PDA

View Full Version : The Next Gen Astra VXR

aussie_in_london
25th January 2011, 11:18 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/Vauxhall-241111142644871600x1060.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/aussie32/Vauxhall-241111142655341600x1060.jpg

Vauxhall is aiming to outscore Renaultsport’s benchmark Mégane 250 hot hatchback on power, handling and coupé-like styling, judging by these exclusive images of the next-generation Astra VXR and details on the car obtained by Autocar.
The next-gen VXR will get around 50bhp more, taking its power output to just shy of 300bhp, and will also feature a UK-honed and track-developed chassis designed to give it circuit performance to match that of the highly rated Renault, and take on Ford’s forthcoming four-pot Focus ST.
See the leaked pics of the new Vauxhall Astra VXR (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsGallery.aspx?AR=255081&EL=-1)
The images are high-resolution renderings, believed to be part of an internal planning document or an early draft of promotional material. Vauxhall declined to comment on the shots, but Autocar sources have confirmed that they are accurate in all bar the alloy wheel design, which has yet to be finalised.
They show that Vauxhall has stayed true to its stated intention of keeping the hot version of the forthcoming three-door Astra — likely to be badged GTC — as close as possible to the extreme looks of the Paris motor show concept that previewed the new model.
Several of the GTC Paris’s more intriguing styling cues look set to make production. They include sharp creases that emerge from the door handles and run across three different panels to the edge of the tail-lights, and a particularly complex tailgate shape.
Read more on the Vauxhall Astra GTC concept (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/252582/)
There’s also an integrated roof spoiler, a small rear diffuser and Vauxhall’s signature ‘blade’ along the flanks, positioned towards the front of the car, like the Insignia, instead of at the rear like the five-door Astra’s.
GM’s chief designer, Mark Adams, admitted to Autocar last year that his team had “pushed the boundaries” on manufacturing tolerances with the GTC concept’s curves. “The technology to make cars has improved,” he said. “The body side, the stamping and the complexity is incredible. Five years ago the blade wouldn’t have made production.”
The styling of the car is designed to give the entire Vauxhall range a ‘halo’ product. Of the GTC Paris, Adams said, “I think we’ve got great products; what we need to achieve is to get people to believe in the brand. We want to build on our quality attributes — the rational elements — but make it much more emotional.”
See spy pics of the Astra VXR in testing (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Vauxhall-Astra/252576/)
This style-focused attitude is likely to transfer to the entire production GTC range, not just the VXR — but the high-performance variant will get a heavily modified chassis over its more mundane stablemates. “This VXR will be much more extreme and hardcore than the old one,” an insider told Autocar. “It’s being designed to offer a track-day experience far beyond the outgoing model’s.”
One of the key elements in this is the removal of the old VXR’s electronic ‘artificial limited-slip differential’ and the use instead of a mechanical Quaife-type unit. This will be mated to HiPerstrut front suspension, a set-up not dissimilar to a double wishbone layout that has proven successful on the Insignia in providing steering feel and accuracy, but minimising torque steer.
The GTC is expected to appear in production form at the Frankfurt show in September and will go on sale early next year. The VXR will follow around six months later; a debut at next year’s Geneva show is likely, with cars in showrooms by summer 2012.
John McIlroy

Opel has announced that it will export its cars to Australia.

The move will be made by the company in 2012 and is the firm’s next step in its export offensive.

Cars on offer will include the Insignia, Astra and Corsa, although the full model line-up will be announced closer to production release.

When speaking at the Detroit motor show about the matter, company CEO, Nick Reilly said: “This launch is an important part of our international expansion strategy. With its growing demand for German design and technology, the Australian car market is an excellent opportunity for Opel. Australian drivers have a strong affinity with Opel vehicles.”

Opel has already announced the launch of the brand in Chile and Israel, with Australia now on the list too.

Other markets that are under consideration include Argentina, the Middle East and an expansion in South Africa and China.

gmonkey
25th January 2011, 11:27 PM
ud think the VXR would have foglights in the foglight holders?? :p

poita
25th January 2011, 11:33 PM
in time for australian launch?

looks good from the renderings though

chrissn89
25th January 2011, 11:33 PM
ud think the VXR would have foglights in the foglight holders?? :p

Very sexy car, cant wait to see one in the flesh now just make it not FWD, and ill buy one yummy.

