PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen chip - repair, replace, leave?

Bloodnok
31st May 2011, 03:48 PM
I got a chip in my windscreen this morning. Small, not near the edge, and on the passenger side - so repairable. But should I? Is it better to get the entire screen replaced? Or is it not necessary to repair it - just leave it alone?

JohnBu
31st May 2011, 04:18 PM
well- 100% of respondants have recommended to ignore it ;)

I've got free windscreen replacements with Shannons Insurance. I'm going to replace it with a Geniune Holden one... well, one of these days when I can be bothered.

Nurb608
31st May 2011, 04:38 PM
I replaced my whole screen as I have the same cover as John and didn't really want to risk it on the track.

Hoss
31st May 2011, 05:15 PM
I had a chip on my daughter's Nissan repaired by O'Brien Glass who did a good job. You can barely see the chip now. Worth repairing in case it starts to crack further. Your insurance may pay for the cost of any repair.

adam_92
31st May 2011, 05:26 PM
I had a chip on my daughter's Nissan repaired by O'Brien Glass who did a good job. You can barely see the chip now. Worth repairing in case it starts to crack further. Your insurance may pay for the cost of any repair.

repair it at least. my brothers hilux had a tiny chip. smaller than a 5c coin and now its spread. around 6 months later its now the size of a 10c roughly and splintering/cracking further out. if he repaired it when it hapened it would have been fixed and all sorted. now because he ignored it he is up for a whole new screen

DirtyHarry
31st May 2011, 06:32 PM
repair it, but dont go with obrien (unless covered by insurance). obrien is a rip off and theyll want to charge you $150 plus.
get it repaired from someone else and youll pay half the price (eg novus or even the smaller windscreen repairers).

guy 27
31st May 2011, 06:56 PM
If its not in the line of sight of driver than its nothing to worry about legally.

I would ignore it until it either cracks or really annoys you. In that case if insurance will cover it than go that route. if they don't contact me.

Bloodnok
31st May 2011, 07:57 PM
If its not in the line of sight of driver than its nothing to worry about legally.

Nope, passenger side.

I would ignore it until it either cracks or really annoys you. In that case if insurance will cover it than go that route. if they don't contact me.

I do have glass cover, but they are recommending I don't use it for a mere chip, in case I break the screen in the next 9 months (apparently you can only use it once per renewal).

benzino
1st June 2011, 11:30 PM
i have two bullseyes... had them for over 2 years
no spreading or further cracking, even driving on dirt roads with loads of corrugations (sp?)

although with my previous car, i got obrien to repair a bullseye in line of sight and it looked NO different afterwards... biggest waste of money