PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Opel on sale in Australia by 2012

GreyRex
11th January 2011, 11:24 AM
OPEL AUSTRALIA
Following reports last year that a local launch was on the table (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50767/opel-to-expand-reach-to-australian-market), General Motors has today announced that its premium European brand Opel will hit the Australian market in 2012.

Among the models confirmed for Australia will be the Insignia (http://themotorreport.com.au/tag/opel-insignia) (winner of the European Car of the Year award in 2009) along with the new Astra (http://themotorreport.com.au/tag/opel-astra) (sold in earlier guises locally as the Holden Astra) and the recently upgraded Corsa (also sold in earlier incarnations as the Holden Barina).
It is unclear if other models, such as the small Opel Meriva people-mover (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/tag/opel-meriva), will make their way to Australian showrooms.
Speaking at the opening of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit today, Opel CEO Nick Reilly and Holden Chairman and Managing Director Mike Devereux announced the Opel export program.

“Opel will be sold as a stand-alone brand in Australia for the first time in 2012, but Australian drivers have a strong affinity with Opel vehicles like Astra which were previously sold under the Holden brand,” Mr Devereux said.
“Opel presents a new opportunity for GM in Australia with a growing demand for German design and technology at affordable prices.
“We look forward to supporting our sister brand establish itself as a strong competitor in the growing premium European segment.”

Mr Devereux acknowledged that models such as the Astra and Opel-derived Barina enjoyed a long and successful history in Australia before being replaced by the Holden Viva and the Daewoo-sourced Barina (http://themotorreport.com.au/tag/holden-barina).
Exactly how the Opel brand will be managed in Australia has not been confirmed, although it is likely that a branch of Holden's management - similar to the GM Premium Brands arm that once distributed Saab and Hummer in Australia - will be responsible.
Echoing comments made by spokesperson Andrea Kroemer last year, Opel CEO Nick Reilly pointed to Australia as a key market in the brand's international strategy, announced alongside Israel and Chile as the brand's upcoming export markets.

“Australia is one of the most important new opportunities for Opel as we continue to reposition Opel as a global European brand in markets like the Middle East, Asia-Pacific and South America,” he said.
“The interest from Australian media and public already has been extremely encouraging.
“Our German engineering heritage, award-winning design and sporty and efficient performance will help position Opel as a premium alternative in new international markets like Australia.”

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51268/opel-to-launch-in-australia-in-2012-official

PaulyJ
11th January 2011, 11:29 AM
Corsa VXR here we come!
oooooh this just made me go chub!

Nurb608
11th January 2011, 11:36 AM
Insignia family car :) Sorry Kylie, no corsa for you :p

Wraith
11th January 2011, 11:39 AM
That's great news and since it's finally confirmed, then now I'm a believer... :)

What this all really means to all of us with any interest in it is what the Opel product pricing/price points will be ???

Will they be the same/similar as when tied with GMH or more expensive on their own ???

This also now puts doubt for me getting a new VW DD and might consider waiting as I love the new Astra J...

2002_XC
11th January 2011, 11:39 AM
Insignia family car :) Sorry Kylie, no corsa for you :p

Bullshit! I want a corsa vxr why do you get all the fun cars and I get the boring family car? :lol: :p

2002_XC
11th January 2011, 11:42 AM
That's great news and since it's finally confirmed, then now I'm a believer... :)

What this all really means to all of us with any interest in it is what the Opel product pricing/price points will be ???

Will they be the same/similar as when tied with GMH or more expensive on their own ???

This also now puts doubt for me getting a new VW DD and might consider waiting as I love the new Astra J...

If Holden is part of the announcement I would assume they would piggy back of their existing import program to save costs although a stand alone brand

Nurb608
11th January 2011, 11:44 AM
Bullshit! I want a corsa vxr why do you get all the fun cars and I get the boring family car? :lol: :p

If you can afford both then fine :p

J
11th January 2011, 11:45 AM

Sadly Wraith, it will be more expensive, if this quote is any indication:

Reilly said that Opel cars will take a premium price position compared to when when they were last sold in Australia -- as sharp-priced Holdens.
"We will be taking a different price position in the market compared to Holden," Reilly said. "Our main competition will be Volkswagen, as it is in Europe.
"Australia has room for this European brand. We aren't competing against the mainstream higher volume brands that Holden competes against, rather we're competing with the likes of Renault and Peugeot and Citroen and so on.
"In Australia we have previously introduced Opel-based products under the Holden brand but I'm sad to say we never made any money from it. We are determined to make money doing it. In the past we haven't."
(taken from http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/holden/astra-to-return-to-australia-23173)

Let's hope the parts prices won't be any higher than they already are through Holden daelers!

GreyRex
11th January 2011, 11:45 AM
It's good news I guess, but just not really interesting in actually buying any of their products anymore..