Fog lights are slowly being phased out in the higher end sports model cars ive noticed Euro's anyways.

dsuhiti91
25th January 2011, 11:48 PM
Make it NOT FWD please.

poita
25th January 2011, 11:52 PM
Very sexy car, cant wait to see one in the flesh now just make it not FWD, and ill buy one yummy.

Fog lights are slowly being phased out in the higher end sports model cars ive noticed Euro's anyways.

yer now that DRL's are becoming the 'thing' to have

Make it NOT FWD please.

i honestly dont think they will ever not be fwd

guy 27
25th January 2011, 11:54 PM
i honestly dont think they will ever not be fwd

+1 its a hot hatch. its meant to be FWD. thats the fun of them.

dsuhiti91
25th January 2011, 11:59 PM
+1 its a hot hatch. its meant to be FWD. thats the fun of them.

Is that some sort of "unwritten rule" lol. True, the RS and a few other cars display that having power AND FWD is possible in a hot hatch. However, Opel has not shown this as seen by their previous horrid handling efforts (Vectra VXR, Astra VXR) etc.

poita
26th January 2011, 12:09 AM
you are here why?

guy 27
26th January 2011, 12:11 AM
Is that some sort of "unwritten rule" lol.

no not an unwritten rule. just something i believe should be the case. a hot hatch should have nice power and should be a small sized car with decent room with the rear seats folded down.

we all know that if you want high power you go rwd ideally awd.

from wiki

Vehicles of this class are typically based on family-oriented automobiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile), and are equipped with an uprated more powerful internal combustion engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine), improved suspension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_%28vehicle%29), and may also include additional 'aerodynamic' body parts. Front-mounted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-engine_design) petrol engines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol_engine), together with front-wheel drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-wheel_drive), is the most common powertrain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain) layout, although diesel-powered (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine) hot hatches are also available.

dsuhiti91
26th January 2011, 12:14 AM
you are here why?

Because I own an Opel and getting another one hopefully this weekend :)

gmonkey
26th January 2011, 12:37 AM
fwd hatches work better than awd hatches IMO and if you had a RWD hatch itd be wayyyy to uncontrolable in the corners being SWB.. FWD is the way to go for small cars (unless its MR/RR)

Vectracious
26th January 2011, 12:38 AM
Opel has not shown this as seen by their previous horrid handling efforts (Vectra VXR, Astra VXR) etc.

is that comment purely based on Jeremy Clarkson putting full lock on and flooring it on an episode in Top Gear?

2002_XC
26th January 2011, 12:42 AM
Is that some sort of "unwritten rule" lol. True, the RS and a few other cars display that having power AND FWD is possible in a hot hatch. However, Opel has not shown this as seen by their previous horrid handling efforts (Vectra VXR, Astra VXR) etc.

Ive been a passenger around two race tracks in an astra vxr, and have to say that the handling was fantastic, and would much rather be in that car around the track than a rwd car, but thats been my experience

CNBLU
26th January 2011, 09:25 AM
This WILL be my next car :)

hazrd
26th January 2011, 09:38 AM
Ive been a passenger around two race tracks in an astra vxr, and have to say that the handling was fantastic, and would much rather be in that car around the track than a rwd car, but thats been my experience

+1
FWD handles better than RWD IMO

metry
26th January 2011, 10:10 AM
This WILL be my next car :)

group buy guys?

im in. this car looks amazing on paper. they have done it right this time

hazrd
26th January 2011, 10:39 AM
group buy guys?

im in. this car looks amazing on paper. they have done it right this time

well when you think about it - 3558 members, throw up a random "group buy" discount figure of around $35k each.. Only works out at a lazy $12,4530000 (or twelve billion, four million, five hundred and thirty thousand dollars)

So whos in?

xplosv57
26th January 2011, 11:08 AM
+1
FWD handles better than RWD IMO

I wouldn't go that far, maybe with commodores or falcons but not BMW, Ferrari, Porsche etc

Vectracious
26th January 2011, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE]

So whos in?

We'll pay cash. We might get a better price :P

hazrd
26th January 2011, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't go that far, maybe with commodores or falcons but not BMW, Ferrari, Porsche etc

Very true, can't argue with that! (I did have the falcon and commo in mind at the time of posting lol)

glider
26th January 2011, 11:33 AM
I still think I'd rather the corsa, this thing will probably be out of my price range

hazrd
26th January 2011, 11:35 AM
[quote]

:lol: I expected a response like that from u!

poita
26th January 2011, 11:52 AM

if i had a $1 for everytime i heard that i'd be able to buy one for everyone on the forum!!!

