btm
17th May 2011, 11:01 AM
Thoughts... Good or Bad?

V8 Supercars have announced a $300 million deal selling 60 per
cent of the motorsport championship's shares to a Sydney-based
private equity firm.

Archer Capital will now take a controlling share of the
championship after negotiating the deal with Sports and
Entertainment Limited (SEL) and the V8 Supercar teams.

Under the new deal, which is expected to give every license
holder $4 million, the teams will retain a 40 per cent share in the
sport.

Current boss TONY COCHRANE will be retained as the sport's
chairman.

COCHRANE says a new commission to run the sport will be
established in June and he's eyeing off an 18-round calendar in the
future.

poita
17th May 2011, 11:03 AM
The live telecast of the conference is still going for those interested.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/

From what I gathered they are wanting to do it so the teams are forking out as much for the running of the actual sport.

Thus allowing them to focus more on spending money in R&D for car of the future.

As long as it doesnt change too much I'm all for it

Hoss
17th May 2011, 11:21 AM
Hmmm....private equity firms, not sure about them as they can sometimes be like a house of cards. No doubt there will be changes with Cochrane previously saying he wants more overseas races. If that's the case, what races in Oz will go as there would be a limit to the number of races in a year. Clearly the V8s will race overseas if the money is right, as attendances at the races aren't a factor based on the current OS races. Based on current OS races, I don't think the rest of the world will be overly interested in a two make field for cars they can't buy, particularly the Ford. With the exception of the USA, most of the rest of the world is into 2 litre cars. Cracking the US market would be difficult against Nascar.

Personally I prefer to watch the BTCC - more close racing, some pushing and shoving, and less involvement by officials during the races.

mr corsa
17th May 2011, 12:18 PM
bring on the two litres for support aswell

cobey
17th May 2011, 12:29 PM
Personally I prefer to watch the BTCC - more close racing, some pushing and shoving, and less involvement by officials during the races.
from twitter "You know the news, now tell us your views! Are you excited with whats to come for the future of V8 Supercars?" Peter Langford@v8supercars means jack since you put all the drivers in skirts & fine them for even looking like touching fenders, you lost me years ago.

hazrd
17th May 2011, 08:47 PM
bring on the two litres for support aswell
better teach yours to turn corners first tony :p