PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Out

CNBLU
7th February 2011, 09:37 PM
Not sure if this is the right section for it but anyway.

My wifes been complaining about everyone passing her on the freeway and she thinks the speedo might be out on the Jetta. So driving home in my car and my wife in her car i put the car in cruise and set it on 100km/h. I told my wife to drive next to me and she said she caught up but was going nearly 120km/h.

Now im not sure if my speedo is out?

My tyres are 215/40/18
My revs were sitting on 2.5k

Any opinions before i call VW tomorrow?

guy 27
7th February 2011, 09:41 PM
try use a gps to see what speed the car is doing with cruise control set on a certain speed. at 100km/h on the speedo gps should read between 96-100km/h

if you cant be bothered with that call vw as the car is new and get them to fix it.

CNBLU
7th February 2011, 09:46 PM
Well the scanguage said i was going 98km/h

Wraith
7th February 2011, 10:05 PM
As above Gav. try a gps...they're very accurate.

I always assume most people speed on the freeway, so if your sitting on 100, it wouldn't surprise me most other people would go right on by, shameful yes :(

AFAIK most factory speedos these days especially newer cars are purposely set below 100km/h for safety and overspeed prevention, anywhere from 92-96 actual speed at the indicated 100.

When you eventually find out it'd be interesting to know if your factory setting is that much out, I'd stick it to them, 20km/h off whack is a joke...

hazrd
7th February 2011, 10:43 PM
Gav

to do 110km/h in my GTi i have to sit a smidge over 120km/h (121ish). this is tested on about 4 different GPS units, and going through speed check points. also passed a few coppers so definitely not doing 120! (205/45/R16)

as our newly appointed resident SP25 owner mentions above, i concerned that being 20km/h out is a little bit overkill. Although, be prepared for VW to tell you exactly the same that Ange said :(

Ice
7th February 2011, 11:48 PM
my gps says im doing 100 yet on the speedo it shows 107.

we could test it tomorrow if you like ? if its that much out they have to fix it...thats bollocks.

poita
7th February 2011, 11:53 PM
calibra is spot on with 19's, fuks me how.

mazda is 120 on speedo 108 on GPS, so far out!

Nurb608
8th February 2011, 07:22 AM
The ADR's brought out in 2005/06 or somewhere around there state that all new vehicles must be within 10% but never read that you are going faster. Reading 120kp/h to do 100kp/h is outside those regulations so VW are responsible to fix it, so long as the wheels and tyres are OE.

Wraith
8th February 2011, 07:36 AM
as our newly appointed resident SP25 owner mentions above, i concerned that being 20km/h out is a little bit overkill. Although, be prepared for VW to tell you exactly the same that Ange said :(

LOL Adam, still havn't got my hands on it yet, the Calibras' gone though and the missus is cracking at me pinching the Honda City all the time, will have to take the new Rolla off her dads hands for a week LOL...

Getting back on topic and speeking of speedo errors I've noticed most Jap brands are ok in this regard, although the Yaris seems to be slow at an indicated 100km/h...

I'll have to get a GPS into it and see how it does, will be interesting to see how the new Mazda does also with its built in sat nav.

CNBLU
8th February 2011, 07:53 AM
my gps says im doing 100 yet on the speedo it shows 107.

we could test it tomorrow if you like ? if its that much out they have to fix it...thats bollocks.

yeh we can test it tonight :)

thanks for your replys guys

glider
8th February 2011, 12:30 PM
LOL Adam, still havn't got my hands on it yet, the Calibras' gone though and the missus is cracking at me pinching the Honda City all the time, will have to take the new Rolla off her dads hands for a week LOL...

Getting back on topic and speeking of speedo errors I've noticed most Jap brands are ok in this regard, although the Yaris seems to be slow at an indicated 100km/h...

I'll have to get a GPS into it and see how it does, will be interesting to see how the new Mazda does also with its built in sat nav.

Calibra is gone? should have advertised it on here, would have been nice to see it stay in the club :(

Wraith
8th February 2011, 12:41 PM
Calibra is gone? should have advertised it on here, would have been nice to see it stay in the club :(

Apologies for going off topic, but to answer the above I'm going to be doing a proper send off sometime soon in the Calibra section, after 9 years of ownership it was time to let it go and move on with something more up to date as a daily driver :)

It is gone, hopefully to a good home as my original intended buyer (close family friends daughter) pulled out and its ended up with another youngster I don't really know, so hopefully it lives on a good long life...

Had I not found a new owner easily (Calibras are damned hard to flog off as we all know) I would've put it up here for EOI's, either way whatever condition they're in (and mine was truly a good one) they don't fetch much coin at all these days, unfortunately age will do its thing to depreciation - mine is now 16 years old and market value is down to around 4.5k...

Before letting it go, I returned it all back to stock (including the original wheels) only the colour coded Vecce B door handles and after market tail lights remained...

I'll be selling the originals and other parts separately later on - again I'll put all of that up on the Cali section for you guys who may be interested :)