PDA

View Full Version : GM pulling out of DTM in 2006 - doh!

jch75
28th October 2004, 10:09 PM
ITR statement on GM’s decision
ITR Chairman Hans Werner Aufrecht made the following statement regarding today’s press release by GM concerning the DTM: “It is with regret that the ITR has learnt of GM’s decision that it does not plan for Opel to participate in the DTM programme for 2006. GM’s decision is simultaneously a demand to develop the DTM with even more commitment and to further consolidate it as the best presentational platform for production car sports. The series will remain in place - even after 2005. Whoever witnessed this year’s finale in Hockenheim knows how immensely popular the DTM is and how well it goes down with its customers, the spectators. Together with the DMSB and the participating manufacturers, ITR will strive to continue expanding its popularity with spectators, to extend its media values for TV and print even further and to encourage other manufacturers into joining the DTM. This racing series’ value for money is a paragon for all categories in motorsports. The DTM has weathered many a storm and has always come out the stronger. Our partners in the series as well as broadcasting partner ARD are exceedingly loyal to the DTM and its responsibilities, and we therefore especially now want to show that the successful expansion of the DTM will continue in 2005 as well.”

jch75
28th October 2004, 10:12 PM
http://www.dtm.de/newsausgabe.en.php?id=2307

What do you think about that? I reckon DTM rocks and I reckon the Vectras look sick! They are racing the Mercs and Audi's - why the hell would you pull out? The drivers are ex-F1, the cars are fast and they corner wickedly...................... to sell cars, you need to be in motorsport.

ultim8DTM5
28th October 2004, 10:19 PM
I hope the private teams stay on. DTM is awesome, BMW hasn't been the same since it pulled out of DTM...unless GM goes f1????? :shock:

blackSRi
28th October 2004, 11:44 PM
It's an absolute darn shame - bye bye Astra Xtreme (the only V8 Astra). :(

The awesome DTM Opel Astra V8 Coupe runs a 460hp 4-litre V8 - and enormous ventilated carbon brakes. Nowhere are those brakes more in evidence than at the Norisring racetrack. Ventilated 380-millimetre carbon discs and six-piston aluminium calipers at the front, ventilated 340-millimetre carbon discs and four-piston aluminium calipers at the rear - this is the standard braking system for DTM race cars.
The Opel DTM Race Car (http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1624/article.html)

I wonder if this is all tied in with the losses in Europe? And the trials of Opel in Germany? see http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=3515&highlight=

KevinFok
29th October 2004, 01:11 AM
probably since that opel hasnt been in the top three spots for years

their cars just cant compete with the Audis and Mercs

jch75
1st November 2004, 08:18 PM
probably since that opel hasnt been in the top three spots for years

their cars just cant compete with the Audis and Mercs

I don't really agree with that. If the cars reflected the road versions then i would say "sure", but the fact is these cars are nothing like the road cars. They are rear wheel drive to start and run V8s. Opels are fwd and not v8. Like the v8supercars - this series does not reflect true bmw, audi or opel. But I see your point.

R3N
2nd November 2004, 12:31 AM
Alot of these has to do with funding, Audi and Merc have alot of money, just like the F1 teams, how come Ferrari dominates and not BAR Honda... maybe they can't afford to run their cars anymore? :screwy:

blackSRi
2nd November 2004, 03:18 AM
It's all about money, it's just too expensive when the firm is losing money.
I was told by the fansite that each car is worth over €330,000 - (AUS$562,000), and they have 2 of them (2 racing,one presumes 2 complete spares?) - that's a bit of moolah - plus other spares, engines, tyres, etc...

R3N
2nd November 2004, 04:31 PM
and the amount of money that goes into R&D of their DTM cars which might not be at all useful or applicable to their road cars

jch75
2nd November 2004, 10:58 PM
All good points. Funny thing is, from a GM perspective, do you really think they get into MotorSport? I tend to think not which is a major gripe I have.................... Okay, there is the corvette - but why the hell don't they have more true sports cars??? I know the obvious answers..................

In my time, wins on the track = wins in the show room and I think GM need to concentrate on this a fair bit and have a road car that resembles the feat. No point saying V8supercars are Holden Commodores even though it does provide some buyer drive. Look at the CV8 in Nations Cup, it basically is a 427 (what a joke.....cv8 my butt) In my opinion, a VW R32 kicking butt in the GTP is more impressive. GTP is what they should be aiming to dominate and similar categories around the globe. This is why I am keen on a SSX or a Torana because they should be able to take on the Rex and the Evos (on the track). Yeah, an Sv300 will kill them all in a straight line!!!!