PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S or Galaxy S II???

Vectracious
24th March 2011, 11:33 PM
Hmm - S II out later in the year but from all reports that I am reading - will probably be pretty Exxy

Galaxy S is out on a $49 Telstra plan with a $16 handset repayment to bring it up to $65/month (but will probably get it cheaper because I'll whinge to the business accounts people)

Looks like from a lot of reports also that Samsung will also release a 2.3 update to the Galaxy S anyway. As these phones are both bigger than my current BB - would like to go for the smaller option of the two. Not going BB again because the only phone I would get in their range is the Torch and it is too exxy on $100+ plans.

Only HTC worth getting with Telstra is the Desire - Desire HD not available with T and you've only got 120MB of space on the Desire for apps, etc to install.

Still have 5 months left on contract with Optus but yesterday had to walk out of the store 3 times to get some decent reception so I can talk to the people who rang me - am sick of the crap Optus call quality out in Berwick as well.

I know Galaxy S II has a bigger processor etc etc - but played with a Galaxy S in the T shop for a while on Wednesday and its not slow by any means - in fact my BB is starting to lag more than the Galaxy S lately and I think its quick for a phone.....

poita
24th March 2011, 11:39 PM
does the BB you have do what you need it to do (besides crappy optus reception) ?

if so then you will be very pleased with the galaxy s

yer fair enough the galaxy s II is coming out at the end of the year, maybe sooner

but are you going to take advantage of the extra processing power and graphics ability?

tbh i dont think you will

Vectracious
24th March 2011, 11:44 PM
does the BB you have do what you need it to do (besides crappy optus reception) ?

if so then you will be very pleased with the galaxy s

yer fair enough the galaxy s II is coming out at the end of the year, maybe sooner

but are you going to take advantage of the extra processing power and graphics ability?

tbh i dont think you will

thats what I'm thinking. I'm not going to play FIFA on my phone - as long as I can view a video it's all I need.

BB is great - except it doesnt handle gmail IMAP very well (which is what I use as my business email address) - I'm assuming going with an android handset will take care of that problem.

The other thing that lets the BB down is the apps available - heaps of health apps and business apps that I can use on the Android (and Apple) app stores - BB has jack sh*t. A colleague was showing me how he could log into his stores security camera's on an app on his Android - not to mention his Bank etc etc etc - none of what he could do I can do on the BB because the apps suck.

poita
24th March 2011, 11:48 PM
it will do it no worries at all mate :)

and something else it does, wether you need it or not. android has an app that turns the phone into a wifi hotspot.

so if you have your laptop out and about you can use your phone instead of a 3g broadband stick.

just another cool thing it does ;)

and yer android being googles little baby it does gmail very very well, which you'd bloody hope so

Vectracious
24th March 2011, 11:51 PM
and something else it does, wether you need it or not. android has an app that turns the phone into a wifi hotspot.

so if you have your laptop out and about you can use your phone instead of a 3g broadband stick.

definitely handy - when we're away can just use the data allowance on the phone plan rather than pay for it on the 3G stick.

poita
24th March 2011, 11:56 PM
exactly mate.

the data plans you are getting with phones are pretty good now. even the middle range ones are getting 2/3gb a month

and your doing pretty well to use it on a phone

one less contract, one less bill

hazrd
25th March 2011, 04:23 PM
just buy an iphone.......... sorry, i couldnt help myself, ill do you the honours -> :nutkick:

in all seriousness mate... a big +1 on the galaxy s... bloody awesome looking phone, and quick to boot. and as god has already said, will suit your application just fine!!

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 04:58 PM
just buy an iphone.......... sorry, i couldnt help myself, ill do you the honours -> :nutkick:

to be honest - was expecting more of these types of idiotic comments :p

Ice
25th March 2011, 05:46 PM
cant you go on an optus plan ?

they have deals for $50 and no repayments on the phone. Im tipping your going to give me a reason why your sticking with telstra so

A: tell them to shove their ridiculous handset charge or threaten to go elsewhere.
B: You will want atleast 1 gig of data
C: some kind of call cap.

i am on a $59 business plan, 2 gig data and $550 worth of calls, free sms to all carriers and free calls to other optus handsets.
Im tipping you dont sms that much and then there is also google talk. If you will be emailing alot then anything less will probably not suffice. You can also setup as many email accounts as you wish on your handset.

now to the phone. even with the current froyo i think you will love it and yes gingerbread is quicker again as i have a developers beta rom buts its not a reason to change your mind about a handset. Ahhh not sure where you got these reviews about the new Galaxy II because i dont think there is anything bad about it at all.

