PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Australia, with Barina V6 questions....

Sloth
6th January 2011, 09:12 PM
Morning all (well it is here...)

Thought I’d introduce myself, seeing as this looks like the only site to cater for the Barina (Corsa) that I can find. Names Rob but everyone calls me Sloth, im a 24 year old mechanic who currently works for the British govt. I currently live in Hull in the U.K, but I emigrate to Boolarra, VIC on the 15th of Feb. I’ve owned 3 Corsa B’s, and 12 Vauxhall Novas (Corsa A’s) with various engines. Ive also owned a Barina XC a stock 1.2 sxi, which brings me here. When I emigrate to Aus my intention is to build a project ive been collecting parts for and planning for the past 4 years. I plan to fit the c25xe from a Calibra to a Barina XC. I know this engine will physically fit, im more interested in the legalities of this, seen as the road laws and rules are very different (I think). Can anyone tell me whether this conversion is ok? If its not I’ll just turn it into a track car....

I also moderate a u.k based Corsa owners club, www.allcorsa.co.uk (http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/) as a tech mod.

So, hello!

Nurb608
6th January 2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the site mate, another victorian :D

I'm sure someone will come along with the answer your after pretty soon.

hazrd
6th January 2011, 09:19 PM
very good engine choice :thumbs: the most reliable calibra motor!

in short, it can be done over here no dramas, you just need to have it engineered so that you can prove to VicRoads that even though it is a different motor to standard, it will still meet the relevant safety/emissions conditons :)

good luck, and welcome :)

Nurb608
6th January 2011, 09:22 PM
very good engine choice :thumbs: the most reliable calibra motor!

in short, it can be done over here no dramas, you just need to have it engineered so that you can prove to VicRoads that even though it is a different motor to standard, it will still meet the relevant safety/emissions conditons :)

good luck, and welcome :)

Forgot about that bit. That might be a bit hard considering the XC was made a few years later. Were they euro 3 and c25xe euro 2?

sooty
6th January 2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome to OA mate,
Gee, you're going to live WAY out in the sticks :lol: we'll no doubt come out that way for a cruise or something though, would be great to see the v6 corsa if it happens

Sloth
6th January 2011, 09:35 PM
the XC is euro3/4 dependant on engine, the c25xe is euro 1 iirc. i guess thats a bad thing? the other option i possibly have is finding a late vectra z32se and using its block/heads etc and fitting the c25xe plenums and ecu. thus the block says z32se, which is euro4 but it runs the correct inlet for my swap. cheers for the replies.

sooty, the wife is from there, back of bloody beyond apparently... im bringing the engine mounts with me from the uk, so it will be happening. :D

sooty
6th January 2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah i have a half uncle in mirboo north (neighbouring suburb)...it's errr....very rural! :lol:

stevedee3
6th January 2011, 10:02 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman]I plan to fit the c25xe from a Calibra to a Barina XC. I know this engine will physically fit, im more interested in the legalities of this, seen as the road laws and rules are very different (I think). Can anyone tell me whether this conversion is ok?Here's the place to start reading:
Notifying VicRoads of changes and modifications to vehicles (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/Modifications/NotifyingVicRoadsOfChangesAndModifications.htm)

Some more info here:
Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf)

Your proposed project reminds me a little of the guy who put an LS1 in an Astra... :smile5:

Shay
6th January 2011, 10:15 PM
Welcome mate.

In short no, im 99% sure no state in australia will allow you to register a vehicle with and engine older than the original, unless its the same engine model.
Rather than stuffing around with emissions testing and things like that thats how they draw the line.
**Note, im 100% sure this is the case in WA, and we are the least strict state when it comes to modifications and registering cars. hence why im pretty sure no other state will allow it either.

However, you will be able to register a XC with the z32, but they are very hard to find over here.

Sloth
6th January 2011, 10:30 PM
ah ok, section 11 of this:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

reads as though you can , but i guess there is more to it than just that one bit of paper... the thing is the z32se is a direct upgrade of the c25xe, same block dimensions, heads etc. i have to say its a bit daft that an older engine cant be fitted to a newer car. what about the hotrod boys who fit 50's chevy v8's to 32 fords?

Shay
6th January 2011, 10:38 PM
that does read as though you might be able to get away with it if you get a engineering cert.

the reasoning over here is that different bylaws get added nearly every year regarding the manufacturing, safety and environmental requirements of the new cars being released. ie back in the 70's crumple zones werent a neccesity, so everything in the engine was solid as a rock, as opposed to more modern times when even parts of the engine (mounts etc) act as part of the crumple zone. its easier for them to say, no you cant put an older engine in, than to check that the older engine you're putting in meets all the relevant requirements of the newer car.

and re: "what about the hotrod boys who fit 50's chevy v8's to 32 fords"
they're putting a more modern, more efficient engine in than what was originally there....

Sloth
6th January 2011, 10:45 PM
whoops, i got it the wrong way around, i meant new model stuff like 60's custom cars running early chevy's. or kit cars where its registered as a new car but has an older engine in it?

looks like i need a z32se.... as well as some serious reading.

guy 27
6th January 2011, 10:53 PM
Welcome to OA.

03srit
6th January 2011, 10:56 PM
Welcome! Sounds like an interesting build.. Looking forward to seeing it..

btm
7th January 2011, 11:20 AM
definitely sounds like an interesting build

welcome to the site and keep us updated! :)

Hoss
7th January 2011, 11:40 AM
Welcome to OA

adam_92
7th January 2011, 01:09 PM
welcome to the forum mate. your in for a hell of a change from englands road laws to australias road laws haha. im a geordie and moved here in april 2009 and couldnt belive the difference in the laws. if im correct i dont think your allowed to fit an engine to a car if the engine is older than the car. it has to be the same age or newer. on another note... NOVA... mmmmmmmmmmmm. shame they were never sold here though i would love a zlet nova... if only i was back in england haha

boorny88
7th January 2011, 02:22 PM
welcome to oa mate hope you enjoy your time here and asutralia wen u move hope the build goes well

Sloth
7th January 2011, 10:13 PM
welcome to the forum mate. your in for a hell of a change from englands road laws to australias road laws haha. im a geordie and moved here in april 2009 and couldnt belive the difference in the laws. if im correct i dont think your allowed to fit an engine to a car if the engine is older than the car. it has to be the same age or newer. on another note... NOVA... mmmmmmmmmmmm. shame they were never sold here though i would love a zlet nova... if only i was back in england haha

cheers mate, ive emailed vicroads to clarify and the muminlaws partner is looking into it aswell. there are a few zlet novas around over here, and lots in europe. im lookig into bringing one accross next year as a 25th birthday pressie to myself. it will end up with a c20let...

metry
10th January 2011, 09:34 PM
welcome to oa mate. currently theresa corsa redtop for sale here. cant wait to see the v6 xc though. looks interesting