do? Who can offer alternatives for my vecy C CDXI? I'm after in order of preference Good wear, quite, decent grip.

How do I stop the scolloping on the rear tyres? apparently it's common on Vectra's, VW Polos and some other front drive euros. I rotate them every 5K but is there a fix for it?

for a less pricey substitute, i would recommend Kuhmo Ku31's. they are a pretty good tyre and alot of the guys here use them :)

guy 27
14th June 2011, 11:27 PM
If your going to go down the kuhmo path. Give option 1 garage a call. I found them to be very cheap on price and also outstanding service.
Tyres all come down to budget though. Get the best you can afford.

As for the scalloping. You may require the rear wheel alignment to be altered.

adam_92
14th June 2011, 11:51 PM
iv got terrible scalloping. never had time to get a wheel alignment. gonna get one very soon though. my cdxi is chewing the rear tyres and making the ride really bumpy and rough at 80kmh+

JMZ
15th June 2011, 12:59 PM
i've got the following quotes if anyone is interested;

KU31's from Option 1 Garage for $171 each (215/40/R17) - $181.50 from Jax Quickfit

Federal 595-SS, also from Option 1 for $113 each (215/40/R17) - $110 from Jax Quickfit

Pirelli P7 from Jax Quickfit for $193 (215/45/R17)

Nexen N6000 from Jax Quickfit for $147 (215/40/R17)

adam_92
15th June 2011, 01:13 PM

KU31's from Option 1 Garage for $171 each (215/40/R17) - $181.50 from Jax Quickfit

Federal 595-SS, also from Option 1 for $113 each (215/40/R17) - $110 from Jax Quickfit

Excellent. Cheers mate. Will help me a lot

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

J
15th June 2011, 01:25 PM
The AD08's in 215/45R17 do have a load rating of 87, but the overall increase in wheel/tyre diameter is 64.84mm, or 3.56%, and I have been told by some tyre shops that the overall diameter of each wheel/tyre must not exceed 15mm from stock, at least in NSW. I didn't believe this at first, but then I found these...
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_exempt_modifications.pdf (middle and bottom of page 2):

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf (bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3)

So it looks like it is more trouble than it is worth for me.

Sorry people, I must've been dozing off when I typed that!

The difference in circumference between the 215/40R17 and the 215/45R17 is 64.84mm. But the difference in diameter between the 215/40R17 and the 215/45R17 is actually only 20.64mm. Still, as it exceeeds the legal requirements in NSW (unless you have an engineering certificate, which I don't have time or energy for), I will have to abandon that option. However, I thought it is best for me to post the correction anyway, in case I've misled anyone!

Anyway, I will put on the RE002's as soon as they become available in 215/40R17, and let you all know what I think of them...

J
15th June 2011, 01:31 PM

Thank you jimbow86. Nice stuff!

From Tempe Tyres, I was quoted about 1 week ago, KU31's for $130 each, and Falken FK452 for $150 each. Both in the 215/40R17 size, and the price includes fitting and balancing. So it might be worth working out if it is worth getting tyres from them after P&H, and then having them fitted and wheel aligned in Brissy...

J
15th June 2011, 01:47 PM
Paddy here, just new today but this is just the thread I need as it's one of my first priorities besides the 120k service on my vecy C

I need 4 new paws and I don't really want to spend a few hundred each corner. It's the family car but we drive like it should be driven so I need somethin half decent. currently runningon the standard 215/50/17 Vestra alloys (rare tyres!!!).
I found the Khumo KU31 or the KH16 or 17 were available and am currently swaying towards the KU31. A mate of mine had them on his skyline and said they were good all rounders unless you want to go drifting, not likely:) Kmart doiung them for $179 each.

So what do I do? Who can offer alternatives for my vecy C CDXI? I'm after in order of preference Good wear, quite, decent grip.

Welcome Paddy to OA!

Amongst the 3 Kumho's you have listed, if you want tyre life and low noise more than outright grip, then according to www.kumho.com.au (http://www.kumho.com.au/), the KH17 would better fit your needs than the KU31. There are other Kumho models available too, and some of them might even come in your size. I would suggest you have a look there. Just make sure they meet the load rating for your car. I am sure other Veccy C CDXi owners can confirm this with you, or simply have a look at your tyre placard!

I was going to second guy 27's advice regarding getting Kumho's from Option 1 Garage, especially considering they are great value, and are only located 12 minutes from the Brisbane CBD (according to Google Maps). But as we have found out just then, it might be cheaper for you to get the tyres posted from Tempe Tyres and then having them fitted and wheel aligned locally instead.

Whichever way you go about this, hopefully a correct wheel alignment will help prevent the new rears from scalloping!

[Also, ask for the manufacture date/week of the tyres. No point buying tyres at a "good" price when they are, say, more than 1 year old, as tyre performance degrades the older they are, and personally, I would avoid using anything that is more than 5 years old!]

Having said all that, if I am in your shoes, and depending how spirited is your driving style, I would call up all the Bridgestone retailers in Brissy, and see what kind of deal they can do for the RE001's (in 215/50R17 91W. Again, provided your car's load rating is 91 or less). Then I would consider whether I value safety enough to justify the extra spend. Personally, I would go for the RE001's before the KU31's, simply because even if I drive granny-style 24/7, I'd never know when *that* instant would come, when I would need all the extra agility, stability, and reduced stopping distance that are available on-call from the RE001's in order for me to avoid an accident.

For the record, my current RE001's have served me well for tens of thousands of km's (I need to check the log book for exact km's!) using my efficient driving style. They don't seem to lose grip as they wear out over time, as quickly as the other tyre I had (Toyo Proxes4), so Bridgestone's claim that they have grippier compounds at lower tread depth(s) may be plausible. In fact, they haven't really started slipping until now, when they are about 1 or 2mm above the indicator, and *only* when I do 90-degree tight suburban corners at above average speeds, in the pouring wet!