PaulyJ
11th January 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing the Corsa would be up against the Polo, so prices should be around that range...

Wraith
11th January 2011, 11:51 AM
Sadly Wraith, it will be more expensive, if this quote is any indication:

Reilly said that Opel cars will take a premium price position compared to when when they were last sold in Australia -- as sharp-priced Holdens.
"We will be taking a different price position in the market compared to Holden," Reilly said. "Our main competition will be Volkswagen, as it is in Europe.
"Australia has room for this European brand. We aren't competing against the mainstream higher volume brands that Holden competes against, rather we're competing with the likes of Renault and Peugeot and Citroen and so on.
"In Australia we have previously introduced Opel-based products under the Holden brand but I'm sad to say we never made any money from it. We are determined to make money doing it. In the past we haven't."
(taken from http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/holden/astra-to-return-to-australia-23173)

Let's hope the parts prices won't be any higher than they already are through Holden daelers!

Damn, hopefully they won't be too exotic in their take on it...

It's good news I guess, but just not really interesting in actually buying any of their products anymore..

Lucky for me I didn't bother with the AH so no gripes to worry about :p

Been extremely lucky after nearly 9 years now with the Cali too, that's one's an anomoly LOL :)

2002_XC
11th January 2011, 11:52 AM
When I was at Holden, they were making 500 bucks profit on the barina and 700 on the astra, I'd assume they would be a bit more expensive, but not overly

Ice
11th January 2011, 12:16 PM

Why dont you make that decision in two years ?

PaulyJ
11th January 2011, 12:19 PM
Do you think the Astra J will be better than the 250RS?

guy 27
11th January 2011, 12:22 PM

i think we will need go do test drives in both to figure that out. :lol:

Wraith
11th January 2011, 01:10 PM

That's a hard one...on looks alone I kinda prefer the AJ coupes even though the RS250 is ATM the best looking hatch 'that's available' in Aust IMO.

If the VXR or OPC variants handle half as good that should be good enough for a DD :)

What will determine the outcome is as always - price...

guy 27
11th January 2011, 01:12 PM
What will determine the outcome is as always - price...

no, it will be which ones win the drag race when we take them out for test drives. :lol:

HoldenAstra
11th January 2011, 01:22 PM
how to start a spotted thread then?

good opportunity for opelaus.com

Wraith
11th January 2011, 01:22 PM
no, it will be which ones win the drag race when we take them out for test drives. :lol:

LOL

You won't be doing that anytime soon with the stealer sitting next you :lol:

sooty
11th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Good for OA if nothing else :thumbs:

Wraith
11th January 2011, 01:30 PM
Good for OA if nothing else :thumbs:

+ 1

I believe this forum would've in time gradually died out otherwise...

Wraith
11th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Oh forgot to mention, no need for all you Opel purists to de-badge/re-badge/Opelise etc. :lol:

Your new Astra or whatever other model will come with it.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2011/holden/astra-to-return-to-australia-23173

2002_XC
11th January 2011, 01:36 PM
Oh forgot to mention, no need for all you Opel purists to de-badge/re-badge/Opelise etc. :lol:

That was a given, considering they will be sold from Opel dealers and not Holden :lol:

hazrd
11th January 2011, 01:37 PM
when volkswagen announced the potential australian release of the Polo .:R i was sure it wouldnt end up coming here because there was no direct competitor for it thus not having a market for one.... now im sure it will come to AU because it will rival directly with the Corsa VXR :yesnod:

although... the amount of crap thats gone around the web in the last couple of years still leaves me to beleive they will be here, until i see the first Opel franchise open up here, because even though its confirmed, thats doesnt mean they cant pull the pin

Astra J for the missus in 2014 thank you very much

PaulyJ
11th January 2011, 01:39 PM
+ 1

I believe this forum would've in time gradually died out otherwise...

Spam thread would've kept it going...

hazrd
11th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Spam thread would've kept it going...

lol
OA would be a glorified chatroom ...

metry
11th January 2011, 02:10 PM
OPC yes please

poita
11th January 2011, 02:12 PM
do they make boats?

we could use a few up here right now!

Great news, time to start saving more for my Insginia :)

tomtom
11th January 2011, 02:36 PM
i wonder if they will service our cars :P

glider
11th January 2011, 03:06 PM
next car might now be an opel (was going to be a vag)

PO15KA
11th January 2011, 03:53 PM
this could be just in time for our new family car, around 2012 wife and i will be upgrading from Corolla and Astra to something bigger and safer... so if Opel AU will have the Astra station wagon and Insignia station wagon on offer in 2012 or a little later we will definiately consider them...

CNBLU
11th January 2011, 04:09 PM
Well was going to go for a vag but might wait to see either the corsa or astra vxr price range....

