PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol Tuning

poita
5th May 2011, 09:41 PM
Well since the calibra is getting an after market ECU am considering getting two tunes on it.

One for 98 and one for E10, since E10 is like 20c/l cheaper.

Thoughts and opinions either way would be good.

Anything I would need to change or just not bother?

CNBLU
5th May 2011, 09:45 PM
Hpf did a test on fuels a while back, think e10 &98 werent far off each other. If its going to work out then its a no brainer.

poita
5th May 2011, 09:53 PM
We run E10 in the mazda, havent noticed any drop in power and have been getting better economy.

So I'm wondering if I could just run it anyway without any changes?

CNBLU
5th May 2011, 10:34 PM
i think you would be fine, its got an octane rating of 95.

check out the vid
http://www.ozgarage.com.au/page/10

poita
5th May 2011, 10:36 PM
cheers mate, will check it out

Bloodnok
6th May 2011, 07:33 AM
i think you would be fine, its got an octane rating of 95.

Not all E10 does. And E10 currently isn't always 10% ethanol - as they are having "difficulty" sourcing it (read: Yasi ripped through the sugarcane). Typical E10 is actually 94 octane (some is even advertised as such), and at the moment, it's probably a lot lower as the ethanol content is lower. AFAICT only United and Matilda actually advertise their E10 as 95 octane (Freedom used to, but they changed supplier and removed all the 95 branding).

In my V6 Vectra (which specifies 95 as the minimum grade) it ran fine on United's E10 until recently - then it started having problems. I'm now buying what seems like the world's most expensive 98 instead (though it'd still be a lot more expensive in Britain - we are probably at about British 2007 levels now), but it does at least run properly...

I'll probably go back to United's E10/95 when the ethanol situation is back to normal, I'm not seeing a significant improvement in using 98 over E10/95. At least compared to proper E10/95 - with a genuine 10% ethanol and actually meeting 95 octane spec...

gman
6th May 2011, 08:48 AM
Also remember in winter they drop the ethanol content slightly as it helps cold start.

Mine runs on E85 and it loves it, especially at 105+ octane and $1.05/litre. The problem I have is as above, United keep theirs at 85% ethanol where as Caltex drop as low as 70% in winter. Thats why its marked Bio-Flex not E85.

If you can run an ethanol blend do it. Aside from the tune just check your pumps, lines, filters and injectors are ethanol rated or you'll haven real mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutchy
6th May 2011, 09:06 AM
Don't you need to change to fuel lines as well ? As I understood, ethanol isn't very "healthy" for rubber, specially in older cars.

Bloodnok
6th May 2011, 09:06 AM
Mine runs on E85 and it loves it, especially at 105+ octane and $1.05/litre.

E85 is a whole different kettle of fish to E10, and the two should not be confused :). As you've mentioned, going to E85 requires checking and possibly changing a number of parts of the fuel system, whereas E10 is often OK through stock items. Maybe not for a Calibra though, given when they were made - worth checking that.

Another potential issue with E85 is it can be hard to find - you've obviously got several garages near you which do sell it, but other people may not have - I don't, and Peter may not have in Bundy. I know a friend of mine repeatedly complains that he can't get hold of it in Townsville - he's got a rather heavily worked car that could run on it (and do rather well on it), but can't find anywhere to buy it!

The problem I have is as above, United keep theirs at 85% ethanol where as Caltex drop as low as 70% in winter. Thats why its marked Bio-Flex not E85.

Heh, my local United can't get enough ethanol to keep their E10 at 10%, so they must be using all they've got keeping yours running at 85% :p

CNBLU
7th May 2011, 08:46 PM
Don't you need to change to fuel lines as well ? As I understood, ethanol isn't very "healthy" for rubber, specially in older cars.

i havnt seen any proof of this, maybe over a long period of time they might need changing but i highly doubt it

poita
7th May 2011, 09:01 PM
only in E85 applications i've read/heard its not good for lines

gman
12th May 2011, 10:30 PM
For concentrations up to 15% / 20% the standard lines are fine. They have to be able to accommodate lower concentrations by law is most countries.

If going to E85, you'll need new lines, if for no other reason then the stock ones are too small as I found out. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poita
12th May 2011, 10:33 PM
Well car goes in in the morning, will let you all know how it turns out and what he says about E10 tuning