PDA

View Full Version : Selling Vic Plates

Hackstra
12th March 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi Guys,

I have recently retired my Astra for a 2006 Subaru WRX Wagon (I know, joining the dark side:emo:). The car came with Vic plates 06-WRX which will be of interest to the guys on the Subie club no doubt, just wondering if anyone knows the protocol for selling plates in Vic, ie: VicRoads forms/costs etc?

Cheers

Scott

hazrd
12th March 2011, 09:39 AM
im going back 10 years here lol, but when i got my personalised plates, they came with a transfer form. So incase i wanted to sell them (yeah right!!), I just fill out the form, and take it into vicroads and they transfer them across to the new owner

that reminds me - sooty got some personalised plates recently. he would be able to tell you if this form still comes with the plates. Otherwise they might have them at the counter at the office?

Wraith
12th March 2011, 09:45 AM
You can advertise them through any of the usual classifieds/car forums or sell them through Vic Roads...

They will always remain your property until you sell them or sign them over to either the RTA or someone else with the appropriate paper work (from Vic Roads) :)

I'd say try the Sube forums 1st, then if no luck put em up in the Trading Post etc. :)

You never know your luck, some plates sell for BIG money !!!

2002_XC
12th March 2011, 10:12 AM
I sold mine a couple of years back, if I remember correctly you can download the form on the net, fill in the details and take it in to vicroads. I don't remember any transfer fees, pretty sure I only paid for new plates

Hackstra
13th March 2011, 07:53 AM
I'd say try the Sube forums 1st, then if no luck put em up in the Trading Post etc. :)

You never know your luck, some plates sell for BIG money !!!

That's the thing, if I advertise on the Subie forum I'd have to name a price and I don't know how much demand there is for them, I don't want to insult the club by putting a massive figure on them expecting them to pay (I'm trying to make friends on those forums!) Yet again I don't want to sell them for a steal, I guess if I get back my transfer + plate fees ~$140 to go back to regular slim plates I'd be happy, but I was hoping ~$300 for them.

guy 27
13th March 2011, 12:15 PM
i've think anywhere up to the $400-$500 mark is a fair price.

i once had someone leave a note on my windscreen asking if i wanted to buy the plates Sri 22 for $800. i thought that was too over the top.

Wraith
14th March 2011, 10:46 PM
That's the thing, if I advertise on the Subie forum I'd have to name a price and I don't know how much demand there is for them, I don't want to insult the club by putting a massive figure on them expecting them to pay (I'm trying to make friends on those forums!) Yet again I don't want to sell them for a steal, I guess if I get back my transfer + plate fees ~$140 to go back to regular slim plates I'd be happy, but I was hoping ~$300 for them.

Just right it up as plates for sale for 'best offer' or best offer over min. reserve amount your seeking :)

You could always research other plates and how much they've sold for, info should be available from Vic Roads, Shannons and all the other selling classifieds...

Just to give you an idea a close friend of mine sold a set of custom 'date of birth year plates' ie. 4 digits for $55,000 :eek6: no joke...

And I've both seen and heard of several other custom plates being bought and sold for 6 figure sums...

The people who spend that much on those plates are rare, but there's alot of people out there who'll gladly pay the better part of 1k on say Euro plates which are now becoming very common, so someone may want to pay up to that amount on a custom combination which you may have on offer ??