PDA

View Full Version : Rant about idiots who dent your car in the carpark!

steinmetz
13th January 2011, 05:12 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just need to get this off my chest to some fellow car lovers.

I recently discovered my cars first non "general wear and tear" dent.

The worse thing is I had just finished a 2 day detail of the car and it was looking very schmik (always the way with these things is it not?)

Well a week passed after the detail and I decided to give her a wash (a weekly ritual anyway) and to my horror I noticed the dent on the rear drivers side wheel arch where it just meets the bodykit (AH Astra Turbo)

So it obviously happened in the week between washes, now I am very carefull about where I park, I usually aim for a pole or bollard or island or whatever and get up as close to that as I can so as to expose only one side of the car to potential car terrorism. Or failing that I always go for a paralell park.

And this was of course no exception, and I did not notice anyone parking near the car on any occasion, which leads me to the conclusion the assault happened in the time it took me to be done with my business.

This sort of thing really disgusts me. IMO its primal behaviour that belongs in the annals of humanitys dark ages.

It has NOTHING to do with wether or not you are an automobile enthusiast, it has EVERYTHING to do with a basic level of respect for ones fellow man, and their property which they WORK HARD in order to acquire.

How would these people who justify such actions with the notion that it is "just a car" (property) feel if I came to their house (property) and took a bloody sledgehammer to the side of it "accidentally"

And then when questioned about it explain to them that it is just a house, therefore they need not get so upset about it.

And furthermore it is NOT normal for cars to be covered in dents along the side of it. They are a completely PREVENTABLE issue, all it takes is a bit of care and the SLIGHTEST bit of extra effort, and most of all RESPECT for ones fellow man.

I can accept stones that fling up on the road and cause a dent, I can accept things such as spider webbing forming in my paint and swirls because its so damn dusty in this country and simply driving causes them to form, These are all par for the course and acceptable wear and tear associated with every day car ownership.

But I cannot tolerate damage caused by someones laziness and general lack of care on top of their ignorance, as I said earlier, that is nothing less than primal behaviour.

I would argue that this, in a legal sense should be seen as wilfull destruction of private property, just as it would if I claimed I accidentally hit your house with a sledgehammer, it is clearly a violation of another persons rights, and should be treated as such.

The same should go with this IMO, if your so self centered and lazy and ignorant, and have such a low level of respect for your peers, you should face criminal charges for it.

It might sound punitive, but it is definitely how I feel about it right now.

Rant Over:swg:

Ice
13th January 2011, 05:21 PM
haha, i know how you fell buddy, infact im sure we all do....there is just nothign that can be done about it unless you catch them doing it. As you say the best way to avoid....."car terrorism" is to try park away from alot of cars and/or beside a bollard so only one side is exposed.

I feel your pain but youll have to grit your teeth and accept it :(

ive had 3 windscreens in the place of 4 months and its because the f**kstick truck driver didnt cover his load properly resulting in a cracked windscreen.

Try thinking of Karma....someone somewhere will do the same to them one day, whether it be a dint in their panel work or to spit in their coffee or something.

guy 27
13th January 2011, 05:45 PM
theres a reason you will just about never see my car parked in a public carpark and if it is its always too far away for anyone else to park.

nuggz
13th January 2011, 05:59 PM
saw it parked plenty in tassie =P

ROCCO
13th January 2011, 11:47 PM
Dude that was a bloody decent rant but I totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNEEQ
14th January 2011, 01:36 AM
I hear that... My car has a smattering of small dents now. Fortunately some will disappear since my door has to be fixed and painted, and a couple of panels will probably be done for color match, but regardless. I shouldn't have to wait till some smackhead smashes a window with a screwdriver, bending the door frame and scratching all the paint with it, just to get at my wife's handbag that she shouldn't have left in the car, just so I can get the damage that some careless **** has cause because they can't take enough care.

Sorry to hear mate. Hopefully you can get it fixed with a dentless dude rather than respray.

GreyRex
14th January 2011, 09:33 AM
My philosophy... absolutely no one cares at all. The people that do tend to be so minor it's insignificant

I completely understand your pain. I've had my car keyed... twice. The bonnet and the door, on separate occasions. Then the repair job was crap. Now I have a scratch above one of my wheels. Every blemish on my car in the 3.5 years i've had it has been done by someone else. If you do try to park waaaaaaaaaay over to the side of a single car spot, all Mr/Mrs Average sees is a bigger spot for them to be able to swing their doors open... not where they're actually meant to park. Tbh i'm at the point now where I don't care.

lithium
14th January 2011, 12:18 PM
My philosophy... absolutely no one cares at all. The people that do tend to be so minor it's insignificant

yup, that's my experience too. 95% of car owners aren't enthusiasts so they don't care at all. most of them don't know how to check the oil in the engine!

i understand where the OP is coming from and it really sucks when stuff like this happens. to you it's your pride and joy but to everyone else it really is 'just a car'. gotta suck it up and move on - if it really bothers you get it fixed, it's just money after all.