Vectracious
26th January 2011, 11:58 AM
if i had a $1 for everytime i heard that i'd be able to buy one for everyone on the forum!!!

hey I get them barganining for their government subsidised medicines - you do cheaper if I pay cash??? (this is on a $5.60 pension script) :rolleyes:
/off topic

This could be another possibility instead of the Insignia - I was thinking when the lease was up on the Passat that I would downsize again - was thinking a Golf GTI, but a VXR could be another possibility - the only problem is that they don't come in 5 door.

kabel
26th January 2011, 03:00 PM
Looks good.
I will be in when it arrives,not sure what I will do with the current VXR though....be harding parting with it !
My Polo Gti will be up for renewal,just need to convince work that a Corsa VXR will get me to my site meetings on time.
Audi will also be close to needing replacing,maybe the Missus would like an Insignia VXR Tourer :-)

Seriously though the comments about handling/torquesteer on a high powered FWD are almost obsolete.
No one is complaining about the Focus RS and the Megane RS250 in the Australian press tests.
The dynamics will always be different to a RWD car.
Learn to love it and adjust your driving technique to suit.

P.S
The comments on the VXR are from five years ago now based on a pre-production model.
It is easy to make a product look good or bad if you are biased one way or another.
That show is about entertainment value not fact based on serious evaluation.

Mr Clarkson rarely has a good word to say about the Porsche range of vehicles either.

aussie_in_london
26th January 2011, 07:50 PM
fwd hatches work better than awd hatches IMO and if you had a RWD hatch itd be wayyyy to uncontrolable in the corners being SWB.. FWD is the way to go for small cars (unless its MR/RR)

I have to agree

for example, take one fwd astra VXR, insert it on one GP circuit (Spa) and let ithave fun with a GT3RS :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRyA-QkbPgQ

P.S. Happy Australia Day guys.............

Nurb608
26th January 2011, 08:08 PM
I have to agree

for example, take one fwd astra VXR, insert it on one GP circuit (Spa) and let ithave fun with a GT3RS :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRyA-QkbPgQ

P.S. Happy Australia Day guys.............

That's cheating showing Bo's car :p But yep, certainly a selling point on how an astra can handle!

And you better be having a BBQ over there Shane :)

aussie_in_london
26th January 2011, 08:11 PM
That's cheating showing Bo's car :p But yep, certainly a selling point on how an astra can handle!

And you better be having a BBQ over there Shane :)

well its still fwd and is capable of harassing the big boys with rwd designed to be quick on circuit lol

as for the barbie, its bloody dark by 4.30, its wet and cold in London Town, though the misses is going to cook up something aussie for dinner followed by a Tim Tam or 2, thats the best I can do lol

I am sitting here in my office with a wallabies jacket on so thats a start............

Nurb608
26th January 2011, 08:13 PM
lol, all you need is a steak or sausages and a "couple" of beers ;)

aussie_in_london
26th January 2011, 08:15 PM
Got the steak and sausages, only got guinness in the fridge lol

Nurb608
26th January 2011, 08:17 PM
Got the steak and sausages, only got guinness in the fridge lol

Well that would fit in with all the mud in QLD at the moment :D

tomtom
27th January 2011, 02:50 PM
and here i was considering the purchase of the rs250.

must... wait.

gman
27th January 2011, 02:53 PM

I think my SRi-T handles its 240kw's at the front wheels OK...FWD isn't always mutually exclusive with a quick, powerful or good handling car...

Mine also seems to go around the track reasonably quickly...Ask Pauly, Steve or Adam...They've been in it too.. ;)

PaulyJ
27th January 2011, 03:25 PM
F**K yeah for above comment...

tomtom
27th January 2011, 09:55 PM
F**K yeah for above comment...

Glen's cars...alright fast...

lol

BEK-46P
27th January 2011, 11:38 PM
OK, yeah. That's pretty f*cking hot.

As much as I'd love to hold out for that thing, it's likely I'll be driving around in a 370Z by the time it comes out.

Wraith
28th January 2011, 08:30 AM
Nice, very nice absolutely love the new AJ...

Still about 2 years away here though...

poita
28th January 2011, 09:32 AM
Nice, very nice absolutely love the new AJ...

