PDA

View Full Version : ECU updates

MCDC18
28th October 2004, 10:47 PM
Was wondering - has anyone gone to a Holden dealer to update or reload their ECU software for their SRi 2.2? If so why - were you experiencing particular problems or is their any performance benefits to be had?

My car's going into the dealer next week and want to know if its worth asking them to check for an update. I'm not experiecing any problems (except for the old revs flaring on gear shift issue raised by others in previous threads).

DoomTrooper
29th October 2004, 09:25 AM
i've got a 1.8 but i've had them update it and still didn't fix the massive flat spot at 3500 rpm
its terrible you feel power come on then just pause then kick in again at about 4500

Nem
29th October 2004, 12:12 PM
Mine had to be updated when I bought it anyways. It had the 2001 2.2 SRi problem where there was an automatic version of the software installed instead of a manual. I dunno if it's been updated since then though but it's been regularly serviced by Holden dealerships so I would hope so.

i've got a 1.8 but i've had them update it and still didn't fix the massive flat spot at 3500 rpm
its terrible you feel power come on then just pause then kick in again at about 4500
I'm sure that more just one of the shortcomings of the Ecotec engine and one of the arguments as to why a supercharger would work wonders in these cars.

MaximusSmurf
29th October 2004, 03:32 PM
I haven't had anythin done to my ECU, my SRI 2.2 hasn't been modded and i've taken it to holden for all of its 2 services. Didn't know anything about updates to the ECU. Got another service due in 5,000kms, maybe i'll ask em about it.

dan_kind
29th October 2004, 04:55 PM

If its considerable, i would investigate it being something other than an ECU issue, the maps arent _that_ bad, and i doubt any modifications the happy side of installing a rotary would cause a BIG flat spot..

sounds like a leaky injector/dodgy oxy sensor, they can be 'within range' so as not to cause the ecu to 'fault' yet still have painful effects such as the above mentioned, have you had it 'checked'....worthwhile putting it on a dyno and having a look at the graph, if the 'flat spot' is more than a few kilowatts out (i.e. from basic rising line) get it checked.

dan_kind
29th October 2004, 05:00 PM
Was wondering - has anyone gone to a Holden dealer to update or reload their ECU software for their SRi 2.2? If so why - were you experiencing particular problems or is their any performance benefits to be had?

My car's going into the dealer next week and want to know if its worth asking them to check for an update. I'm not experiecing any problems (except for the old revs flaring on gear shift issue raised by others in previous threads).

I dont think there is any harm in checking for ECU updates, but there wont be much difference between them. If there is a major fault a service advisory or 'flag' is raised, which will see each of the models that come in for service updated...there was one such update for the 01 Barina SRi...which had some major trouble starting due to a security/immobiliser problem.

I always get them to check for later versions of the firmware just because i like the idea of having any changes, however small they may be...

...how bad is the flaring? they all 'flare' to an extent to combat a few issues, mainly emissions, plus the electronic throttle is harder to get used to, so some people have to retrain themselves to lift of a split second prior to engaging the clutch

Turblue
29th October 2004, 05:13 PM
In my industry, firmware updates are a regular thing.

Advice.
1: An update does not fix all problems.
2: Changing firmware like you do underwear is nuts.
3: Firmware may in fact produce problems.

Spending a month reflashing 3000 machines to fix a bug that has happened once or twice. Only to discover more bugs... Priceless...!!

Unless the new firmware fixes a specific bug in your car that you actually suffer from, don't bother.

dan_kind
29th October 2004, 05:21 PM
With all due respect, surely Opel would spend far more time checking firmware than most manufacturers of hardware? Siemens or Bosch would have some serious quality control... *shrugs* upgrade upgrade upgrade upgrade!

Turblue
29th October 2004, 05:44 PM
With all due respect, this piece of hardware is worth two barinas, and is sold worldwide. I kinda think the the developent team know their stuff. And yet problems can occur in the most unsuspecting ways. This bug was extremely rare, but still caused a worldwide mandatory update.

Please don't presume. I speak with first hand knowledge. :D

MCDC18
29th October 2004, 05:53 PM
When I was on the phone to Holden to book my car in - the rep said they do everything else possible before considering reloading an ECU program. I think its because it takes so much time (half an hour I was told).

My rev flaring issue is not bad at all. While I to want the laterst and greatest for my car I am concerned that I could possibly get bugs that I didn't have to begin with like Turblue suggests!

Turblue
29th October 2004, 06:02 PM
Unless the update fixes a specific problem you are experiencing or it is a mandatory update, don't bother.

MaximusSmurf
29th October 2004, 11:04 PM
Sorry I think I missed something. What is this apparent worldwide fault with the SRI 2.2's? You all seem to imply that there is a fault that can specifically be fixed with firmware, so whats the fault?

Turblue
29th October 2004, 11:20 PM
I was not refering to cars......

Relax.

dan_kind
30th October 2004, 04:03 AM
...welllll so be it, as its not major drama to reload the version of the firmware prior in most scenarios (re: ecu) (maybe not for Turblue with multiple peices of hardware, over multiple sites) i havent had any problems thus far, so i will stick with my update regime and post anything strange, mind you, there are few updates available...

if the hardware is worth two barinas, does that make it worth one astra turbo? :)

Turblue
30th October 2004, 09:50 AM
Just contemplate the humble copier or printer you guys love to hate.

Range the price from $3,000 to about $1,000,000.

Still messes with my head working with this technology. It is fantastic.

