PDA

View Full Version : Ipad 2 thoughts?

jastra
3rd March 2011, 10:00 AM
doesnt seem like there were many worthwile changes imo...
thoughts?
http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/

willhouse
3rd March 2011, 10:08 AM
The front facing camera would be good, i.e for skype. Cant see myself using the rear facing one a lot though. It would be easier to just use your phone camera, or normal camera rather than lugging an iPad around.
I suppose if you watch movies on it, the HD video would be a plus, but personally I reckon the current model is good enough.
Dont think Ill upgrade just yet...

jastra
3rd March 2011, 10:10 AM
The front facing camera would be good, i.e for skype. Cant see myself using the rear facing one a lot though. It would be easier to just use your phone camera, or normal camera rather than lugging an iPad around.
I suppose if you watch movies on it, the HD video would be a plus, but personally I reckon the current model is good enough.
Dont think Ill upgrade just yet...
ive got one too and i love it, spose its just something fresh to keep up the hype because the orignal one is like you said good enough..

poita
3rd March 2011, 10:21 AM
Will be getting one :)

jastra
3rd March 2011, 10:35 AM
Good to see they are implementing some sort of peripheral features such as the mirrored display hopefully in future releases they add more features... Unless it's already capable and they havnt written the software for it yet...

willhouse
3rd March 2011, 11:24 AM
Whats its still lacking is connectivity though...specifically USB. It cant be that hard to add a port in. Oh, and flash!
What are the prices expected to be? Anyone know?

jastra
3rd March 2011, 11:40 AM
Whats its still lacking is connectivity though...specifically USB. It cant be that hard to add a port in. Oh, and flash!

Yeh that's what I was talking about features like that would make the device so much better. Thing is they are more focused on making things thinner and lighter rather than more practical...

Ice
3rd March 2011, 12:36 PM

flash is never coming to Apple as far as they are concerned.....

Bloodnok
3rd March 2011, 05:30 PM
doesnt seem like there were many worthwile changes imo...
thoughts?
http://www.apple.com/au/ipad/

Okay, so the list goes:

* More CPU power, more graphics power

The iPad is sorely in need of these. It can get quite laggy at the moment under normal usage, and as someone who has been involved with game development on the platform, it is really hurting for RAM and graphics power. What we've been able to do with the Tegra platform is way beyond what the poor old iPad could handle. The chips are also not new - this is just an iPhone4 with a big screen. This is purely apple playing catchup to the Tegra based devices - it's not about pushing boundaries at all.

* Front and back camera

Again, the iPad should have had at least a video conferencing camera from the start. A surprising omission in the first release, which they've now fixed. Can't see the real functionality in trying to use it as a camera myself - it's just a little too large for that, but nevertheless, it got slammed for not having one last time, so they've added that in too.

* Thinner and lighter

Well duh, a year has passed, if they hadn't managed that I'd be surprised.

* Still the same battery life

I'm sorry - if this non-feature has made the list of features, they must be really struggling for things to say about it.

... and that's it. No increase in screen resolution a la iPhone 4, as was predicted by various places.

It really is iPad SP1 - what they should have done last time.

Vectracious
3rd March 2011, 06:57 PM
just enough changes to keep the sheep baa-ing and Stevie rolling in a shiteload of money as the new generation of sheep go crazy over getting an LibraPad 2

Of course USB isn't included - that's coming in iPad ver 6 where Apple will relaunch it as a "new" connectivity technology.

Bloodnok
3rd March 2011, 07:04 PM
just enough changes to keep the sheep baa-ing and Stevie rolling in a shiteload of money as the new generation of sheep go crazy over getting an LibraPad 2

Of course USB isn't included - that's coming in iPad ver 6 where Apple will relaunch it as a "new" connectivity technology.

No, what they'll do is incorporate it's replacement (whether that's something near field, or some other technology), and call it progress. That's much more the apple way of doing things. Then someone will make an adapter from that to USB...

willhouse
3rd March 2011, 07:09 PM
I was originally planning on waiting for the second gen to come out before i bought one. Glad i didnt, would have been sorely disappointed if I had waited all that time for those minute tweaks.

glider
3rd March 2011, 07:21 PM
No, what they'll do is incorporate it's replacement (whether that's something near field, or some other technology), and call it progress. That's much more the apple way of doing things. Then someone will make an adapter from that to USB...

Didn't USB 3.0 only recently start coming out?

Bloodnok
3rd March 2011, 07:24 PM
Didn't USB 3.0 only recently start coming out?