Vectracious
11th January 2011, 04:18 PM
if they are competing against VW - then their Astra pricing will have to be around the low 20's to mid-high 40's - as much as they say they want to be a premium brand blah blah blah - they are going to have to stay pretty close to VW to remain competitive.

And when the lease on the Passat is up in 2013 - definitely will be looking at the Insignia as a replacement.

Red AH SRI T
11th January 2011, 08:29 PM
Well with the imminent arrival of my Megane RS250 I won't be rushing out to buy one straight away, but I will definitely look at the new Astra OPC and consider trading up if the price is right and its better than the RS250.

Jerram
11th January 2011, 11:40 PM
solid news is good news. Great oppurtunity in Aus if they can get their pricing right and have proper main agent service centers. Good potential for oa as well (so long as the riff-raff is controlled) - maybe the owners might show a nice return in a couple years!

cdxi
12th January 2011, 01:04 AM
Well that's thrown a spanner in the works....

I'm due to come back to Australia in May after a year abroad. I had narrowed my new car search down to Golf GTi or GTD, Alfa Giulietta or Audi S1 (when it comes out 2nd half).

Now I'll have to rethink and maybe end up with an old banger until the Astra SRi hits the shores.......

The Insignia is too big.......had one here as a hire car for a while. Brilliant drive apart from the 6-speed auto. It's nearly Commode size so its definitely off the list. Plus, the rear is as ugly as a hatful.

Corsa is a bit small, so it would have to be the Astra...

Roll on 2012!

ChrisMaz
12th January 2011, 04:40 AM

opel-australia.com.au

I'd love to receive some Insginia pamphlets in the mail nearer to the release.

PaulyJ
12th January 2011, 07:54 AM

rjastra
12th January 2011, 08:22 AM
Reilly ruled out higher performance Opel OPC models being sold as HSVs (Holden’s performance partner) but says they could be sold in their own right, much as Volkswagen has the R brand and GTI for performance variants.

As with previous Opel-sourced models, the brand plans to leverage Holden’s local engineering ability to tailor steering, suspension, throttle response and other attributes to Australian tastes

I wonder if that means they will try to import Opel models with drivetrains already certified/available for Australia?

1.8L and 1.4T for the Astra? Will probably increase the possibilty of 1.6LT for the Cruze as well

poita
12th January 2011, 09:12 AM

opel-australia.com.au

I'd love to receive some Insginia pamphlets in the mail nearer to the release.

poita
12th January 2011, 09:14 AM
I'd say the ties with Holden in Aus are going to be very strong still, did anyone read the Privacy Policy?

It's plastered with GM Holden

Just a small extract, but it's mentioned over 130 times - http://opel-australia.com.au/privacyPolicy.html

GM Holden complies with the National Privacy Principles.

GM Holden respects the rights of individuals to determine to whom they give their personal information and how this information is used. GM Holden collects and uses your information in order to provide better customer service by striving to meet your needs and expectations about our cars and other products. We will not sell your information to any other organisation.

We will be fair and open about the way we collect information about you and what we intend to do with the information. We share information about you with our affiliated companies and related companies, like General Motors, Daewoo and contracted service providers, as well as dealers to assist them to improve the quality and standard of service they provide to you. We also provide information to industry bodies and others for the purposes of audits of our records. Our Dealers, affiliated companies and related companies share information with us about you so that we can learn more about your expectations of us and how we can meet them. Where practicable, we will collect personal information directly from you. If we receive information about you from someone else or provide information to someone else about you, like our Dealers or contractors providing services to us, wherever possible we will make sure they comply with the Privacy Act.

We will be open with you about the kinds of personal information we hold and what we do with it. We will strive to ensure that information about you is accurate when we collect or use it. Wherever possible and appropriate we will let you see the information we hold about you and correct it if it is wrong. If we do not grant you access to your personal information we will tell you why.

We will keep your information secure. Only properly authorised people are permitted to see or use it. We will take steps to protect your privacy if we send personal information about you outside Australia.

When we no longer use your information we will take care to properly de-identify it or destroy it.

If you are unhappy with the way we have collected, used or shared your information we will investigate and respond to your complaint. Please contact GM Holden's Customer Assistance on 1800 033 349 or email us at [email protected]

FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT GM HOLDEN'S USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION GENERALLY

(a) GM Holden's use and disclosure of personal information

Warranty

As part of the purchase of your new GM Holden vehicle, you usually obtain GM Holden's new vehicle warranty. GM Holden collects personal information from your GM Holden dealer when you purchase your new vehicle so that GM Holden can ensure that any warranty claim is properly administered.

If you withdraw your consent to GM Holden collecting your personal information from your dealer for this purpose, this will affect GM Holden's ability to process your warranty claims.

Product Recalls

GM Holden collects personal information from your GM Holden Dealer when you purchase your new vehicle so that GM Holden can ensure that you are contacted as soon as possible in the event of a safety related product recall.