Paddy
18th June 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks J,

I considered KH17's but there a little on the suburban side. I like some performance that's why I'll probably go witht the KU31's. I checked Bridgestones because that's what I always had on the old Berlina but there a little on the steep side for me at the moment (kids graduating, schoolies blah blah) I'd rather spend the money but it'll be next time around. All the tyres mentioned come in the correct load rating so that's cool and my driving style has become more sedate as I age. I still enjoy blasting through the hills on the weekends but I don't take as many risks anymore!

I'll taqke Guy 27's advise and check out Option 1 Garage. Never heard of them but they sound good.

If I buy new tyres that's waht I want on the car. Nothing worse than old hard rubber.

The problem with the Veccy is that the tyre size doesn't give a great deal of choice unless you want to spend big.

Paddy
18th June 2011, 08:38 PM
Guy, Had the rears aligned as best they could. They did a full 4 wheel alignment but it makes very little difference. It's an is with the Veccy's however it doesn't seem to wear the tyres out any earlier it just makes them a little noisy.

I'll check it again when I get the Khumo's or as J suggested I may be tempted to look at the Bridgestones 01's however I think they may have been replaced with 02's as someone else mentioned. They weren't cheap but they are Bridgestones and I always used to have Turanza's.

Kmart at Garden City were doing the KU31's in 215/50/17 for $179 and the KH17 for $169

droodles
18th June 2011, 11:39 PM
What pressure are people running their tyres at? I'm running at the recommended 34 psi for the front with 38/29 for the rear left and rear right respectively.

sooty
19th June 2011, 12:03 AM
What pressure are people running their tyres at? I'm running at the recommended 34 psi for the front with 38/29 for the rear left and rear right respectively.

Why so crazy on the rear?
I go for 37 all round, nice balance of traction and economy

Paddy
19th June 2011, 05:24 PM
I'm running 36 to 38 all round in a Vectra CDXI. Depends on where I'm driving. Uaually 36 around town and up to 38 on the highway trips.

poita
19th June 2011, 05:44 PM
Why such a big difference left to right?

hazrd
19th June 2011, 08:43 PM

+1 :confused:

btw.. 36 all round for me (tyre joint recommendations)

droodles
19th June 2011, 10:50 PM

Why so crazy on the rear?
I go for 37 all round, nice balance of traction and economy

Just following what it says on the sticker on the fuel cover. I'll take a pic if you don't believe me. I thought it was WTF as well.

guy 27
19th June 2011, 10:55 PM
I'll take a pic if you don't believe me

please do.

droodles
20th June 2011, 01:47 PM
http://localhostr.com/files/7yybZJR/DSC02650.JPG

As requested.

...unless I've been reading it wrong :S

guy 27
20th June 2011, 01:51 PM
You're def reading it wrong. Top pressures are for up to 3 passangers. Bottom is for a fully loaded car.

Not left and right.

Nurb608
20th June 2011, 01:53 PM
http://localhostr.com/files/7yybZJR/DSC02650.JPG

As requested.

...unless I've been reading it wrong :S

Cant open it :(

You sure you didn't mistype the "29"?

JohnBu
20th June 2011, 01:58 PM
Yes you have! lol..

the rears should be the same on each side...

It's higher if you carry 5 people or lower with up to three people.

JohnBu
20th June 2011, 02:00 PM
I think droodles has been looking at the chart as a picture of the car!!

I've spun out on a RWD car because the ****ers at the tyre shop put one rear tyre at 30 and the orther at 50psi!!!

droodles
20th June 2011, 05:01 PM
I think droodles has been looking at the chart as a picture of the car!!

I've spun out on a RWD car because the ****ers at the tyre shop put one rear tyre at 30 and the orther at 50psi!!!

Yeah LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh shit, all this time I thought the diagram was a picture of the car.

ROFL oh dear. ohhh dear. wouldn't surprised if the rears were worn out in a retarded manner.

ROCCO
20th June 2011, 07:48 PM
Ok my turn....basically its time to change the wifes tyres....after serving her for a very good 7 years (OE Tyres that come with the car ex belgium its the last of the TS model) Her Pirelli P3000 are due for a change this saturday. problem is i'm tossing up what to put on the car i've narrowed it down to 2 tyres:

Kumoh KH17
Pirelli P5

the car is not modifed at all and never will be...my car is for that at least thats what the missus says the car gets highway and freeway driving weekly and alot of runabout driving. The prices I have been quoted are:

KH17 - $110
P5s - $130

Only reason i'm leaning towards the P5s is becuase of the good run we had with the OE tyres. i've herd nothing about the KH17 but i'm sure alot of you have...please help me decide.

Thanks

ROCCO

hazrd
20th June 2011, 07:51 PM
here is the opinion on the KH17s for you mate..

they were put on the missus SRi when we bought the car with 26k on the clock...... she doesnt drive it hard, i dont drive it THAT hard, regular wheel alignments and balances...

car now has 61k on the clock, and they are starting to handle like shit in the wet. they arent on the wear limiter yet, but its a concern when u take off at the lights steady and you get a bit of wheelspin

and... we still have the OE bridgestone RE50A's on the back from when it was new

ROCCO
20th June 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks Hazrd I was leaning toward the Pirellis...mainly because as i said above we have had such a good run with them I guess you get what you pay for huh

hazrd
20th June 2011, 08:56 PM
no dramas
yeah i gathered they would be crap when the dealer said he put new tyres on the front before the sale lol

Paddy
20th June 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm still tossing up the Khumo KU31's for the Veccy C. Option 1 Garage can't do them at the moment and offered KH17 or KU23. KH17's aren't rated to W so I'm giving them a miss and as they are a herder tyre they will gie out towards the end.

KU31's seem to be the go but the KU23's have some decent reviews though they are limited in number. $147 for the 23's. Anyone have any info on the KU23's????

dizzydumb
21st June 2011, 12:48 PM
So I bought my car from Sydney and it came with 2x Conti 235/35/19 SC2 in front, and 2xRotalla 245/35/19 (wrong size!) dodgies in the rear.

