PDA

View Full Version : Opel Astra article in new Top Gear mag

BEK-46P
30th April 2011, 03:43 PM
Full page article on the new Astra/Opel setting up shop in Oz.

Excerpt:

"...there's just one problem. Apart from a few Asian university students who used to swap the Holden badges for Opel badges back in the day, nobody knows in Australia who or what Opel is"

:lol:

HoldenAstra
30th April 2011, 03:55 PM
because Asia has Opel instead of Holden

spikeyboy22
30th April 2011, 04:06 PM
So does it give any details of when they are coming ....

poita
30th April 2011, 05:21 PM
hahaha thats gold!!

ChrisMaz
30th April 2011, 05:31 PM
Someone write them an angry letter and see if OpelAus can get a free plug :lol:

poita
30th April 2011, 06:07 PM
nuggz, tezarity can you guys write this?

ChrisMaz
30th April 2011, 06:13 PM
nuggz, tezarity can you guys write this?

:lol: First thought.

tomtom
30th April 2011, 08:08 PM
I didn't know I was part of a sterotype. lol.

guy 27
30th April 2011, 08:18 PM
I didn't know I was part of a sterotype. lol.

Don't worry. I didn't know I was Asian.

spikeyboy22
30th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Could we get a scan of the article so we dont have to wait until Monday for the mag to come out

metry
30th April 2011, 11:40 PM
im not asian. we badged our cars as opels as that is what they are. its not like putting chev badges on a commodore.

Devo
1st May 2011, 11:50 AM
im not asian. we badged our cars as opels as that is what they are. its not like putting chev badges on a commodore.

thats exactly what i said to the boys at work! they think opel badges are silly :( but astras didnt start over here! is my argument...

Red AH SRI T
1st May 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm proud to be the first ever ranga asian!

Devo
1st May 2011, 08:20 PM
I'm proud to be the first ever ranga asian!

maybe a natural one? iv seen them before. NOT PRETTY

rjastra
2nd May 2011, 10:34 AM

No, you are only allowed to put Pontiac badges on them ;)

Actually, now that they sell Caprices in the USA as cop cars I suppose there is some legitamacy in putting Chev badges on Commodores - lol

cobey
2nd May 2011, 10:46 AM
No, you are only allowed to put Pontiac badges on them ;)

Actually, now that they sell Caprices in the USA as cop cars I suppose there is some legitamacy in putting Chev badges on Commodores - lol

only lagit if it was the other way around ie Americans putting Holden badges on their car

Devo
2nd May 2011, 03:57 PM
only lagit if it was the other way around ie Americans putting Holden badges on their car

+1

dizzydumb
2nd May 2011, 04:03 PM
"...there's just one problem. Apart from a few Asian university students who used to swap the Holden badges for Opel badges back in the day, nobody knows in Australia who or what Opel is"

Um... lol... that might just be me back then

tomtom
2nd May 2011, 08:07 PM
I just think the blitz looks cool...

Shaun
2nd May 2011, 08:39 PM

The Commodore is sold as a Chev in the Middle east. Hence where the Chev badges are used by Holden in Australia. Also the Badges can be purchased in a Dealership here in Australia.
So techincally people putting Chev Bagdes on there Commodores no different to putting an Opel Badge on a Opel Built Product that Holden Imported .

Milesy
2nd May 2011, 08:41 PM
The Commodore is sold as a Chev in the Middle east. Hence where the Chev badges are used by Holden in Australia. Also the Badges can be purchased in a Dealership here in Australia.
So techincally people putting Chev Bagdes on there Commodores no different to putting an Opel Badge on a Opel Built Product that Holden Imported .

...and don't forget Sth Africa and Brazil too!

SIMid
3rd May 2011, 07:24 AM
...and don't forget Sth Africa and Brazil too!

and Europe :p

poita
3rd May 2011, 07:47 AM
and Europe :p

Europe got them as Chevs ??

Wraith
3rd May 2011, 09:48 AM
Full page article on the new Astra/Opel setting up shop in Oz.

Excerpt:

LOL this whole re-badging business out there, it's always made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

No need to do it now with a future Opel eh ?? maybe stick Holden badges on it :lol:

Hmmm wonder how many Daewoo owners are tossing out their Holden badges :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wraith
3rd May 2011, 12:08 PM

The difference is that it's available as an option at the dealership ! ie. only the Chev logo/badge, not any others !

And as you probably know a large percentage of Commodore V8 owners have a direct lineage or previously owned vehicles related to past Chev V8's so it's a marketing sales pitch on GMH's part and it certainly dosn't spoil or tarnish the brand image in any way and it would therefore be more enticing for such people to opt for it...

I certainly don't think they ever considered offering Opel or even OPC badges in the past or indeed Daewoo badges presently as a factory option now, would they ??

They certainly caused themselves a bit of an identity prob with the AH VXR, maybe they should've provided optional Holden bagdes for the VXR :p

dizzydumb
3rd May 2011, 12:11 PM
Well, due to that HSV badging on my car, my colleagues give me shite about 'missing 4-cylinders & few litres' to wearing a V8-designated badge lol.