PaulyJ
12th January 2011, 09:17 AM
That seriously has to be the biggest copy and paste I've seen in a while...!

poita
12th January 2011, 09:18 AM
yer realised how huge it was, edited

2002_XC
12th January 2011, 09:19 AM
Registered too

metry
12th January 2011, 10:33 AM
registered me and my dad (Y) should they come 2012, this would work out well for me because thats when i intend on upgrading cause i will be getting my full license late that year

Greg K
12th January 2011, 11:12 AM
registered.

Id be keen on upgrading the Mazda 3 to the Insignia Tourer OPC, if it comes in a few years time.

PaulyJ
12th January 2011, 11:19 AM
Well from what I've read, the OPC Corsa (VXR) will be available sometime in 2013. Perfect for me to upgrade.

Wraith
12th January 2011, 12:50 PM
when volkswagen announced the potential australian release of the Polo .:R i was sure it wouldnt end up coming here because there was no direct competitor for it thus not having a market for one.... now im sure it will come to AU because it will rival directly with the Corsa VXR :yesnod:

although... the amount of crap thats gone around the web in the last couple of years still leaves me to beleive they will be here, until i see the first Opel franchise open up here, because even though its confirmed, thats doesnt mean they cant pull the pin

Astra J for the missus in 2014 thank you very much

AFAIK the Polo R was always going to be intended for all markets that currently sell the Reno Clio Sport to compete (err blow it out the water as VW put it) with it...Aust. has that vehicle, so Polo R will land here :)

Astra J will IMO be a big hit here, even if the price point moves up under the Opel name...the Astra has always been mega popular since it 1st appeared in Aust :)

Wraith
12th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Well was going to go for a vag but might wait to see either the corsa or astra vxr price range....

So your not going for the Passat Gav. ? I'm thinking of holding off too on the Polo Gti now...had until March/April to confirm my order though...

Well that's thrown a spanner in the works....

I'm due to come back to Australia in May after a year abroad. I had narrowed my new car search down to Golf GTi or GTD, Alfa Giulietta or Audi S1 (when it comes out 2nd half).

Now I'll have to rethink and maybe end up with an old banger until the Astra SRi hits the shores.......

The Insignia is too big.......had one here as a hire car for a while. Brilliant drive apart from the 6-speed auto. It's nearly Commode size so its definitely off the list. Plus, the rear is as ugly as a hatful.

Corsa is a bit small, so it would have to be the Astra...

Roll on 2012!

You too, lol this has caught a few of us out :D

rjastra
12th January 2011, 01:45 PM
Well from what I've read, the OPC Corsa (VXR) will be available sometime in 2013. Perfect for me to upgrade.

Would have thought the Corsa would have been replaced by then. Its already been out in Europe for a few years now.

2002_XC
12th January 2011, 01:57 PM
Would have thought the Corsa would have been replaced by then. Its already been out in Europe for a few years now.

Considering the longevity of the xc, I would expect that it would be a while off

CNBLU
12th January 2011, 01:59 PM
So your not going for the Passat Gav. ? I'm thinking of holding off too on the Polo Gti now...had until March/April to confirm my order though...

You too, lol this has caught a few of us out :D

If anything i would have bought the polo gti with the works but not sure now.... :(

Nurb608
12th January 2011, 02:04 PM
Considering the longevity of the xc, I would expect that it would be a while off

xc was 2000 - 2006 so would be guessing 2013 would be a new model, however the corsa d update is being release this year so it may stretch out just a little more.

kabel
12th January 2011, 03:34 PM
If anything i would have bought the polo gti with the works but not sure now.... :(
I have had a Polo GTi since May 2010 as a work car>wish I had of put up with the Ford Territory for six more months and waited for the new generation Polo.
Have you driven one ?

[OPCSRi]
12th January 2011, 08:06 PM
Corsa VXR here we come!
oooooh this just made me go chub!........and one VXR Astra J for me. (BIG HARD ON!!!)

poita
12th January 2011, 10:33 PM
a greek automotive website

http://www.ixauto.gr/article.php?id=1413

Opel is preparing its entry into the Australian market in 2012. The product offering will include the company's Insignia, Astra and Corsa. The full lineup will be announced when approaching the start of sales. Mr Nick Reilly, CEO of Opel, told the Detroit Motor Show: "This launch is an important part of its strategy of international expansion of our company. Due to increasing demand of German design and technology, the Australian car market is an excellent opportunity for Opel. Australian drivers of vehicles much like Opel ». Australia is the third export market announced by the Opel within a few weeks. Opel has already announced the launch of the brand in Chile and Israel. Among the markets that are under discussion at this time included Argentina, Middle East, South Africa and China.
(This is posted on 11/01/2011, 11:50 pm)

Wraith
13th January 2011, 08:40 AM

Same here Gav. Polo Gti with the works only a signature away for me ATM...this threads put the brakes on DOH...

