PDA

View Full Version : New Barina SRi key

Barina@19
19th February 2011, 09:40 PM
When we bought our Barina SRi it only came with one key. I had a scare yesterday when we thought we had lost it so panic set in and priorities reset ie get another key. I searched around and found a locksmith (in Adelaide) that works with car key/transponders etc and they quoted $220 for a new 2 button programmed to car key. Seems like good value considering that a GM dealer quoted $70 for the blank, $220 for the transponder and whetever to prgramme the key. Sound ok ?

hazrd
19th February 2011, 09:51 PM
thats reasonable imo considering holden would charge around $500 total!

Barina@19
19th February 2011, 10:12 PM
They also supply a base type key without remote function but still allows you to unlock the car manually and start it for $110.

metry
19th February 2011, 10:17 PM
i got mine from the holden dealer for 200ish. doesnt it cost more to get a key remade if you lose them all?

Barina@19
19th February 2011, 10:45 PM
I believe so and it's to scary to even think about it. You might as well torch the car !!!

Wraith
21st February 2011, 10:44 AM
When we bought our Barina SRi it only came with one key. I had a scare yesterday when we thought we had lost it so panic set in and priorities reset ie get another key. I searched around and found a locksmith (in Adelaide) that works with car key/transponders etc and they quoted $220 for a new 2 button programmed to car key. Seems like good value considering that a GM dealer quoted $70 for the blank, $220 for the transponder and whetever to prgramme the key. Sound ok ?

Did you buy it new ??

That's very unusual, I've never heard of that before ie. only one key given when purchasing a new car ??? AFAIK all brands, all models, all price points should have two keys supplied from new - shouldn't they ??

JohnBu
21st February 2011, 04:18 PM
I don't think Barina@19 said he/she purchased it new.

Call around, I know the key for a TS Astra was around $200, but this was 10 years ago.

Barina@19
21st February 2011, 10:09 PM
Sorry for the confusion, we bought it 2 weeks ago as a one owner from a Melbourne car yard (we're from Adelaide) and only had one key given to us. I contacted the original owners and they said they they lost the spare so I had a brand new one cut and prgrammed for $220.