Wet weather: I started powersliding at 50-60kph around bends, damn ridiculous, even led me to post questions on what i thought was a 'lift-off oversteer'.
Ok, so went to holden and got a major service done, including wheel aligntment + balancing, and a complete suspension reset (loosen up all joints and re-adjust all positions). The rotallas now end up in the front.

I've been understeering at 40kph in corners! Almost mounted the kerb the other day.
On dry roads they're okay, just okay, but on wet roads it almost seems like i'm driving with totally BALD tyres (albeit them having 70% thread!).

So I finally got fed up and changed the rotallas to Kumho Ku31s and voila, problem solved. Thank God the tyre shop guys are willing to take them for $40 each traded in.

So beware guys!

J
21st June 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm still tossing up the Khumo KU31's for the Veccy C. Option 1 Garage can't do them at the moment and offered KH17 or KU23. KH17's aren't rated to W so I'm giving them a miss and as they are a herder tyre they will gie out towards the end.

KU31's seem to be the go but the KU23's have some decent reviews though they are limited in number. $147 for the 23's. Anyone have any info on the KU23's????

Good afternoon Paddy.

Without having ever driven on Kumho's, and just by looking at their naming conventions, as well as their claimed characteristics on the Kumho web site, it seems that the KH's are more of their standard/entry level products, whereas the KU's seem to be their higher performance/"sports" level products.

Theoretically, this would favour the KU23 more than the KH17, according to your personal preference. Having said that, as the KU23 is not even listed on their web site, and it is one of the lower-numbered KU's around, I'd hazard a guess that those tyres are probably too old to be worth buying?

On another note: have you tried contacting Tempe Tyres? I know they are based in NSW, but you may get better Kumho's (if not the Falken FK452's, which, at a similar price to the KU31's in my size, I would IMHO put on my car first before the KU31's) for not much more money, even after taking postage and separate mounting/disposal of old tyres/wheel alignment costs into account...?

kabel
21st June 2011, 03:03 PM
Well Done !

benzino
21st June 2011, 04:19 PM
cause a brand like that wouldn't give warning anyway

and I thought triangle talons were bad :D

dizzydumb
21st June 2011, 04:20 PM
Sorry for being a noob, but what are triangle talons mate ?

hazrd
21st June 2011, 05:42 PM
Sorry for being a noob, but what are triangle talons mate ?

the equivalent tyre quality to rotalla tyres :lol:

poita
21st June 2011, 05:43 PM
like Sava and nankang

dangerous as all shit and tbh shouldn't be sold to anyone

Paddy
21st June 2011, 08:15 PM
Hey J, Emailed them last night to see what the date stamp was and they have not got back to me. Makes me wonder??? I won't be getting them if there over 12 months old. I just can't imagine temp could do the tres so much cheaper as to make it worth it. he Veccy tyres are an odd fit so they usually charge a little more for them. I may check them out.

Glenn2199
2nd July 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the help and advice guy & hzrd. Sure helps researching into my original post:

g'day everyone and i hope this is the right area to post this question. i am finally up for new tyres on my 2002 Sri which is currently sporting the original Michelin Pilot HX 205/50 R16 tyres.
would it be wise to replace them with the same tyres or can anybody recommend a suitable (i.e. less pricey) substitute.
i would appreciate any advice, thanks.

I ended up fitting her with Dunlop Fast Response tyres after securing a good deal. They are quiet and feel fine in both wet and dry conditions. Thanks again for the advice on this fourm. Been an expensive year having to fork out for a new coil, alternator, battery and tyres but still love my Sri.

J
7th July 2011, 04:13 PM
Hey J, Emailed them last night to see what the date stamp was and they have not got back to me. Makes me wonder??? I won't be getting them if there over 12 months old. I just can't imagine temp could do the tres so much cheaper as to make it worth it. he Veccy tyres are an odd fit so they usually charge a little more for them. I may check them out.

Paddy: Like Autovaux, it seems Option 1 Garage responds better if they are contacted by phone. Any updates on this?

I ended up fitting her with Dunlop Fast Response tyres after securing a good deal. They are quiet and feel fine in both wet and dry conditions. Thanks again for the advice on this fourm. Been an expensive year having to fork out for a new coil, alternator, battery and tyres but still love my Sri.

Glenn2199: Did you take advantage of the "buy 3 get 1 free" deal? Please let us know how you find the performance of those Dunlops as they wear.
And sorry to hear about the spending, but hopefully you don't have to worry about those parts failing for a while! (By the way, the next time the battery is not charged, it may only be due to the voltage regulator part of the alternator, which is a lot less expensive to replace than the entire alternator!)

J
7th July 2011, 04:20 PM
A quick update on my end: even though my RE001's are on their last legs (the outer edges are about 1mm deep!), they still grip well enough except on really, really wet surfaces, so I might just use them for a bit longer...they certainly grip better than the worn out Toyo Proxes4's that I had before!

Has anyone tried the RE002's or the S001's yet? Please tell us what you think of them!

Also, has anyone bought and shipped tyres from overseas before? And is it worth doing?

(I am going to HK in a fortnight, so I wonder if it is worth carrying, say, 2 back with me in my luggage, and shipping the other 2...)

Thanks!

gman
7th July 2011, 08:31 PM
Bought from the US and even with shipping was a lot cheaper for track tyres.

Excess baggage on 2 tyres unless your flying business/first might be the deciding factor. Some airlines r doing size and weight on baggage now.

Postage from HK is usually pretty cheap, but sourcing what you want might be a pain unless you know exactly where you r going to get them from.

My 2c worth is the Yokohama AD08's. Love mine, even before the cup started.

BTW where in HK r u staying? Be prepared as its damn hot here ATM?

Sent from........

J
8th July 2011, 02:04 PM
Bought from the US and even with shipping was a lot cheaper for track tyres.

Excess baggage on 2 tyres unless your flying business/first might be the deciding factor. Some airlines r doing size and weight on baggage now.

Postage from HK is usually pretty cheap, but sourcing what you want might be a pain unless you know exactly where you r going to get them from.

