PDA

View Full Version : Registration Queries

brc
8th February 2011, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys,

So here is the scenario, I purchased my Astra Turbo back in Dec '09 and need to get it registered in Melbourne now.

I have the following:

Transfer papers,
Receipt of sale,
Vic roadworthy (to come)

Do VIC Roads need to spot this vehicle, if so, is there anything they look at? ie; hight or emissions or? Or do they just need to confirm the engine number and chasis etc?

Vic roads advised I have to come in with the vehicle, I just want to make sure I go in with the car the way they want to see it.

ATM its lowered with 2.5" exhaust, should this matter?

glider
8th February 2011, 01:26 PM
Hi Guys,

So here is the scenario, I purchased my Astra Turbo back in Dec '09 and need to get it registered in Melbourne now.

I have the following:

Transfer papers,
Receipt of sale,
Vic roadworthy (to come)

Do VIC Roads need to spot this vehicle, if so, is there anything they look at? ie; hight or emissions or? Or do they just need to confirm the engine number and chasis etc?

Vic roads advised I have to come in with the vehicle, I just want to make sure I go in with the car the way they want to see it.

ATM its lowered with 2.5" exhaust, should this matter?

if it has rwc they should only check numbers ;)

brc
8th February 2011, 01:27 PM
Are you sure its the same in VIC? QLD are shotty. I purchased it from QLD and the roadworthy marked tyres as fine but the tyres were ****ed.. LOL

sooty
8th February 2011, 01:28 PM
Just checking numbers mate.
Had mine done maybe 3 months ago :)

Wraith
8th February 2011, 01:31 PM
As above you need to have the vehicle for them to 'sight' so that what they're looking at fits the description on the paperwork...

If it were unregistered and/or no roadworthy they would both sight and inspect the vehicle further, before approving re-registration...

You should hopefully be ok with just a quick visual going over for your purposes :)

Fingers crossed :D

glider
8th February 2011, 01:32 PM
Are you sure its the same in VIC? QLD are shotty. I purchased it from QLD and the roadworthy marked tyres as fine but the tyres were ****ed.. LOL

them checking stuff would defeat the purpose of having a roadworthy. Only time they will do more is if the car has been defected or similar

brc
8th February 2011, 01:40 PM
I appreciate your responses and I have the answers that I require.

Thanks team.

PS: You will see my sexy beast on the road soon ;) :P

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/brcspb/7481cd8e.jpg

brc
8th February 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh, one other thing.. Is hight counted in RWC?

Wraith
8th February 2011, 01:45 PM
I appreciate your responses and I have the answers that I require.

Thanks team.

PS: You will see my sexy beast on the road soon ;) :P

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/brcspb/7481cd8e.jpg

Nice !!! front end is identicle to mine lol :)

Oh, one other thing.. Is hight counted in RWC?

Yes, a proper RWC inspection should cover that ! make sure the lowest point is not under 120mm...

brc
8th February 2011, 01:54 PM
I was reading on vicroads website, it needs to be higher than 100mm. I will find out tonight whether I am. If not, no matter. Will slip the fella some cash ;)

Wraith
8th February 2011, 03:13 PM
I was reading on vicroads website, it needs to be higher than 100mm. I will find out tonight whether I am. If not, no matter. Will slip the fella some cash ;)

Last I checked it was 120mm down from a previous 125mm...

If it's now down to 100mm, well all the better :)

Some newer cars do seem to be getting lower and lower from factory/OEM with time...

hazrd
8th February 2011, 03:56 PM

make sure u measure the 100mm from the lowest point.. mine was from the flexi joint on the exhaust. I made the mistake of thinking i was measuring the lowest part of the car ie front bar and it came in at an easy ~115mm, then i saw the fex joint hanging down and it came in at a bit over 105mm :p

faster
8th February 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi, As far as I know they measure ride height from the front cross member and as stated it should be above 100mm.

Wraith
8th February 2011, 05:07 PM
Hi, As far as I know they measure ride height from the front cross member and as stated it should be above 100mm.

Pretty sure it's still 120mm not 100mm, someone will eventually confirm on that one but am absolutely sure it's to the lowest part of the vehicle as stated above, usually exhaust/pipes not the crossmember/s...

This only makes sense since it's that part of the vehicle which has to maintain a certain clearance without scrubbing the ground...

guy 27
8th February 2011, 05:14 PM
def 100mm

"for any point in the width of the vehicle and is WITHIN 1 metre fore and aft of any axle, is 100mm"
ALSO
" The mid-point between any two consecutive axles" (front and rear in the case if a WRX)
"The Dimension in millimetres, that is obtained by multiplying the distance (in metres) between those two axles, by 33.33"

source.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

Wraith
8th February 2011, 05:18 PM
def 100mm

source.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

100mm it is :)

Now we can all go lower LOL :D

brc
9th February 2011, 11:44 AM
It is def 100mm. Read it straight from vic roads. I measure nearly 250mm from the exhaust.. BUT! next to the wheel there is a point that is like, 85mm. Is this measured?

Front is 115mm :D

Bloodnok
9th February 2011, 11:55 AM
It is def 100mm. Read it straight from vic roads. I measure nearly 250mm from the exhaust.. BUT! next to the wheel there is a point that is like, 85mm. Is this measured?

Depends. Is it part of the suspension under the car? If it will move with the wheel when the suspension compresses, I would assume it's not counted. If it's not part of the suspension, and won't move with the wheel when the suspension compresses, I would assume it is counted. Exception to that may be if it's a mudflap?

guy 27
9th February 2011, 11:55 AM
is that 85mm point part of the suspension or brakes? if it is it will not count. I'm presumming you have an astra G. the only areas you will need to check are the dump pipe and cat on the exhaust. they will be the lowest points.

brc
9th February 2011, 01:30 PM
is that 85mm point part of the suspension or brakes? if it is it will not count. I'm presumming you have an astra G. the only areas you will need to check are the dump pipe and cat on the exhaust. they will be the lowest points.

It is part of the suspension so that is good news. The exhaust is well above 100mm so I should be fine :D! This is wonderful news. Just put the rear bumper in to be repaired / sprayed. Costing me $700.00 ! Could have almost got a new bumper for the amount I've paid. :|!?