- It comes with a dual core so itll be faster,
- better camera and a flash this time, not that this is of a primary concern to you
- memory storage will be even greater
- bigger screen, FULL HIGH DEF and clarity will be even better than the current model
- access to all the apps you could think of and while apple still has more, most of them are duplicates and im not really sure your that fussed about games.
- Ease of use with a windows computer, its just plug and play, no crappy i-tunes
-Internet with flash and no broken down web pages like a mobile facebook or mobile age newspaper etc. You can have that or you can view it on your phone as if your on your home pc.

all the people who say or rate it badly simply dont have any idea as it hasnt been released yet and any test version they have will not be a final replica of the real thing

Pete you could also look into the 9800 blackberry which comes with a touchscreen and slide out keyboard however since rolling these out at work, i have heard that apart from the expected crappy battery life (who cares since you can charge it every night anyway), it lags and is way to heavy and when typing on the keypad it feels over balanced, in other words it doesnt feel comfortable in your hands.

hazrd
25th March 2011, 06:03 PM
Optus has bloody awesome plans, dont get me wrong there, but their coverage is absolutely shithouse unless you live within about 30kms from the city, any further and it turns to shit pretty much :(

The closer to the city, the more chance you have of using the 2100mhz network... the further out, 850-900mhz (depending on the phone) and its not the best!

iirc (correct me here otherwise) but T have more towers on 2100mhz than optus (i think?) hence the better coverage

poita
25th March 2011, 07:42 PM
Next G uses 850mhz Adz ;)

And yer optus plans are heaps better, if you can find an area to actually use your phone :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 08:56 PM
a novel

Nope - never going Optus again - as Adam said - get 30km out of the city and the coverage drops to just a bit above crap - and as I spend a lot of my time in Berwick - i need a carrier who provides decent coverage out there - I have used my phone then put a T SIM in and used it again and the difference is chalk and cheese - I'm willing to pay a little more and get 1G of data instead of 2 for that.

I havent read anything negative about the S II at all - just that all the carriers will most likely bring it out on an expensive plan because they can. And for the difference in specs between the two - the S will be more than enough for what I use it for.

Definitely email more than SMS but even at $400 a month of calls that will be enough. When I'm at work I use the work phones to make calls because we are on an epic deal with Telstra for that. I get 500 worth of calls at the moment with Optus and have only ever gone over that once in 15 months.

Deal breaker with the BB is the app situation - which i've already whinged about in a post further up. Had a look at Android market last night and 10 things that I thought of that I would use if I got a Galaxy all had an App - BB had 1 (which I have installed on my phone already). It's a shame because I am going to miss the Calendar and Contact management of the BB

Optus has bloody awesome plans, dont get me wrong there, but their coverage is absolutely shithouse unless you live within about 30kms from the city, any further and it turns to shit pretty much :(

Exactly - they must compensate for the rubbish coverage with better deals on handsets. As I already said - the thing that did it for me was on Tuesday I had to walk out of the shop 3 times to get some decent reception to talk to whoever called me - and I know its not the phone because I've got about 3 old handsets here at home which I have tried out at the shop and they are all the same - put our T pre-paid card in and they work 300% better. Stav actually has two phones because where she works in Monash Medical Centre she gets no signal at all on her Optus SIM, however with the T prepaid phone I got her so she could be contactable on the mobile at work - she gets a full signal.......... hence why I'm going back to Telstra.

CNBLU
25th March 2011, 09:12 PM
Samsung Galaxy S FTW!!!

poita
25th March 2011, 09:17 PM
to be honest - was expecting more of these types of idiotic comments :p

wait for ROCCO to see this

On a side note Pete, I know it's a PITA but Optus do have a 30 Day Coverage Satisfaction , so if it isn't good enough they will can your contract.

Just the pain of having to redo another contract with another carrier.

sorry, my bad. thats only for new customers, not existing

ROCCO
25th March 2011, 10:37 PM
Seen it wait for iPhone 5 in June then make ur decision

poita
25th March 2011, 10:46 PM

try running a business without a mobile phone for 3 months ;)

the main calendar software wont change that much anyway.

dont get me wrong, i cant fukin wait for the iphone 5!

but for pete's application it's not suitable

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 10:52 PM

does the iphone 5 send calendar appointments to people directly and not use bloatware like iTunes to sync to a PC?

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 10:56 PM
try running a business without a mobile phone for 3 months ;)

the main calendar software wont change that much anyway.

dont get me wrong, i cant fukin wait for the iphone 5!

but for pete's application it's not suitable

I live by my calendar on the phone - we share appointments via outlook etc left right and centre - my two business partners have to enter everything in seperately into their iphones because it invariably f*cks up when it goes via itunes. One of them actually gave up and just bought a paper diary because it was quicker. All I need to do is press accept on my BB or Outlook once and it syncs everywhere immediately. You can have 2 billion apps in the appstore for all I care - if it cant do a task as simple as a calendar then I'm not interested....

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 11:01 PM
I've just been having a look at what other ways you can sync the calendar on the iphone with outlook or google calendar - and it requires all kinds of apps and workarounds and payment for utilities - something that should be simple just seems way too hard..

poita
25th March 2011, 11:12 PM
I sync mine with my work calendar, it uses outlook. But it's also set up on exchange

Vectracious
25th March 2011, 11:16 PM
I sync mine with my work calendar, it uses outlook. But it's also set up on exchange

dont have exchange because they are seperate small businesses - but with the BB and Android phones, just sends your appointment directly from phone through your email to whichever attendee you've selected....

Bloodnok
25th March 2011, 11:19 PM
I've just been having a look at what other ways you can sync the calendar on the iphone with outlook or google calendar - and it requires all kinds of apps and workarounds and payment for utilities - something that should be simple just seems way too hard..

And it gets better. Don't like apple's calendar app? On any other device, you could just get a better calendar app. One that does what you want. But not on an iOS device. Apple don't allow that - it's "duplicating apple functionality", and they won't let you put an app that does that on their store. And they won't let you sell it or even give it away via any other channels either. And it doesn't matter that it's doing things the inbuilt calendar app can't even dream of - it's a calendar, ergo you can't do that.

This is the reason I will never buy an iOS product. If I buy a computing device, I want to choose what I install on it, and from where. And if I don't like some default app for something, I want to be able to get an alternative.

Ice
26th March 2011, 01:03 AM
Pete, I think a Galaxy S will suite you fine mate. The Galaxy ll is atleast 6 months away and as you said will come in on a high plan which most likely won't suit you. Any advice or help you need on the phone just ask :)

Sent from my Handy

ROCCO
26th March 2011, 11:38 PM
Hey Pete found this site that might interest you seeing your a business owner:

http://www.phonechoice.com.au/index.cfm?Section=Home

See i'm not just a apple fan boi :-)

Vectracious
27th March 2011, 12:21 AM

hahahah - cool site - will check it out tomorrow :)

greatorex4130
14th April 2011, 08:40 PM
i have a HTC legend With Vodafone , nothing but problems since the 2.2 update for it !
it used to run like a dream with 2.1 .....

i recommend to stay away from HTC to be honest .. my mate has a desire HD with 2.2 and it has reset problems !
my brother in law has a Galaxy S , its a sweet phone ! if u disable everything like gps wifi 3g etc , it can even last up to 2 days with out recharging AMAZING
seeing my phone lasts like 6 hours till it needs a charge !

im waiting for the Galaxy S 2 to be honest :)
dual core BABY !! and a gig of ram SEXY !!

ROCCO
14th April 2011, 09:10 PM
or just go Apple and get a freaking Iphone FFS

poita
14th April 2011, 09:13 PM

or just go Apple and get a freaking Iphone FFS

:facepalm2: :rolleyes5:

gmonkey
14th April 2011, 09:22 PM
the iphone fad is dead! Looking at who buys them still lately it seems to be only either older ladys, teenyboppers and those emo/metro/apple fanboys... Android is the future, people like cheap apps, connectivity to multiple friggen computers not just one and when you do plug it into another you have to remove all your music argh! Oh and people seem to like the idea of durability, i had a 3GS and that was fragile as F*Ck, thinking it couldnt get much worse they release the 4 and its worse!!

