PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choices and prices

adam_92
17th May 2011, 09:50 PM
Hey guys. I'm hopefully going to be buying some new wheels tomorrow so I'm also gonna need some new tyres. Iv had toyo rrod on the vectra for a while and they where highly recommended to me by a few mechanics who I worked with at the time. And to be honest they aren't that good. They don't seem to have lasted too long. So. What tyres would you recommend for 19s and what sort of price should I be expecting to pay? Cheers

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

guy 27
17th May 2011, 10:02 PM
My ultimate recommendations will always be Micheline Pilot sports (1,2 or 3) but they are expensive.

If your after more of a budget tyre KU31's will be fine. I found them a little noisy but dry grip was good, wet was good until around 50% wear. They did last a long time though.

Just remember when it comes to tyres. Get the best you can afford. Its the only thing between the car and the road.

adam_92
17th May 2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah. The toyos weren't too bad when I first got them but they wear quick and they are terrible in the wet

scaifeys2.2mk4
17th May 2011, 10:30 PM
ive got goodyears on and they seem to have taken a punishing yet havent really worn that much, bit of sidewall def but i run lower pressures than most and they seem to have great wet grip

poita
17th May 2011, 10:33 PM
Have Toyo Teo's on the Mazda and Pirelli P-Zero Nero's on the Calibra

Quite happy with both of them

ChrisMaz
17th May 2011, 10:55 PM
Conti Sport contact. Love them.

adam_92
17th May 2011, 11:12 PM
Conti Sport contact. Love them.

235/35/19? What price are they

ChrisMaz
17th May 2011, 11:29 PM
Absolutely no idea. Came with the rims. I'll have a look in the morning.

adam_92
17th May 2011, 11:32 PM
Ah no worries mate. I thought you replaced the tyres on the

gman
19th May 2011, 10:37 AM
What do you want them to do??

Sport tyres: Toyo R1R's or Yokohama AD08 Neova's will be the best dry/wet grip ultra high performance tyres you'll find bar none. A friend has a GT3RS and so far he's been through (sorry we've been through seeing I destroyed his last set of rears :) ) the Michelins and the Pirellis and he's now using the AD08's and they are head and shoulders above the P Zero's and Pilot Sports.

More road oriented tyres it will come down to a price vs. performance vs. mileage equation.

Falken, Kuhmo, Toyo and Hankook are doing some really good tyres at very good prices, usually much less than the traditional Dunlop or Goodyear offerings with all the same performance.

vectra.lee
20th May 2011, 01:06 PM
Don't shoot me for saying this...

But I think Nankang's are ok. LOL.
They're really cheap though.

But before on my Mazda 626 I had Kenda, which lasted a whole year, didn't notice any wear, despite having gone on alot of road trips.
The Nankangs on my Vectra feel good. Only had them for a month, so time will have to be the judge of whether they'll last long or not.

I've seen some good brand tires that wear real quick.

guy 27
20th May 2011, 01:09 PM
Don't shoot me for saying this...
But I think Nankang's are ok. LOL.

Sorry but Nankangs have to be without question one of the worst tyres I have ever driven on.

poita
20th May 2011, 01:20 PM
I don't know, the high quality SAWA's I have on my 15" are pretty deadly

vectra.lee
20th May 2011, 01:26 PM
Sorry but Nankangs have to be without question one of the worst tyres I have ever driven on.

Hey bro, not picking an argument with you.
I did get this brand because they were the cheapest.

In what sense are they bad? What's your experience?
Just want to know, coz if they really suck, or if there's something I need to look out for, then I can avoid the brand next time.

JohnBu
20th May 2011, 02:02 PM
But before on my Mazda 626 I had Kenda, which lasted a whole year, didn't notice any wear, despite having gone on alot of road trips.
The Nankangs on my Vectra feel good. Only had them for a month, so time will have to be the judge of whether they'll last long or not.

I've seen some good brand tires that wear real quick.

hard tyres last a long time because they don't grip..

good tyres have softer compounds for better grip, and will wear out faster..

Stick with one of the known brands & you'll be ok..

Even the Koreans are making decent tyres these day, but make sure you select the right ones from their range, because they also make rubbish ones too.

I'm partial to the Bridgestone Re001a's because I can't fault them and they are reasonably priced..

vectra.lee
20th May 2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying.
I was interested in the Bridgestone range. But very dear.
I had a choice of getting Toyo for $60/each more than the Nankang. Perhaps the extra $240 would've been worth it? I dunno. LOL.

guy 27
20th May 2011, 02:56 PM
In what sense are they bad? What's your experience?
Just want to know, coz if they really suck, or if there's something I need to look out for, then I can avoid the brand next time.

worst gripping tyres i've ever driven on in the wet. I've driven plenty of customers cars that they have decided to put nankangs on and honestly. I think slicks would be a better tyre in the wet.
Another member on the forum had an accident a couple of months back where he locked up into the back of a truck. Had he of had better tyres on I can guarantee his stopping distance would of been reduced more than enough to avoid it.

When it comes to tyres. Its the #1 thing on the car that should never be skimped on.

Sorry I just can't understand how people can compromise their own and others safety for a couple of dollars. If all you can afford is a cheap tyre than maybe you should hold off a bit longer until you can get something better.

vectra.lee
20th May 2011, 03:04 PM
I understand where you're coming from.
For a few hundred saved, you probably end up killing or being killed, maybe survive but pay more dearly than the price of good tires.

I guess most people probably don't know enough about tires to realise what they're doing.
You don't see people that work in tire places urging customers to put safety first and pay more for better.
Who gets to judge the moral responsibility there?

