PDA

View Full Version : Mounting number plates

Bloodnok
2nd June 2011, 04:15 PM
My Vectra B (in common with most European cars) expects a number plate to have two mounting holes in the middle to accept the screws which hold it onto the car. A previous owner of my car (presumably the one to register the car in Queensland) has "kindly" drilled holes in the plate in the appropriate place to work with this mounting.

I (now) understand that Queensland Transport don't take kindly to people drilling holes in "their" plates in this way. In the (currently hypothetical) situation that I were to need to unregister the car (e.g. moving interstate, or changing plates for other reasons), I understand I am expected to return the current plates. What are they likely to say about the two holes that have been drilled slap bang in the middle of each plate?

A random related Q - is a QLD "Euro Plate" intended to be mounted in this typical European fashion, or is it just a style thing, and you still need an adapter between the vehicle and the plate?

guy 27
2nd June 2011, 04:21 PM
What are they likely to say about the two holes that have been drilled slap bang in the middle of each plate?

they won't say a thing. they just melt them down again to make new ones.

Daisy
2nd June 2011, 04:22 PM

adam_92
2nd June 2011, 04:27 PM
on both my cars in australia iv just drilled the bumper to fit the predrilled ADAM 92 plates but make sure you drill them so when you put stock plates back on to sell it that the holes will be covered by the plate

poita
2nd June 2011, 04:40 PM
have drilled both sets of mine for the calibra, have never had anything said

also painted the screw heads the same colour as that part of the plate too ;)

dieselhead
3rd June 2011, 07:36 AM
Double sticky 3M outdoor grade tape is best way to mount plates imo. Have been doing it for years and never had an issue. To remove the plate simply slide some fishing line behind the plate to cut the tape! No drilling and less worries your plates get stolen-not easy to remove them in a hurry :)

hazrd
3rd June 2011, 05:10 PM
drilled holes in the astra bumper
drilled holes in both my calibra bumpers
didnt have to drill holes in the VW, however, when it was brand new, there was no holes AT all in the back bumper so they had to be drilled anyway :crazy:

Dahlia
3rd June 2011, 05:49 PM
I always wondered why my number plates were drilled in the middle. I just thought the prev owner was a dickhead haha.

benzino
6th June 2011, 06:24 PM
I drilled the plate.

I don't think I would be able to drill into the car...
So fk the RTA if they complain

cdti
11th June 2011, 09:12 PM
Our car has plastic adapters that have a spot to screw the plates to, and just an array of plastic in the middle that you screw to the original mounting locations. Looks a lot neater than screws in the middle of the plates. Have a look at Supercheap, I'm sure they would sell something simple like that.

Dahlia
11th June 2011, 09:17 PM
Our car has plastic adapters that have a spot to screw the plates to, and just an array of plastic in the middle that you screw to the original mounting locations. Looks a lot neater than screws in the middle of the plates. Have a look at Supercheap, I'm sure they would sell something simple like that.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into that as I'm getting new plates in the next few weeks and I really don't want to have to drill into the plate and I don't really want to drill new holes into the car.