As ive said before the only good thing about the iphone is the fact it can be jailbroken :P

Sent From My Ipad Using Tapatalk.. (Yeh right bahahahhahahahha)

Vectracious
14th April 2011, 09:33 PM
As ive said before the only good thing about the iphone is the fact it can be jailbroken :P

Isn't jailbreaking an iFail the same as rooting and Android phone (not that kind of rooting guy :p )

I've completely forgotten about my phone as theres been a whole lot of other stuff come up recently that has taken my attention away from it, and most likely will take my attention for the next few months - so for now the BB will stay and will look at this again probably in July sometime - I'll prob still get the Galaxy S if its still available as it seems to do everything I need it to do - although hopefully by that stage Samsung would have released a 2.3 update for it which they seem to have been promising for a long time now...

gmonkey
14th April 2011, 09:35 PM
thing is an android phone doesnt need to be rooted an iphone to become usable however does :p

poita
14th April 2011, 09:37 PM
Isn't jailbreaking an iFail the same as rooting and Android phone (not that kind of rooting guy :p )

I've completely forgotten about my phone as theres been a whole lot of other stuff come up recently that has taken my attention away from it, and most likely will take my attention for the next few months - so for now the BB will stay and will look at this again probably in July sometime - I'll prob still get the Galaxy S if its still available as it seems to do everything I need it to do - although hopefully by that stage Samsung would have released a 2.3 update for it which they seem to have been promising for a long time now...

XDA has the root for it to run 2.3

Brady (ex-god) has it on his, and OMFG its bloody quick.

So many improvements, in the overall running of it.

I'm almost swayed myself tbh

Vectracious
14th April 2011, 09:39 PM
thing is an android phone doesnt need to be rooted an iphone to become usable however does :p

HAHAHAHAH - love it :D

yep - will definitely look into that when I get one (and an official update hasnt been released)

Ice
14th April 2011, 10:10 PM

I have had it for a while now. Check out Darky's rom 9.5 http://www.darkyrom.com/

i dont get any lag and battery life has also been improved. AND !!!!!! no Optus bloatware.

poita
14th April 2011, 10:13 PM
i think thats the one he uses, vastly improved.

poita
25th April 2011, 07:20 PM
Pete I know you do have a dislike for the fruit variety, but there is a vastly improved calendar system now.

The only downfall to it, it will cost you $99 a year.

It's part of mobileme, some more info here for you -> http://www.apple.com/mobileme/news/

dieselhead
25th April 2011, 07:54 PM
Using a Defy atm, very happy with it. Should serve me well while waiting for this little Tassie Devil :)

Samsung will build a 2GHz dual core smartphone

Read more: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2044444/samsung-build-2ghz-dual-core-smartphone#ixzz1KWkXQLe1
The Inquirer - Computer hardware news and downloads. Visit the download store today. (http://store.theinquirer.net/)

poita
25th April 2011, 07:57 PM
yer i saw that the other day. fukin insane

this is why netbooks will die (and are already) and phones/tablets will take there place

dieselhead
25th April 2011, 08:31 PM
That's right, all you need is a phone like this with two docking stations, one at work and one home. I will buy one from UK as soon as it becomes available.

Ice
25th April 2011, 08:54 PM
The only downfall to it, it will cost you $99 a year.

you have to pay $99 a year ??????? boy have they got some nerve...Not only are the tablets way over priced they want to charge $99 for a calendar app.....pffft !

dieselhead
25th April 2011, 08:59 PM
What's wrong with Google Calendar? Working a treat in sync with work Exchange and is free. $99 a year is robbery, plain and simple!

poita
25th April 2011, 09:03 PM
you have to pay $99 a year ??????? boy have they got some nerve...Not only are the tablets way over priced they want to charge $99 for a calendar app.....pffft !

its not just for the calendar, its part of the mobileme suite.

Vectracious
25th April 2011, 10:39 PM
$99/yr is pretty steep - especially since Google calendar is free.

poita
25th April 2011, 11:10 PM
Like I said, it's not just a calendar, it's a full package.

In saying that I still think it should be fukin free!

Vectracious
25th April 2011, 11:41 PM
Like I said, it's not just a calendar, it's a full package.

