PDA

View Full Version : Fuel differences

Gatecrasher
1st February 2011, 08:43 PM
Hey guys ever since I have had the car I've been using shell v power and was fairly whatever about it, I tried the Safeway caltex premium and that was just nasty - car ran rougher and mileage was horrible. So I went back to v power just cos I knew it was ok. Someone at work said that BP ultimate was the best so I gave it a crack and I'm surprised at the difference compared to v power. The car seems to run smoother and glide easier when I jump off the accelerator, the gearstick also feels nicer hardly any vibration at all.

Have u guys experienced differences with the petrol you use?

craigm
1st February 2011, 09:01 PM
At one stage I filled up with Caltex Vortex 98 and that tank lasted a while and car seemed to run pretty well off it. Just my 2cents

metry
1st February 2011, 09:04 PM
i use whatever 98 octane aslong as its from a somewhat reputable source (usually shell, mobil, bp very rarely caltex).

hazrd
1st February 2011, 09:06 PM
used vortex98 in all of my cars, none of them have had an issue, and mileage has been great :) (currently getting 650 in the astra on a 50L tank, and 550 in the GTi on a 45L tank... 550 conservatively lol)

edit: dont forget, its also down to the oil you use aswell... but thats for another topic ;)

03srit
1st February 2011, 09:09 PM
I normally run v power on mine aswell till one time there was no shell open and I was running low so I had to stop at a bp and tried the ultimate and yeah I agree the car seems to be smoother to drive..

I thought it was just in my head so it's good that someone else felt it too..

But one thing I noticed though, I don't get very high milage.. Though that's probably coz I use the aircon often nowadays..

CNBLU
1st February 2011, 09:14 PM
I use BP ultimate only because its right next to my house, otherwise im not bothered.

Like Hazrd has said its also to do with the oil you use.

Gatecrasher
1st February 2011, 09:22 PM
used vortex98 in all of my cars, none of them have had an issue, and mileage has been great :) (currently getting 650 in the astra on a 50L tank, and 550 in the GTi on a 45L tank... 550 conservatively lol)

edit: dont forget, its also down to the oil you use aswell... but thats for another topic ;)

650!!!! FFS I've never seen that haha. Curious about this oil comment, I just have whatever Holden put in it *shrugs*

craigm
1st February 2011, 09:24 PM
650!!!! FFS I've never seen that haha. Curious about this oil comment, I just have whatever Holden put in it *shrugs*

I have a feeling they use mobil oils...however I could be wrong

chrissn89
1st February 2011, 09:25 PM
I use BP ultimate only because its right next to my house, otherwise im not bothered.

Like Hazrd has said its also to do with the oil you use.

I use BP Ultimate 98 90% of the time other wise the car seems to really like Mobil 98 but those petrol station a rare around these parts, and V-Max 98 car runs nicely on. Ill only use Caltex 98 if there is nothing else but only put like $15 to get me to another station, car just seems to run better on the others.

hazrd
1st February 2011, 09:56 PM

my missus drives like a total hanny though :p i reckon id be struggling for 500 if it was just me driving!

I have a feeling they use mobil oils...however I could be wrong
you are correct, but i dont use holden mechanics ;) mine uses Valvoline products

Bloodnok
1st February 2011, 10:51 PM
used vortex98 in all of my cars, none of them have had an issue, and mileage has been great :) (currently getting 650 in the astra on a 50L tank)

Mileage has a lot to do with the kind of driving you do. I've had over 700 out of my Astra (G), and that was just whatever the 7-11 down the road sells as their el-cheapo E10. That was mostly motorway trips though, and no stop-start traffic. I won't get that kind of mileage any more - the kids are back at school now, and that means there's far more people causing traffic jams at 8 in the morning, so I'm in queueing traffic at least 5 minutes each day now just trying to get onto the motorway. (They *really* need to fix that junction).

Oh, and as to petrol choice? The Astra gets whatever's going cheap when it needs some, hence my using the local 7-11, as they seem to be really competitive on price. The Vectra (2.6L V6) is more picky - wanting at least 95 octane. I used to run it almost exclusively on Freedom, but I've now switched to United - Freedom changed their supplier, and it really didn't like their new petrol. I suspect it wasn't quite the same octane ratings, as shortly afterwards, all the octane ratings disappeared off the Freedom pumps...

JohnBu
1st February 2011, 10:53 PM
A lower viscosity oil, i.e 5w30 will aid fuel consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk