PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!

Manaz
17th March 2011, 12:06 AM
Hello all,

Thought I'd register here since there's a possibility that an Opel Insignia is on the radar for me now that Opel have announced they'll be selling cars here.

I've previously driven a Nissan (1988 Exa), Suzuki (1998 Baleno GTX), Subaru (MY02 RX Liberty), Holden/Opel (1.6L TR Astra I believe it was - the first of the Opel-based Astras that Holden imported), and my current car is a 2003 VW Bora V6 4Motion.

The Bora's starting to get a bit old now (though it's still in great condition and I do love driving it), and it's bordering on being too small for me (6'4" tall, wife not short either, we have two kids), and will need upgrading in the next year or two.

Current plan is to have a job in the next year or two that will allow me to package a car, and the Opel Insignia OPC ticks all the boxes for me - the Bora's based on a Haldex AWD system, so I'm aware of what they're capable of, the Bora has a 2.8L V6 in the nose (though it's not turbocharged, not that I haven't considered that..). I realise the Insignia's a bit bigger than a Bora, but the alternative upgrade was to a Passat R36 wagon (or whatever they replace it with in the upcoming model revision).

Keen at this stage to learn as much about the Insignia as I can - biggest question at this stage is what automatic gearbox they have, assuming an auto comes to Australia. I would prefer DSG over auto, and would likely choose manual over torque-converter auto despite the fact that would then mean my wife can't drive it - she can't drive the Bora anyway, she has a 2005 Outback 2.5i as the "family car" at present.

I've modded the Bora quite a bit (though starting to rationalise some of that now as I know I won't get return on investment if I sell the car with the mods - upgraded brakes, upgraded wheels, Haldex upgrade, coilovers, rear strut brace, etc). Hoping I won't need to do much to an Insignia OPC, though I am looking forward to the tunability of a good turbocharged engine... :)

Cheers all, looking forward to seeing what direction my automotive journey takes me in over the next year or so and beyond!

gmonkey
17th March 2011, 12:45 AM
for OPC variant your looking at 6speed manual only. as for other models its 6speed manual or 5speed auto.. dont think they bothered with CVT and DSG(just yet)

Twin turbo 2.8 V6 of the insignia is the engine of choice of course, the OPC one :P haha

gmonkey
17th March 2011, 12:46 AM
might like to add the 5speed is "semi-automatic" aka has +/- shifter in bottom left corner of standard P to 1

ChrisMaz
17th March 2011, 12:55 AM
Welcome.

Basically everything I know about the insignia is from members of the Vectra-c.com forum so here's my two cents.

Performance wise, go the OPC. Has the SAAB AWD system and an electronic LSD as standard.
The SAAB AWD system is standard on the 2.0T, 2.0 CDTi and the OPC. However as above, only the OPC gets the LSD.

Now there's a new Diesel that begins production this year which is the 2.0 BiTurbo CDTi, boosts the 2.0 output to around 140KW. (Still unsure whether this will replace the standard 2.0 CDTi or whether it will be sold side by side)

Then you've got the 2.8 N/A, 1.6 ecotec, 1.6 turbo, 1.8 ecotec. I doubt Opel would market these smaller 1.6-1.8L engines to an Australian market.

Problem is, Opel still haven't announced what models Australia will be receiving once they arrive, so probably wouldn't jump the gun too early on choosing what variant may tick the boxes.

gmonkey
17th March 2011, 01:02 AM
theres 2.0t in singapore and there pretty slow

hazrd
17th March 2011, 08:38 AM
Bora 4mo hey?
Once u buy the insignia, sell me your 4mo wheels :p

And welcome :)

metry
17th March 2011, 08:43 AM
welcome to oa mate. i hope we get the full OPC line here

Nurb608
17th March 2011, 08:43 AM
Welcome to the site!

btm
17th March 2011, 09:12 AM
howdy and welcome to the site!

Claire
17th March 2011, 09:18 AM
Hi and welcome :)

Manaz
18th March 2011, 09:57 PM
Pretty sure we'll get the OPC line given the graphic here:

http://www.opel-australia.com.au/

:)

And yeah, OPC all the way. The AWD system will I believe be the 4th gen Haldex (my car has 1st gen), as Saab had a lot of input into the development of it for Haldex. I seriously considered a rear diff for my car, so the factory inclusion of one on the OPC is fantastic.

And manual - sweet. The Bora V6 4Motion was manual only, I really don't mind having to share my car with my wife (she doesn't drive manual). That said, the VXR in the UK is definitely offered as an auto according the the Vauxhall website...