Still about 2 years away here though...

like the whole range, end of next year they will be on the showroom floor

GreyRex
28th January 2011, 10:18 AM
While i'm not going to enter into the whole FWD vs RWD/AWD debate... im going to say that after my current car (if I can avoid it), I won't be buying another highish powered FWD car

While i'm sure the next VXR will look good (i've already seen the concept in the metal in Paris) and it'll go fast, i'll be looking for something else...

gman
28th January 2011, 11:41 AM
While i'm not going to enter into the whole FWD vs RWD/AWD debate... im going to say that after my current car (if I can avoid it), I won't be buying another highish powered FWD car

While i'm sure the next VXR will look good (i've already seen the concept in the metal in Paris) and it'll go fast, i'll be looking for something else...

Have to say, your certainly living up to your forum name...mizled indeed it seems... :(

GreyRex
28th January 2011, 11:59 AM
Have to say, your certainly living up to your forum name...mizled indeed it seems... :(

Ah no. Personal preference

CNBLU
28th January 2011, 02:02 PM
I think Ben should go for a drive in Milesy's car with a proper map then make a decision. The map you had on your car wasnt the best and also running higher power with standard suspension setup will make it handle alot different to it with a proper shocks, springs and RARB.

craigm
28th January 2011, 02:07 PM
Im glad they are importing the Insignia, The VXR version looks awesome. Top Gear UK (James) reviewed it

See - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUa1EV64-Nw

xplosv57
28th January 2011, 04:18 PM
Ah no. Personal preference

[OPCSRi]
29th January 2011, 11:57 PM
I think my SRi-T handles its 240kw's at the front wheels OK...FWD isn't always mutually exclusive with a quick, powerful or good handling car...

Mine also seems to go around the track reasonably quickly...Ask Pauly, Steve or Adam...They've been in it too.. ;)Looks like you need to take me out for a burn when your in Melb next Glenn. As my signature states................waiting is all I'll be doing for the AJ VXR.

gman
31st January 2011, 10:07 AM
Mate no problem...Next time I'm down... ;)

Wraith
31st January 2011, 01:31 PM

They are alot better now though Miz and will continue to get better :)

Remember also that brands like BMW are now also joining into the FWD bridgade and I'm sure people like them will do it right, so tech will eventually spill off to other brands...

Or maybe they'll just copy the Renault invented Revo knuckle system, Ford already has :p

dieselhead
31st January 2011, 02:33 PM
This FWD vs RWD debate is utterly pointless if you ask me. Tell you what, take an RS250 for a drive and then compare its handling with any RWD/AWD car you like. Then come back to us and tell us why a RWD or FWD setup is better than what the Megane manages to do.
If Opel can get it right like Renault and Ford have while keeping the price to Golf GTI levels, the next Astra OPC is going to sell like hot cakes, despite being a bum dragger.

gman
31st January 2011, 04:35 PM
Having owned numerous cars such as:

FWD - Astra, Suzuki GTi, N14 SSS Pulsar, Audi A4
AWD - Tiguan, Evo VI, STi x 2, GTR x 3
RWD - VW Beetle, Alfa Romeo 2.0Lt Alfetta Sedan, S14 200SX, LX Torana, Porsche 944 turbo, BMW 330i, RX3 13b Turbo
(There are many more I can't think of them all ATM ;) )

I can say that personally, I like driving FWD cars. Set them up right and they will keep up with almost anything. The only time, IMHO, they are seriously in trouble is from a standing start.

In the overall scheme of things, thats not all that often unless your a drag guy. Me, I like corners.... :D

dieselhead
31st January 2011, 04:55 PM
If you like corners as much as I do, go get a Clio RS 200 :) For the price, nothing beats it for raw feel and sharp handling. Check out the latest EVO super mini test. They were saying that testing the Clio against hatches like the new DS3 R, Mini Cooper S JW Works, the new Polo GTI and Corsa VXR is unfair, like dropping a GT3 RS amongst fat coupes. One of the best road car regardless of price he said. A FWD car that some reviewers say it feels like Porsche's sharpest...

gman
31st January 2011, 05:07 PM
Came seriously close to purchasing an RS250 Megane late last year, but held off as I might have been moving overseas again. I am going so lucky I did. Don't really need a third car... ;)

Wraith
2nd February 2011, 12:53 PM
This FWD vs RWD debate is utterly pointless if you ask me. Tell you what, take an RS250 for a drive and then compare its handling with any RWD/AWD car you like. Then come back to us and tell us why a RWD or FWD setup is better than what the Megane manages to do.
If Opel can get it right like Renault and Ford have while keeping the price to Golf GTI levels, the next Astra OPC is going to sell like hot cakes, despite being a bum dragger.