My 2c worth is the Yokohama AD08's. Love mine, even before the cup started.

BTW where in HK r u staying? Be prepared as its damn hot here ATM?

Sent from........

gman: where did you get yours in the US? I did a quick search in tirerack before, and from memory, I can't see them doing shipping to Oz...

Any places in HK you would recommend getting tyres from?

Really wanted the AD08's, but (as mentioned before in one of my earlier posts in this thread), 215/45 is more than the legally allowed overall diameter change in RTA's perspective i.e. illegal.

[OT: Yes I saw the temp was already 29 degrees Celsius on a supposedly partly cloudy day at 6:00a.m. this morning! Just staying for a few days (in Tsim Sha Tsui), then over to Taiwan for another few. Where do you hang out in HK?]

gman
8th July 2011, 05:38 PM
Sorry should have been clearer. I bought the AD08's in Australia, but I have bought other tyres from the US and yeah it was Tire Rack, they will send to Aus no prob..

I work in Central and live in Happy Valley opposite the race course...And its damn hot and humid here ATM...

Glenn2199
8th August 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi J, sorry I did not reply sooner. Yes, it was the Dunlop "buy 3 get 1 free" deal I obtained from Beaurepaires. Will update you as they wear a bit. Not even chalked up 1000km on them yet, but so far so good.
The auto-electrician had a crack at fitting a new voltage regulator first but discovered the whole unit was kaputt !

Paddy: Like Autovaux, it seems Option 1 Garage responds better if they are contacted by phone. Any updates on this?

Glenn2199: Did you take advantage of the "buy 3 get 1 free" deal? Please let us know how you find the performance of those Dunlops as they wear.
And sorry to hear about the spending, but hopefully you don't have to worry about those parts failing for a while! (By the way, the next time the battery is not charged, it may only be due to the voltage regulator part of the alternator, which is a lot less expensive to replace than the entire alternator!)

adam_92
8th August 2011, 09:23 PM
what tyres would you guys reccomend for 235/35/R19 around the $200-$250 mark?

hazrd
8th August 2011, 10:01 PM
id pitch in the extra few bucks a corner and go these....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bridgestone-Potenza-Adrenalin-235-35-R19-91W-Tyre-BN-/290524203950?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a4978bae#ht_1610wt_905

adam_92
8th August 2011, 10:14 PM
i dont mind paying the bit extra for decent tyres. but i thought the potenzas were crap?? im obviously getting confused with other tyres haha

hazrd
8th August 2011, 10:15 PM
lol
ive been for a run in paulyj's corsa with these adrenalins and they stick pretty damn good imo

adam_92
8th August 2011, 11:23 PM
Ok so its 70 bucks for postage for 4 to Adelaide. 1170 in total... does that sound reasonable for those tyres?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

hazrd
9th August 2011, 08:51 AM
For 19s definitely

Da_Omen
13th August 2011, 03:17 PM
Hey all, just thought I'd bring this up... Just recently bought my MY03 Astra SRi Turbo and love it I must say....

But since I bought it, its had this massive vibration when I drive at 110km_+ .... took it today to get a balance and wheel alignment, thinking this was the problem, but no...

It had fairly new tires on it and this is why it killed me spending the money on them...

It had "Zex" i think its spelt, and they caused the vibration in the car...

Have a brand new set of Khumo's on it now and drives like a new car....

Thought I'd just let you know saves you making the same mistake...

Damo

Hackstra
15th August 2011, 09:02 AM
Hey guys,

Can anyone who has used The Tire Rack before to get tyres shipped out to Aus, describe their experience? I'm interested in getting a new set of tyres for the rex and inclusive of shipping they're much cheaper than here. Also once you received the tyres how do you go about getting a place to fit them? Are they happy for you to BYO tyres?

Cheers

Scott

gmonkey
15th August 2011, 09:08 AM
Every time I've messaged them they have been more than helpful and friendly. Deff would recommend them and postage of wheels seemed decent pricing not to mention their pricing to start with is good. Fitting just get ur local tyre shop to it's about $10-20 a corner

JMZ
23rd August 2011, 10:45 AM
is it worth placing an opinion poll in this thread? Not so much as to vote on a tyre as what you think is the best one, but to show which tyre is most used by us on OA. so at a glance, we can all see what the most popular tyre is and take it upon ourselves to do some further research as required by either browsing this very informative thread or doing a bit of googling and making some phone calls.

I know that this particular opinion poll would be huge but I think now that there are a good number of posts here it should provide a decent database to start with. Don't bother listing tyres that have only been mentioned once (or maybe twice) but definately brands and/or models that seem to pop up quite regularly.

is there too much work involved?

guy 27
23rd August 2011, 11:05 AM
I think there's too many Tyres to list. The website I listed earlier has great reviews on just about every tyre out there.

hazrd
23rd August 2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah pretty much what guy said, would be a LOT of stuffing around plus the poll wouldnt be big enough to list the brands of tyre :lol:

while on topic... ive been watching these, had them on the calibra and thought they were pretty good then. Thoughts??
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360387957540

JMZ
23rd August 2011, 12:46 PM
I think there's too many Tyres to list. The website I listed earlier has great reviews on just about every tyre out there.

where did you post that? I've had a look back through this thread and can't find it......

Yeah pretty much what guy said, would be a LOT of stuffing around plus the poll wouldnt be big enough to list the brands of tyre :lol:

hmm, thought so.

J
25th August 2011, 02:29 PM
while on topic... ive been watching these, had them on the calibra and thought they were pretty good then. Thoughts??
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360387957540

IMHO, they are not as good as the FK452. More opinions here:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm

hazrd
25th August 2011, 02:38 PM
according to that site, the 452's rated 2% lower on average to the 912's?

that being said, the 452's got a much higher score with the progressiveness. although, the 452's are a bit more difficult to get in my size than the 912's (205 45 16)

Bloodnok
25th August 2011, 03:11 PM
according to that site, the 452's rated 2% lower on average to the 912's?