I have had a Polo GTi since May 2010 as a work car>wish I had of put up with the Ford Territory for six more months and waited for the new generation Polo.
Have you driven one ?

A few of us here have now, it's an all round sensation for what it is...I actually prefer it over the Golf Gti IMHO it looks better, sounds better, more efficient with the same or better performance (having driven both, I reckon it can out accelerate a Golf Gti from a stand still stock vs stock) it's far better value for money and bang for buck and interior ergonomics (centre dash/console) is better than the Golf IMO. It's main consideration is size, it's too small for alot of peeps :)

;644588']........and one VXR Astra J for me. (BIG HARD ON!!!)

Sounds good, would be awesome to see these in the metal :)

CNBLU
13th January 2011, 08:55 AM
Yeh i have driven the new polo gti and it was the engine and gearbox that made me purchase the Jetta 1.4 TSi. Its such a nice car!

Shadow110
13th January 2011, 10:22 AM
I was looking to get a 08' Vxr by the end of the year.
Reason it's worth waiting then the price will drop yeh?
I too came close to getting a polo tdi but finances told me otherwise lol. Gotta wait till oct this year.

Wraith
13th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Yeh i have driven the new polo gti and it was the engine and gearbox that made me purchase the Jetta 1.4 TSi. Its such a nice car!

Another twin clutch convert :D

BTW the Polo's 7spd twin clutch is a better operating unit than VW's 6spd unit, another advantage the Polo has over the Golf...

People don't realise how good some of these latest transmissions are...the BMW 7spd DCT is IMHO the pick of the bunch ATM, after driving a 135i and M3 with DCT, I really don't know how anyone would still want the stick shift instead...

Nurb608
13th January 2011, 01:19 PM

BTW the Polo's 7spd twin clutch is a better operating unit than VW's 6spd unit, another advantage the Polo has over the Golf...

People don't realise how good some of these latest transmissions are...the BMW 7spd DCT is IMHO the pick of the bunch ATM, after driving a 135i and M3 with DCT, I really don't know how anyone would still want the stick shift instead...

Probably people what like to drive a car rather have the car drive them ;) People are getting far too lazy these days to the point that they become reliant on the car making decisions once made by the driver. Just my opinion.

kabel
13th January 2011, 01:25 PM

My Audi has the 6 speed DSG transmission.
It is super smooth and the Missus loves it.

But I still prefer the manual transmission !

Wraith
13th January 2011, 01:43 PM
Probably people what like to drive a car rather have the car drive them ;) People are getting far too lazy these days to the point that they become reliant on the car making decisions once made by the driver. Just my opinion.

My Audi has the 6 speed DSG transmission.
It is super smooth and the Missus loves it.

But I still prefer the manual transmission !

All depends on what your definition of joy is and how much you enjoy the difference between the two, each to their own :)

I've grown up with manuals beginning with 3 on the tree LOL and always been a manual 1st buyer until more recently...

For me it's actually more fun, the slick/quick fail and mistake proof shifts with pops for upshifts and blips/rev matching for downships, super smooth and un-interrupted acceleration already has me wetting my pants compared to a manual...:D

It's much more convenient for daily use just like a regular auto and the bottom line for car enthusiasts is it's quicker/faster or more performance - that's what everyone wants :D

[OPCSRi]
13th January 2011, 02:04 PM
I with rory on this. The technology that goes in cars these day just doesn't make you feel your the driver any more. Give me a car any day that doesn't have traction control and an ecu to controll an engine..................Hang on!! I do. My SL/E Commodore.

PaulyJ
13th January 2011, 02:17 PM
Lazy...
Be a purist! Left foot in, change gear, release. *note* right foot stays planted the entire time :D

Vectracious
13th January 2011, 02:19 PM
;644813']Hang on!! I do. My SL/E Commodore.

which one - VH?? you need to bring that to the next meet.. :clapsmiley:

Vectracious
13th January 2011, 02:21 PM
Lazy...
Be a purist! Left foot in, change gear, release. *note* right foot stays planted the entire time :D

thats how Pauly drives all the time.

And speaking as someone who has a DSG - as good as the tranny is - a manual is more involving, always. It's why I can stand driving the CR-V (actually has a very very nice shifting 6 speed - much better than my old WRX and a million times better than the Vectra)

01CDsedan
13th January 2011, 05:24 PM
This is interesting news - I like the fact that Opel is coming back here. What I'm not sure about is whether they will have anything on offer that I would be interested in buying (not because I don't like the product, it's just that the product no longer suits my needs and lifestyle)

Maybe a hot hatch version of the Corsa as my daily driver, or a new Astra for the Mrs at some point down the line, but we really do need a large family car on the one hand and I don't want to tie up a lot of money in the 'drive to work' car on the other...

poita
13th January 2011, 05:41 PM
insignia = family car ?