In saying that I still think it should be fukin free!

everything of which (apart from the find my iPhone) is offered by Google and MS for free. Yes, theres a couple of things you would need to do manually (eg contacts management) but still doable on the cheap.

nick_sixx
7th May 2011, 11:36 AM
Cant wait for SGS2 - I have been holding out for it for months!

JohnBu
7th May 2011, 11:55 AM
I can't wait to play with the SG2, my contract finishes in 5 months.

God damn, the 1 is $29 on an Optus cap plan.

poita
7th May 2011, 12:54 PM
God damn, the 1 is $29 on an Optus cap plan.

yer changed yesterday

Wraecca
7th May 2011, 02:44 PM
I have an S, with the upgrades, and I love it...Android allows you to get a bunch of apps that apple won't...it looks good, is lightweight, and the best part is that when the iPhone 4 f*cked up when it was first distributed, over in Europe they were replacing them with the S...and didn't get any complaints!!!

poita
7th May 2011, 03:03 PM
Melynda you need to put on Darky's Boot Rom ;)

nick_sixx
18th May 2011, 09:51 AM
May 26th is the official SGS2 launch, with the phone becoming available early june.

http://androidos.in/2011/05/samsung-launching-galaxy-s2-in-australia-on-may-26/

ROCCO
7th June 2011, 04:23 PM
One of the guys at work just got an s2 I have to say I prefer it over the iPhone

Vectracious
7th June 2011, 08:49 PM
One of the guys at work just got an s2 I have to say I prefer it over the iPhone

http://latenightmistakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Dramatic_looking_gopher.flv.jpeg

GTFO

hazrd
7th June 2011, 09:27 PM

+1

+2 from the missus aswell

poita
7th June 2011, 09:31 PM
had a play with one at work

*jizz*

also craps all over the lg optimus x2

Vectracious
7th June 2011, 09:46 PM
had a play with one at work

*jizz*

also craps all over the lg optimus x2

what plan are they on P1?

poita
7th June 2011, 09:51 PM
what plan are they on P1?

$0 on a $79 cap with optus.

$900 included value 3GB Data
Unlimited standard SMS and MMS to Australian GSM mobiles (excl. Pivotel)
Unlimited access within Australia to Facebook®, Twitter®, LinkedIn, MySpace, eBay and Foursquare within Australia

Vectracious
7th June 2011, 09:55 PM
$0 on a $79 cap with optus.

$900 included value 3GB Data
Unlimited standard SMS and MMS to Australian GSM mobiles (excl. Pivotel)
Unlimited access within Australia to Facebook®, Twitter®, LinkedIn, MySpace, eBay and Foursquare within Australia

does HN do Telstra as well?

hazrd
7th June 2011, 09:55 PM
we have them on the corporate plan through work

$0 phone, $79 plan - 7gb data, the rest, unlimited everything

poita
7th June 2011, 09:58 PM
does HN do Telstra as well?

nah they dont anymore, only optus

Vectracious
8th June 2011, 09:13 PM
Well - ended up getting a HTC desire s. Long story short could get the HTC today, got a better deal on it from Telstra and to be honest I like the size of it better than the Samsung. Is pretty quick and feels nice and solid.

I know I could have waited another month for galaxy s 2 but after having useless Optus reception stuff me around yesterday I had to port over to Telstra today.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

poita
8th June 2011, 09:23 PM
another month?

wtf

we have them sitting on the shelf at work

hazrd
8th June 2011, 10:00 PM
still a top phone imo

HTC Desire S ftw

Vectracious
8th June 2011, 10:55 PM
another month?

wtf

Optus signed some sort of exclusivity deal so only they had it for June or something like that.

still a top phone imo

HTC Desire S ftw

It does what I need it to do (although the calendar synching is a bit weird - needs to be done through Google calendar rather than directly through outlook but that is fine - just means I have a backup in the "cloud"

Ice
8th June 2011, 11:22 PM
while it won't be as good as the new galaxy spec wise, I'm sure it'll never let you down. Not sure if there are any apps that take full advantage of the dual core cpu in any case.

Sent from my GT-I9000 (DarkyRom_10.1) using Tapatalk

Vectracious
9th June 2011, 12:37 AM
while it won't be as good as the new galaxy spec wise, I'm sure it'll never let you down. Not sure if there are any apps that take full advantage of the dual core cpu in any case.