You've also got to consider what the buyers expectations are. A tyre that is rather mediocre, but people aren't expecting much from it when they buy will rate highly...

J
26th August 2011, 11:44 AM
Sorry my bad...

[I also had no idea that this thread has been moved from the General section...only found it when I was checking my PM...! So sorry also for any delayed response...]

The FK452 is designed to be an Ultra High Performance Summer tyre, while the ZE912 is supposed to be a Premium Touring Summer tyre. So it depends on what one wants from their new tyres, really!

[Note that the ebay seller is claiming that it is from the FK product line, by listing it as a FK ZE912. This is COMPLETELY false: there is NO FK912 or FK ZE912! Seems like the seller is just trying to mislead or deceive in order to rip more money out of the unsuspecting buyer!]

I remember Gman actually recommending the FK452 for those of us who are on a budget. Maybe it is in one of the earlier posts in this thread. Or you can just PM him to confirm :)

The last time I've asked around, Tempe Tyres was doing great deals on the FK452 and the Kumho KU31. I think I quoted some prices in one of my earlier posts (sorry I'm too busy to dig for it now, but it shouldn't be that many pages before this!)...may work out cheaper for you, even with postage included!

Wraecca
13th September 2011, 09:36 PM
Well, it looks as though I'm going to need to replace my tires soon, I'm no longer getting that much grip on them wet OR dry. I know that the KU31's come highly recommended, and up until recently I don't think I would've looked past them for the Astra...however, not too long ago I was advised to go Michelin...

...the only thing is, I don't know if I can get the Khumo's in that size for my car, as I only have the stock 15" rims...

...therefore, do I stick with trying to source the Khumo's or go Michelin? And if I go Michelin, what do people recommend? I wouldn't mind getting 17"rims, if I can source (and afford) a set that I like...

hazrd
13th September 2011, 10:25 PM
kumho ku25's arent too bad imo if you are on a budget and arent driving around like you have a racecar

these are pretty cheap - $57 each (assuming your 15s are 195/50's), and thats US price so a little cheaper again
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+AST&partnum=95HR5EAST&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

$228 a set + post, could get a set of 4 at your door for under $300

Wraecca
13th September 2011, 10:46 PM
kumho ku25's arent too bad imo if you are on a budget and arent driving around like you have a racecar

Awwww, but I want to..... :lol:
Actually, I don't drive that hard, but I *have* managed to do a 180 in it...unintentionally :lol:

these are pretty cheap - $57 each (assuming your 15s are 185/50's), and thats US price so a little cheaper again
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+AST&partnum=95HR5EAST&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Not sure if my 15's are 185/50's...and they were 195/50's...and we can't go out and check because Guy has my car!!!

hazrd
13th September 2011, 10:53 PM
:facepalm: my bad, i MEANT 195 (suffering from fat finger syndrome)

Well once you can get your full tyre size, have a look on that website because those prices are so amazingly cheap and even with postage, works out cheaper than buying local for some brands of tyre

Wraecca
13th September 2011, 11:03 PM
:facepalm: my bad, i MEANT 195 (suffering from fat finger syndrome)

:lol:

Well once you can get your full tyre size, have a look on that website because those prices are so amazingly cheap and even with postage, works out cheaper than buying local for some brands of tyre

Will do, thanks :)

dizzydumb
14th September 2011, 10:47 AM
I've personally used the Kumho Ecsta SPT 16", 17", 18" and now 19" on my VXR. (god knows what KU code they are, but i know the 19s are KU31). Might not line up against other better tyres for track runs, but I swear by them for other applications!

Wraecca
14th September 2011, 06:10 PM
What about the Michelins? What would people recommend - the Pilot Sport, Primary or Energy? I've heard the Pilot series are fantastic, JaxQuickFit have quoted the Pilot Sport 3 and the Primary LC from $205, and the Energy XM2 from $109...

JohnBu
16th September 2011, 06:23 PM

Tirerack shipping is usually $250-300 for a set to Oz, this makes buying cheap to mid range tyres from them unviable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazrd
20th September 2011, 01:18 PM
Just had a wheel alignment & balance done. but something on the invoice doesnt make sense.....

Rear tyres have up and down movementCan anyone tell me what this is?

willitrain
20th September 2011, 02:19 PM
Hi there,
I've just had my 2005 Vectra CD serviced and the bloke told me I need to replace the tyres as they are no longer road worthy. I'm not really sure what I should go for and don't want to spend a fortune if I can avoid it - so what would you recommend?
Thanks for any tips or advice.
Cheers
Will

SYDPAT
20th September 2011, 02:57 PM
i dont know how much kilometers you want to extract from your new tyre. if you want to use for 10K and sell it then go for cheap ones that will come for $ 85 -110 from the regular unbranded tyre supplier such as Bobjane etc but if you want to good milage tyre then i would sincerly recomends you to go for Yakohama it will cost your around $ 135-155 each ( shop around ) and ask for speed rating 'V' as they are much silent tyre comparing with 'H'.

Yakohama will give you atleast 40K easily comparing with 20K by other providors. but i leave others to give thier views too.

JohnBu
20th September 2011, 03:31 PM
I've never had good mileage out of Yokohama.

Good tyres, but generally wear fast, but things could have changed recently.

My tip. Great tyre at reasonable price is the Bridgestone Potenza Re002.

I'd be disappointed if I got less than 50k out of any set of tyres... FWD Turbo cars included.

Nurb608
20th September 2011, 06:41 PM
Just had a wheel alignment & balance done. but something on the invoice doesnt make sense.....

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Suspension travel? :p

Sorry mate, never heard of such a comment!

JohnBu
21st September 2011, 11:35 AM

very odd too..

maybe they are use to these type of suspension packages..http://www.genepuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mans-Feet-Fail-To-Stop-Brakeless-Car.jpg

:D

poita
21st September 2011, 11:38 AM
Suspension travel? :p

Sorry mate, never heard of such a comment!

hahaha exactly what i thought when i read it!

hazrd
21st September 2011, 01:11 PM
Meh, ill just replace them. they need to be done sooner or later anyway

J
21st September 2011, 03:51 PM

hazrd: Perhaps try to talk to them and find out what they mean...? Other than that, I have no idea...worn out shock absorbers maybe...?