DoomTrooper
30th October 2004, 01:10 PM
well good news is i've got my car booked in to be looked at by holden on monday
now my question is could the flat spot be cuased by my exhaust? want to know just in case holden says thats what is causeing it, the other thing is does suttons waitarah have a dyno and will they graph it for me if i ask them too so i can see the diff b4 and after the work they do?
one more thing
i had a service and they said they cleaned the injectors and replaced my pads and machined the discs, now my handbrake is looser, will they tighten it back up 4 me 4 free? not much good when i pull it up and the wheels don't lock, not theat i would ever do that though, the other thing is the car sometimes still has a little trouble starting, sort of only just kicks in instead of powering to life like normal, they charged me for an injector clean so wtf???

JasonGilholme
30th October 2004, 01:17 PM
I'm havin a problem with my corsa atm where it looses all its power when I'm going through a gear. The problem is very random so i can't narrow it down to anything. I had it serviced and got the injectors cleaned and everythin but its still doin it. Would the ECU need to be remapped or what ever??

Thanks

dan_kind
30th October 2004, 01:32 PM
well good news is i've got my car booked in to be looked at by holden on monday
now my question is could the flat spot be cuased by my exhaust? want to know just in case holden says thats what is causeing it, the other thing is does suttons waitarah have a dyno and will they graph it for me if i ask them too so i can see the diff b4 and after the work they do?
one more thing
i had a service and they said they cleaned the injectors and replaced my pads and machined the discs, now my handbrake is looser, will they tighten it back up 4 me 4 free? not much good when i pull it up and the wheels don't lock, not theat i would ever do that though, the other thing is the car sometimes still has a little trouble starting, sort of only just kicks in instead of powering to life like normal, they charged me for an injector clean so wtf???

Ok, does your exhaust replace anything from the motor back past the second oxygen sensor ? I.e. did you replace the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter? Doubt it would have much to do with the 'flat spot'.

INJECTOR CLEANER?!?! I hate those two words, recently i was involved in a situation where 'injector cleaning' scrubbed nikel from the inside of a fuel rail, and deposited it in the injector. NEVER get your injectors 'cleaned' unless they are going to pull them off, and stick them in an ultra sonic cleaner full of decent fluids. I wouldnt worry about it though for now, unless it refuses to rev past 1200 :p If your running a 98 octane fuel, you will find the cleaning agents in these fuels are enough to keep things 'clean' well towards 100,000.

I hate hearing about discs being machined...but i wont rave on too much :p

As for the not starting, mine does that now and then, does it just take a few more seconds cranking? or does it start then stop?

Put on dyno *nods* will help identify where the 'flat spot' might be occuring, holden will blame it on the exhaust of course :)

dan_kind
30th October 2004, 01:33 PM
I'm havin a problem with my corsa atm where it looses all its power when I'm going through a gear. The problem is very random so i can't narrow it down to anything. I had it serviced and got the injectors cleaned and everythin but its still doin it. Would the ECU need to be remapped or what ever??

Thanks

Dewd, does it occur with air co on? hot day? Sitting in traffic? change into second and it sort of goes 'blehhh'?

Doubt its an ECU issue...goddamn injector cleaning

DoomTrooper
30th October 2004, 01:38 PM
it cranks in about the same time except that it seems to just sort of crawl into life instead of starting quickly
no real good way to explain except that normally the tacho jumps straight up over 1000 but when its dodgey sort of struggles up over 1000

JasonGilholme
30th October 2004, 01:40 PM
it does it anytime it bloody wants to... shits me somethin cronic (spelling :bang: ).

Examples:-

1) Had a dude in an excel wantin to beat me so i dropped it to 3rd and nothing happened......put it back to fourth then into third again and away she went....bye bye excel.

2) Was taken off from a set of lights going through second and lost all the acceleration i had, so i changed to third and kept going.

Its really weird, does it a night time, day time, hot day, cold day.

I got it serviced and they gave it an injector clean, checked all the electrical components, and road tested it and said it was fine. but it's not :bang:

Any ideas???

Thanks

Jason

DoomTrooper
30th October 2004, 01:50 PM
u need to be able to reproduce it for holden thats the only way they actually take u seriously is if u show them personally

JasonGilholme
30th October 2004, 01:54 PM
That means i could be driving around for hours. Flag that.

Could it be any of the sensors??? Can you clean them yourself with some sort of electrical cleaner ie ISOPRO or somethin??

dan_kind
30th October 2004, 01:56 PM
Odd fault thats for sure, dyno ! :)

JasonGilholme
30th October 2004, 01:57 PM
Don't have enough money lyin around to just throw it on a dyno.... although it would be fun, and a good idea. Maybe another time :D

dug74
30th October 2004, 03:19 PM
Don't have enough money lyin around to just throw it on a dyno.... although it would be fun, and a good idea. Maybe another time :D

It only costs about $50 and im doing it on the 27th November..:D

JasonGilholme
30th October 2004, 03:34 PM
where are you doing that. I saw a post about a dyno day is that the one???

dug74
30th October 2004, 04:04 PM
Dyno Day (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=3471)

Turblue
1st November 2004, 08:22 PM
Sorry... not going to bite..!!!!

dan_kind
1st November 2004, 08:23 PM
Just contemplate the humble copier or printer you guys love to hate.

Range the price from $3,000 to about $1,000,000.

Still messes with my head working with this technology. It is fantastic.

Hehe a bit like the continual banding on the DC1250 ? Or the upgrade to reduce banding that required other parts and bits and peices?

dan_kind
1st November 2004, 08:26 PM
Sorry... not going to bite..!!!!

how is it that you ended up putting that post prior to mine :P