Nurb608
13th January 2011, 07:41 PM
insignia = family car ?

+1

Shaun
13th January 2011, 08:04 PM

Hmmm people will now have to "Vauxhallise " there car to be something Special as Opel will be just another Brand now... LOL . Good news to see that they are expanding though and hoping to tackle Volkswagen. But i believe they will have battle getting the numbers up to Volkswagen levels as Volkswagen has established it self in Australia over a 10-15 years to the brand it is today with in the Australian Market. Not saying Opel cant do it but its not going to happen over night.
I think its a good step forward for the Brand though

poita
13th January 2011, 09:23 PM
Hmmm people will now have to "Vauxhallise " there car to be something Special as Opel will be just another Brand now... LOL . Good news to see that they are expanding though and hoping to tackle Volkswagen. But i believe they will have battle getting the numbers up to Volkswagen levels as Volkswagen has established it self in Australia over a 10-15 years to the brand it is today with in the Australian Market. Not saying Opel cant do it but its not going to happen over night.
I think its a good step forward for the Brand though

totally agree mate (first time ever i think :p )

and the thing that will hurt them is there was fark all service in the past from holden with astras/barinas etc

and many people had very back experiences, with lemon cars that had constant faults

fingers crossed they do well though, im quite excited about getting a new one :)

Wraith
13th January 2011, 10:13 PM
Lazy...

Ouch, poor car...don't anyone buy a car previously owned by Pauly LOL :D

and the thing that will hurt them is there was fark all service in the past from holden with astras/barinas etc

and many people had very back experiences, with lemon cars that had constant faults

fingers crossed they do well though, im quite excited about getting a new one :)

That's actually a good point and on that point I hope the peeps running it here will get their act right...

I also wonder if it'll bring back past Opel owners that had at least some knowledge of the cars that've purchased from GMH, again it'll probably come down to $$$ that they price point the Opel range in, I guessing if they go over the top compared to relative GMH pricing it might put alot of people off even if these newer Opel models are much nicer than before :rolleyes5:

01CDsedan
14th January 2011, 01:50 PM
insignia = family car ?

Too small. Unless the Insignia is substantially bigger than my Vectra C it wouldn't work - I wouldn't be able to use my Vectra as a family car as it's impossible for anyone to sit behind me. I should take some comparison photos to show you guys how much legroom is left behind the driver's seat in the Vectra compared to our SS :)

poita
14th January 2011, 02:21 PM
much bigger than a veccy from what i understand

insignia v mondeo comparo - will give idea on size
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/234818/insignia_sports_tourer_vs_mondeo.html

540L boot space - 1530L with seats folded down

Alix
14th January 2011, 08:50 PM
It's not legroom that's the real issue (I'm quite comfortable sitting in the back seat of my Astra) - it's seat width. We have three little kids, 2x car seats 1x booster seat. Can't get them across the back seat of an Astra, so my wife drives a Commode, and lusts after a van when thy get to school age. We expect to be somewhat of a friends' runabout - given there's three of the blighters, there's always going to be one of them dragging a mate along somewhere.

The new car seat rules mandate use of a booster seat until age seven now. Those things are reasonably wide (45cm+), and you need a bit of room at the sides to get to the belt buckles - much moreso than a baby seat. I reckon there will be a bit of a move back to bigger family cars/vans/4WDs as a result of the new car seat laws, especially in families where the kids are 4-7yo.

Shaun
14th January 2011, 10:24 PM

There is a 1st for everything :-p. I agree the problems with the current Opel Source products that Holden sold in the past may harm there assualt on Volkswagen. They Also need to do something about there paint on there cars as they chip too easy.

metry
15th January 2011, 02:17 AM
I reckon there will be a bit of a move back to bigger family cars/vans/4WDs as a result of the new car seat laws, especially in families where the kids are 4-7yo.

we have a zafira (although not completely an opel) and its a beautiful people mover. when you drive it, you dont feel like your driving a large car and it can comfortably pull 7 adults in it all off which are seated comfortably. hopefully opel bring out a people mover when they come

cyclonic
16th January 2011, 07:00 PM
Can't wait for this! I was thinking of saving for a Polo GTi, but now that the Corsa D will be coming, i've changed my mind. I'll be debt free in just over a year and a Corsa SRi (can't afford the VXR unless they pitch it at Polo GTi prices) will be calling me.

The only problems I have with this is:

*Opel will be piggy-backing on Holden dealers, meaning crap aftersales service,
*Some of the engines in the Corsa's are far too small to work here (the 1.2 will be a hard-sell unless it goes decently)
*Price-wise, they'll be matching against Volkswagen - how will the brand be marketed effectively? Car people know Opel but the average consumer has no clue, so the marketing is going to really have to push the "Premium German at value for money prices" message hard.

