View Full Version : Opel previews production Astra GTC ahead of Frankfurt debut

Red AH SRI T
27th April 2011, 08:42 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/web630-1-astra-gtc.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/2-astra-gtc.jpg

Head over to autoblog.com for more info

Bloodnok
27th April 2011, 08:56 AM
Urk. Instant dislike of the very Peugeot like "trying to eat too big a pie" lower grille / bumper. At least the black strip is at the top with this one, not set down a little as with Peugeot though...

tezarity
27th April 2011, 09:04 AM
Mazda 3 hatch meets the new 308 much?

tomtom
27th April 2011, 09:28 AM
I really liked it when I first saw it a while back... Now I'm not too sure...

It looks almost.. too flat and wide with the gaping mouth.

The H on the other hand... handsome car! ;)

GreyRex
27th April 2011, 09:46 AM
Urk. Instant dislike of the very Peugeot like "trying to eat too big a pie" lower grille / bumper. At least the black strip is at the top with this one, not set down a little as with Peugeot though...

I really liked it when I first saw it a while back... Now I'm not too sure...

It looks almost.. too flat and wide with the gaping mouth.

The H on the other hand... handsome car! ;)

+1

It's just not grabbing me like the AH did all those years ago... and i've seen this new one in the metal already

metry
27th April 2011, 10:21 AM
the car looks good except for that big ass smile its got

cobey
27th April 2011, 10:21 AM
The H on the other hand... handsome car! ;) agreed

Nurb608
27th April 2011, 10:56 AM
I really like it :)

The problem with the cars today is that they are now having to comply with pedestrian crash safety which is the reason for all the new front ends starting to look the same.

Vectracious
27th April 2011, 11:00 AM
Love how wide it looks - although the styling cues like the headlights just remind me of the pre-facelift Passat and even older, the Liberty's/Legacy's from Subaru.

hazrd
27th April 2011, 11:48 AM
Do want

Mr Kenny
27th April 2011, 03:04 PM
The grille looks abnormally small thanks to the giant smile below it... it'll grow on me... maybe.

poita
27th April 2011, 03:14 PM
very mazda 3 to me from the front.

which isnt a bad thing imo. i like them ;)

BEK-46P
27th April 2011, 05:32 PM
Nah, I don't mind it!

Milesy
27th April 2011, 08:23 PM
I think it's an awesome looking car, and this is not even the OPC/VXR version which will be even more aggressive. Line it up next to a Golf and its a no brainer!

rjastra
28th April 2011, 01:05 PM
I think it's an awesome looking car, and this is not even the OPC/VXR version which will be even more aggressive. Line it up next to a Golf and its a no brainer!

I would have thought a Megane RS250 or Scirocco R are more its intended competitors.

Ooie
29th April 2011, 01:03 PM
Agree with the Megane/Scirocco match up.. The GTC looks like the Megane actually.

In all defence tho, I actually saw a Megane RS250 the other day and I'm very impressed. Good looking car! If only it wasn't French!

sooty
29th April 2011, 02:59 PM
I would have thought a Megane RS250 or Scirocco R are more its intended competitors.
i would have thought the megane and R would be competitors for the OPC (just like the VXR would be)?

and the GTC would be up against the GTi and Focus XR5, (same as the SRi-T)?

dizzydumb
29th April 2011, 05:17 PM
Nah, the RS250 is slightly higher than the VXR, and would be in Golf R territory already. So GTi and XR5 is waaaay out of the picture. But I reckon that if put on a track with lots of corners, a civic FN2R will be right up it's arse.

sooty
29th April 2011, 05:35 PM
Nah, the RS250 is slightly higher than the VXR, and would be in Golf R territory already. So GTi and XR5 is waaaay out of the picture. But I reckon that if put on a track with lots of corners, a civic FN2R will be right up it's arse.

I'm saying the GTC is in the leagues of the GTi and xr5. Not talking about the rs250

dizzydumb
29th April 2011, 05:37 PM
Ah my bad.... you're spot on mate. GTC and GTi around 147kw, but xr5 is 155kw. Would it make much of a difference tho? I know some VW dudes argue that their GTi with DSG will chop our GTC anyday

sooty
29th April 2011, 05:49 PM
Ah my bad.... you're spot on mate. GTC and GTi around 147kw, but xr5 is 155kw. Would it make much of a difference tho? I know some VW dudes argue that their GTi with DSG will chop our GTC anyday
reading back through my post it's pretty ambiguous, can understand how it would read incorrectly!

for the sake of a few kw, the other three (GTC, GTi and XR5) should be same price point, and the primary competitors of eachother, the RS250, Scirroco R and OPC will be a good $10-15k higher and are positioned to rival each other i would have thought

Manaz
29th April 2011, 08:08 PM

Golf GTI is 155kW as of MkVI...

Red AH SRI T
1st May 2011, 08:25 PM
And in Oz the RS250 is priced similar to GTi.

I sell VW but I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my RS250. ****ing awesome car!

rjastra
2nd May 2011, 10:32 AM
And in Oz the RS250 is priced similar to GTi.

I sell VW but I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove my RS250. ****ing awesome car!

Exactly. Nothing to do with power output it's the price point. The RS250 is priced to match the Golf GTI.

I would expect Opel to price match the GTC (if it comes here) to the RS250 and Golf GTI.
Personally, I doubt we'll get the 2 door GTC in the near future. The numbers game in that sector is definately 5 door hatch.

Wraith
3rd May 2011, 09:43 AM
My opinion is still not changed, IMHO in those pics it looks fantastic I love this new AJ...

Really looking forward to seeing them in the metal especially the range topper hi po OPC/VXR variant :)

And if it's that good and the pricing is right I'll definitely be looking for more garage space...