Wraith
4th May 2011, 12:03 PM
Well, due to that HSV badging on my car, my colleagues give me shite about 'missing 4-cylinders & few litres' to wearing a V8-designated badge lol.

Yes, unfortunately when you have that and in the case of the VXR multiple branding as it has Europe based OPC logos as well, then this sort of thing will happen...in this particular case I wouldn't blame people for doing a re or de-badge jobbie just to get it looking uniform in one way or another, probably easier to Opelise the HSV part of it...

But in most other cases, I really don't see the point of re-badging, IMHO it would just be better to de-badge all together if you really didn't want what's there in the 1st place...

Speaking of de-badging some manufacturers give you that option as well (eg. BMW) but it involves deletion of the model logos only not the brand badges, suppose not many people would want to re or de-badge a BMW :lol:

BEK-46P
4th May 2011, 12:23 PM
Don't want to experience the stigma of owning a so-called Holden... and the sh!t thing is, <pause> IT'S NOT!

Plus let's face it - the lightning bolt looks so much cooler than the lion. I love that people need to look twice (maybe more) to figure out just what the hell you're driving. On the other hand, I got approached by two old men (probably in their 60s) and were probably Greek or Croatian or something, telling me "wow, that's an Opel, is it?"

Wraith
4th May 2011, 12:33 PM
Don't want to experience the stigma of owning a so-called Holden... and the sh!t thing is, <pause> IT'S NOT!

Plus let's face it - the lightning bolt looks so much cooler than the lion. I love that people need to look twice (maybe more) to figure out just what the hell you're driving. On the other hand, I got approached by two old men (probably in their 60s) and were probably Greek or Croatian or something, telling me "wow, that's an Opel, is it?"

That's just personal preference I suppose and that's fair enough :)

IMHO I reckon both the Holden lion (especially the newer chamfered style) and HSV logos look alot better than the Opel blitz, I always see it as an aesthetic backward step in Opelising a Holden or HSV, but as said each to their own :)

Those 2 older Euro guys you mentioned would've been wondering for a moment if they were in the right Country or not, thanks for the confusion you re-badges are causing LOL :p

Devo
4th May 2011, 04:50 PM

yeah thats what im about making em look twice. honestly i do like holdens.... but probs wouldt drive one. always considered myself to be a european car guy. which is why i changed the badges back to where the car was originally designed.

cizSri-T
4th May 2011, 10:28 PM
arnt holden commos made here in australia? they do not to be re badged as chevs. as for us to opelize our astras and veccys ect is more appropriate i say :)

cobey
4th May 2011, 11:14 PM
arnt holden commos made here in australia? they do not to be re badged as chevs. as for us to opelize our astras and veccys ect is more appropriate i say :)

+1

metry
4th May 2011, 11:42 PM
but it all started with the ss using a chev motor

cobey
4th May 2011, 11:48 PM
but it all started with the ss using a chev motor
thats like putting a Nissan badge on a VL commy or buick badge on a VN Commy Isuzu badge on the rodeo

ChrisMaz
5th May 2011, 12:42 AM
Completely Off topic.

I did spot an OLD Isuzu 4wd about a month back with an Irmscher Body kit and big ass rims. Even had the stock Irmscher stripes down the side. Opelised on the rear troop door.

Wraith
5th May 2011, 11:56 AM
Completely Off topic.

I did spot an OLD Isuzu 4wd about a month back with an Irmscher Body kit and big ass rims. Even had the stock Irmscher stripes down the side. Opelised on the rear troop door.

Hahahaha LOL :)

As said for other posts above on the Chev-alising part of it, it'll definitely be due to the strong on and off relationship of the past 5 decades of GMH involvement of the GM Chev V8 engines and they were always seen as being far more special and superior to being fitted with locally produced V8's, enough reason for alot of people to stick Chev badges or stickers on their cars just because of the engine fitted...

Nissan and Isuzu and Opel engines and power trains have only been used here and there on GMH models and none were really big stand outs, except for highly tuned aftermarket 3.0 IL6 jobbies in the VL range, but that has only a fraction of a following compared to the Chev V8 community :)

fteve
7th May 2011, 05:17 PM
thats like putting a Nissan badge on a VL commy or buick badge on a VN Commy Isuzu badge on the rodeo
It's like me putting a fiat badge on my CDTi
Or my bro putting a VOLVO badge on his Focus RS

I mean really people! get a chevy engine cover or somthing if you must

tomtom
9th May 2011, 12:47 PM
pics of the RS.

fteve
9th May 2011, 02:42 PM
ha... here you go
By the way. You have one neat car. Love the nurb wheels
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/fteve/RSOA.jpg

cdti
10th May 2011, 11:46 AM
Or my bro putting a VOLVO badge on his Focus RS
A mate had a "volvo Inside" sticker on his XR5 rear window

poita
10th May 2011, 11:49 AM
know someone with thats sticker too, he's actually a member here

fteve
10th May 2011, 03:48 PM
Ah mad! I had a look for one of those for him but couldn't find them anywhere
Ofcourse it is different to taking the ford badge off and getting volvo badges for the front, back, wheels, and steering wheel like my fav. commodores