Red AH SRI T
16th January 2011, 08:25 PM
The only problems I have with this is:

*Opel will be piggy-backing on Holden dealers, meaning crap aftersales service,

This hasn't been confirmed yet. It is possible that they will say that Holden dealers can't be Opel dealers too. You'll find most VW dealers don't sell Skoda.

poita
18th January 2011, 05:08 PM
It's not legroom that's the real issue (I'm quite comfortable sitting in the back seat of my Astra) - it's seat width. We have three little kids, 2x car seats 1x booster seat. Can't get them across the back seat of an Astra, so my wife drives a Commode, and lusts after a van when thy get to school age. We expect to be somewhat of a friends' runabout - given there's three of the blighters, there's always going to be one of them dragging a mate along somewhere.

The new car seat rules mandate use of a booster seat until age seven now. Those things are reasonably wide (45cm+), and you need a bit of room at the sides to get to the belt buckles - much moreso than a baby seat. I reckon there will be a bit of a move back to bigger family cars/vans/4WDs as a result of the new car seat laws, especially in families where the kids are 4-7yo.

a little more info on the size of the insignia

http://ausautoindex.com.au/news/?cat=121

Of considerable interest in the Australian market is the Opel Insignia. Although generally referred to as a medium car, is comparable in size to the Commodore, and sold as a four-door sedan, five-door hatch and five-door wagon. The Insignia sedan/hatch are 4.83m long (Commodore 4.89m), while the wagon is 4.91m in length (Commodore Sportwagon 4.90m).

CNBLU
18th January 2011, 05:13 PM
Wow the manual Insignia specs look the goods!!

poita
18th January 2011, 05:16 PM
Wow the manual Insignia specs look the goods!!

:woohoo: :yesnod:

[OPCSRi]
18th January 2011, 11:19 PM
which one - VH?? you need to bring that to the next meet.. :clapsmiley:
I have two One is a untouched Varnician Red over silver VH SL/E one owner previous to me. Another is a rare dark wine colour (Carbonet Burgundy)
is getting a resto at the moment but it will be running a 355 stroker 3500 converter and 9 inch with 3.5's. Also KSport 8 and 6 piston 330 mm brakes and 19x8 and 19x9 Show Wheels.

[OPCSRi]
18th January 2011, 11:22 PM
:woohoo: :yesnod:Sexy on wheels I tell ya!!!:yesnod::arf::ihih::woohoo1:

ChrisMaz
19th January 2011, 05:28 AM
I'd say the ties with Holden in Aus are going to be very strong still, did anyone read the Privacy Policy?

It's plastered with GM Holden

Just a small extract, but it's mentioned over 130 times - http://opel-australia.com.au/privacyPolicy.html

Good post pete. After being offline for a good week and a half. I prey to any god out there Opel doesn't end up with HOLDEN servicing.

Plus, I've already got enough email spam from the single holden dealership i've ever been too.

EDIT:

Get excited..... Because we'll never see this in Aus.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/99272/2011-vauxhall-corsa-vxr-blue-edition-for-the-uk/

EDIT AGAIN:

Thing is, the sedan/hatch insignia looks shite from every side/rear angle. Just buy the wagon. DO IT

metry
19th January 2011, 10:29 AM
Get excited..... Because we'll never see this in Aus.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/99272/2011-vauxhall-corsa-vxr-blue-edition-for-the-uk/

big clean up at my house is now needed. man that thing is hot

Wraith
19th January 2011, 12:42 PM
;646285']I have two One is a untouched Varnician Red over silver VH SL/E one owner previous to me. Another is a rare dark wine colour (Carbonet Burgundy)
is getting a resto at the moment but it will be running a 355 stroker 3500 converter and 9 inch with 3.5's. Also KSport 8 and 6 piston 330 mm brakes and 19x8 and 19x9 Show Wheels.

NICE !!!!!

I'm also an ex VH SL/E owner, was a blue over silver example '83 model 5.0ltr with 'full house' extras, had it for 12 years was 2nd owner and outfitted it with all of the VK Group A (ie. the 500 limited edition VK blue Brockies) running gear, exept it retained the factory tri-matic auto :)

Sold it in early 2000, but still miss that car :(

rjastra
2nd March 2011, 08:26 AM
According to GoAuto the Opel Astra, due in Australia in 2012, is expected to carry a $3500 price premium over its locally built Holden Cruze cousin. That’s likely to put the Astra right in the firing line of the Volkswagen Golf.

It;s understood the entry-level Astra will be fitted with a 103kW/200Nm turbocharged four cylinder, with a predicted price tag of around $26,000. That places the model in between the $24,990 Golf 90TSI and $29,490 Golf 118TSI.

Holden’s boss Mike Devereux was talking about the Astra at the launch of the Cruze II. He explained, “The plan for the two brands—Holden and Opel—would be to have intelligent price points, intelligent approaches to content and technology.”

