PDA

View Full Version : Fuels

ultim8DTM5
9th November 2004, 05:49 PM
Shamelessly flogged from performanceforums.com:

"A number of our car club members are chemist's at Esso and Mobil. They have been redesigning the refineries in Newcastle and Victoria to be able to produce both 101RON and the new Green Sulphur free Diesel fuels. 101RON is available in Europe and Nth America. It should be coming in the near future as the LRP pumps have been freed up for it now. I think they might wait for lower fuel prices or until we have become used to the higher prices because release of 101 at $1.25 per litre might scare people off."

Original thread here (http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67182547)

Well then, I think bowsers will look like this:
LRP = turfed
92RON Unleaded = turfed perhaps
95RON Premium = Unleaded
98RON Boutiques = Premium
101RON Newies = Boutiques

Makes things interesting doesn't it? I don't think it will go ahead though our market is too small :( BTW if anyone wants to know where to get street legal 110RON I can point you in the right direction :D

imad4u
9th November 2004, 08:10 PM
there is a place in belmore that sell's 110 ron *racing fuel* as they call it out of the pump its only $3.85 per litre :shock:

Degen-Astra
9th November 2004, 08:21 PM
I was talking to Glenn about getting some 102 fuel, i think he said it was about $60 for 20lts. ($3 a litre for those who are lazy to work it out!) :wink:

ultim8DTM5
9th November 2004, 08:23 PM
Might be the same I'm thinking of VP Fuels Motorsport 103 except its actually 107.5RON and I didn't know it was available from the pump! VP Motorsport 103 can be bought from Hume Performance Unit 1B El Toro Estate Business Park Homepride Ave Warwick Farm, and 20L will cost you about $110.00 incl GST ($5.50/L in 2002)

I wonder what the stuff you're thinking of is? Bloody cheap and on the pump!!!

VP Fuels can be contacted on (02) 9821 1128, ask for John if your interested hahah.

FYI, AVGAS was declared illegal for street use on the 1st January 2002, as it had a lead content of over 30%ppv. Running AVGAS would mean changing your cat converter every 1000kms, so high is the lead content.

Also ELF 124 is also illegal it is purely Racing Fuel and not street legal as best as I can find out at present. Get caught with it in your car on the street and cop the fine, $110,000.00 for the user and $500,000.00 to the supplier. ELF 124 was about $8/l in 2002.

Interesting reading:

VP Fuels mentioned to me about government regulation to lower PULP octane to 89 - 91 by 2005. The web site he said it was on is www.ea.gov.au but I couldn't find anything about it, maybe you guys might have better luck. He says Motorsport 103 was used at the Summernats in Horsepower Heroes (02) recently. Maybe this is getting off the track a bit, the original question asked was Synergy or Optimax and we have already established the answer as neither, that BP Ultimate is the best. The suggestion is, Ultimate is straight from the pump @ 98, the others are blended with differrent %'s of Ethanol etc, to get their octane rating.

The testing was to analyse the Density, Benzine content, Sulphur content, Distillation, Driveability index, Copper Corrosion, Final Boiling Point etc. Will give some idea and compare to regular ULP.

MY OCTANE TESTS:

BP Ultimate 98 Tested at 98.8

Mobil Synergy 8000 Tested at 98.5

Shell Optimax Tested at 98.3

Both BP and Mobil have less than 0.4% Benzine and Sulphur content and falls well below the max driveability index and Shell has over 3.0% and exceeds the max allowable index and if it stays as is will be illegal when the driveability index is legislated later this year.

Results: (short form)

SHELL OPTIMAX
Under it's present formulation, it will not pass the drivability index set down by the EPA for fossil fuels, that will become law sometime in 2003 (1 July) at a guess and therefore will be illegal to sell. Also, it contains over 4% Benzine & Sulphur and tested at 98.3 octane (RON). So if you want to breath all of this SH1T go for it, we will all come and visit you in La La Land.
For Optimax to meet the drivability index, the company must spend MULTI MEGA MILLIONS of DOLLARS on their refinery to allow them to crack LOW SULPHUR crude oils.

MOBIL SYNERGY 8000
Contains less than 0.4% Benzine & Sulphur, tested at 98.5 octane (RON) and complies with the drivability index NOW!! as is. A much cleaner, more environmentally friendly fossil fuel.

BP ULTIMATE
Contains similar quantities of Benzine & Sulphur to Mobil and tested at 98.8 octane (RON) and also complies.
GETS MY VOTE as NUMBER1.

"G" EVOLUTION
After some lengthy discussion and research, this fuel from Traffigura compares favourably with both BP Ultimate & MOBIL Synergy 8000 in all aspects. What you must decide is this, Evolution is not manufacture here, it is produced in Singapore and transported here via tanker and stored in Melbourne.

As for Gemini's using Optimax, Why not? they're both sh1t.
Works for me!!!

But on the other hand, if they were using REAL high octane fuel, just maybe they might get some benefit from it, after all, with all the crap they are putting in ordinary ULP these days, who would be silly enough to use anything else.

What does benzine and sulphur contents mean? The Benzine & Sulphur content has zilch to do with performance, it has everything to do with the AIR we have to breath after the fossil fuel is burnt in our cars.

This is three years old, yet disputes what I first posted! Came from an industrial chemist though so more credible.

AstraT20
9th November 2004, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post....

I dont believe that Mobil will release this fuel. At the moment, MOBIL are very unsure of there situation in Australia and are unsure if they are even going to stey here. They are not investing any money into there sites because of this.

CALTEX 98RON is also available at some Sydney stores now aswell...

ultim8DTM5
9th November 2004, 08:49 PM
Welcome.

I agree the more I think about it, the more dubious it sounds!

Anonymous
9th November 2004, 08:59 PM
I was talking to Glenn about getting some 102 fuel, i think he said it was about $60 for 20lts. ($3 a litre for those who are lazy to work it out!) :wink:

Thats 104 Octane Nick :)
Shell Racing 60 is around $60-$70 for 20lt Drum, Available from some Shell Servos.

As for Pump Fuel, As I've said Before. I think BP Ultimate is the Best, Optimax is Crap. Ampol Gold/Caltex Vortex is also Good.

break
9th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Whats funny... is kids will pump this shit into thier car and brag about big performance increases... but the thing is your car MUST be tuned for the fuel to make any advantage out of it.

Modern cars with knock sensors will produce a bit more on good fuel... but still nothing like a car properly tuned to a certain octane.

Anonymous
9th November 2004, 09:30 PM
should equate to a power increase of no more then 5kw.

A little expensive though!

I generally fill up with caltex premium... reason being it's only around the block from my house, and I heard it's a much "cleaner" fuel than the questionable optimax.

I would love for a bp servo be located near my house (concord). I'd surely fill up with it. 8)

However, I'd love to see some dyno sheets with regards to the difference this 110ron fuel will make. At the moment, it seems that paying so much more for only a minor spike is ridiculous. After driving around for a week, the extra money you spend on this fuel, you could have saved for f.i or a better car!

Those that seek performance gains from fuel are disillusioning themselves. The fact of the matter is that we each own cars built for different reasons. The turbo, sri owners have got the natural advantage. For those like me owning 1.8's, and barina owners with 1.4l cars, if you want more kw, get a car with better factory performance.

At the end of the day, its a question of rationality. Who dares to spend extra money on the expensive fuel, when they can finance a faster car :P :P

ultim8DTM5
9th November 2004, 09:44 PM
and barina owners with 1.4l cars, if you want more kw, get a car with better factory performance.

Have you seen our compression ratio? :shock:

Break is correct, performance increases would be only result in what the motor is already capable of, only 'retarded' somewhat by the lower octane. So you're not gaining anything, just when you drive with <95RON PULP you're losing out :)

AstraT20
9th November 2004, 09:46 PM
If you do get any power from it, its probably because of the extra detergents in the fuel cleaning your injectors!

Anonymous
9th November 2004, 09:49 PM
I don't think it matters much at the end of the day.

I think with these kind of cars (the 1.8 and 1.4), you either sell and buy a sri model, OR you tear them apart, use the chassis, shell and build them up with hardcore racing in mind.

ultim8DTM5
9th November 2004, 09:57 PM
Thought it would enlighten some people anyhoo :oops:

Anonymous
9th November 2004, 10:10 PM
nah, its good info to know man 8)

as break said though, the kids will start bragging, so might as well bring them down to earth now. :P

shaohaok
10th November 2004, 12:04 AM
i hope they introduce 101ron fuel soon. coz i really wanna run my 13.5:1 compression pistons.

ultim8DTM5
10th November 2004, 05:37 PM
13.5:1? Holy crap you're nuts! Thats almost nuclear :shock:

rjastra
12th November 2004, 06:55 AM
LRP is on teh way out...
What it does mean is that 95RON PULP becomes a default "middle octane" fuel.

At the local BP you now get ULP, 95 RON and Ultimate (98).
It means that all us Astra SRi owners now have easy access to 95RON at a price that is at least 5c/l cheaper than the unneccessary 98RON. Win Win :)

As for 101 RON.... i think it's just a "rumour". NO car currently sold anywhere in the world requires it. They would be better off making 95/98ROn fuel at a cheaper price.

Pharkus
12th November 2004, 09:06 AM
Done four tanks of BP Ultimate now, and yes sometimes was paying like $1.15 for it, but anyhoo, I was filling up on Optimax and looking at the results there's not much difference really.

shaohaok
12th November 2004, 02:01 PM
LRP is on teh way out...
What it does mean is that 95RON PULP becomes a default "middle octane" fuel.

At the local BP you now get ULP, 95 RON and Ultimate (98).
It means that all us Astra SRi owners now have easy access to 95RON at a price that is at least 5c/l cheaper than the unneccessary 98RON. Win Win :)

As for 101 RON.... i think it's just a "rumour". NO car currently sold anywhere in the world requires it. They would be better off making 95/98ROn fuel at a cheaper price.

i think there are some specials in japan that require that sort of fuel i remember reading somewhere a certain special WRX that used that sort of fuel. cant't remember maybe someone else does?

shaohaok
12th November 2004, 02:02 PM
13.5:1? Holy crap you're nuts! Thats almost nuclear :shock:

no i'm not! :D those are the TRD pistons i've been meaning to get along with my 9000rpm.
stock pistons run about 11.0 or 11.5:1