PDA

View Full Version : OpelAus 2011

poita
6th February 2011, 08:13 PM
Just after some feedback the members of OpelAus.

Yes I know I do this on a regular basis, sorry if it's annoying, but it gives me a better idea of what is needed.

What do you want to see implemented onto the forum? (excluding chat box)

Any suggestions in general are welcome, be honest here too.

If something is shit, say it's shit and I will see what can be done about it.

guy 27
6th February 2011, 08:20 PM
maybe in the confirmation email for new members make it clear to use the search feature first. i've noticed over the past 12 months or so many new members asking questions that have been asked time and time before. I don't want to sound rude but some things have gotten very repetitive.

Ice
6th February 2011, 08:51 PM
perhaps adding to guys post, i do searches and sometimes come up with messages saying they have been archived so i cannot get to them.

also when looking up how to's sometimes there is alot of shit or talk going off on a tangent in between actual informative posts, yes i am guilty to, perhaps getting someone to prune the posts or delete posts which arent particularly helpfull for that particular thread ? am i making sense ?

poita
6th February 2011, 08:56 PM
maybe in the confirmation email for new members make it clear to use the search feature first. i've noticed over the past 12 months or so many new members asking questions that have been asked time and time before. I don't want to sound rude but some things have gotten very repetitive.

done.

perhaps adding to guys post, i do searches and sometimes come up with messages saying they have been archived so i cannot get to them.

also when looking up how to's sometimes there is alot of shit or talk going off on a tangent in between actual informative posts, yes i am guilty to, perhaps getting someone to prune the posts or delete posts which arent particularly helpfull for that particular thread ? am i making sense ?

not sure about the archived messages, can you show me an example, link/screen shot?

any volunteers?

guy 27
6th February 2011, 09:04 PM
pete (ice). do you get the archived threads when searching using the forum search or google search?

hazrd
6th February 2011, 09:20 PM
those two banners at the top, are they too big to be put side by side (even resized)? or would it look too cluttered?

just a thought ;)

btw - you have incoming PM

r0b3y
6th February 2011, 11:32 PM
mayb a front page portal?? with posts from admins on opel news, meet reviews, club/sponsor news etc..

just a thought..

poita
6th February 2011, 11:51 PM
those two banners at the top, are they too big to be put side by side (even resized)? or would it look too cluttered?

just a thought ;)

banners are preset to to size. this size is what a majority of uses will see as a comfortable size.
its one of those things where you cant make it perfect for everyone

mayb a front page portal?? with posts from admins on opel news, meet reviews, club/sponsor news etc..

just a thought..

something i have been thinking about bringing back. i have never set up a portal before, so will be a big learning curve for me (with the rest of the stuff)
so yes, defin on the things to do list

adam_92
7th February 2011, 02:02 AM
MORE ACTIVE ADELAIDE MEMBERS!!!

On a serious note. What about a moderator for each section? Similar to the cruise sections but maybe 1 for sales/wanted/group buys and external sites then another for each of the model sections... Just to give you a helping hand keeping the spamming and the odd arguments that happen to a minimum as you dont have to cover the whole site and remove threads or spam posts... Have people cover parts of the forum for you... Just my 2c

Maybe a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians???

glider
7th February 2011, 05:04 AM
MORE ACTIVE ADELAIDE MEMBERS!!!

On a serious note. What about a moderator for each section? Similar to the cruise sections but maybe 1 for sales/wanted/group buys and external sites then another for each of the model sections... Just to give you a helping hand keeping the spamming and the odd arguments that happen to a minimum as you dont have to cover the whole site and remove threads or spam posts... Have people cover parts of the forum for you... Just my 2c

Maybe a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians???

Forum is not active enough for more moderators tbh

Ice
7th February 2011, 08:38 AM
pete (ice). do you get the archived threads when searching using the forum search or google search?

guy, Pete, when i do a search ill take a screenshot. ill try some later see if i can get the message up.

Nurb608
7th February 2011, 09:13 AM

just a thought ;)

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing, pity it can't be done :(

How about getting rid of the Australia Day 2011 in the top banner? :p

poita
7th February 2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, i was thinking the same thing, pity it can't be done :(

How about getting rid of the Australia Day 2011 in the top banner? :p

its long gone, press ctrl+f5

Nurb608
7th February 2011, 09:27 AM
its long gone, press ctrl+f5

Ah, so it is. Is there any way you can set it so i wouldn't have had to hit Ctrl F5?

hazrd
7th February 2011, 09:58 AM
Ah, so it is. Is there any way you can set it so i wouldn't have had to hit Ctrl F5?

