PDA

View Full Version : FWD Falcon???

btm
11th January 2011, 09:44 AM
Ford Falcon to ditch rear-wheel-drive

Years of heritage could be axed with the Ford design chief all but confirming the end of the traditional rear-drive Falcon
The rear-wheel drive Australian-designed Ford Falcon is almost certainly dead.
Instead, the next generation Falcon due after 2015 seems certain to be part of a global front and all-wheel drive family of large cars.
Ford Motor Company’s global design chief J Mays all-but confirmed the news long-dreaded by Aussie 'Blue Oval' fans at the Detroit motor show today.
“I wouldn’t be holding my breath for a rear-wheel drive Falcon,” Mays told Drive. “I think the chances are we will be all-wheel-drive.”
Mays acknowledged the news would be met with shock and dismay among Australian Ford fans, who celebrated the nameplate’s 50th anniversary in 2010.

more here - http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-falcon-to-ditch-rearwheeldrive-20110111-19lel.html

hazrd
11th January 2011, 10:36 AM
I can see the bogan population only in commodores in the near future :p

although the racing scene might show a different outcome.... AWD FPV down a dragstrip? yes please!

metry
11th January 2011, 11:10 AM
AWD yes please. but fwd. thats clearly a step backwards

Hoss
11th January 2011, 11:22 AM
AWD is preferable to FWD. Will make the rules interesting for our V8 Supercars.

Vectracious
11th January 2011, 11:23 AM
AWD yes please. but fwd. thats clearly a step backwards

actually, if anything, staying RWD is a step backwards....

Wraith
11th January 2011, 11:43 AM
Knock Ford as much as you want, at least they already do FWD vehicles...

What about companies like BMW which are going FWD soon as well starting with the new model 1 series as I mentioned in another thread - sacrilege LOL :D

They'll also have IL3 cylinder engines replacing 4 potters :eek:

delemonte
11th January 2011, 12:01 PM
awd fpv down a dragstrip? Yes please!

+1 :)

hazrd
11th January 2011, 01:02 PM
AWD is preferable to FWD. Will make the rules interesting for our V8 Supercars.

i daresay they will keep the RWD drivetrain for that specifically....

rjastra
12th January 2011, 01:47 PM
A Falcon based on a FWD platform will probably mean the V8 will dissappear.

FWD = transverse engine. Not the best for a V8.

poita
12th January 2011, 01:54 PM
pontiac do it

rjastra
13th January 2011, 01:22 PM
pontiac do it

That's ain't a Ford though :)

Wraith
13th January 2011, 01:30 PM

FWD = transverse engine. Not the best for a V8.

Highly unlikely rj...ie if you go by the massive investment by Ford Aust. only very recently in the development and introduction on the new Cyote S/C V8's...

The FWD 4 potters will most likely replace atmo IL6's initially and then even probably the IL6T.

I believe death will eventually come to all petrol and possibly diesel powered cars as we know them beginning with the introduction of 'proper' electric vehicles soon like the Volt and Telsa which cover both ends of the price point spectrum ATM but will continue to grow with much more variety in future.

poita
13th January 2011, 02:44 PM
That's ain't a Ford though :)

i never said it was, just pointing that a fwd v8 is possible and has been done

Vectracious
13th January 2011, 02:50 PM
i never said it was, just pointing that a fwd v8 is possible and has been done

a lot of Cadillac's in the 70's were FWD V8's as well - didnt handle of course but they still made them.

gmonkey
13th January 2011, 04:10 PM

YAYYYYY making way for real racing

Bloodnok
13th January 2011, 04:17 PM
YAYYYYY making way for real racing

Doubt it. We'll probably end up with a formula with a "standard" V8 FR race vehicle, which is then painted / stickered to look like each sponsoring manufacturers chosen car. Much like Nascar, in fact...

Neeko
13th January 2011, 04:28 PM
"A switch to front-wheel drive could mean that both of Australia's indigenous large cars, the Commodore and the Ford Falcon, could end up front-wheel drive platforms at some point, with all-wheel-drive alternatives for high-performance models."

Taken from www.goautomedia.com

01CDsedan
13th January 2011, 05:27 PM
An AWD Falcon won't be any good if it's carrying a big, heavy engine ahead of the front axle line...which it will have to if it is going to be an AWD adaption of a FWD platform (ie, with a transverse engine).

Go drive a current Commodore or Falcon, then drive a Toyota Aurion and report back on which you prefer for driving pleasure.

gmonkey
13th January 2011, 06:24 PM
word was they were scraping v8s soon anyway.. and the 6s are becoming 4s

Vectracious
13th January 2011, 07:07 PM

if you can get 150kw and 320Nm of torque out of a 4 cylinder - and you are under pressure from governments, greenies etc to cut your emissions and fuel consumption - what can car makers do? Its business, they can't cater to enthusiasts who probably wouldnt make up double figures of their customer percentage.

rjastra
13th January 2011, 07:31 PM
Ford make an AWD Falcon sized car in the USA (TT 3.5L V6). I think any future Falcons would share the Taurus platform.

