PDA

View Full Version : vinyl wrapping

adam_92
26th January 2011, 10:01 PM
hey guys. i did a quick search and couldnt find anything about this. so... theres a few panels on the veccy that could do with a respray. (front and rear bumper, rear passenger door, rear passenger wheel arch and probably some other little bits) and iv been thinking about getting the whole car wrapped with a vinyl... has anyone ever looked into getting their car wrapped and whats involved. is it much cheaper to get it wrapped than resprayed. id be looking at around $2-3k to get it resprayed but i wouldnt have a clue what it would cost to wrap. what is the life span of a decent vinyl as i wouldnt want to pay to get the whole car wrapped for it to break down and fade in a year or 2. any info with this would be massivly helpful.

cheers. Adam

guy 27
26th January 2011, 10:15 PM
my brother has his business cars fully wrapped.

I prefer a paint job over a wrap unless your looking to advertise something.

The job they got done cost $3.5k per vehicle (cx-7)
That was a complete wrap with images printed on to it. So that is where most of the costing went. Same company quoted me $2k for the astra to be done in any custom colour i want or 1.5 if it was just a cheaper stock colour they have.

Its been around 3 years since his has been done and in some areas it is starting to peel away at the edges. (wether that was someone picking at them or just wear i don't know)
on the plus though there has been very minimal fading and the paint underneath is still brand new as the cars were wrapped within days of being purchased. so when it comes time to sell there won't be any paint work to fix.

maintenance is easy as it takes alot of abuse and won't effect how it looks.

heres the first image i found of one of them
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/skyguy27/9429_289389720610_828995610_9236026_6633006_n.jpg

in my opinion though, get a respray done and take care of the paint work.
honestly. i'd get a full respray as when it comes to selling the car i doubt the person buying it would want it and you will loose money on the paint you have on it at the moment.

Depending how bad the paint is you might be able to get away with a pro detail and some touch ups done.

adam_92
26th January 2011, 10:31 PM
nah it needs a respray ideally. i know my dad had his delivery truck wrapped in england and that was laser printed with a picture of a bedroom setting. he had a bed and furniture business. that cost 5000 pound but it was a huge truck. but then eventually the adhesive on the wrapping is going to break down. if i was going to spend money and respray it i would want a different colour but then it wouldnt match the compliance/build plate thing. i know it wouldnt put me off buying a car but what do you guys think? would you buy a car that had been resprayed a different colour to the original?

JohnBu
26th January 2011, 11:54 PM
Respray in the original colour.

It looks dodgy when you open the door, boot or bonnet and it's a different car.

A proper full body respray needs the shell striped, engine out etc. You won't get much change from $10k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam_92
27th January 2011, 12:10 AM
yeah thats what i thought. my mate got his vl calais turbo resprayed but he completely stripped it himself and that still cost over 5k

metry
27th January 2011, 09:06 AM
yeah thats what i thought. my mate got his vl calais turbo resprayed but he completely stripped it himself and that still cost over 5k

our old vk set us back 7.5k to do that. if you want though, keep the colour you use silver but put a metalic flick through it or different tinge