7th February 2004, 10:41 PM
new astra H 1.8 0-100 time -

manual 10.8
auto 11.9 (s)

the figures speak for themselves. the current 1.8 astra runs 0-100 in 9.2

what do you guys recon?!

Molky
8th February 2004, 09:12 AM
Which engine/body is that? Because there is a very large variety of engine / body combos available

01CDsedan
8th February 2004, 10:57 AM
Sounds like it must have porked up ala the Vectra C - Astra G in Aus trim weighs about 1160kg - with those performance figures I'm thinking 1250kg or so?

(Presuming that's the same 92kW 1.8 that we have now, not some other lamer 1.8, or a diesel or something)

ultim8DTM5
8th February 2004, 11:11 AM
Big of a lard arse

01CDsedan
8th February 2004, 11:27 AM
Cars have been porking up significantly over the last few years though, mainly IMHO as a response to demands for greater safety and NVH. A Nissan Pulsar weighs 1250kg these days, and even a Barina SRi is bloody tubby for a car of its size. Compared to similar models from 10 years ago, today's models are easily 200kg heavier than their predecessors.

extralarge
8th February 2004, 12:00 PM
the figures are for a hatch, 1.8 engine (as stated in the first post)

even the new astra H 2.0 147kw turbo takes 8.2s from 0-100

it is probable from a weight gain, but id have imaged they would have tuned it or put a larger engine in the base models to offset the extra equipment and extra metal..

rjastra
8th February 2004, 04:34 PM
1. Where did the figures come from?
2. Where did the figures for the Astra G come from.

Unless the cars were compared side by side then they really don't tell you much

ultim8DTM5
8th February 2004, 06:23 PM
Barina XC: 1040kg kerb weight :lol:

extralarge
8th February 2004, 08:14 PM
rjastra - figures from opel.de's own specification sheets. manufacturer's specs on times are usually rather generous too (ie. stated times are much shorter than real times).

astra g from motor and wheel magazine, and a few online sites. these are likely more reliable figures as they are in real world conditions.

either way, seems like the new astra gonna be some slow tank compared to its predecessor. given the extra size and many added features but the same engine, it is likely so..

01CDsedan
9th February 2004, 08:10 AM
With some luck, and some foresight from Holden, it may be that we will see the 2.2 litre engine available in more cars, or perhaps even a 2.0 litre engine from the same family as the current 1.8 - that would help to neutralise the extra pork.

Personally, I've been saying ever since the SRi came out that the 2.2 needed to be made available in the 5 door and sedan, like it is elsewhere in the world.

extralarge
9th February 2004, 01:12 PM
bigger engine = price hike especially considering the forcasted price the new astra are going to be at.

like the difference between the 1.8 and 2.2 engine in australia is already at least 3k difference..

wont be too many people out there willing to pay the already premium price + 3k..

01CDsedan
10th February 2004, 09:53 AM
The 2.2 can't cost $3k more to make than the 1.8 - Holden could offer it for less if they chose to.

Hopefully the Astra won't go the way of the Vectra - high prices, duller performance, lower sales.

imay
10th February 2004, 02:14 PM
Hey, 01CD. The Mazda3 costs more than the 323 it replaces. The new VW Golf is going to cost more than the model it replaces. What chance is do you really reckon there is that Holden is going to keep the cost of the new Astra at the same (or less) than the current model. Get real!
Totally new car, with more bits, more electronics, more chassis/suspension control modules, etc., etc. I predict the current Astra CDX price will be close to the base model of the new Astra. And I'd be even more surprised if Holden specified anything other than the current rumored engines (i.e. 1.8 and maybe a 2.0Turbo later). Anyone got any more recent info?
As nice as it may be, I reckon the majority of people on this site will be hanging on to their "G" model for a while longer. It would be interesting to hear from anyone planning to upgrade as soon as the "H" hits our shores.
Ian.

Dregger
10th February 2004, 05:48 PM
i would if i could afford it

Anonymous
10th February 2004, 05:50 PM
few more mods and i'll be quicker hehehe

01CDsedan
11th February 2004, 07:56 AM
Hey imay,
Hold on for a moment and take a look at what I wrote - I didn't suggest that Holden would have the new Astra at the same price or a lower price than today's model. Obviously there will be an increase. What I am worried about is that they will do a Vectra on it, which means (at least in the case of the Vectra four) that the price will go up to an unrealistic level - ie, above that of its competitors and well above that of the old model, the performance will go down thanks to the extra weight, and sales will suffer accordingly. The Vectra's added equipment hasn't helped its sales, but its recent price cut has.

What I was getting at is that the $3k or so price premium for the 2.2 litre engine is an artificial premium that doesn't reflect actual production costs, and this premium could be reduced if Holden were prepared to sacrifice a little per-unit profit for greater sales overall.

If the current CDX price becomes the new base model price, then Astra sales will crash spectacularly - Astras starting at $27-28k? I hope not. I'd expect things to kick off at about $22-23k for the equivalent of today's City 4/5 door. Any more than that, and Holden's competitors will clean up.

rjastra
11th February 2004, 10:28 AM
I'd expect things to kick off at about $22-23k for the equivalent of today's City 4/5 door. Any more than that, and Holden's competitors will clean up.

Look to the Mazda3 to get an idea of what the pricing regime maybe like.

$21500-$22000 for a base model.
$25-26K for the upspec model (CD)
$30K for the topspec (large engine) model (SRI/CDX)