PDA

View Full Version : Astra VXR vs Golf R32 mk5

dizzydumb
24th February 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi guys, just got into a deep thought about the abovementioned topic.

Love the R32 v6 rumble, and the 4wd, but didn't buy it cos of the vast price difference. Hence got the VXR. What do u guys think about the R32? Performance & Comfort wise?

I mean I love my VXR, fast & sleek, look forward to driving it everyday before and after work. Just wanna make sure i'm not regretting buying the VXR

guy 27
24th February 2011, 02:11 PM
i'm thinking of an mk4 r32 in a year or two. I prefer the look of the mk4 over the mk5.
they just sound so awesome.

http://vimeo.com/4446298

dizzydumb
24th February 2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, at least the awesome recaro seats come standard in the mk4, but optional in the mk5. And mk4 R32 only comes in 2 doors. I love them!!!

guy 27
24th February 2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah. I sat in Adam's friends mk4 on the weekend and it felt very comfortable.

Only things that i've found that might be a down side to the r32's is that in stock form they are very heavy and also there is not too much you can do to tune them unless you add a turbo or charger into the mix. but still with the right suspension and brake setup and with some weight reduction they become a phenomenal pocket rocket.

PS88
24th February 2011, 02:21 PM
Love the R32 Mk4 XD but i will diffidently go for VXR

dizzydumb
24th February 2011, 02:24 PM
Can someone tell me how it would've been different had I chose an R32 back then?

guy 27
24th February 2011, 02:32 PM
Can someone tell me how it would've been different had I chose an R32 back then?

you would of gained 30kg and started loosing hair. :P

honestly i think it would of been much and much. looking at the mods on a r32 vs vxr the vw costs a bit more to do things to. servicing also seems higher for the vw.
vw do seem to hold their value a lot better than holden/opels do here in aus. so in the end it would probably work out the same.

its not really an easy answer to give though as they are both brilliant cars in their own ways.

hazrd
24th February 2011, 02:43 PM
The choice in car is unique to the person. Everyone wants a car for a completely different reason to another.

Think of it this way. In 2006, if you had the cash to afford both the VXR, and the R32, but could only pick one. Which one would you choose? This is where you need to look at things like "what will i use the car for?" and "can i afford the servicing on the car for the next X amount of years?"

Then you look at the features of each car and think "will i use this feature?" or "is it worth spending the extra amount of my hard earned $$ for a couple of extra features"

Then if you want to get down to the real nitty gritty, you focus on the reliability of both cars, and the brand, which one will have more resale in X amount of years.

And so on...

That being said, both cars are as awesome as each other IMO, and you definitely shouldnt be second guessing yourself over the VXR. If i were to choose, i would have gone the R32, but its my personal preference because it has a few extra features over the VXR that i like ;)

dizzydumb
24th February 2011, 02:52 PM
Hazrd: That's what i would've chosen too. I don't incorporate servicing costs and 2nd hand sale value. Cos i mean, we buy these cars as our pride and joy, and we should really be able to afford every aspect of it.

I'm so digging the v6 exhaust note and the awd. Would've gotten myself a 3door manual mk5. But somehow the VXR (at that point) seemed more towards the 'bang for your buck' factor. Love the pointy sharp nose of the astra H.

Great, feel better now.

kabel
24th February 2011, 02:56 PM
Mate you made the right decision.
I have the VXR and 2 VAG cars in the garage.
Whilst neither are an R32 I much prefer the VXR to drive even after 4.5 years of ownership.

Ice
24th February 2011, 03:27 PM
ide have bought the VXR because you just get more bang for your buck (plus I just love the look of them)...when I bought my car, i didnt think of resale value and im not sure its rated that highly when your out there buying a car.....its about the looks, the performance and the money you have to outlay to get it.

GreyRex
28th February 2011, 09:57 AM
Back then I would've bought the VXR. I was in a similar position, but bought an AH Turbo. Prob wouldn't do it again though..

Wraith
7th March 2011, 01:33 PM
The choice in car is unique to the person. Everyone wants a car for a completely different reason to another.