Sent from my GT-I9000 (DarkyRom_10.1) using Tapatalk

thats basically how I thought as well - for my purposes a phone running a 1GHz processor like this one does is enough for what I'm going to use it for.

nick_sixx
9th June 2011, 12:52 AM
apple is currently doing wwmc or whatever...i wonder if iphone 4s/5 specs will be given? I owned a 3GS and while it was a good phone (once jailbroken of course), I have so far preferred android.

However, ios5 is being released soon, which looks to have pretty much every feature that android does. I'm so sick of waiting for a new phone though!

Vectracious
10th June 2011, 02:27 PM
Well am loving this phone and Android more and more. Not sure if Samsung has widgets or its a HTC thing but they are unbelievably useful. The touch screen keyboard is taking a bit of time to get used to but at least autocorrect is mostly on the ball on this phone. Battery is average compared to my blackberry but ill get close to two days out of a full charge.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

JohnBu
10th June 2011, 04:08 PM
another month?

wtf

Hi Peter,

They available on the Telstra network?

I've been with Optus for 14 years, but their reception has been terrible, so switching over to Telstra.

poita
10th June 2011, 09:23 PM
no sure sorry john, i only do optus

hazrd
10th June 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi Peter,

They available on the Telstra network?

I've been with Optus for 14 years, but their reception has been terrible, so switching over to Telstra.

not until next month :(

http://ausdroid.net/2011/05/26/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-hitting-telstra-in-july/

nick_sixx
20th June 2011, 03:17 PM
Just got the SGS2 today....it is incredible. I have had an iphone 3gs, blackberry 9650, HTC Desire Z, and this is better than all combined. Screen and speed are amazing! I just got 3300 in quadrant...

dieselhead
20th June 2011, 07:26 PM
How about HTC Sensation (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2079175/htc-sensation-review/page/2)? Same speed as S2 if less RAM, but the screen seems to be better and the battery lasts quite a bit longer. Same price as Samsung's weapon, too.

nick_sixx
20th June 2011, 09:58 PM
How about HTC Sensation (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2079175/htc-sensation-review/page/2)? Same speed as S2 if less RAM, but the screen seems to be better and the battery lasts quite a bit longer. Same price as Samsung's weapon, too.

Battery wasnt an issue for me, as I charge my phone nightly anyway. Mugen Power will bring out a 1800mah+ battery soon enough anyway. The s2 doesnt have the highest resolution screen, but the super amoled plus (biggest wank name) display is, for lack of a better word, breathtaking. Colours are so so vibrant without beein cartoon-ish.

Also just changed from an HTC Desire Z....biggest piece of shit ever. Broke within 3 months

dieselhead
20th June 2011, 10:22 PM
I'm definitely pissed off now. My Defy, otherwise a decent phone, failed to play a 720p divX today. I really wanted to watch Ray Kurzweil's vision of the future (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendent_Man_%28film%29) while sweating on the elliptical at the gym tonight... Need dual core power, no doubt! Do I wait for 2 GHz or settle for 1.2 GHZ, that is the question :D

nick_sixx
21st June 2011, 12:42 AM
considering most small laptops (ie <12") are only using ~1.5ghz, I think it is suffice to say that 1.2 on a phone is quite a lot haha. Ive come from using an 800MHZ processor overclocked to 1.4GHZ, and the SGS2 absolutely kills it! (ARM 9 i think...?)

KingOfAstras
23rd June 2011, 11:40 PM
SGII certainly is the best phone I've ever had and used. I've just traded up the iPhone 4. The flexibility of Android is beyond anything iOS can offer, even when jailbroken. The Dual-Core processor shines, there is no lag!

After loading the Villain ROM, the battery life is even better than stock! Makes me love the phone more and more :-)... Highly recommended!

Vectracious
5th July 2011, 04:23 PM
Business partner just picked up his SG2 - I'm actually glad I got the Desire S - the Galaxy 2 is just a little too big for a phone. Screen is beautiful and its very quick, but for what I use a phone for - I don't need dual core and I don't need a screen that big.

