PDA

View Full Version : Can I program/encode a blank ECU with an OP-COM?

OzStick
13th January 2011, 01:08 AM
Hi All,

As per the thread title, I am wanting to know if I can program a blank ECU to my 2001 SRi Barina via the OP-COM.

For some time the car has been playing up and refused to clear certain errors even after the implied faulty components (O2 Sensors and throttle body) were replaced but it was still possible to drive it 'normally'. However now the OP-COM is detecting error to do with the Knock Sensor and MAF in addition to o2 and TB related error codes which is just not logical.

SO I have been hunting around for the best way to replace/repair the ECU and according to one mob in the UK they can send me a replacement ECU which has been 'blanked' and it will need to be coded to my car, which makes sense. THey advise this can be done using a Tech2 unit whcih invariably means a trip to Holden (no thanks!) but they also mentioned I should be able to code it with the OP-COM as well.

Has anyone here replaced a faulty ECU in their Z18XE powered vehicle and coded it with an OP-COM? Alternatively has someone supplied Holden with an ECU they sourced themselves and had Holden code it?

I'm just looking for the best way of getting my car back on the road and I'm open to any sensible suggestions!

Cheers,
Chris

hazrd
13th January 2011, 11:00 AM
I could be wrong, but ive never heard of an ECU being reprogrammed by an OP-COM unit.... although it makes sense if you had the right software to perform it then it could be done... because the software supplied with an OP-COM is just generic diagnostic software...

Nurb608
13th January 2011, 11:44 AM
Pretty sure you need the full Tech-2 to be able to do that.

poita
13th January 2011, 11:47 AM
as far as im aware the op-com is only used for diagnostics

not reading and writing ecu's. like rory has said you will need the full tech 2 to do this

OzStick
13th January 2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah I'm not sure that's the best way to go - the last thing I want it to get stuck not being able to get the car running then have to get it towed to Holden and them charge a bomb to do it with a Tech2.

I've had a reply from another mob in the UK who tell me it's £250 (just under $400) to diagnose and repair my ECU and that way all I need to do it bolt it back on to the engine, plug in the 2 looms and it's ready to roll. They give a 2 year warranty on their repairs as well. Whilst the price sounds steep at first it is far cheaper than buying a new ECU from HERE (http://www.cyberspaceautoparts.com.au/contents/en-uk/p845_Holden_ECU.html) for $630 and still having to pay for it to be assigned and programmed to my car.

Keep'emRunning
13th January 2011, 07:00 PM
it's worth a try. The latest version can certainly sync the immobilisers and airbag units (and there are ways to get the actual trans keys from the old ecu and program them into the new one apparently)

You simply need to be sure the replacement ecu is from exactly the same model/variant, if not you will def need a tech 2 to reprogram the firmware to suit.

edit: you could also simply call a wreckers with your vin and most likely you will be able to buy the ecu,immob and airbag unit + keys, you just need to swap them over (few hour job)

All Auto Spares in Syd would be the best bet.

gman
14th January 2011, 12:23 PM
Have a look at this:

http://www.tek-tronics.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=119

Might help.

nuggz
14th January 2011, 12:38 PM
i bought a spare replacement for my 2001 vectra for around $100
includes ECU, immobilizer and transponder chips

have a look on ebay.co.uk
or find some UK wreckers