Think of it this way. In 2006, if you had the cash to afford both the VXR, and the R32, but could only pick one. Which one would you choose? This is where you need to look at things like "what will i use the car for?" and "can i afford the servicing on the car for the next X amount of years?"

Then you look at the features of each car and think "will i use this feature?" or "is it worth spending the extra amount of my hard earned $$ for a couple of extra features"

Then if you want to get down to the real nitty gritty, you focus on the reliability of both cars, and the brand, which one will have more resale in X amount of years.

And so on...

That being said, both cars are as awesome as each other IMO, and you definitely shouldnt be second guessing yourself over the VXR. If i were to choose, i would have gone the R32, but its my personal preference because it has a few extra features over the VXR that i like ;)

+ 1 ;)

Also you can get just about any other V6 engine with similar firing order to sound as good as a R32, it's all in the exhaust system...

Had the worn rear centre muffler pulled out and changed a while back on my old V6 Calibra and ran without it for week waiting for a replacement unit and man the sound it made - AWESOME note :)

JohnBu
8th March 2011, 10:15 AM
Very few engines sound as good as the R32 aftermarket exhaust or not... it's not just the fire-ing order, but the close V shape.

You just can't do it on any V6.

V8 yes.

Wraith
8th March 2011, 01:16 PM
Very few engines sound as good as the R32 aftermarket exhaust or not... it's not just the fire-ing order, but the close V shape.

You just can't do it on any V6.

V8 yes.

The VW R32 has been purposely fitted with a sound tuned exhaust system...alot of newer cars eg. the Peugoet RCZ and Reno Megane RS 250 are employing the same 'trick'...

In a V configuration engine the exhaust note sound is all about the firing order and exhaust system, ie. exhaust manifold/header and/or extractor type and pipes, the V shape does also have an influence and has to do with the fact that you get a staggered pulse through the pipes with the twin banks rather than what happens with IL or inline cylinder engines, 4 and 6 cylinder boxer configuration engines are another good example of a staggered pulse through the exhaust system giving a very different sound, valve number and configuration can also make a slight difference in the exhaust note...

Change the firing order on any similar configuration engine and they will sound different to each other, even V8's I know this from personal experience having owned them and anyone else who knows will tell you the same thing !!! if you look at an old school V8 vs say a newer LS1/2 they sound diistinctly different, the older V8's have a much deeper and more bassy sound compared to the newer ones, even with exactly the same exhaust systems fitted, it's because of the different firing order...you'll also find that's the reason why Ferrari V8's have a distictive 'tiny' note rather than a deep bass sound, the firing order (and even the crank throws) in those are designed with high/maximum revving in mind, displacement can make a difference too.

If you get to listen to a VE V6 engine with sport exhaust for eg. it sounds very different to a VAG V6 or even our Opel V6's because again the firing order is different, those newer VE V6's sound shite compared to the older ones...so yes, you can't just do it to any V6 however if the firing order is the same, you'll get a similar note...

You can make an old V6 Calibra or even an old V6 Vecce sound as good as an R32 with a sport exhaust system, mine without the centre muffler sounded better than a stock R32 :)

XLR87N
8th March 2011, 03:30 PM
just saw an r32 fly up market st on my break. sounds horn, im yet to be outside my car to hear how it sounds lol

CNBLU
8th March 2011, 07:12 PM
Because of the limited scope of tuning available to the R32 i would go the VXR, but the R on the other hand...... ;)

kabel
8th March 2011, 09:42 PM
Because of the limited scope of tuning available to the R32 i would go the VXR, but the R on the other hand...... ;)
Indeed check out the APR website.
Heaps of options for the VAG 2.0l T.
Guy I bought my Audi A3 from replaced the A3 with an R36,he is finding that options are less but also bang-for-buck power gains are less on the NA V6.
Still a very nice car mind you.

Wraith
9th March 2011, 08:25 AM

Agree !!! the tuning on that particular VAG TFSI is vast...

But the R will be more expensive as it is still a newer release with not many S/H ones out there :)