Also feels a bit flimsy.

dieselhead
5th July 2011, 05:22 PM
Had a look at SG2 today. Not impressed with the screen, too blue whites for my liking. Don't think it looks $800 like, either...

gmonkey
6th July 2011, 02:06 AM
co-worker bought one after having a S1... he was obsessed with doing quadrant benchmarks and overclocking his s1, best he scored was 1300 roughly, tried his fresh outta box s2 and got 3000 score or so! insane power but me thinks like most computers will just get slower and slower, im far from an iphone fan but must say my 3gs has stayed the same speed/lag since i bought it... and have gone back to it from my xperia (only cause xperia is peice shit and was given up on) yet now im thinking of buying an xperia play now finally has gingerbread and 2.3

nick_sixx
6th July 2011, 11:34 AM
co-worker bought one after having a S1... he was obsessed with doing quadrant benchmarks and overclocking his s1, best he scored was 1300 roughly, tried his fresh outta box s2 and got 3000 score or so! insane power but me thinks like most computers will just get slower and slower, im far from an iphone fan but must say my 3gs has stayed the same speed/lag since i bought it... and have gone back to it from my xperia (only cause xperia is peice shit and was given up on) yet now im thinking of buying an xperia play now finally has gingerbread and 2.3

If you like sony then you should look at the Arc...its meant to be the best one so far. If the phone slows down then it can most likely be solved by backing up data, then doing a factory reset. Also, gingerbread IS 2.3

poita
6th July 2011, 04:12 PM
Arc feels awesome, waiting for a demo unit so I can see how the OS is

dglewis80
6th July 2011, 05:20 PM
I bet its full of Sony bloatware!

hazrd
6th July 2011, 10:32 PM

??

poita
6th July 2011, 10:34 PM

Nothng a flashed from from xda developers won't fix ;)

nick_sixx
7th July 2011, 04:05 PM
??

Like if you buy a Dell computer and it has all crappy Dell software on it, as well as standard windows

Nurb608
7th July 2011, 04:11 PM
and have gone back to it from my xperia (only cause xperia is peice shit and was given up on) yet now im thinking of buying an xperia play now finally has gingerbread and 2.3

The x10 will have 2.3 in the next 1/4. Wont get picnh and zoom or the colour upgrade though.

poita
7th July 2011, 04:54 PM
Just put Honeycomb on it and be done with it

dglewis80
7th July 2011, 04:57 PM
The x10 will have 2.3 in the next 1/4. Wont get picnh and zoom or the colour upgrade though.

The last time I put the updated Sony software on it it had the pinch zoom.

Then scrapped it and got a rom from XDA. Best thing you can do to the X10.

Nurb608
7th July 2011, 05:31 PM
The last time I put the updated Sony software on it it had the pinch zoom.

Then scrapped it and got a rom from XDA. Best thing you can do to the X10.

It's not a true pinch and zoom though.

hazrd
31st July 2011, 04:06 PM
Galaxy SII advertisement.... trippy as!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyMfpJh3h4A&

MAD-16V
14th August 2011, 06:35 PM
Thread Revived.

Any of you dudes with the Sammy S2 having troubles with it overheating?

I am going to go grab a new phone tomorrow and wanted the S2 - But so many people are complaining of extreme overheating / phone shutting down due to it.

Thinking of snatching up an LG Optimus Black.

poita
14th August 2011, 06:54 PM
Havent heard of anyone with that issue. Is it only one person or quite a few?

You could always run 'setcpu' on it and under clock it

hazrd
14th August 2011, 06:59 PM
id rather send it back to get looked at rather than underclock it and bandaid the issue :p

also have a look at the HTC Desire S. Also a nice phone. Vectracious on here has one and he loves it. AFAIK he hasnt had any dramas with it yet either

MAD-16V
14th August 2011, 07:06 PM
Havent heard of anyone with that issue. Is it only one person or quite a few?

You could always run 'setcpu' on it and under clock it

Many many people are having the issue - Just google Samsung S2 overheating.

Also many people just recommend running cpu / process killer apps to fix the issue - That's B.S - Especially on such an expensive device.

I can understand It getting warm due to it's very high specs - But getting so hot it has to be removed from your pocket / Or it shutting down when it gets past 70 Deg C to save the components from dying Sound's a little fishy.

Vectracious
15th August 2011, 12:52 AM
my business partner has an S2 - he has mentioned its gotten quite warm with use - but not so warm that its become uncomfortable to hold or caused the phone to shut down....

MAD-16V
16th August 2011, 06:07 PM
Got an Xperia Arc instead - It's amazing.

poita
16th August 2011, 06:14 PM
Set an Arc up on Sunday, was fairly impressed with it as well.

