PDA

View Full Version : PS3 not outputting Dolby Digital

BEK-46P
21st May 2011, 09:07 PM
Having some issues with the PS3 not outputting Dolby Digital/DTS on DVDs.

Gear is connected as follows:

PS3 > HDMI > TV > HDMI > Receiver

When I go into the PS3 Sound Settings, I'm selecting HDMI with automatic settings, yet it only lists Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1/48 kHz on the 'Save Settings' page (no Dolby Digital/DTS seem to be indicated). Even though I've selected the DTS audio on the DVD, the receiver seems to be playing in only stereo or Pro Logic.

I tried manually selecting Dolby Digital/DTS in the PS3/HDMI settings, which results in NO AUDIO coming from the receiver at all!

Little help? It's driving me nuts!

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 09:31 PM
It should be:
PS3 > HDMI (and maybe optical depending on what you're doing) > Receiver > HDMI > TV

BEK-46P
21st May 2011, 09:39 PM
It should be:
PS3 > HDMI (and maybe optical depending on what you're doing) > Receiver > HDMI > TV

Why would you need an optical connecting PS3 and receiver? Wouldn't the TV carry through the digital signal?

poita
21st May 2011, 09:43 PM
you wont, hdmi will carry the sound

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 09:51 PM
Why would you need an optical connecting PS3 and receiver? Wouldn't the TV carry through the digital signal?

you wont, hdmi will carry the sound
You don't need optical, yes hdmi carries sound. I didn't say it was needed, I said "maybe depending on what you're doing". I use a optical cable because I have other devices connected to my receiver and I had to run it this way to have everything plugged in at the same time. My main point was the audio and video should go through the receiver before the tv.

BEK-46P
21st May 2011, 09:57 PM
Still not solving anything :idea:

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 10:02 PM
So you plugged the ps3 directly into the receiver... did you run the ps3 video/audio setup again? I know on my receiver I can turn Dolby on or off..

BEK-46P
21st May 2011, 10:05 PM
Don't have an optical cable to use right now. I was hoping to get a fix with the current connection.

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah that's what I mean, still using the hdmi, did you run the setup again? What receiver do you have?

poita
21st May 2011, 10:07 PM
what amp do you have? does it have hdmi in?

BEK-46P
21st May 2011, 10:12 PM
It's one of those 2-in-1 Blu-Ray/receivers. It has HDMI input (coming in from TV).

Silver Surfer
21st May 2011, 11:02 PM
You don't need optical, yes hdmi carries sound. I didn't say it was needed, I said "maybe depending on what you're doing". I use a optical cable because I have other devices connected to my receiver and I had to run it this way to have everything plugged in at the same time. My main point was the audio and video should go through the receiver before the tv.
I use optical to my receiver purely because my sony receiver isnt HDMI capable (old)
Ps3 via hdmi cable/samsung lcd tv for viewing AV (Games Movies). Ps3 via optical cable/sony dvd receiver Sound source for AV (Games Movies)
Optical cable rear TV into sony receiver for TV sound

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 11:04 PM
I use optical to my receiver purely because my sony receiver isnt HDMI capable (old)
Ps3 via hdmi cable/samsung lcd tv for viewing AV (Games Movies). Ps3 via optical cable/sony dvd receiver Sound source for AV (Games Movies)
Optical cable rear TV into sony receiver for TV sound
Basically the same deal as me....

Silver Surfer
21st May 2011, 11:17 PM
Having some issues with the PS3 not outputting Dolby Digital/DTS on DVDs.

When I go into the PS3 Sound Settings, I'm selecting HDMI with automatic settings, yet it only lists Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1/48 kHz on the 'Save Settings' page (no Dolby Digital/DTS seem to be indicated). Even though I've selected the DTS audio on the DVD, the receiver seems to be playing in only stereo or Pro Logic.

I tried manually selecting Dolby Digital/DTS in the PS3/HDMI settings, which results in NO AUDIO coming from the receiver at all!

Little help? It's driving me nuts!

Could be tv output setting isnt set to hdmi

Dahlia
21st May 2011, 11:29 PM
Could be tv output setting isn't set to hdmi
OR the ps3 is only finding the tv, therefor not letting you select Dolby (only stereo).

It must be hooked up..
PS3 > HDMI > Receiver > HDMI > TV
not

The ps3 needs to find the receiver to allow Dolby to work.
The way you have it hooked up, the tv cancels that out.
Also, I don't understand why you have a bluray player when you have a ps3.

BEK-46P
22nd May 2011, 12:06 AM
Like I said, the Blu-Ray player also doubles as a receiver. I don't really use it to play movies, just as an amp.

I'll give your idea a try and let you know, cheers.

Silver Surfer
22nd May 2011, 10:01 AM
Like I said, the Blu-Ray player also doubles as a receiver. I don't really use it to play movies, just as an amp.