In FFX this is the best way, only click on "cache" though otherwise you will have to login to every forum every time you open FFX (ive only got everything clicked so the I.T guys at work cant snoop around at where ive been during work hours :lol: )

http://i56.tinypic.com/nytzyt.jpg

tomtom
7th February 2011, 10:03 AM
poita, when i do searches it makes me wait like 30 seconds (or something) before i can do another one.

super annoying when your first search doesnt get what you want so you try to change keywords but... "you have to wait 11 seconds before you can search"..."you have to wait 3 seconds before you can search"... "you have to wait 1 seconds before you can search"... "no matches found"

FFFF!!!!

poita
7th February 2011, 10:10 AM
GPS tomtom (funny arent i)

It's in place to reduce strain and excessive load on the server side of things.

I know it's a pita, it annoys the shit out of me too

Nurb608
7th February 2011, 10:32 AM
In FFX this is the best way, only click on "cache" though otherwise you will have to login to every forum every time you open FFX (ive only got everything clicked so the I.T guys at work cant snoop around at where ive been during work hours :lol: )

http://i56.tinypic.com/nytzyt.jpg

Can't do that at work :(

tomtom
7th February 2011, 02:28 PM
GPS tomtom (funny arent i)

It's in place to reduce strain and excessive load on the server side of things.

I know it's a pita, it annoys the shit out of me too

how bout just reduce by half....

CMON POITA REASON WITH THE PEOPLE.

metry
9th February 2011, 01:28 PM
idk how hard it would be to do this but it would be nice if we could organize our how to section into something like this

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

would save alot of time

willhouse
9th February 2011, 03:54 PM
I was thinking something along the same lines. What about having sub-sections in the technical area to make it a bit easier to search for things? Like under TechnicalArea > Astra have sub-sections like Engine, Interior, Suspension etc..

poita
9th February 2011, 05:28 PM
It's good having all those sections, but the forum can become to over crowded with a million sub sections.

Will look into something though

Feelinlucky75
9th February 2011, 06:21 PM
how about instead of everyone starting a new thread i the spotted section whenever they see a car, we just have a "spotted nsw", "spotted qld", and so on then just ad it to that thread... it worked on Pulsar Group of Aus. when i was on there...

Nurb608
9th February 2011, 06:24 PM
how about instead of everyone starting a new thread i the spotted section whenever they see a car, we just have a "spotted nsw", "spotted qld", and so on then just ad it to that thread... it worked on Pulsar Group of Aus. when i was on there...

We already have them under Opelaus Spotted ;)

metry
9th February 2011, 06:39 PM
no hes saying that insteasd of having states where people make new threads theres one big thread similar to the what have you done with your car thread. so thered be one thread for NSW, one qld etc etc

Nurb608
9th February 2011, 06:42 PM
Gotcha

poita
9th February 2011, 07:00 PM

the spotted section is tbh about as important as the spam section
ppl dont go in there for information like they would the "How to" section

hazrd
10th February 2011, 05:40 PM
Just thought of something (noticed it on another VB forum a little while ago when i signed up)

When someone signs up, can you find the enhancement where it only allows them access to the "member introduction" area so they are forced to introduce themselves etc. before automatically unlocking access for them to the rest of the forum?

Im guessing it might be a code where it only provides access to one section until their post count becomes "1" then it unlocks the rest to view?

I could always ask the other forum's owner if ive confused u at all Pete :p

adam_92
10th February 2011, 06:14 PM
yeah iv been on other forums like that adz. its a good feature and stops randoms just signing up and asking 1 question then never coming back again

ChrisMaz
11th February 2011, 05:20 AM
yeah iv been on other forums like that adz. its a good feature and stops randoms just signing up and asking 1 question then never coming back again

Except now they'll create a welcome post. Ask one question and bail.
Sure it'll work to some extent and maybe make some long time stalkers introduce themselves, but overall I doubt it would increase a membership base.

CNBLU
11th February 2011, 04:22 PM
Car of the month?

Mod of the month?

Member of the month?

boorny88
11th February 2011, 04:53 PM
i like the sound of that one gav it be you or glenn or rory that get mod and car of the month haha

Ice
11th February 2011, 05:13 PM
i like the sound of that one gav it be you or glenn or rory that get mod and car of the month haha

dont do it monthly, do it quarterly and have different aspects, ie, 10 points for modding, ten points for nicest wheels, ten points for cleanest car....stuff like that......ide atleast have a chance then and it wouldnt just be the same guys winning it all the time.

glider
11th February 2011, 06:11 PM
Car of the month?

Mod of the month?

Member of the month?

spammer of the month?

bogan of the month?

state of the month (for post count)?

:lol:

mod of the month sounds like a good one

2002_XC
11th February 2011, 06:18 PM
spammer of the month?

bogan of the month?

state of the month (for post count)?