Having owned numerous cars such as:

FWD - Astra, Suzuki GTi, N14 SSS Pulsar, Audi A4
AWD - Tiguan, Evo VI, STi x 2, GTR x 3
RWD - VW Beetle, Alfa Romeo 2.0Lt Alfetta Sedan, S14 200SX, LX Torana, Porsche 944 turbo, BMW 330i, RX3 13b Turbo
(There are many more I can't think of them all ATM ;) )

I can say that personally, I like driving FWD cars. Set them up right and they will keep up with almost anything. The only time, IMHO, they are seriously in trouble is from a standing start.

In the overall scheme of things, thats not all that often unless your a drag guy. Me, I like corners.... :D

I agree...

For my age group in the beginning FWD cars were considered sacrliledge and all I ever used to own was RWD vehicles...

Totally different story for me now, they're all well and good and will continue to buy and own FWD, but I must admit I also want both RWD and AWD so will eventually end up with at least one of each :)

CORZZA
3rd February 2011, 09:47 AM
More info

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/sandrachantelle23/Opel-Astra-GTC-shadow.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/sandrachantelle23/Opel-Astra-GTC-back2.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/sandrachantelle23/New-Opel-Astra-GTC-500x318.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/sandrachantelle23/Opel-Astra-GTC-back-seats.jpg
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/sandrachantelle23/Opel-Astra-GTC-interior.jpg
Sculptural Artistry: Dramatic proportions and dynamic sweeping lines
* German Engineering: 213 kW/290 hp 2.0 Turbo DI; FlexRide adaptive suspension
* Affordable: The achievable dream car
* Momentum: Concept showcases energized brand
Paris/Rüsselsheim. The GTC Paris concept car embodies the passionate side of Opel: Its role is to show how Opel can “dial up” the brand’s now established design direction by creating a very sporty and emotional interpretation.
The GTC Paris is designed to be artistically sculpted using sweeping dynamic lines. At the same time, it is engineered with German precision and energized with technical innovation, like a 2.0 liter Turbo gasoline engine with direct injection, a new execution of the fully adaptive FlexRide suspension and an limited slip differential in the front.
This three-door sporty hatch is pure but sporty, simple but expressive and at the same time bold and iconic. Keeping in line with Opel’s DNA, it is an achievable dream car, conceived to showcase an energized brand. This energy is also conveyed by the vibrant and expressive Liquid Metal Red exterior color.
Coming close on the heels of the new generation Astra Sports Tourer which will also debut at the Paris motor show, the GTC Paris is how Opel envisions the next logical step of a newly shaped line-up.
Exterior design: Muscular lines like tendons on a sprinter
At 4.46 meters, the GTC Paris is the ideal size for a compact, sporty car, which still offers room for five. In profile, the designers have maximized drama by limiting the amount of lines in the GTC Paris. Three strong lines create tension and provide a sculpted shape. The Opel signature blade is introduced in the same direction as first seen in the Insignia — a fine, crisp line that sweeps upward from the rocker at the beginning of the front door. A second line encapsulates the door handle and sweeps to the rear, emphasizing the vehicle’s dramatic stance by spreading the surfaces to a fine undercut and a broad shoulder. The third line following the silhouette of the roof is finished in finely brushed aluminum accentuating the window graphic, which guides the eye to the sharply accented integrated spoiler.
The shoulder section is the most dramatic area of the Opel GTC Paris. The broadest point pulls down to a wide athletic “bulldog stance,” giving the car a very purposeful road presence. The line from the C-pillar slides into the tail and curls around into the rear spoiler, which is ingeniously integrated into the continuing roof line.
The clean frontal styling features Opel’s typical centerline crease. It is further accented by intense, very slim eagle-eye shaped headlamps acting as parenthesis between the refined chrome emblem bar and the dramatic low trapezoidal grill which hints at its sporty character. Opel typical wing-shaped signature LED daytime running lights get a new twist with finely sculptured chrome jewels that are seen easily behind clear glass. The trapezoidal grille is recognizably Opel, but separate from the chrome bar and placed lower, for a race track feel.
The wide stance is accentuated in the rear, where the proportion of the vehicle is most imposing due to the powerful shoulder design. This is further enhanced with the LED taillights and one long stretched “wing” motif, which make the new Opel vehicles distinguishable at night.
The aerodynamics of the dynamic 21-inch wheels is optimized with carbon-fiber inserts which enclose the center caps.
Purposeful driver’s cockpit
