PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys!! Opinions wanted..

robcig
31st January 2011, 12:37 PM
Hi there Opel world! I have a 2002 model Astra City with a low 49,000 k's on it. I bought it new, and the car has been loved and pampered from day one. It presents as new, and has been garaged all it's life. It has had all the services done on time, and I have fitted a set of 17" ROH Fury mags, with 35mm lowered springs from Lovells. The colour is Prestige Blue, and the interior is greyish?? My question is, would I be able to get $10,000 for it (considering it's a City), or should I just keep it and pass it onto my young bloke who get's his P's next month..

sooty
31st January 2011, 12:41 PM
It's a hard Market to sell in ATM, especially when you're asking top dollar for the car.
IMHO I'd keep it for the young bloke, sounds like it will serve him well and you know it's been looked after

guy 27
31st January 2011, 12:44 PM
you could probably get around 7-8k for it at the most if your willing to wait for a buyer. trade in would be lucky to see 3k from it.

the choice is ultimately yours with what you want to do with it.

adam_92
31st January 2011, 12:55 PM
keep it in the family. like what ain said. at least you know its been well looked after and you know the full history of the car

robcig
31st January 2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted as to what we decide,

Wraith
31st January 2011, 01:13 PM
Hi there Opel world! I have a 2002 model Astra City with a low 49,000 k's on it. I bought it new, and the car has been loved and pampered from day one. It presents as new, and has been garaged all it's life. It has had all the services done on time, and I have fitted a set of 17" ROH Fury mags, with 35mm lowered springs from Lovells. The colour is Prestige Blue, and the interior is greyish?? My question is, would I be able to get $10,000 for it (considering it's a City), or should I just keep it and pass it onto my young bloke who get's his P's next month..

IMHO definitely keep it and pass it on !!!

From what you've desrcribed it's a perfect car to pass onto your son as his 1st car...

Unless you need the money for other things, that's what I'd do...

btm
31st January 2011, 01:31 PM
a member on here sold almost exactly the same car with same km last week for $7,200 - http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?29086-FOR-SALE-2001-HOLDEN-ASTRA-TS-CITY-(Seller-maloo97)

if it was me, i'd be passing it down the tree and keeping it in the family for many more years of relatively trouble free motoring

metry
31st January 2011, 01:32 PM
keep the car in the family. if the car is as good as you say it is. then itd be perfect for him. also when keeping cars in the family, you know the cars history and what is wrong with the car etc.

robcig
4th February 2011, 02:11 PM
Good feedback, and I agree it's a great car to keep in the family. Not sure if my ratbag P plater appreciates a car like this though!! I've decided to advertise it and see how it goes. I'm not allowed to post this up in the For Sale section cause I'm only new. Here's a link FYI

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=10023949&__Qpb=true&Cr=8&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=30&__N=1216 1282 4294965857 4294965856 410 898 4294930881 4294966914&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&PriceTo=410&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=47&__sid=12CB355454F4

JohnBu
4th February 2011, 02:54 PM
They only issue of selling a car for say $9k and then buying a cheaper car for your son, is that with the cheaper car will generally have less safety features and you don't know the history of it.

At least by keeping it, you at least know it's a decent car.

I think I see another TS Astra in the garage.

Ice
4th February 2011, 03:50 PM
yes what everyone else says but at the same time if you give your son/daughter the car and they dont appreciate it then no lessons are learnt. My sis got given an almost brand spankers 2002 2.2 sri years back and she treated it like shit and you can imagine how frustrating it was for me sitting by and watching her run it into the ground, cobwebs all over the things, bird shit stains, never having it serviced etc etc. basically it only got washed or serviced when i came back from overseas each year to visit, haha. so maybe if they buy it off you they will treat it with a little more pride ?

Bloodnok
4th February 2011, 04:47 PM
Not sure if my ratbag P plater appreciates a car like this though!!

yes what everyone else says but at the same time if you give your son/daughter the car and they dont appreciate it then no lessons are learnt. My sis got given an almost brand spankers 2002 2.2 sri years back and she treated it like shit and you can imagine how frustrating it was for me sitting by and watching her run it into the ground, cobwebs all over the things, bird shit stains, never having it serviced etc etc. basically it only got washed or serviced when i came back from overseas each year to visit, haha.

Hmm, I resemble that remark. When I was 17, I was given a 1983 Astra that had been in the family since new. (For the curious, kinda like this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vauxhall_Astra_1598cc_first_registered_Octobe r_1983.JPG) only red (somewhat faded) and the 1.3L cooking version, not the sporty 1.6 as shown there.) It must have sat on the drive without moving for several years, before Dad decided to simply scrap it. I remember driving it once.

so maybe if they buy it off you they will treat it with a little more pride?Two problems there. Firstly, they haven't chosen it. It's a passive, default choice, not an active one - which even if it's cost them money, doesn't engage their enthusiasm in the same way.
Secondly, even the pride of a new car wears off pretty quick for a teenager. The first car I bought, I washed and cleaned it every week for about, ooh, nearly a month, until that got too much like hard work. Even then, I had little mechanical aptitude, and no desire to learn - I was out of my depth the moment the bonnet was opened, and I was happy for my dad to take over at that point. I think you only start to appreciate a car and look after it mechanically when you start to depend on it, you don't have the safety net of parents to help out, and it dawns on you how much of a problem it would cause if it wasn't working...

Ice
4th February 2011, 05:08 PM
right on all counts.....I think you have to have an active interest in cars to really take care and appreciate/look after them....i dont think ive gone a week in my life without washing my car. Im sure as a parent you will make the right choice, haha youve had 17 ish years practice :)

robcig
6th February 2011, 04:58 PM
Once again wise words, grasshoppers!! I am probably pushing shit uphill thinking I'm gonna get ten grand, but I gotta try. If it does'nt sell, I'll offer it to the young bloke for half the value. So at least he's paid for some of it, and hopefully will take responsibilty cause it was'nt handed over to him on a platter.
Yes that is a white 2000 model CD that I picked up cheap. I want to keep that one for my little girl.