PDA

View Full Version : Ps3

JohnBu
26th May 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking of getting a PS3.

Not for playing games, but as a media centre.

I need another Blu-ray player anyway, so I thought I may as well get a PS3 to double as a medica centre.

In the past the PS3 was a decent media centre- for it's time 5 years ago.

What about today with the new PS3s... are they still ok as a media centre?

Does it play MkV, H.256 etc.. whatever I can throw at it..?

Any limitations as a media centre?

I can't really be bothered with a HTPC as I have a PVR already..

gmonkey
26th May 2011, 10:24 AM
dont think it can play a lot of formats i ussually have to convert all myn to mpeg or avi... which can be annoying

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

poita
26th May 2011, 10:44 AM
Will do all of the above no worries. I have mine setup that way

Well until Cinavia......... It's stops the audio from being played from ripped/burnt/pirated movies tv shows or music.

I use my D-Link Boxee Box for all of my media streaming now. So much easier to use and setup

JohnBu
27th May 2011, 08:21 AM
hmmm Cinavia, would that require an internet connection?

If I both a PS3 slim, or whatever the current version is... would it play MkV & H.256 out of the box?

god damn it, all I want is a blu-ray player that plays any file I can throw at it..

I think I may have to convert my P4 into a HTPC by adding a blu-ray DVD and getting a new video card...

MAD-16V
27th May 2011, 10:54 AM
Pretty sure it wont play anything in an .mkv container ( I know when I had my ps3 it wouldn't ) - You can run streaming programs ( tversity - ps3mediaserver ) from a pc and it will transcode the mkv into something that the ps3 will read - but this means having two devices on instead of just the one.

Cinavia is internally monitored via the ps3s system software - So it works online and offline.

Do you mean h.264? - as long as it is in the correct container the ps3 will play it ( i.e .mp4 )

Honestly the $99 sonic blu ray players that JB Hi Fi are selling will play more files than the ps3 will.

JohnBu
27th May 2011, 01:08 PM
ooops.. my bad h.264

The PS3 sounded like a great solution..

Maybe a HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive and VLC is the way to go..

MAD-16V
27th May 2011, 01:13 PM
Use MPC-HC instead of vlc it is 1000% better.

HTPC will always be better!

Dahlia
27th May 2011, 02:42 PM
Don't convert anything. The PS3 is capable of playing ANY video format... FOR FREE.
Download PS3 Media Sever! It converts files on the fly therefor allowing the PS3 to play anything.
This great freeware (mac/windows/linux) also works for Xbox 360.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

Silver Surfer
27th May 2011, 06:37 PM
Don't convert anything. The PS3 is capable of playing ANY video format... FOR FREE.
Download PS3 Media Sever! It converts files on the fly therefor allowing the PS3 to play anything.

Looks good Cheers Dahlia

Dahlia
27th May 2011, 07:22 PM
Looks good Cheers Dahlia
No worries mate. I've been using this for about 2-3 years now and works wonderfully. From my ps3 I can view all my tv shows and movies (and music but I don't use it for that).

ChrisMaz
30th May 2011, 05:36 PM

+1

Still never use the PS3 for games though.

Dahlia
4th June 2011, 03:32 PM
Still never use the PS3 for games though.
You an xbox man?