Best wife of the month?

:lol:

Awww thanks Toby :p

Nurb608
11th February 2011, 06:41 PM
Maybe with photo of the month, set a scene for it.

hazrd
11th February 2011, 08:00 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NfsdvUxYGkI/TObP2EiXoQI/AAAAAAAAZD4/BHy25gkxs4o/s1600/vote-for-pedro.jpg

sorry, it just seemed so fitting :p

<insert here> of the month sounds good

poita
11th February 2011, 08:46 PM
All these things are great don't get me wrong, I will look into it.

Time management is a huge factor with these type of things.

*Added to 2011 things to do*

adam_92
11th February 2011, 10:06 PM
All these things are great don't get me wrong, I will look into it.

Time management is a huge factor with these type of things.

*Added to 2011 things to do*

hence my suggestion of a couple of more moderators to take the strain off you and brady and spread the load throughout the forum

hazrd
12th February 2011, 01:50 AM
hence my suggestion of a couple of more moderators to take the strain off you and brady and spread the load throughout the forum

Brady no longer runs the forum Adz... Pete is now flying solo.

Pete, I can give you a hand with some things in my free time. Just let me know if theres anything u need a hand with!

CNBLU
12th February 2011, 10:42 AM
http://t-shirtguru.com/product-images/i-m-ridin-solo-t-shirt-cottonfactory-1.gif

adam_92
12th February 2011, 04:32 PM
oh that explains why i havnt seen him around lately... i was waiting for that one gav

Bloodnok
12th February 2011, 07:32 PM
Except now they'll create a welcome post. Ask one question and bail.

And they'll ask their question in the 'welcome' section, because that's all they can see. And once the rest opens up, they'll see they posted in the wrong place, and ask for it to be moved, or something.

Or they'll make an empty post in the 'welcome' section, and then post their question.

Sure it'll work to some extent and maybe make some long time stalkers introduce themselves, but overall I doubt it would increase a membership base.

... and it could possibly confuse quite a few 'new recruits'. When I first found this forum, ISTR I was looking for a place to ask a question. I don't think that will be all that unusual a case. The decision to stick around came later. If I'd had to introduce myself first, I'd probably have skipped over OA, and kept looking.

balker
13th February 2011, 01:14 AM
The ability to search individual sections of the forum. For example I'd like to search for 'spark plugs' in the Astra Turbo Section, rather than the whole site.

I find this very useful on other forums.

Never mind..... Just realised I have been in the 'Search Multiple Content Types' search mode for the past year!

(http://www.opelaus.com/forums/search.php)

guy 27
13th February 2011, 01:17 AM
http://www.opelaus.com/forums/search.php?search_type=1

maybe this should be the page for advanced search instead of

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/search.php

balker
13th February 2011, 01:18 AM
What Guy said...

guy 27
13th February 2011, 01:29 AM
Can the perpetual post be made viewable by members only. I'd hate to think it scares people from signing up.

adam_92
13th February 2011, 03:04 PM
Can the perpetual post and my posts be made viewable by members only. I'd hate to think it scares people from signing up.

Fixed it for you guy...

hazrd
21st February 2011, 09:51 AM
Just found 2 other cool things on another vB forum:

- ability to like/dislike/thanks a post
- XBOX/PSN/Wii/Steam handles in your profile

doable maybe?

poita
21st February 2011, 10:02 AM
Just found 2 other cool things on another vB forum:

- ability to like/dislike/thanks a post - Creates angst, have seen it on a forum before.
- XBOX/PSN/Wii/Steam handles in your profile - Yer don't mind that idea

doable maybe?

Bloodnok
21st February 2011, 10:30 AM
ability to like/dislike/thanks a post - Creates angst, have seen it on a forum before.

Depends how it's done. I can see the problem with 'dislike' - however, I've seen forums using just the 'thanks' part and not having any problems. It does cut down on 'me too' type posts.

OTOH, I don't think we have quite the traffic level here where that kind of noise reduction is a requirement...

sooty
22nd February 2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Pete,

How about for each car/motor a post detailing common mods, their impact, when you'd do them etc.

For example i could do one for the z19dth detailing:
Derestricting Airbox
EGR Blocking
Cold Air Intake
3A pod
Greenbox/CRD-T
Eibach Springs
Rear Sway

etc etc
Obviously the turbo boys will have lots of mods they can add. But it might stop those posts about what mod should i do first, what impact will blah blah have etc.
And each person with the same car/motor can add their opinion all moderated into one stickied post at the start of the thread?

I'd be happy to go about the sorting of it all if you need a hand. Just figured it'd be useful as i've found the posts on club liberty of a similar scheme handy! :)