I'll give your idea a try and let you know, cheers.
Its hard to know what the prob is without knowing exactly what system you have
Im not an audio/vis expert just happy to give an opinion that may assist you
Good luck with it!

dglewis80
22nd May 2011, 10:40 AM
OR the ps3 is only finding the tv, therefor not letting you select Dolby (only stereo).

It must be hooked up..
PS3 > HDMI > Receiver > HDMI > TV
not

The ps3 needs to find the receiver to allow Dolby to work.
The way you have it hooked up, the tv cancels that out.
Also, I don't understand why you have a bluray player when you have a ps3.

^^^ This! Dahlia is correct, as the PS3 is connected to the TV first all the PS3 can see is a stereo output from the TV. The PS3 won't look at what is beond the TV. (This goes for most HDMI units)
Go to the receiver first and you won't have any issues! :thumbs:

BEK-46P
22nd May 2011, 11:02 AM
OK, so I looked into Dahlia's proposed fix...

The Blu-Ray/receiver only has a single HDMI connection, which means I'll have to do:

PS3 > Optical > Receiver > HDMI > TV

Which sorta sux, since I don't have an optical cable on me right now.

My question is: with this connection, how then is the TV receiving a video signal from the PS3?

Silver Surfer
22nd May 2011, 11:31 AM
OK, so I looked into Dahlia's proposed fix...

The Blu-Ray/receiver only has a single HDMI connection, which means I'll have to do:

PS3 > Optical > Receiver > HDMI > TV

Which sorta sux, since I don't have an optical cable on me right now.

My question is: with this connection, how then is the TV receiving a video signal from the PS3?

You will have to get a hdmi splitter Therefore run
ps3 hdmi> splitter tv + (optical ps3>receiver for audio)
hdmi rec/blueray > splitter tv
Splitter example - You can buy cheaper splitters
http://www.qualitycables.com.au/hdmi-devices/hdmi-spitter.html

dglewis80
22nd May 2011, 01:05 PM
Give me the brand & model of everything you are hooking up and I'll see if I can come to a solution without having to buy anything extra.

BEK-46P
22nd May 2011, 01:34 PM
Give me the brand & model of everything you are hooking up and I'll see if I can come to a solution without having to buy anything extra.

TV is Panasonic TH-P54VT20A
Blu-Ray/Home Theatre is Panasonic SC-BTT755

and of course the PS3

I have 2x HDMI cables to work with.

dglewis80
22nd May 2011, 01:57 PM
TV is Panasonic TH-P54VT20A
Blu-Ray/Home Theatre is Panasonic SC-BTT755

and of course the PS3

I have 2x HDMI cables to work with.

As your home theatre system only has 1 HDMI port and thats an output, you are going to need a optical cable from your PS3 to your theatre system, its the only way it will work.

So something like this should do the job.

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/2m-digital-fibre-optic-toslink-to-toslink-cable.html

Offtopic: And I don't care what anyone says, unless you're an audiophile you don't need the best / most expensive cables ever!

BEK-46P
22nd May 2011, 03:17 PM
OK, optical cable - check.

Updated connections:

1. PS3 > HDMI > TV

2. PS3 > optical > receiver

3. Receiver > HDMI > TV

What do I change the Sound Settings to on the PS3?

Silver Surfer
22nd May 2011, 03:47 PM

Updated connections:

1. PS3 > HDMI > TV

2. PS3 > optical > receiver ( AUDIO settings on ps3 will allow you to change audio send settings from hdmi to optical And should allow you to select DTS )

3. Receiver > HDMI > TV

dglewis80
22nd May 2011, 03:47 PM

Updated connections:

1. PS3 > HDMI > TV

2. PS3 > optical > receiver

3. Receiver > HDMI > TV

IIRC Once you plug in the optical cable there will be a menu option for audio settings, in that you should be able to select optical output.

I think..... its been awhile.

Dahlia
22nd May 2011, 04:05 PM
IIRC Once you plug in the optical cable there will be a menu option for audio settings, in that you should be able to select optical output.

I think..... its been awhile.
Yes, find the audio settings on the ps3.

BEK-46P
22nd May 2011, 04:09 PM
2. PS3 > optical > receiver ( AUDIO settings on ps3 will allow you to change audio send settings from hdmi to optical And should allow you to select DTS )

Cool, works a treat!

Another question: does the HDMI cable between TV and receiver work 2 ways? As in, if TV content was getting broadcast in Dolby Digital, would the receiver detect it as such?

dglewis80
22nd May 2011, 04:13 PM
With your amp / blueray the HDMI output states that it works both ways...

Let me check for your TV....

By the looks of it if you use the HDMI-ARC sockets on your TV & amp the HDMI cable will work both ways. (Haven't see that before.....)

Dahlia
22nd May 2011, 04:13 PM
Cool, works a treat!

Another question: does the HDMI cable between TV and receiver work 2 ways? As in, if TV content was getting broadcast in Dolby Digital, would the receiver detect it as such?
No. There are HDMI inputs and outputs. They only work one way.