PDA

View Full Version : Malibu Leaked

ChrisMaz
14th April 2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-large-opt.jpg

Cruze x Epica.

Looks alright.

chrissn89
14th April 2011, 07:00 PM
Looks good. More modern euro than the anything else holden are offering.

Sent from my Garmin-Asus A50 using Tapatalk

poita
14th April 2011, 07:17 PM
I actually don't mind it at all

Vectracious
14th April 2011, 07:23 PM
Not bad at all!

dieselhead
15th April 2011, 11:54 AM
And the point of Malibu is... filling the gap between Commodore and Cruze? That's it?

sooty
15th April 2011, 11:56 AM
And the point of Malibu is... filling the gap between Commodore and Cruze? That's it?

Epica replacement

dieselhead
15th April 2011, 12:05 PM
Right, smart move, we all know Epica was such a huge success... :D

sooty
15th April 2011, 12:06 PM
Right, smart move, we all know Epica was such a huge success... :D

I don't even know what it's meant to go up against... Maxima? Accord? Camry?

btm
15th April 2011, 12:46 PM
doesnt look too bad!

Jerram
15th April 2011, 06:44 PM
front is not attractive imo. Probably has something to do with Pedestrian Crash ratings but I haven't liked front ends on most new everyday cars for awhile now.

mind you you're talking to the kind of person who enjoys the front ends of things such as Rollers and Turbo Rs etc.

Vectracious
16th April 2011, 04:31 PM
I don't even know what it's meant to go up against... Maxima? Accord? Camry?

I would have thought it woul be up agaunst the Mazda 6, Honda Accord Euro. Ive looked at Cruzes - just like the Mazda 3, they are just that little bit too small for someone looking to cart young children around and dont want to go to a Commodore or Falcon size car.

guy 27
19th April 2011, 01:45 PM
not a bad looking car at all.

Red AH SRI T
19th April 2011, 07:53 PM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-1-625x416.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-2-625x416.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-6-625x397.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-5.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-3-625x392.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2013-chevrolet-malibu-4-625x416.jpg

I gotta say I quite like it, especially the two tone interior (minus the woodgrain)

Pics from www.caradvice.com.au

hazrd
19th April 2011, 08:13 PM
that interior looks mint!

MatsHolden
20th April 2011, 11:40 AM
I like the cues from Camaro with tail lights, flat boot deck and instrument cluster.

01CDsedan
20th April 2011, 01:19 PM
No inteerst whatsoever in buying one, but at least they won't offend the eye when I see one on the roads.

rjastra
20th April 2011, 01:40 PM
Looks good. I like that you can specify an interior with a bit of colour rather than just drab grey.

I read that it gets a 2.5 Ecotec engine (Accord Euro matching figures). Wonder if they will fit this into the Opel Insignia when they release it here? It's essential that Opel has access to non-turbo as well as turbo engines in their main stream sedans.

Manaz
29th April 2011, 09:11 PM
It's essential that Opel has access to non-turbo as well as turbo engines in their main stream sedans.

Why? The turbo engines are more economical and have better torque characteristics than NA engines.

The Holden Cruze is now available with a 1.4L turbo as an option to the ancient 1.8L NA - its a better engine by practically every measure. I'd be surprised if Holden don't drop the 1.8L NA in the next update once they can offer the 1.4T at a comparible price (there's a small premium to pay for it at present).

rjastra
30th April 2011, 09:17 PM
Why? The turbo engines are more economical and have better torque characteristics than NA engines.

The Holden Cruze is now available with a 1.4L turbo as an option to the ancient 1.8L NA - its a better engine by practically every measure. I'd be surprised if Holden don't drop the 1.8L NA in the next update once they can offer the 1.4T at a comparible price (there's a small premium to pay for it at present).

And what problems do P PLate drivers have with turbo cars??

hazrd
30th April 2011, 09:21 PM
unfortunately for P platers, Opel probably isnt planning to target that specific demographic :( although the Astra will more than likely have a non turbo model when it comes here

ChrisMaz
30th April 2011, 09:24 PM
And what problems do P PLate drivers have with turbo cars??

Only in some states

Red AH SRI T
1st May 2011, 09:10 PM
I sell VW and P platers just apply for an exemption for Polo, Golf ect with 1.2 and 1.4 turbo

rjastra
2nd May 2011, 11:36 AM
I sell VW and P platers just apply for an exemption for Polo, Golf ect with 1.2 and 1.4 turbo

Yes, but a 2L turbo under the hood may not allow an exemption....

xplosv57
2nd May 2011, 11:43 AM

So then a P plater can't buy it, plenty of other cars they can buy.....

Like Hazrd said, Chevrolet/Holden/Opel isn't marketing this car for P platers, it's more of a mid sized family car.

Red AH SRI T
2nd May 2011, 09:18 PM

It depends. If it is a "high performance" vehicle like a Golf GTI, then it would be harder, but if its like say a 2.0 Turbo in the Tiguan which isnt at all a fast car then it would be considered

dieselhead
2nd May 2011, 10:44 PM
P platers should drive Clios then.Nice atmo engine under the hood should be legit, right? :)
Seriously now, not alowing teenagers to drive new, safe cars, is simply wrong.

MatsHolden
4th May 2011, 02:35 PM
The P plate prohibited list is so hit and miss... for instance, a VXR Astra is banned in Victoria as well as a Golf GTi, yet an AH Astra SRi Turbo can be driven upon application... and a Porsche Cayman is straight up approved? Makes no sense.

Keep'emRunning
4th May 2011, 04:10 PM
no easy answer to this one.. i beleive one of the reasons that p platers are banned from turbos is simply the fact most of them still live at home, and hence have more disposable income to throw at their cars..

Getting a tonne more power out of a turbo is a lot easier, and cheaper, than a N/A car, with far more serious consequences through simple mistakes.

At least by getting off their P's they have a little more driving experience and able to better handle their vehicles when upgrading.

Not to say that a lot of young people aren't driving hi-po cars within the legalities that currently exist of course... (and we've all seen the the pics of those accidents too)

ChrisMaz
4th May 2011, 04:13 PM
The thing is. This is just hearing about deaths on the news, in papers etc. Most P platers are driving V6 commodores and still killing themselves. Don't blame the cars power. Blame the driver training. Back O.T.

Hows about that Malibu...

MatsHolden
4th May 2011, 04:57 PM
If the Malibu is priced right here then I can see it doing quite well.

ChrisMaz
4th May 2011, 05:12 PM
The thing is. Its so close to the Cruze, as far as I can tell, that I'm not entirely sure what its going to offer to the market.

Bloodnok
4th May 2011, 05:13 PM
Have we actually had any confirmation that Holden will be selling these?

MatsHolden
4th May 2011, 05:16 PM
The thing is. Its so close to the Cruze, as far as I can tell, that I'm not entirely sure what its going to offer to the market.

It's larger than Cruze.

Vectracious
4th May 2011, 05:17 PM
It's larger than Cruze.

+1

It's competing against things like the Mazda 6 - Cruze cannot match midsizers for interior space...

MatsHolden
4th May 2011, 05:18 PM
Have we actually had any confirmation that Holden will be selling these?

Yeah Holden have confirmed they will be selling it here from 2012.

rjastra
24th July 2012, 05:05 PM
Holden Malibu pics
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/852B97B4CD724199CA257A4500030D97/$file/Holden_Malibu_large.jpg

faneca
24th July 2012, 05:11 PM
The cruze front bar and the Malibu front bar look too similar IMO.

Hoss
24th July 2012, 06:29 PM
It looks OK inside and out. Let's hope Holden go with the Malibu Turbo in their lineup. Meanwhile, I hope you are all saving your pennies for the Volt!

poita
24th July 2012, 06:43 PM
Well the Ampera is in the SEVS list ;)

jackdaniel
31st July 2012, 05:46 PM
Malibu....looks OK, but is it still a Daewoo underneath?

Although I havent driven the Cruise myself, every other Daewoo (and heap-of-poo based car - Epica....blleeeeggghhh) that I have ever had the misfortune to be behind the wheel of, has been among the biggest piles of shit ever created (and I've driven a Lada....).

If its Opel/Vauxhall based, I'll give it a look. Maybe even if its Chev based. But if Daewoo - not going anywhere near it. Made (assembled) in Oz or not.

Edit: Did a quick search, and guess what; its a Daewoo. Only made in the USA and Bupyeong, South Korea - so guess where the RHD versions are comming from.

So lokks like its an Insignia on the shopping list then - lets hope we get the OPC version.

http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range/cars/insignia-4-door/index.html

poita
28th October 2012, 02:36 PM
Reported to be coming out with a 2L turbo in the states.

Looking at the specs I'd say it's the same motor as the Astra OPC.

Nurb608
28th October 2012, 03:48 PM
Reported to be coming out with a 2L turbo in the states.

Looking at the specs I'd say it's the same motor as the Astra OPC.

Id say it would be similar as that's where the lnf motor has been for a while before making its way into the OPC

poita
28th October 2012, 03:53 PM
Found the info again, it's on the GM site so no doubt it's not a rumour

A new, direct-injected Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged engine is available in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. It is rated at 259 horsepower (193 kW), making it one of the most power-dense automotive engines in the industry.

A twin-scroll turbocharger generates up to 20 pounds of boost, helping the engine optimize power delivery across the rpm band. It also produces a broad and robust torque curve, delivering 90 percent of the peak 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm) from 1,500 rpm to 5,800 rpm – giving the Malibu Turbo a great feeling of power on demand.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Sep/0920_malibu_turbo_eng.html

hazrd
28th October 2012, 04:51 PM
I think I got one photo of this thing at the motorshow. Looked alright although they had it locked and no one was able to get into it (much like most of their cars at the stand)

Red AH SRI T
29th October 2012, 09:22 AM
Malibu....looks OK, but is it still a Daewoo underneath?