AWD... about 270Kw

http://www.tuneyfish.com/blog/2010-Ford_Taurus_SHO.jpg

Wraith
13th January 2011, 10:23 PM

That's exactly what BMW are planning on doing in the future beginning this year with the new 1 series, not Ford, as said the new Aust. developed Ford Coyote S/C V8's are here to stay and word is they're going to be used by the yanks on some of their range too :)

GMH apparently will bring in the S/C LS9 to compete against them or introduce a normal run of the mill S/C LS3 rather than custom S/C V8 Walkie jobs, either way it seems V8's are alive and well for the immediate term anyway :)

BTW BMW will also scrap the once heavily lauded atmo V10...

gmonkey
13th January 2011, 11:08 PM
ford were too.. if u recall the idea of a 4cyl falcon discussion just over a year back :P

gmonkey
13th January 2011, 11:09 PM
That's exactly what BMW are planning on doing in the future beginning this year with the new 1 series, not Ford, as said the new Aust. developed Ford Coyote S/C V8's are here to stay and word is they're going to be used by the yanks on some of their range too :)

GMH apparently will bring in the S/C LS9 to compete against them or introduce a normal run of the mill S/C LS3 rather than custom S/C V8 Walkie jobs, either way it seems V8's are alive and well for the immediate term anyway :)

BTW BMW will also scrap the once heavily lauded atmo V10...

oh and BMW arent scraping the v10 they are keeping that for the M5/M6 fairly certain, but no more v8

PaulyJ
14th January 2011, 07:48 AM
Go drive a current Commodore or Falcon, then drive a Toyota Aurion and report back on which you prefer for driving pleasure.

The Aurion without a doubt. My wife and I are about to buy an Aurion, and having driven all 3, the Aurion ticks a lot more boxes.
The gearbox is great and the power delivery from the 3.5 6 is beautiful. Handles pretty well for a large car too.
For daily 'normal' driving pleasures, which would be 95% of the time, definately Aurion.
For sick drifts and hectic sidewayz actionz, commo and falcon over the aurion.

ChrisMaz
14th January 2011, 08:05 AM

As above. The aurion has excellent power AND handling for a large car.

But you can't do gnarly skids in a FWD bro.

Oh and please don't buy the AT-X. Disgusting interior and even tackier than the 2010 XR6 falcon.

Vectracious
14th January 2011, 09:35 AM
My wife and I are about to buy an Aurion,

Please tell me you are joking.

hazrd
14th January 2011, 09:35 AM
cant even do hand brakies in the aurion...... because there is no hand brake lol (foot brake)

GreyRex
14th January 2011, 09:56 AM
The Aurion without a doubt. My wife and I are about to buy an Aurion, and having driven all 3, the Aurion ticks a lot more boxes.
The gearbox is great and the power delivery from the 3.5 6 is beautiful. Handles pretty well for a large car too.
For daily 'normal' driving pleasures, which would be 95% of the time, definately Aurion.

Please tell me you are joking.

It's funny... I had a mate who chopped and changed between dealers as a salesman a few years ago (2007), and would always be bringing a different car over when he saw me

He never ended up with an XR6, but he did get the SV6 and different versions of the aurion. Weird thing was (with both of being into cars)... we both preferred the Aurion!!

Never forgot the time we had some fun with a VL Turbo in a base model Aurion. Let's just say he got the shock of his life haha

Vectracious
14th January 2011, 09:59 AM
Never forgot the time we had some fun with a VL Turbo in a base model Aurion. Let's just say he got the shock of his life haha

They are quick cars, but people who drive them I think have a complex about having one - so you constantly have these middle aged men in their Aurion dragging everyone off at the lights and just acting like complete f*ckwits..... Then you get the owners who just can't drive for sh*t (hence why they ended up in something as dreary as a Toyota Aurion in the first place - because they just don't give a crap about cars)

GreyRex
14th January 2011, 10:07 AM
They are quick cars, but people who drive them I think have a complex about having one - so you constantly have these middle aged men in their Aurion dragging everyone off at the lights and just acting like complete f*ckwits..... Then you get the owners who just can't drive for sh*t (hence why they ended up in something as dreary as a Toyota Aurion in the first place - because they just don't give a crap about cars)

Exactly!!

Although i don't know about people actually owning them. Many are probably just fleets that the driver doesn't care about..

Wraith
14th January 2011, 12:43 PM
oh and BMW arent scraping the v10 they are keeping that for the M5/M6 fairly certain, but no more v8

No they're not...the V10 is getting replaced with a TTV8 !!! I've seen the 'insider' literature from BMW forums ;)

All BMW atmo V8's and V10's are going to be superseded...

FYI the M3 will get an IL6 turbo, 'insider' literature suggests a tri-turbo IL6 - 1st of its kind...

New 1 series will be 4 and 3 pot turbo powered, turbo 4 for the new 135i variant whatever it ends up being called...

There will also be an M2 in the future...as the M1 nameplate in taken...

Wraith
14th January 2011, 12:46 PM

Pauly I know a bloke with one of these (the S/C variant) and the only complaint he's got is the fuel burn...he averages around 16ltrs/100km, pretty high for daily use, otherwise he loves the thing and wouldn't part with it...

01CDsedan
14th January 2011, 02:00 PM

You're about to buy one? Good lord.

I had one as a rental in Tasmania for a week about two years ago. I agree that the engine and transmission are great; they are the only redeeming feature of what is otherwise a horrible car to drive.

I gave up on trying to drive it with any enthusiasm whatsoever on Tasmania's epic west coast driving roads. It was actually really tiring to drive because you couldn't get a rhythm going simply because it couldn't deal with corners. It would accelerate nicely between the corners, but you had to slow down soooo much every time you came into a bend that it was easier to just give up and plod along at normal Camry driver pace.

There was also practically zero steering feel and the one time I decided to give it an absolute bootful up a slight hill near Launceston to see what it was capable of, it torque steered and tramlined all over the place. The brakes were also far more prone to triggering ABS than any other car I've ever driven.

Still, hope you enjoy it :)