PDA

View Full Version : Lowering?

NUTTTR
21st December 2003, 01:03 AM
I know a few people use Eibach springs...... What's your opinions on them? i'm already "20mm" lower than stock with the SRi, but it doesnt' feel it, however, it's fairly low already, i DO want it lower, but i also hear the eibach's ride very well with stock shocks and also with koni's.......
So, peoples opinions, are the eibach too low? I scrape every now and again @20mm lower, but those area's are easily avoided to stop this if i go lower... I'd love koni's as the stock shocks really are quite crap !
Anyone?
Aaron

SmellyTofu
21st December 2003, 06:09 AM
I don't know about "good ride" coz there are times that it crashes over bumps etc. Leaving stock shocks with Eibach makes the car wallowy over bumps. Forget doing that coz the stock shocks are very very soft to compress and extend.

Ride with Koni and Eibach... well, it's alright.. can get rocky over a series of bumps coz the Koni won't extend that easily so moderate rises up and down in the road will make you rise up and down fairly quick whereas normal cars will rise up slower, and come down slower giving a better ride (good example is at the last exit on the Gore Hill Freeway going out to Artarmon/Chatswood just before you get on the bridge that curves right over the Freeway).

Also you don't want it lower. There are times that it will hit the bump stops; especially when it's a sharp bump that is only on one side. You soon learn to avoid them anyway. The only one so far that I have a problem with is at Epping Road (at Marsfield near the Avaya Building is) where I can only go on the middle lane at 80 (90 is also fine) but in the others, I need to get to 60 to make it through. Maybe the way around it is to cut the bump stops about 15mm. *shrug* However, for me, the perfect setting is 15mm lowered Eibach....

Comparing to Kings, the Kings are a bit softer and the combo of Koni yellow front, reds back + Kings (Shao's old setting) is much more liveable in everyday driving. It's not as sharp over bumps as my setting. Especially the rears where the yellows make it quite stiff though the springs too make it stiff also.

Anonymous
21st December 2003, 04:03 PM
I have Bilstien 10mm Lower than Standard Astra SRi Springs and Shocks.
I find it just the right Hieght(Not too low or Too High) and it handles a bit better, But the rear is a little hard so it steps out in the rear if ya push it too much.

Anonymous
21st December 2003, 07:06 PM
With eibach pro kit you would achieve same ride height in the front compare with the stock SRI springs and the rear will be a little bit lower which was what happened on my car. Mine was teamed up with koni yellows so I am not sure if that made a difference. If you choose the pro kit for the lighter engines (1.4, 1.6,etc) you can get the front lowered a bit more. I was told that it is same rate with shorter springs.

If you can match up with an aftermarket shock, I would recommend to choose the sportlines over pro-kit because I do find the pro kit a bit soft when pushing it but is fine for everyday driving. The pro kit also stands a little bit high.

I felt the pro kit's front spring rate is softer than Sri's stock front spring. Also in an article I read recently ( I think it was speed or something) said the targa astra turbo uses sportlines springs which are 15% stiffer than stock and 40mm lower, though I dunno whether it compared with stock turbo springs or the normal astra springs. Sri's front spring rate are already 14% higher than stock.

Overall I think pro kit is a nice all rounder and sportline is better for more focused driving if you can care to avoid patholes and large bumps on the road. If I were to choose again I may choose sportline. :wink:

NUTTTR
22nd December 2003, 11:05 PM
I was actually looking to get a set of springs from teh UK that were 40/20 (front lower) to sort of level the car out, my ICE means the car sits lower in the rear already... but insurance is a right PITA :(
30mm is as low as i can go... Stock shocks are good for stock shocks but waaaaay too soft IMO... The car does bounce alot and wallow's like nothing else, something that's making me want to change... I too am worried about the ride, because sometimes the bumps are hard enough in my car without any firmer suspension!
It's bit of a toughy, because springs + shocks will be ~1500 for the set installed at least, which is a pita on a 6mth old car ;) Then there's warranty, etc...... I definately don't want the suspension softer, but want it to handle better, and i feel the koni's and eibach can do that....... not sure tho, thats' why i'm askin :)
Aaron

SmellyTofu
23rd December 2003, 04:18 AM
How about leaving the springs as they are and put Koni on them? That will cure the seasickness effect around corners yet leave the ride as it is.