JohnBu
21st September 2011, 04:13 PM
Meh, ill just replace them. they need to be done sooner or later anyway

What you looking at getting?

I'll need some new tyres for my Astra soon.

hazrd
21st September 2011, 04:37 PM
What you looking at getting?

I'll need some new tyres for my Astra soon.

waiting on a shipping quote from tirerack for 2x ku31's @ US$103 each

JohnBu
21st September 2011, 06:32 PM
What size?

The Ku31s are pretty cheap here, have you got a quote from Option1?

hazrd
21st September 2011, 06:44 PM
What size?

The Ku31s are pretty cheap here, have you got a quote from Option1?

225/45/17

Option 1 doesnt show them on their website. I found a tyre place in Syd that can do them for $150ea but shipping was $65 so $365 so its a $165 saving already in comparison to tirerack (as long as the shipping isnt $100+ ) and fitting wont be much ($10ea at MSWT)

JohnBu
21st September 2011, 07:06 PM
I think Option1 are having a free shipping month.

They can supply most sizes, even if not on the website.

I got a quote for 4 17inch tyres from Tirerack and it was USD$280 for shipping, making it not viable except for wheels and high end tyres.

hazrd
22nd September 2011, 09:00 AM
Well John you can start doing the I told you so dance. Just heard back from tire rack.

Total price for the two kumhos including shipping.

$458 :facepalm:

Sent O1G an email last night so will see what they say. Otherwise ill go see that guy in Sydney as I may be up that way in a week or so

JohnBu
22nd September 2011, 10:05 AM
Is that dance anything like this?

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1236681958_hammer-time.gif

As the KU31 isn't that expensive, shipping will be a larger portion of the cost to get it to you.

I know that there are some places in VIC that does Kumho cheap, but the name escapes me at the moment! haha

Otherwise, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-225-45-17-KUMHO-KU31-TYRES-MAZDA-SUBARU-BMW-LEXUS-/230675409900?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b5536bec

$140 each + $45 shipping = $325, plus say $30 for fitting.

$355 all up. Cheap, but not that cheap.

Give Ricky @ Advanced Tyres in Richmond a call and see if they have any specials on 225/45/17s. I buy most of my tyres from there.

At the moment Advanced Tyres have nothing decent on ebay in 225/45R17s, but call them up. If you pay cash, they will supply & fit the tyres for the same ebay advertised price.

I remember they had Re001a's on special last time for $200, which IMO worth the extra $45 over the KU31s.

If you want, I can give them a call for you.

If you do go there, make a booking around lunchtime and I'll have lunch with you.

JohnBu
22nd September 2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced tyres. Same place I got my 215/45R17 Re001a for $180 fitted!!

hazrd
22nd September 2011, 01:18 PM
The dance I was thinking about was actually this one :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMk5GWvlks

I will speak with the chief financial advisor Jen, and see what budget she wants to put together for them and let you know.

JohnBu
22nd September 2011, 01:50 PM
Scrubs' Elliot has some funky moves going on... I always found her pretty hot! haha

Let me know..

hazrd
22nd September 2011, 11:49 PM
on the note of O1G..

225/45x17 KU31 94 Y $201each
Freight = PAIR $41 SET $77

Regards,

Storm Jury
Tyre Manager

Option 1 Garage

:yikes: what a rip!

03srit
23rd September 2011, 03:58 AM
on the note of O1G..

:yikes: what a rip!

When i asked about tyres for my 17's he told me I'm better off buying KU36 because they can source it cheaper than the KU31s

J
28th September 2011, 09:27 AM
Ozzytyres have just launched their online store, with free shipping and I think free installation kit too, that is supposedly worth up to $200, for a limited time. Perhaps it is worth checking out:
http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/

Other than that, perhaps try Tempe Tyres as well. The last time I've checked, they were doing KU31's in 205/45R17 or 215/40R17 for only $125 each:
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/pages.asp?ID=Contact+Us

poita
28th September 2011, 10:04 AM
St George Tyres online have always been good for me.

They have an eBay store

Sent from Diagon Alley

hazrd
28th September 2011, 10:41 AM
Question

205/45's on the front, and 205/55's on the back..... bad??

JohnBu
28th September 2011, 11:20 AM
not ideal...

the difference between 205*0.45 and 205*0.55 is pretty big!!!

you're looking at over 4cm difference in diameter.

guy 27
28th September 2011, 11:21 AM
205/45's on the front, and 205/55's on the back..... bad??

not ideal. your tc/abs system may go bonkers due to the fact that the outer diameter of the tyres is different thus it thinks 2 wheels are constantly spinning/slipping.

hazrd
28th September 2011, 01:00 PM
Fair enough.

Finally made my indecisive mind up. Based on my budget and factoring costs from interstate etc .. going to the guys at Advance Tyres in Richmond for a couple of Goodyear Eagle F1s on the polo (on special 139ea) and a couple of KU31s for the Astra (160ea)

.: Sent from far far away :.

JohnBu
28th September 2011, 01:59 PM
Harzd... seems like a reasonable deal, esp on the F1s..

You owe me lunch for the tip! haha

J
29th September 2011, 12:00 PM
There is also a $100 "on the spot" cash back deal from Bob Jane when one purchases 4 new Bridgestone, Michelin, or Yokohama tyres. Tyres must be fitted by close of business tomorrow: see www.bobjane.com.au (http://www.bobjane.com.au).

Just wanna flag this for those of us here who may be finding the extra cost of these tyres hard to justify (like me!), and can get to a store that has their required tyres in stock, some time today or tomorrow...

