PDA

View Full Version : Astra Throttle Body Issues

Wonky
11th January 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi People,

My usual forum is ls1.com.au where I spend far too much time :lol: but joined here hoping someone could help me with an issue my wife's Astra has started having.

It's a mid 06 build 1.8 petrol AH Astra (manual) with approx 70,000km on the clock and has started displaying the check engine warning. We've had it checked and the codes it's throwing are P1120 and P1550.

P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 High Input C-008
P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Low Input C-008
P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Range/Performance C-008
P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 and 2 Signal Incorrect Ratio C-008
P1550 Electronic Throttle Control Power Management C-032
P1550 Electronic Throttle Control Reduced Power C-032
P1550 Electronic Throttle Control Forced Idle C-032
P1550 Electronic Throttle Control Engine Stop C-032

Apparently the normal solution is to buy part 09196357 which is a kit of various parts. However, even at my ex-Holden employee’s price it’s still around the $600 mark!! http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/images.ls1/smilies/sm_shocked.gif Such failures are apparently not uncommon so depending on price they want it’s possibly not worth getting one from a wrecker.

My questions are a) anybody know of wreckers around Melbourne likely to have Astras? b) I have no idea how these work but is it worth running throttle body cleaner through in case the problem is some gunk in there, or even giving the throttle body a clean, or am I clutching at straws? Any other suggestions please?

Thanks,
Gary

Wonky
13th January 2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks to someone on LS1 I found a local wrecker with one for $250 with 6 month warranty so will give it a go given we're pretty broke after paying for a wedding recently.

OzStick
13th January 2011, 01:17 AM
Hi Wonky,

I have a raft of issues with my Barina SRi, some of which are similar to the errors you're getting. I bought some carby cleaner and used it to clean a heap of crap out of the throttle body and it did clear one "bout" of issues we had with the car losing all throttle response from the engine due to the throttle butterfly not closing properly because of all the crap in there!!!

You haven't mentioned any symptoms but if the car seems sluggish, or you get fluctuating idle, or you completely lose throttle pedal response then build up in the TB could be the cause. If so it's a cheap fix!

Just be aware though that the errors may not simply go away if that was indeed the problem - you'll need to reset the error codes.

As for a wreckers in Melb to get Vauxhall/Opel bits from, try Kumbak - www.kumbak.com.au as they have truckloads of stuff.