Therefore, we can expect the Astra models to be well equipped in order to offer value for the extra asking price. Devereux acknowledges the Opel won’t dislodge established players Toyota and Mazda from the top of the sales charts and has set his sights on annual sales in the 7,000-10,000 region.

Vectracious
2nd March 2011, 09:08 AM
a 3500 premium over a Cruze is actually quite reasonable. I'm assuming thats the 1.4T?

adam_92
2nd March 2011, 09:14 AM
going by what they are saying they are going to be very reasonable priced to begin with then they will probably increase with their popularity. but still with a predicted price of $26,000 for a turbo 4 banger that is very good pricing imho

hazrd
2nd March 2011, 09:43 AM
103kw?

:prrr:

Ice
2nd March 2011, 10:06 AM
103kw?

:prrr:

the volksy passat diesel is 103kw and it boogies ! no it doesnt get you there in 4 seconds but it still flies !

gman
2nd March 2011, 10:10 AM
the volksy passat diesel is 103kw and it boogies ! no it doesnt get you there in 4 seconds but it still flies !

Diesel torque and diesel gearing!!

Gotta live the new oil burners. They certainly can get up and run!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazrd
2nd March 2011, 10:17 AM

i suppose, considering mine used to be 110kw, but bear in mind, the Astra will more than likely be a medium sized hatch, and that 103kw isnt confirmed to be diesel either :(

MatsHolden
2nd March 2011, 10:48 AM
i suppose, considering mine used to be 110kw, but bear in mind, the Astra will more than likely be a medium sized hatch, and that 103kw isnt confirmed to be diesel either :(
103kw... It'll be the 1.4L Turbo petrol. Already on the Astra in Europe and also just included on the Australian built Cruze.

Shadow110
2nd March 2011, 10:49 AM
I wonder if it will do those little fart noises the golfs do when they change gear.

JohnBu
2nd March 2011, 11:00 AM
I wonder if it will do those little fart noises the golfs do when they change gear.

That will be the DSG, rather than the engine.

a 1.4l Turbo will be fine for most people. It will have a more fatter torque curve than a n/a 2.0 which will be good for everyday driving.

2002_XC
2nd March 2011, 12:22 PM

:rofl1:

Shadow110
2nd March 2011, 05:28 PM
Really??? I thought it was the way the turbo is set up to keep boost up at low rpm.
My cousin's perelli ed. does it too.
I love it!

ChrisMaz
2nd March 2011, 06:44 PM
Where did the pricing info come from? It may be a leak, but last night during the opel/vx chat conference they refused to offer pricing or even disclose pricing on any Australasian models or even when the astra GTC was going to be put into production due to delays with various manufacturers.

glider
2nd March 2011, 07:06 PM
Holden’s boss Mike Devereux was talking about the Astra at the launch of the Cruze II

Where did the pricing info come from? It may be a leak, but last night during the opel/vx chat conference they refused to offer pricing or even disclose pricing on any Australasian models or even when the astra GTC was going to be put into production due to delays with various manufacturers.

sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right is saying...

rjastra
3rd March 2011, 09:30 AM
Opel will offer its range through selected Holden dealers, with distribution and backroom logistical work handled by GM’s Australian subsidiary.

Weber confirmed Holden, which sold rebadged Opel vehicles including the Astra until changing its small and medium car source to Korean-made Daewoos mid-decade, had not welcomed Opel’s decision to sell cars under its own name in Australia.

Not sure this is going to progress smoothly...

JohnBu
3rd March 2011, 11:14 AM
Really??? I thought it was the way the turbo is set up to keep boost up at low rpm.
My cousin's perelli ed. does it too.
I love it!

Only really happens at higher rpms to keep the engine on boost.

Perelli is DSG.

Shadow110
3rd March 2011, 01:35 PM
Yeh it has dsg.
He was saying it does it both is normal and sport mode.

Vectracious
3rd March 2011, 10:44 PM
Yeh it has dsg.
He was saying it does it both is normal and sport mode.

it will do it in both modes - but you hear it more when it changes gear at higher RPM.

I thought the sound was more to do with the fact the car changes gear and therefore RPM so quickly with a DSG change, rather than keeping the engine on boost. My car makes the "fart" noise as well when it changes above 4000 rpm (when the gearbox works properly that is)

JohnBu
3rd March 2011, 11:41 PM
True- quick gear changes = keeping engine on boost.

Great gearbox, but I know mines a timebomb.

Vectracious
3rd March 2011, 11:52 PM
True- quick gear changes = keeping engine on boost.

Great gearbox, but I know mines a timebomb.

I thought you were going for a "DSG is an anti-lag mechanism."

Anyway - back on topic....

robcig
10th April 2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.opel.com/flash.html Those cars are seriously hot!! Can't wait. I contemplated a Fiesta Zetec for the wife next year. I think I'll wait a while.