Nurb608
3rd October 2011, 07:32 PM
OK, sick of looking at good tyres only to be let down by their speed rating :(

Need 225/40/18 93Y, good tyres only, not worried about price really but they need to perform and last so no motorsport tyres :p

guy 27
3rd October 2011, 07:43 PM
93Y

92Y not good enough?

can't find anything 93Y in your size :S

Nurb608
3rd October 2011, 08:27 PM
92Y not good enough?

can't find anything 93Y in your size :S

Yeah, has to be 93Y, not just for insurance and roadworthy, but because tyres are payed for under the lease plan, they won't sign off on anything other than a correct tyre :( It's an absolute pain!

guy 27
3rd October 2011, 08:36 PM
what about going to 235 40 18?
only 1.3% difference so within legal limits and there are tyres that meet your requirements.

Nurb608
3rd October 2011, 08:45 PM
what about going to 235 40 18?
only 1.3% difference so within legal limits and there are tyres that meet your requirements.

I run them as race tyres and to be honest, prefer the 225's for turn in feel. Also rub on the back end of my car slightly due to the offset.

guy 27
3rd October 2011, 08:56 PM
further digging then.

PIRELLI P-ZERO ROSSO
Bridgestone Potenza
and i think Toyo Proxes T1r but not 100% sure on these.

they should all be in your size in a 93Y.

Nurb608
3rd October 2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I thought the pirelli too, but they are 92's on their site :(

I'll check the others

poita
3rd October 2011, 09:16 PM
Mr Google tells me Michellin PS2's

nick_sixx
4th October 2011, 02:17 AM
Anyone ever heard of/used:

Avation (probably a typo from an ebay seller)/Ovation?

Altenzo?

I can get a set of 4 for $300 which is obviously great value, even if they are completely shit.They come fitted on a set of VXR wheels I am looking at. Just wondering if i should even bother using them on the road?

Nurb608
4th October 2011, 10:34 AM
Michelin dont list 225/40/18 93Y's on their aussie website :(

J
4th October 2011, 01:52 PM
Michelin dont list 225/40/18 93Y's on their aussie website :(

Neither do Bridgestone RE002 or S001, nor Kumho KU39 on their respective web sites...all 92 load rating.

Sorry Nurb608, but it seems to me like trying to find a needle in the haystack!

Anyone ever heard of/used:

Avation (probably a typo from an ebay seller)/Ovation?

Altenzo?

I can get a set of 4 for $300 which is obviously great value, even if they are completely shit.They come fitted on a set of VXR wheels I am looking at. Just wondering if i should even bother using them on the road?

nick_sixx: Obviously we all have different priorities, and I am not sure what your current wheel and tyre sizes are, but I won't be surprised if the VXR wheels + Ovation tyres, even if the tyres are new, would perform WORSE than your current setup, especially if we compare the Ovations to back when your current tyres were newer.

Google "ovation tyre test", "budget tyre test" etc. and see what you get. Or these articles:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Premium-VS-Budget-Tyres-Real-World-Performance.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

The second article talks about how the Wanli / Triangle / Linglong-equipped VW Golf in their wet braking test, was still travelling at almost 45km/h at the same point where the Continental-equipped Golf stopped!

Also, google "Wheels tyre test 2008" and note its introductory paragraphs, as well as its summary after Test 7.

[Incidentally, www.tyrereviews.co.uk (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk) does not even bother to create a section for people to comment on Ovation tyres, which may be saying something...]

Basically, with budget tyres, they may be reasonably quiet and be reasonably long lasting, but that's about it. Ever wonder why the seller is so keen to get rid of them? No offence to the seller (especially if he/she is a member here), but my guess is PERHAPS because he/she could not afford to put better replacement tyres on the VXR wheel size (indeed, I cannot), and would rather say goodbye to the VXR rims and spend another say $200 on top of the $300 he/she'll be getting, in order to go back to better tyres on smaller wheels, than his/her current setup. And $300 to me is quite a good deal for VXR rims. The fact that he/she is willing to let them go at that low a price so that he/she may sell them sooner, MAY indicate how desperate he/she is wanting to rid him/herself of running on these Ovations.

Look, bigger wheels in general look better, no contest. And who would check out the tyres on people's cars anyway (actually, I do, but I am weird like that!)? There will also be times when we really, really cannot afford quality tyres, and I would not hesitate to say that I did that once, and I even said to myself that all I had to do, is to drive within the limits of the cheaper (not even cheap!) tyres that I had. But the next time you are heading downhill in pouring rain, and someone cut in in front of you so that he/she can turn into the next side street 10 metres away, would you rather that you are running on, for example:
A) 16 inch used alloys @ say $200, with new quality tyres @ say $180 each i.e. $920, OR
B) VXR used alloys @ $300, with a set of Ovation tyres @ $300 i.e. $600 that would look WAY better, but with potentially greater stopping distance of a FEW car lengths?

Obviously, the best option for anyone in your situation with the used VXR rims available at that price, would be C) VXR alloys with new quality tyres, because you get both form AND function. But that could cost a good $800 more than even option A). Having said that, even if option C) is say $1,000 more than option B), is a single injury/life (if not multiple injuries/lives) worth more than 3.3 cents every km (assuming tyre life of only 30,000km)?

Of course, there are still other options for you. For instance, you can always buy the rims now, and not fit them until you can afford quality tyres in that new size. Or you can take advantage of the special deals every now and then eg. Bob Jane currently offering no deposit, no interest, no repayments until 2013 (but do read the fineprint!). At the end of the day, it is your car, your wheels, your tyres, your call. And of course, you want your car to look good and stand out etc. But I just want to offer you my 2.2 cents to help you make a more informed decision, that's all!

[As for me, I am just thankful that I have managed to get a set of 205/45R17 RE002's fitted at only $875 for the set including wheel alignment. This may still sound expensive, but I see it as cheap insurance for the next few years.]

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather more people out there get offended, than potentially getting injured!

hazrd
4th October 2011, 01:58 PM
Rory
just go with whatever you have on there now.... seems like the easiest option lol

2002_XC
4th October 2011, 02:34 PM
Don't think he can get those ones under the lease iirc

hazrd
4th October 2011, 02:36 PM
:facepalm:

//drawing board

what a pita!!!