Although I havent driven the Cruise myself, every other Daewoo (and heap-of-poo based car - Epica....blleeeeggghhh) that I have ever had the misfortune to be behind the wheel of, has been among the biggest piles of shit ever created (and I've driven a Lada....).

If its Opel/Vauxhall based, I'll give it a look. Maybe even if its Chev based. But if Daewoo - not going anywhere near it. Made (assembled) in Oz or not.

Edit: Did a quick search, and guess what; its a Daewoo. Only made in the USA and Bupyeong, South Korea - so guess where the RHD versions are comming from.

So lokks like its an Insignia on the shopping list then - lets hope we get the OPC version.

http://www.opel-australia.com.au/vehicles/opel-range/cars/insignia-4-door/index.html

Its built on the same platform as the Insignia, so it aint a Daewoo

Jonski
29th October 2012, 10:51 AM
i remember seeing this 2 years ago on the road in California.. it was also at the motorshow last week.

JohnBu
29th October 2012, 02:21 PM
I think I got one photo of this thing at the motorshow. Looked alright although they had it locked and no one was able to get into it (much like most of their cars at the stand)

Pretty silly to have it locked.... they may have won a few people over with the interiors.

poita
29th October 2012, 02:30 PM
All of the Holdens where locked.

People where crawling all over $2-300k cars and they locked $60k taxis :facepalm:

sooty
29th October 2012, 02:44 PM
Didn't want anyone to feel the cheap shit plastics

hazrd
29th October 2012, 05:38 PM
Didn't want anyone to feel the cheap shit plastics

The SV6 "Z Series" was unlocked so we got plenty of shit plastic feeling time in :lol:

Wraith
30th October 2012, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, I like the interior it's very Opel-ish but not really a fan of the look it exterior wise rear looks like some bastardised Camaro thingy ?? and front end looks too much like a current Cruze...

Just reading through the posts there's a mention of it being a Daewoo (God I hope not) what is it then Opel or Daewoo ??

If it is to go up against the new Mazda 6 it'd have to be pretty special to even cause a slight dent in sales over that vehicle...can't see it happening :(

rjastra
30th October 2012, 08:45 PM
If it is to go up against the new Mazda 6 it'd have to be pretty special to even cause a slight dent in sales over that vehicle...can't see it happening :(

Unless of course the Mazda is expensive. Someone reported that the Mazda 6 diesel GT was a mid 50K car on road.

Just reading through the posts there's a mention of it being a Daewoo (God I hope not) what is it then Opel or Daewoo ??

It was mainly designed for the US market. It's built in several locations around the world.

hazrd
30th October 2012, 08:50 PM
For a Mazda?! :eek:

poita
30th October 2012, 09:58 PM
They are $43k + on roads.

Wraith
31st October 2012, 12:41 PM
Unless of course the Mazda is expensive. Someone reported that the Mazda 6 diesel GT was a mid 50K car on road.

It was mainly designed for the US market. It's built in several locations around the world.

Thanks for the clarification rj.

The new Mazda 6 is going to be a major step up from the current vehicle, that price range for upper variants is not surprising...

For a Mazda?! :eek:

Alot of the Mazda range are segment leaders, as above the Malibu has to be priced accordingly to effectively compete against that kind of competition...

They are $43k + on roads.

Sounds similar to the current Mazda 6 upper spec price point...

rjastra
31st October 2012, 06:29 PM
This from the Mazda site - the prize promotion. Top model in range.

7. The prize is a new Mazda6 2.2L Diesel GT Sedan motor vehicle including accessories as determined by the Promoter. The prize includes all on-road costs (dealer delivery and statutory charges, 12 months’ registration and stamp duty). The prize does not include comprehensive insurance or any other accessories not specified.
9. The total prize pool is valued at approximately $56,000AU (inc GST).

So they are pitching this car at the VW Passat etc and moving it upmarket just like the CX5.

I think the Malibu will significantly undercut the Mazda 6 in any spec level. But, I don't think the Malibu will be as good a car (does it need to be?)

The trick will be to see how the Mazda 6 fairs against the upcoming Honda Accord. All reports are that the new Accord is back to being a proper Honda. The new direct injection 2.4L is supposed to be a beauty.

poita
31st October 2012, 07:24 PM
I like how you left out the rest of that article and only copied the info over that suited you.

Vectracious
31st October 2012, 07:32 PM
You mean this disclaimer?

Changes in prize value

17. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any variation in prize value. Where a prize is unavailable for any reason, the Promoter may substitute for that prize another item of equal or higher value as determined by the Promoter, subject to the approval of the gaming authorities in each state and territory, where required.

Wraith
1st November 2012, 12:44 PM
I think rj was concerned with just trying to get the price point of the new Mazda 6 top spec to compare with the price point of the new Malibu, but as said if the Malibu is not in competion with the Mazda 6 range ?? then it dosn't matter...

I still don't see exactly what market segment this model is in, will be interesting to see how well or not it ends up selling...

Red AH SRI T
2nd November 2012, 08:17 PM
i remember seeing this 2 years ago on the road in California.. it was also at the motorshow last week.

Two years ago you would have seen the old model Malibu. This model only came out this year.