Let me know how it is after prolonged usage

nick_sixx
16th August 2011, 10:27 PM
my s2 gets pretty warm when multitasking furiously ie listening to music while swapping between texting/facebook/browser every minute or so...but never above 50 degrees or so, according to my battery monitor

dglewis80
17th August 2011, 08:46 AM
Got an Xperia Arc instead - It's amazing.

After the X10 I'll never be getting a Sony-Ericsson again!

poita
17th August 2011, 08:49 AM
the X10 is kinda like the HTC Diamond, or windows vista :lol:

dglewis80
17th August 2011, 09:18 AM
So better than Windows ME??

poita
17th August 2011, 09:31 AM
DOS 3.1 is better than ME

dglewis80
17th August 2011, 09:43 AM
:lol:

MAD-16V
29th August 2011, 10:42 AM
Set an Arc up on Sunday, was fairly impressed with it as well.

Let me know how it is after prolonged usage

Been about 2 weeks now - the device itself is amazing - I have come from an iphone 3g so it is a huge upgrade!.

The phone is very responsive to all touch inputs - the screen is simply amazing - using the technology borrowed from their bravia television sets - So sharp and clear.

Very thin and light - but the build quality feels really good in your hand - not cheap and plasticy.

The only gripes I would have with it are the very short battery life - on standby with all data / everything disabled you get about 3 - 4 days at best.
With wi-fi on and some mild use you will have to charge it the next day for sure.

This isn't a huge problem - But if you want a phone / device with a better battery life - This isn't the one for you.

And the camera button - As happy as I was that this device has a mechanical camera button ( with option to use touchscreen too ) it's just too hard to depress without shaking the whole thing around. - It's got a 2 stage shutter release like most modern cameras do - Focus on the 1st half press - and then it takes the shot on the 2nd half press - If this button was made slightly softer - it would be perfect.

Waiting for the updates coming soon that will enable usb device support / mouse / keyboard / gamepads - They are also releasing a small dock so that you can plug all the mentioned usb components into and then use the HDMI out on the phone to use it like a micro computer on your televisions big screen!

All in all I am extremely happy with the product and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Happy to answer any questions too.

nick_sixx
29th August 2011, 11:14 AM
Been about 2 weeks now - the device itself is amazing - I have come from an iphone 3g so it is a huge upgrade!.

The phone is very responsive to all touch inputs - the screen is simply amazing - using the technology borrowed from their bravia television sets - So sharp and clear.

Very thin and light - but the build quality feels really good in your hand - not cheap and plasticy.

The only gripes I would have with it are the very short battery life - on standby with all data / everything disabled you get about 3 - 4 days at best.
With wi-fi on and some mild use you will have to charge it the next day for sure.

This isn't a huge problem - But if you want a phone / device with a better battery life - This isn't the one for you.

And the camera button - As happy as I was that this device has a mechanical camera button ( with option to use touchscreen too ) it's just too hard to depress without shaking the whole thing around. - It's got a 2 stage shutter release like most modern cameras do - Focus on the 1st half press - and then it takes the shot on the 2nd half press - If this button was made slightly softer - it would be perfect.

Waiting for the updates coming soon that will enable usb device support / mouse / keyboard / gamepads - They are also releasing a small dock so that you can plug all the mentioned usb components into and then use the HDMI out on the phone to use it like a micro computer on your televisions big screen!

All in all I am extremely happy with the product and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone.

Happy to answer any questions too.

Lol at 3-4 days being "very short battery life".....if I use my SGS2 how it was intended to be used, i am lucky to get 10 hours out of it - pretty normal for a smartphone these days

Bloodnok
29th August 2011, 11:24 AM
Lol at 3-4 days being "very short battery life".....if I use my SGS2 how it was intended to be used, i am lucky to get 10 hours out of it - pretty normal for a smartphone these days

Yep, the days of being able to pick up the phone on Monday morning, use it all week, and return it to the charger Friday night are long gone. All in the pursuit of slim design...

MAD-16V
29th August 2011, 01:53 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear enough..

If I don't use the device at all and have all data turned off - I get 3 to 4 days at best.

If I make a couple of calls and check a few emails / SMS - Browse a few pages - listen to some music, The phone will be dead flat in way under 10 hours.