2002_XC
4th October 2011, 02:41 PM
... i could be wrong though

JohnBu
4th October 2011, 02:42 PM
Don't think he can get those ones under the lease iirc

Has he checked the load rating of the Ovations? hahaha

gman
4th October 2011, 03:12 PM
Pirelli P-Zero's and Yokohama AVS 103's are the top picks for 225/40/18 93Y ..

There's the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

nick_sixx
4th October 2011, 04:33 PM
Neither do Bridgestone RE002 or S001, nor Kumho KU39 on their respective web sites...all 92 load rating.

Sorry Nurb608, but it seems to me like trying to find a needle in the haystack!

nick_sixx: Obviously we all have different priorities, and I am not sure what your current wheel and tyre sizes are, but I won't be surprised if the VXR wheels + Ovation tyres, even if the tyres are new, would perform WORSE than your current setup, especially if we compare the Ovations to back when your current tyres were newer.

Google "ovation tyre test", "budget tyre test" etc. and see what you get. Or these articles:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Premium-VS-Budget-Tyres-Real-World-Performance.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

The second article talks about how the Wanli / Triangle / Linglong-equipped VW Golf in their wet braking test, was still travelling at almost 45km/h at the same point where the Continental-equipped Golf stopped!

Also, google "Wheels tyre test 2008" and note its introductory paragraphs, as well as its summary after Test 7.

[Incidentally, www.tyrereviews.co.uk (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk) does not even bother to create a section for people to comment on Ovation tyres, which may be saying something...]

Basically, with budget tyres, they may be reasonably quiet and be reasonably long lasting, but that's about it. Ever wonder why the seller is so keen to get rid of them? No offence to the seller (especially if he/she is a member here), but my guess is PERHAPS because he/she could not afford to put better replacement tyres on the VXR wheel size (indeed, I cannot), and would rather say goodbye to the VXR rims and spend another say $200 on top of the $300 he/she'll be getting, in order to go back to better tyres on smaller wheels, than his/her current setup. And $300 to me is quite a good deal for VXR rims. The fact that he/she is willing to let them go at that low a price so that he/she may sell them sooner, MAY indicate how desperate he/she is wanting to rid him/herself of running on these Ovations.

Look, bigger wheels in general look better, no contest. And who would check out the tyres on people's cars anyway (actually, I do, but I am weird like that!)? There will also be times when we really, really cannot afford quality tyres, and I would not hesitate to say that I did that once, and I even said to myself that all I had to do, is to drive within the limits of the cheaper (not even cheap!) tyres that I had. But the next time you are heading downhill in pouring rain, and someone cut in in front of you so that he/she can turn into the next side street 10 metres away, would you rather that you are running on, for example:
A) 16 inch used alloys @ say $200, with new quality tyres @ say $180 each i.e. $920, OR
B) VXR used alloys @ $300, with a set of Ovation tyres @ $300 i.e. $600 that would look WAY better, but with potentially greater stopping distance of a FEW car lengths?

Obviously, the best option for anyone in your situation with the used VXR rims available at that price, would be C) VXR alloys with new quality tyres, because you get both form AND function. But that could cost a good $800 more than even option A). Having said that, even if option C) is say $1,000 more than option B), is a single injury/life (if not multiple injuries/lives) worth more than 3.3 cents every km (assuming tyre life of only 30,000km)?

Of course, there are still other options for you. For instance, you can always buy the rims now, and not fit them until you can afford quality tyres in that new size. Or you can take advantage of the special deals every now and then eg. Bob Jane currently offering no deposit, no interest, no repayments until 2013 (but do read the fineprint!). At the end of the day, it is your car, your wheels, your tyres, your call. And of course, you want your car to look good and stand out etc. But I just want to offer you my 2.2 cents to help you make a more informed decision, that's all!

[As for me, I am just thankful that I have managed to get a set of 205/45R17 RE002's fitted at only $875 for the set including wheel alignment. This may still sound expensive, but I see it as cheap insurance for the next few years.]

Sorry for the long post, but I'd rather more people out there get offended, than potentially getting injured!

The tyres on my current wheels are quite good (potenza on the rear, azenis on the front), so I would probably just use these. Or I was thinking of just buying the wheels ($700) with the tyres ($300) and using the cheapies on the rear only.

gman
4th October 2011, 05:54 PM
I have used the RT-615 Azenis on my Astra. They are a good high performance tyre for sure, but wrong load rating in the 225/40/18 of 92W

Nurb608
4th October 2011, 06:18 PM
Pirelli P-Zero's and Yokohama AVS 103's are the top picks for 225/40/18 93Y ..

There's the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo

Got any aussie links for the 93Y's, couldn't find any.

Adz, yeah I can get the ones that are currently on it as they are correct, but was hoping for some choice lol.

gman
4th October 2011, 08:19 PM
Yokohama only lists a 91Y but apparently they have a 93Y available (its on a stock sheet apparently)...

Can believe the AD08 is an 88W in the 225/40/18!!!! My 225/45/17's are a 91W...

Its looking more and more like what you have, Pirelli or the Hankook's if you can't find a Yokohama in the right load rating

J
5th October 2011, 10:25 AM
The tyres on my current wheels are quite good (potenza on the rear, azenis on the front), so I would probably just use these. Or I was thinking of just buying the wheels ($700) with the tyres ($300) and using the cheapies on the rear only.

nick_sixx: Now that we know of your current set up, I can assure you that the Ovation will be a huge step off in performance.

And as for using cheapies at the rear, have a look at this:
http://theautoprophet.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-tires-on-rear.html
or Google "best tyres rear" and see what you get...!

lonewolf1983
5th October 2011, 10:47 AM
if you cant afford to put decent tyres on new rims, you shouldnt be buying new rims!
Personally i'd love to go to 18's for looks and for brake room, but the unavailability of decent r-comp rubber in the sizes for the astra means i'll likely stay at 17's!