Wraith
14th January 2011, 01:36 PM
It's bound to happen, it's only a matter of time unfortunately, after any new car purchase one will always dread the day something like that happens and it most often does if it's going to be exposed to everyday usage...

I've of the opinion that unless you have a very expensive vehicle, or one that you love that much you can't live to see it damaged in that way, get a bomb or lesser car as an everyday...of course it does mean more costs all around but the choice to do so is certainly there...

steinmetz
14th January 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the replys and general understanding guys.

That is just what I needed to hear.

I know its inevitable but I just can't stop the frustration welling up inside me,

I am seriously thinking of getting a bomb for an everyday runner but I dont think my significant other will agree to it, she already thinks im crazy enough as it is for worrying about a dent that she reckons you can barely see lol

metry
15th January 2011, 02:23 AM
How would these people who justify such actions with the notion that it is "just a car" (property) feel if I came to their house (property) and took a bloody sledgehammer to the side of it "accidentally"

And then when questioned about it explain to them that it is just a house, therefore they need not get so upset about it.
Rant Over:swg:

i have a jack hammer at home. now i know when i can use it ;p. totally agree with you mate. i hate going to the shops. i try park away from people but i find even when i park on my own some idiot has to park next to me. im heaps carefull with my cars and i treat other peoples cars like i would my own because i like to think that if i do that people will treat me the same (i know very untrue). little kids are the biggest problem imo. they just swing the doors open without looking

steinmetz
15th January 2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah but that is because their ignorant retarded mongoloided parents obviously have not brought their kids up with human decency and respect for other peoples property.

My father (not so much my mother) would never have let me swing open a car door and damage either his door or the other persons, and that has always stuck with me, and now that I am a car owner myself I can appreciate it even more.

metry
15th January 2011, 09:47 AM
yeh same. as a child i was never allowed to eat in a car and i was never allowed to swing doors open aswell. i still dont do either and the only food in my car is a bottle of coke for my father cause he incase he has a hypo a diabetic

KingOfAstras
15th January 2011, 12:11 PM
Some douche scuffed some paint off my car on the rear wheel arch/rear bumper joint - Pretty peeved as its noticeable when you just wash it. But unfortunately wankers who can't drive cars get given a licence.

AfterBurner
15th January 2011, 12:16 PM
Couldn't agree more with all the posts here in this thread...

I had a neighbour trash my brand new Rego plates like 2 days after i got em, fkn wankers in 4WD's with tow bars, trying to park in a spot barely big enuff for a small car...

My old man also copped a pushed in headlight & big black marks over his bumper when he went in to the shops last week... No note left or anything... Typical... How could sm1 not notice doing that FFS...!

mmahle
15th January 2011, 02:45 PM
Dude, you've got nothing on me.

My car has been keyed TWICE. One on the door, and then another ALL OVER THE CAR, which resulted in all panels being re-sprayed. I've also had my side mirror smashed TWICE. One by someone who was driving to bloody close, and another that was apparently "Kicked" off, so that the metal broke from the car.
I've also had someone recently hit the right rear side of my car, because apparently they can't park properly.

So yeah, we feel your pain, but unfortunately you have to just grunt and bear it.

Red AH SRI T
15th January 2011, 08:34 PM
Basically humans are duma$$ cu.nts

tomtom
15th January 2011, 11:07 PM
sorry to hear about that man that shit is horrible.

Similar to you, i always try to park with only 1 side exposed and cram to the safe side as close as I can. One thing that i do though which i actually think is a pretty good idea (if i must say so myself :P) is to park next to the NICEST car you can - preferably nicer than yours. My logic is that someone with a TTRS is most likely gonna be a bit more aware about their body panels than me and will return the courtesy of being careful.

As you would know owning a H coupe, the doors are freaking long and I've pretty much never gotten out with the doors open properly and instead just squeeze myself out as to make sure i dont smack someone else's car or damage mine. I also always warn my passengers about throwing the door open. The missus has heard it enough times now to be automatically careful :)

The worst part though is even if we all take these careful but relatively simple measures, other people simple do not give a shit. Sometimes if i've been forced to park between 2 cars really close (both are on the edge of their lines...) I take a picture so i have both their licence plates. Sounds slightly obsessive but you wont think its overkill when you get back with a pretty little dint on the side and a scrape on your mirror!

poita
15th January 2011, 11:15 PM
i found a solution to fix this, buy a calibra

its never on the road long enough to be able to take it anywhere

so it just sits in your driveway, cant get dinted if it doesnt go

metry
16th January 2011, 12:46 AM
sits in your driveway, cant get dinted if it doesnt go

till the dumbass neighbours kid bombs a footy over the fence or hits a cricket ball "for 6"

poita
16th January 2011, 07:15 PM
till the dumbass neighbours kid bombs a footy over the fence or hits a cricket ball "for 6"

the only concern i have is if a wheel flies off a zimmer frame, none of my neighbours are under 70

metry
17th January 2011, 09:35 AM
the only concern i have is if a wheel flies off a zimmer frame, none of my neighbours are under 70

nice my youngest one is 62 although kids play cricket in the culdesac when they come to visit their grand parents