Echoing the flowing, sculpted forms of the bodywork, the hallmarks of the GTC Paris interior are sweeping lines and shapes as well as the bold use of fabric. The interior is driver-focused, with a positive/negative use of color: Whereas the driver’s seat is red with black trim, all other components in the interior are outfitted in a charcoal black with red stitching. The car’s inspiration, a quote from Richard Bach’s novel,Jonathon Livingstone Seagull is laser-etched in calligraphy script into the seat … “and the speed was pure beauty.”
Sporty, bucket front seats have been specially designed for the GTC Paris. Their aggressively shaped contours and graphics perfectly compliment the overall dynamic spirit of the car are outlined in titanium and filled in with black netting, repeating a design cue seen on the carbon fiber inserts on the wheels.
The small black leather racing steering wheel features metal inserts. On the dashboard, the interior continues Opel’s recurring “wing” and “blade” motifs. In this execution, the blade theme is expressed in details like the shape of the polished chrome door grab handles and the trim for gearshift molding. The wing design cue is immediately evident in the warm, inviting wraparound instrument panel that embraces front seat occupants. It arcs across the cabin into the top of the door moldings.
The Opel design team used leather and micro-fibers for the seats, plush carpeting on the flooring, and a textured black instrument panel. These classic materials have a contemporary twist, not only in the choice of hues but also in the positive/negative stitching.
German Engineering Packs Powerful Punch with 213 kW/290 hp 2.0 liter Turbo
In line with Opel’s strategy to turbo-charge for efficient performance, the GTC Paris is powered by a small displacement, twin-scroll turbo-charged four-cylinder with direct injection – a range-topping 2.0-liter Turbo equipped with a six-speed manual transmission. . This punchy engine packs 213 kW/290 hp. Double camshaft phasing and twin balance shafts provide the basis of the engine’s impressive performance data. In addition, an Limited Slip Differential helps control traction without limiting the torque of this state-of-the-art turbo engine.
Yet with all this performance, environmental responsibility is not forgotten: Start/Stop technology keeps emissions and noise down in the urban traffic. This keeps the GTC Paris frugal without diminishing its sporty character.
Innovative technology enhances performance
The best of Opel’s compact car technology is brought to its sportiest level on this concept car. The chassis has a special design with an extra-wide stance for best possible performance and handling. In addition to the front limited slip differential, it has a compound crank with an Opel-exclusive Watt’s Link in the rear, and a new execution of the adaptive mechatronic FlexRide suspension..
The compound crank rear axle enhanced with the cleverly positioned Watt’s link enables the crisp handling and high comfort that is being celebrated on the current Astra. Keeping the advantages of size, weight and overall efficiency of the compound crank rear axle layout over a classical multi-link design, the architecture with its additional Watt’s link better supports lateral forces on the suspension while cornering. It also makes the car dynamic and agile without compromising on stability and comfort.
The GTC Paris also features the FlexRide adaptive suspension system, which continuously adapts to changes in driving style and cornering speed. Apart from a more rewarding driving experience, FlexRide also offers safety benefits in emergency situations as it enhances the vehicle stability in all circumstances.
Together features like these allow the sporty compact GTC Paris concept to make best use of the power and energy conveyed by its design.

dieselhead
3rd February 2011, 01:04 PM
Hope it drives as well as it looks. What a car! At least on paper and in the photos promises to give the French and German uber-hatches a fair run for their money.

Wraith
3rd February 2011, 01:43 PM
It just makes my mouth water everytime I see this thing !!!

Can't wait to see them here in the metal over the next year and a half or so...

Mechanical running gear and suspention sounds as good and even better than some of the top end hot hatch crop ATM, any numbers on the torque output ??

Also wonder if Opel are working on or getting their hands on any of the available twin clutch transmissions for their next gen of vehicles...that would be icing on the cake :D

Also wondering if they'll actually stick to the 21" wheel size for end production, I highly doubt it ?? as 21" rubber is a rare size with not much available...

dieselhead
3rd February 2011, 01:59 PM
I'd put my money on 19" and a toned down interior. Hope that LSD and that trick transmission stays though :)

metry
3rd February 2011, 02:37 PM
i gope they keep those front seats. as for the rims, i cant see them keeping the 19s because its a mission to find tyres.

Wraith
3rd February 2011, 05:04 PM
i gope they keep those front seats. as for the rims, i cant see them keeping the 19s because its a mission to find tyres.

You mean the 21's :)