PDA

View Full Version : Supercheap Auto Torque Wrench

JohnBu
7th January 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm replacing my rocker cover gasket again and need a Torque Wrench.

how are the Supercheap Auto Torque Wrench on sale for $49 http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Torque-Wrench-3-8-dr.aspx?pid=214304#details

Am I wasting my time or should I just borrow someone's better quality one?

Nurb608
7th January 2011, 10:55 AM
Can't see it being too bad, atleast for the little amount of torque required for what you are doing. If you were doing larger jobs i'd get a better one. Just check what the lowest torque setting is first though as some of them don't start until a bit higher than what you may need.

JohnBu
7th January 2011, 11:12 AM
Good idea,

I'll check what torque the bolts require and what settings the wrench has.

03srit
7th January 2011, 11:20 AM
For the rocker cover I think it's 8Nm and the torque wrench I bought from sca before only goes down to 13.6 Nm so make sure that one goes down to 8Nm..

Rhino
7th January 2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't get one.
A 'little amount' or not, I want to make sure it is accurate, it'll last, and that I'm not wasting my money.

You could go with a Kincrome (I have two), which is better, not too pricey and better supported.
I wound the handle out on one too far. I took it back and asked them to get it recalibrated for me - at my expense - I was happy to fess up to that one.
I was told to just grab a new one off the shelf.

But everyone is different. I like to try and be as accurate as I can. If they specify a torque setting, then it is important.

I think I read a post on here from someone, answering the question of "how much is 8Nm?"...
The response, "Hand tight". LMFAO.

03srit
7th January 2011, 11:22 AM
EDIT: just checked mine and it's the 1/2 drive so it's not the same as that one on the link..

Still check what the minimum is though..

Nurb608
7th January 2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah, i use the kincrome one too ;)

JohnBu
7th January 2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe I'll borrow a decent one from someone as I'd doubt I'll use it frequently.

where is Steve when you need him :lol:

JohnBu
7th January 2011, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure 8Nm is correct.

boorny88
7th January 2011, 11:32 AM
i got two snap on torque wrenchs one electronic one i got give and a windie one i bought but neather go low enough for my cars torque specs so i will need to buy a 3/8 drive one when im back in the workshop to claim it haha

03srit
7th January 2011, 11:37 AM
I've got a kinchrome one that I bought when I installed my vxr turbo and it only goes to 10Nm aswell.. It's the 3/8 drive, deflecting beam type..

boorny88
7th January 2011, 11:42 AM
both mine the lowest reading is like 50Nm i think but its been awhile since i used them

Rhino
7th January 2011, 11:44 AM
I've got a 2-24 and 20 - 150 or something.

Would love a couple of Norbars.

Wraith
7th January 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm replacing my rocker cover gasket again and need a Torque Wrench.

how are the Supercheap Auto Torque Wrench on sale for $49 http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Torque-Wrench-3-8-dr.aspx?pid=214304#details

Am I wasting my time or should I just borrow someone's better quality one?

Yes, don't buy it - spend more and get a 'proper and accurate' one if your going to bother to select a torque setting for tightning bolts...otherwise you may as well do it the old fashioned way with any wrench tool...

I wouldn't get one.
A 'little amount' or not, I want to make sure it is accurate, it'll last, and that I'm not wasting my money.

You could go with a Kincrome (I have two), which is better, not too pricey and better supported.
I wound the handle out on one too far. I took it back and asked them to get it recalibrated for me - at my expense - I was happy to fess up to that one.
I was told to just grab a new one off the shelf.

But everyone is different. I like to try and be as accurate as I can. If they specify a torque setting, then it is important.

I think I read a post on here from someone, answering the question of "how much is 8Nm?"...
The response, "Hand tight". LMFAO.

+ 1 Agree

My Bro bought one not long ago ( I'm assuming but obviously not sure if it's the same as these on sale now) and after testing it out against one my cousin who's a mechanic uses, it's out by a long shot !!!

Alix
7th January 2011, 08:42 PM
I bought the Kinchrome 1/4inch micrometer (http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/search/product_display.php?partnumber=MTW150F) one from the big green shed a couple of weeks ago - was only $80, and came with a calibration test result (and a nice hard case to protect it when not in use). Worth the extra I think.

Only goes down to 13Nm though, so no good for this job. They had a 3/8in drive version (http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/search/product_display.php?partnumber=MTW80F) too, which might be worth checking out the specs for.

Shay
7th January 2011, 08:49 PM
john that one will be fine for what you need.