Yes, but that's still called USB, so it won't count to Apple.

jastra
3rd March 2011, 07:59 PM
apple do have thunderbolt tho....

poita
3rd March 2011, 08:02 PM
apple do have thunderbolt tho....

was about to say this. they do have a connection that noting else uses, and no-one cares about.

still buying one though. baaaahhhhhhhh

jastra
3rd March 2011, 08:19 PM
was about to say this. they do have a connection that noting else uses, and no-one cares about.
yet...
your buying an ipad tho right? the ipad doesnt have it does it

poita
3rd March 2011, 08:21 PM
yet...
your buying an ipad tho right? the ipad doesnt have it does it

yer i know it doesnt, but no doubt it will appear in a later model.

dont think it will work with any of my pcs anyway lol

jastra
3rd March 2011, 08:30 PM
nah its probs going to be a patent like most other apple products :P so it will only work with macs :P

Vectracious
3rd March 2011, 08:33 PM
nah its probs going to be a patent like most other apple products :P so it will only work with macs :P

so basically useless ;)

poita
3rd March 2011, 08:36 PM
i would like a mac, battery life is awesome.

just cant justify the price of them, would have one no doubt

hazrd
3rd March 2011, 08:49 PM
couldnt help but piss myself laughing when they played stevo's announcement on the radio

"the ipad 2g has a rear facing camera, at the back.... and a front facing camera, at the front"

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/puppet_facepalm.gif

Vectracious
3rd March 2011, 08:51 PM
"the ipad 2g has a rear facing camera, at the back.... and a front facing camera, at the front"

They have to make it simple for the fanboys to understand.....

gmonkey
3rd March 2011, 09:04 PM
still shit, still pointless, still a waste of money...

no interest in tablet PC/pads, not until i see a PS3 one :P or one i can play starcraft on

Bloodnok
3rd March 2011, 10:26 PM
still shit, still pointless, still a waste of money...

no interest in tablet PC/pads, not until i see a PS3 one :P or one i can play starcraft on

Not going to be far off.

Seriously, we've taken a game that I never thought could run acceptably on anything but the meatiest of desktop PCs, and got it to run on a tablet. The iPad (original) struggles, but can just about do it. The Tegra is plenty powerful enough for it. So porting something like Starcraft would be eminently possible - just down to Blizzard deciding it's worth doing.

tomtom
4th March 2011, 09:12 AM
Did anyone watch the promo video on the site and notice the bit about editing movies shot with your ipad... and it shows the person editing clips from their day out at the beach... a clip of them standing in the water... with their mates?

Thats just ****ing stupid. No one does that.

Its definitely a cool device but Apple's marketing department has really gone too far. Each of their video promos have a checklist of phrases that they need to fit in there so people who just watch it brain dead will finish the video and think "THIS IS THE BEST DEVICE EVER I MUST OBTAIN IT AT ONCE".

"New innovation"? I wasn't aware you could create old innovation.

"for the first time"

"all new"

"new technology"

"new manufacturing processes"

"invent"

Ice
4th March 2011, 09:21 AM
Did anyone watch the promo video on the site and notice the bit about editing movies shot with your ipad... and it shows the person editing clips from their day out at the beach... a clip of them standing in the water... with their mates?

Thats just ****ing stupid. No one does that.

Its definitely a cool device but Apple's marketing department has really gone too far. Each of their video promos have a checklist of phrases that they need to fit in there so people who just watch it brain dead will finish the video and think "THIS IS THE BEST DEVICE EVER I MUST OBTAIN IT AT ONCE".

"New innovation"? I wasn't aware you could create old innovation.

"for the first time"

"all new"

"new technology"

"new manufacturing processes"

"invent"

haha like their new facetime !

jastra
4th March 2011, 10:05 AM
i would like a mac, battery life is awesome.

just cant justify the price of them, would have one no doubt
They are becoming cheaper with every release tho 13" mbp is 1300 and is a pretty mean note book compared to the old 13" which was 1300. Same with all their stuff it becomes cheaper over new releases. I love my mac I wouldn't go back to pc unless I had to took a little while to get used to but defiantly worth the switch, I find that's half the problem mac haters have IMO :p

so basically useless ;)

Hardly...

poita
4th March 2011, 10:25 AM
the killer is the price for me tbh.

my current laptop is 15.6", i5, 8gb, gt330m, 500gb, tv tuner, cd/dvd burner, i paid $1100 for it.

double that at least for a mac :(

Bloodnok
4th March 2011, 11:58 AM
Killer for me is app support. Because of the things I need to run on my laptop, I have to have windows. I know I can format a mac and install windows, but doesn't that defeat the /entire/ point of owning a mac? Plus, with the price premium already charged for Apple kit, then add a full commercial windows license (because you can't use an OEM version), and it's so far out of price comparison territory it's just not funny.

Vectracious
4th March 2011, 09:46 PM
Hardly...

So a connection that nothing else uses and can only be used in one brand of product is useful? Why not just put in a USB 3.0 or even just a HDMI - no they put in a thunderbolt so they can then have the excuse to charge you for who knows how much for a thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor.....

Vectracious
4th March 2011, 09:48 PM
Killer for me is app support. Because of the things I need to run on my laptop, I have to have windows. I know I can format a mac and install windows, but doesn't that defeat the /entire/ point of owning a mac? Plus, with the price premium already charged for Apple kit, then add a full commercial windows license (because you can't use an OEM version), and it's so far out of price comparison territory it's just not funny.

but Mac's look pretty... :rolleyes:

guy 27
5th March 2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvG0fbdMwGc