Probably the advice for people like me with cheap tires is: defensive driving to the max! =)

guy 27
20th May 2011, 03:16 PM
Who gets to judge the moral responsibility there?

Probably the advice for people like me with cheap tires is: defensive driving to the max! =)

You prefer Pepsi or Coke?
Its up to the purchaser to do their research. Sure the person at the tyre place may try to sell you something cheap as they make more profit on it. Thats why you should always state what your after.
Tell them you want the safest tyre within your price range. I'd also use a small bussiness rather than a franchise as they might be $10 more per tyre (probably less though) but the advice and service they will give you will make up for it.

As for people not knowing enough about tyres. I'm sure today tonight or ACA do a story on it atleast once a month. There is plenty of info out there readily avalible.

As for the defensive driving. probably won't save you if the tyres don't do what you expect them to do.

vectra.lee
20th May 2011, 03:21 PM
Good point!

If you hear of a crash from me, credit goes to me for lack of research =P

Defensive driving, if that doesn't work...go slow like an old person! If you see a Vectra holding up traffic on a rainy day in Sydney west, might be me!

JohnBu
20th May 2011, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, defensive driving doesn't always help..

Good tyre companies spend tens of millions in research....

Crap tyre companies just copy the tread pattern of the good tyres..

black, round with similar tread pattern, but 50% cheaper.. alot of people will go for the cheap set.

in the wet, a good tyre will stop much earlier than a cheap tyre..

Good tyres are not cheap, but are worth the extra.

scaifeys2.2mk4
20th May 2011, 08:55 PM
nankangs are fine*

*tests were conducted with nankangs on the back of a drift car re001s as steerers

guy 27
20th May 2011, 08:59 PM
nankangs are fine*

*tests were conducted with nankangs on the back of a drift car re001s as steerers on a front wheel drive car

fixed :lol:

J
25th May 2011, 09:42 PM
The latest "Wheels" tyre test rates some 225/45R18 tyres in the following order:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 3
2) Continental SportContact 2
3) Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39
4) Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001
5) Sumitomo HTR Z III
6) Dunlop SP Sport 01
7) Nexen CP643A

gman: In your opinion, how much % would you rate the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 as better than the Michelin Pilot Sport 3?

BEK-46P
26th May 2011, 12:23 AM
There is a big jump in price in tyres as soon as you hit 19". For a decent brand/make, you're looking at around $300+ a corner. I just recently replaced my front two tyres with an el-cheapo brand by the name of Haida (19/35/235) for around $250 each. I've never had brilliant tyres ever since I ungraded to the 19" VXR rims so I can't compare them to the brands mentioned in this thread. Look, in most cases, you will find that you will adjust your driving style to your tyres, no matter what you get.

poita
26th May 2011, 10:30 AM
St George Tyres Online BEK

$250 a corner for Pirellis ;)

metry
26th May 2011, 11:52 AM
i got ku31s and theyre an excelent tyre. however i do rate the toyo proxes 4s aswell. from experience a shit tyre is a no go zone. i had shit tyres on my old commo and in the wet that thing slid and went into the gutter. my current lancer has nankangs on there atm. theyre old ones too and have hardened a bit. in the wet its slip and slide. i would never run cheap tyres on a car again. it doesnt matter howgood your suspension setup is, at the end of the day your tyres are the only thing between the car and the road. the ku31s just grip and grip well in all conditions but are wearing pretty quick. that being said i dont push my car like an idiot in the wet but they do hold there own.

on a side note, where abouts are you based in sydney?

Gatecrasher
17th July 2011, 05:26 PM
Hey guys from this list (http://www.bobjane.com.au/#wizard-results/ispt/Tyres/ivmk/43/ivy/2008/ivmo/8650/idm/18/ira/40.html?ACTION=SUBMIT_WIZARD) are the Michelin pilot sport still the way to go? Or do you suggest something else. How much would I be expecting to lay down and how do you guys rate them in terms of grip in wet/dry conditions. Cheers!

guy 27
17th July 2011, 05:36 PM
PS2's are still one of the best tyres you can get.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-45-18-Tyres.htm

Gatecrasher
17th July 2011, 05:38 PM
PS2's are still one of the best tyres you can get.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-45-18-Tyres.htm

Nice link! thanks.

Gatecrasher
18th July 2011, 07:35 PM
FML bob Jane quoted me $479 for PS3s!!

adam_92
27th July 2011, 11:17 AM
Anyone know what nexens are like? Friend of a friend owns a tyrepower and was trying to sell me them

guy 27
27th July 2011, 12:04 PM
Anyone know what nexens are like? Friend of a friend owns a tyrepower and was trying to sell me them

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nexen/

gmonkey
27th July 2011, 12:07 PM

not as good as a z20leh in a b gsi :p sorry i just had to!

hazrd
27th July 2011, 12:19 PM
I had them on the calibra when I bought it. they werent the best of tyre. they went alright once they warmed up, but it took a far bit to get them warmed up in the first place

that being said.... terrible in the wet

JohnBu
27th July 2011, 01:31 PM

Friends don't like friends drive on Nexens.. haha

adam_92
27th July 2011, 01:50 PM
not as good as a z20leh in a b gsi :p sorry i just had to!

Shush hahaha. I wouldn't pay $3500 anyway. The car only cost that. Just bought some corsa c Sri alloys for it. Brand new tyres and the wheels are immaculate. No scratches at all.

Cheers lads. Il keep away from the nexens

ChrisMaz
27th July 2011, 01:55 PM
Have a look into Neuton tyres.

Suposedly around the same price as Nexens, and quite a lot better. Although they still have nothing on a decent set of rubber.

Gatecrasher
27th July 2011, 02:36 PM
I'm getting my PS3s fitted on saturday!